• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Fitness Watch Spying Syndrome

System Name (2008) Dell XPS 730x H2C
Processor Intel Extreme QX9770 @ 3.8GHz (No OC)
Motherboard Dell LGA 775 (Dell Propiatary)
Cooling Dell AIO Ceramic Water Cooling (Dell Propiatary)
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4) DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB (2016 ebay-used)
Storage (2) WD 1TB Velociraptor & (1) WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Alienware 34" AW3420DW (Amazon Warehouse)
Case Stock Dell 730x with "X" Side Panel (65 pounds fully decked out)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Titanium & Corsair SP2500 Speakers
Power Supply PSU: 1000 Watt (Dell Propiatary)
Mouse Alienware AW610M (Amazon Warehouse)
Keyboard Corsair K95 XT (Amazon Warehouse)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate & Alienware FX Lighting
Benchmark Scores No Benchmarking & Overclocking
At the recent computer show I was checking-out fitness-tracking devices. A purported wonderful new health-oriented wearables trend? So many watch-tech choices with amazing fashions. Primary brands on display: Fitbit, Garmin, Withings, Suunto, Apple Watch Series and Taiyoko. Behind the folding table a beautiful oriental woman with painted cerise lips and her makeup so overdone for the occasion. When she bends across the table, like sharing verboten knowledge, I breathed in her scent…'L'Air Du Temps' a scent I know so well from bygone days. She was sporting a large blue name plate 'Nina Li.'

To my surprise she was quick to point out that many fitness trackers today may actually be spying on you? Besides the devices are also tracking people's whereabouts Nina hushed into my waiting ears. Per Nina, a user of a Fitbit, for example, could be happily walking around here at the show clueless to the fact that their every move is being recorded by outside parties scanning their unique Bluetooth address. My take away: "So it's not just me who cares how many steps I take, how many floors I climb, monitoring my sleep, my heart-rate, caloric consumption, etc."

Nina went on smiling at me and noted that a wide range of these fitness manufacturers are interested in getting their hands on this data about your body and that these companies brokering such fitness data to insurance companies, to authorities, a host of national healthcare providers, food and nutrition companies with deep pockets, etc. I ask Nina if there are any vanilla devices that simply "do not track?" Perhaps just do the basics? Nina said that most devices have one thing or another that violate ones privacy and that there are simply no easy answers and thus could not recommend a single fitness device to squelch my privacy and buying hesitancy.

FitBit and Garmin are the worst offenders and Apple watches being third, not even their proffered 'Privacy Settings' can be trusted and which are controlled through the privacy options on your cell-phone. "What kind of smartphone do you have, Nina then added?" Confused and uncertain and now my trusty smartphone access is being roped-into the fitness equation as well.

I did not buy from Nina, even though I had a hard time in keeping my eyes away from her fluttering eyes and her unrelenting smile. Meanwhile I read that the fitness wearable industry is booming and their total market valuation in 2021 is estimated to exceed $50 billion. So until further notice I will for now continue the old fashion way and have my body tell me what is best for me! Meanwhile I will however keep an eye out for Nina and keep on wondering!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Your real name is Tom Clancy right?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
aside from the dramatics, its true, data collection is by any means necessary, to turn a normal profit into a windfall.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I made a joke to my colleague who bought the first ever Fitbit watch that his wife would be wondering why he start running every night LOL
I pretty much predicted the future there ;).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I made a joke to my colleague who bought the first ever Fitbit watch that his wife would be wondering why he start running every night LOL
I pretty much predicted the future there ;).
Similar tale here:

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I like old school digital watches. Casio still makes great digital watches. Without those alarms and timers, I would truly be sunk. They track everything I need. No biometrics... maybe some of the highest end ones dip into smarter things. But come to think of it, my simple square G-Shock gets its time over bluetooth to my phone... :laugh:

But nah, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that highly valuable data was being bought and sold in yet another place. I don't wanna be apathetic about it, but of course if it can track you, someone will use it to track you. Maybe they aren't 'looking for' you per se - they don't want anything to do with you (not specifically,) but still.

Honestly, I could never have one of those things anyway. The hypochondria, you see. I don't really need to be knowing what my pulse is all of the time. I half thought this was going to be about people becoming neurotic from peeping their fitness stats too intensely due to wearing those damned things and plugging into the app - fantasy footballing their health and stuff. I mean... to me, that already feels like a thing that happens, and I just made it up!

Maybe it's good to have a prod like that. Maybe it gets some people moving and thinking. But is it worth it? I go with a pretty basic triangle for health. There is physical, mental/emotional, and ambiance/spiritual (basically things you keep and especially place around you, like your relationships, but could even be just your general environment.) The way this all stacks up, you have to keep them all up separately in order to get them working to boost each other. If you invest too heavily into one, but in doing so neglect another, your investment leaks out as the whole bar sinks. It's a matter of averages. The max attainable level for any one is determined in fair parts by all sides.

What I'm trying to say is, the tech toy making any waking moment another brief chapter in a long-running fitness game isn't doing my mental health any favors, and thus strikes me as a poor tool for pursuing fitness. For me, anyway. People aren't wired to crunch themselves down to numbers to that degree. I think we have an easy time putting ourselves there, and a VERY hard time seeing what it does to us until by chance it lets go or we simply realize and intuitively sunset it. If you can keep it as a little side tool, it's a killer side tool. But if not, I think you may get physically healthier for a while, but at some point that's going to burn you out as you lose sight of the value and gain a dopamine tolerance. Endogenous workout high still comes, of course. I'm still not cozying up to the associations building. I see the side that reinforces some beneficial habits, but also so many opportunities for rabbit-hole scenarios. I kind of just wonder to myself why we must gamify every intimate aspect of our selves.

Ultimately I just don't like the idea of picking up too many things that borrow from one area of your health to improve another. Easy way to stay in one place, gaining and losing in different areas at different times. I wouldn't call it the norm, but a lot of people are susceptible to that and don't even realize that it's pretty much baked into their temperaments, like a guaranteed behavioral patter once seen. That tendency to latch onto these loops is definitely a thing at this point. You don't need to be 'crazy' to fall in a bad way with it. Just a matter of who and what. I'm wise to it because I'm diagnosed... I'm legitimately crazy and am thus mindful of general brain-snares, little tendrils that try to grab on and slow your roll little by little. These watches get my radar buzzin a little bit.

It's just intuition. I can't explain it. Like... when it comes to health and fitness, if you find this one thing that seems to just catalyze everything for you... like to an almost impossible degree, then it's 99% too good to be true and will not last. Just my experience, and stuff from talking to people when I went to gyms. It could be anything. A diet, a technique/method, a tool, a machine, habit, whatever. Many things can make a big difference. But there's no easy way. Just little pushes. I think it's easy to get hung up on the pushes... confuse them for the chase itself. That's how aids like that strike me. For some people, they just make sense. But for others, I can see it doing more to mess with their heads than necessarily making for better health habits. Too easy to base all of those habits around the watch and the app. Which is to say it slowly becomes increasingly more about the watch and the app, and at the same time less about your health in actuality. You have to then ask yourself how you find your habits when it comes to those objects. It becomes another thing to stay on top of. Maybe that's my ADHD, presuming it to be a distraction out of a bias towards being easily distracted.

The one time I've been tempted was with the fancy GPS features. To have a display on your wrist plotting a detailed breadcrumb map in realtime while hiking sounds great. Seriously handy for poorly maintained trails... if they're maintained places. And maybe one of those times, I want to be found! Muy espensivo, though! That's a little beyond a basic fitness watch.

Side note, gotta say it. Something about these things just makes them all look UNSIGHTLY to me. Maybe it's because I like watches. So many nice-looking automatic watches out there these days. Nice digital and quartz ones, too. Put any one of those next to a fitness watch, and the fitness watch just looks so sad and cheap. They're really trendy looking. So you buy it and for a while it's neat to you, and then next year you can't stand looking at it anymore. That's what it is. Maybe this is smartphone conditioning - they look disposable to me. Much more disposable than the cheapest good normal watch..

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Everything connected to the internet is colleting data and sending it somewhere.

System Name The work PC /2700x/5950x
Processor 3900X stock/ 2700x stock/ 5950x 4200 MHz fixed @ 1,056-1,08V
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Master X570/2xMSI X470 M7 AC
Cooling Custom WC XSPC RX480, Laing DDC, XSPC Laing DDC Top V3 and EK Velocity/NH15/NH-U12S SE
Memory 32 GB Viper 3600/14 /16 GB Trident Z F4-4000C18D-16GTZSW 3600 /32 GB G Skill Flare CL14 3400
Video Card(s) 2070 Super X MSI/GTX 970 MSI/ GTX 970 MSI
Storage 1 TB SSD+500 GB NVMe / 500 GB SSD/ 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2518D/2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D / Lian test bench/NZXT 500
Power Supply AX 850 Titanium/AX 860i/AX 760
Software Dual boot/Win 7 & 10 / Linux / Win 10
Everything connected to the internet is colleting data and sending it somewhere.
Garmin got hacked some time ago but I haven't been blackmailed for them not to publishing my poor training results :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
And most of the time the user is giving it willingly.

People don't seem to get that blabbing on social media and every device within reach constantly is the same as shouting loudly in a resteraunt and being surprised when people hear you.

It's not spies, it's you.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I like old school digital watches.
Digital watches are "old school"? :roll:

Ummm, do you know what this is?

Or better yet, what it is telling us?

How about this?

Kids! :rolleyes:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
@Tom Sunday Don't worry, nobody cares about you or me as individuals. But software for these devices is built upon data analysis. And there needs to be data to be analyzed.
As for these data making their way to 3rd parties, I can see that happening in China, but in the civilized world, that's illegal in the absence of user's consent.

If I have beef with these devices is they don't offer anything useful - have you ever tried monitoring your sleep using watches from different makers? That and my kinetic watch laughs at devices needing daily charging.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Wise choice OP.
What i would be most upset about if i had been suckered into buying one is they are up to 40% inaccurate. They fudge their results to maintain that warm fuzzy feeling people require in order to continue using them.
They are nothing more than toys for adults. It amazes me that so many people take them so friggin seriously its hilarious.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I was recently gifted a cheap ass one by my mother since I got her a proper blood pressure tester, one-button dreamy thing she can not fff f up(hopefully).

I didn't take to it, kin thing told the wrong time and had no way to correct it I jest not.

then it died after 6 hours,, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Digital watches are "old school"? :roll:

Ummm, do you know what this is?

Or better yet, what it is telling us?

How about this?

Kids! :rolleyes:
Man... really? Did you pay attention to anything I said or just felt like glossing over it all to put "the kids" in their place? What I say isnt important to you, because I called a 50 year old digital watch oldschool in a time when people are rocking watches packed with sensors, oleds, and little cpu packages. I dont make the rules, just the passing of time, and the ever pacing history of horology. Digital watches are old tech. Beyond ubiquity for decades.

Thank you all for the informative and shared views on the "wearable" syndrome." A spying device essentially attached to ones body 24/7 and all for your convenience and protection? Fully realizing that this entire information gathering for profit is here to stay, it was just upsetting that wherever I look or go these days that ones privacy is further being eroded and or challenged and with almost any new tech products being introduced. At the next computer show I will be looking to purchase a new "WIFI Router" knowing already that most router manufacturers these days are getting more and more into trying collecting your website activities and more. Why allow your ISP to get all of the goodies? I now have 6 WIFI required devices connected to my 5-year old router and those very possibly now ripe for even more picking. Hopefully I will see Nina again for another earful and another whiff of her L'Air Du Temps'....and she may even has a 'non-spying' router deal for me? Perhaps with 10% off when paying cash?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wise choice OP.
What i would be most upset about if i had been suckered into buying one is they are up to 40% inaccurate. They fudge their results to maintain that warm fuzzy feeling people require in order to continue using them.
They are nothing more than toys for adults. It amazes me that so many people take them so friggin seriously its hilarious.
That's the big clincher.

Some haven't wised up yet but, these devices... IoT... smart this/that... even your main internet platforms... they're designed to make you a little bit crazy. I'm not even being cute. In some regards this is absolutely true. They want for you to be obsessesed. This stuff is MADE for you to latch onto hard and keep you there. Interact with them more, spend more and more time, more and more money... and then they profit off of profiting off of you with the resulting data. It's a hyper-capitalist dreamscape.
I was recently gifted a cheap ass one by my mother since I got her a proper blood pressure tester, one-button dreamy thing she can not fff f up(hopefully).

I didn't take to it, kin thing told the wrong time and had no way to correct it I jest not.

then it died after 6 hours,, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.
LMAO, that's the REAL problem with smartwatches as a whole. For them to do anything cool, they have to be unable to be worn all day. What good is a watch that dies 3 times a day if you don't trickle it?

Still swear by the G-Shock for actual time keeping. Some can pull the time right from your phone - just straight satellite time... and of course you can change it manually. Barring that, if there's an atomic clock broadcasting in the area, it'll grab that time every day, no bluetooth needed. Couldn't be more accurate. It's not off by more than a half second on any given day (assuming it does the specced +/-15s/mo..) All of the technology to do this has been around for at least twice as long as me. Longer in the case of the quartz oscillator circuit that keeps it ticking the other 23:59:59 of the day. A watch that never needs setting, can be safely thrown off of a skyscraper, waterproof to 200m, born in the 80s. Doesn't need much for battery either. Solar keeps it topped off continuously, until around 10 years pass and the battery is no good.

Work some medical/biometric sensors into that, I might wear it sometimes. Till then I keep the one that just tells the time, all of the time. I think that's a rarity these days, people telling time. :laugh:

Thank you all for the informative and shared views on the "wearable" syndrome." A spying device essentially attached to ones body 24/7 and all for your convenience and protection? Fully realizing that this entire information gathering for profit is here to stay, it was just upsetting that wherever I look or go these days that ones privacy is further being eroded and or challenged and with almost any new tech products being introduced. At the next computer show I will be looking to purchase a new "WIFI Router" knowing already that most router manufacturers these days are getting more and more into trying collecting your website activities and more. Why allow your ISP to get all of the goodies? I now have 6 WIFI required devices connected to my 5-year old router and those very possibly now ripe for even more picking. Hopefully I will see Nina again for another earful and another whiff of her L'Air Du Temps'....and she may even has a 'non-spying' router deal for me? Perhaps with 10% off when paying cash?
It's really getting tougher and tougher. You basically submit to a fair degree of it just by using a PC or a cell phone. They won't always sneak it past you, either. You'll have to consent to get into stuff. Personally, I think we need to look at what circumstances we consider this legally binding under, as things have changed with regards to what the agreement means, but the way they're treated hasn't. Certain types of monitoring just shouldn't be conditions of use, regardless of user consent.

Somewhat related: WIN 11 will be making webcam mandatory after 1/1/23. Just to make sure they can absolutely track all of your movements at all times. The only main reason it can be needed is for facial recognition. With the added "Must Sign Into your MS Account" they now have your account and a handy way to track your face all the time too. Wishful thinkling: Perhaps software will be available in the future that if loaded into Windows or onto any PC will block the feedback of my stolen information for profit by others and return to me a sense of privacy. Until then a roll of tape will have to do into plugging and obstructing all the holes and cameras.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Somewhat related: WIN 11 will be making webcam mandatory after 1/1/23.
I doubt that very much. Desktops don't usually have a webcam.

I doubt that very much. Desktops don't usually have a webcam.
Yes of course on desktops a camera has always been an "optional" item but some form of network connection is not. Windows 10 users to date have delighted in pulling their LAN cable so they can have a user documents folder that is their name rather than their Microsoft Account email address and all the privacy problems that entails. From Windows 11 this idea of a local account you can then upgrade to a full one appears to be being removed, leaving you with the option of signing in to your MS account and having your documents under mynamehere@somewhere.net, or not getting past the setup screen. At least that is from what I know and read.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Yes of course on desktops a camera has always been an "optional" item but some form of network connection is not. Windows 10 users to date have delighted in pulling their LAN cable so they can have a user documents folder that is their name rather than their Microsoft Account email address and all the privacy problems that entails. From Windows 11 this idea of a local account you can then upgrade to a full one appears to be being removed, leaving you with the option of signing in to your MS account and having your documents under mynamehere@somewhere.net, or not getting past the setup screen. At least that is from what I know and read.
You can still do Windows 11 local accounts in Pro if you read their documentation.

You also can in 10 pro. Just click "limited Setup"

I'm calling bs on the webcam requirement unless you have a real source.

At least that is from what I know and read.
Your sources are being misleading.

Last edited:
You can still do Windows 11 local accounts in Pro if you read their documentation.

You also can in 10 pro. Just click "limited Setup"

I'm calling bs on the webcam requirement unless you have a real source.

Your sources are being misleading.
Please have a peek...

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I don't know about you guys, but I can monitor my sleep and calorie intake just fine - if I'm hungry, it means I need more food. If I'm tired, it means I need more sleep. Why would I need a watch to tell me this? :laugh:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Please have a peek...
Did you read it? It literally says all devices EXCEPT desktop pcs.

It's likely for Windows Hello facial recognition login. That has it's own issues, but this paranoia level is quite insane, and I'm a bigtime privacy advocate.

Did you read it? It literally says all devices EXCEPT desktop pcs.....and I'm a bigtime privacy advocate.
Well..for me whether desktops or laptops it was just another nail into the coffin of 'privacy for profit' with absolutely no regard towards the masses. Actually for me a very blatant disregard or slap in the face and who knows what is next to come or will be MS mandated strictly for our benefit? And Windows 11 is purported to be your new friend, provide better security and is all for your convenience? When is enough...enough? But I am just a simple man on the street so what do I know?