• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I just switched to Linux Mint (latest beta release) I AM FREAKING IN LOVE!!! TAKE CARE WINDOWS 10 and 11 LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is libreoffice the same thing as openoffice or different names. I've been using open-office for many years.
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. They are similar, but LibreOffice is more feature rich as it has a lot more community support. OpenOffice is still being actively developed however and is still worth using if you already know it's detailed functionality.

I personally keep it installed because it can open some documents perfectly where LibreOffice has a few problems. These are generally older MSOffice formats that LibreOffice struggles with. The Document Foundation has focused on future modern and future document format options and have left past compatibility behind. I have to work with older documents from time to time so compatibility is important and OpenOffice provides that. For that reason alone it's worth having both installed and kept up to date.

Linux on the desktop: an infinite source of pain.

Don't believe anyone who says otherwise - you can try it of course and then run away with third-degree burns.

I wonder why this topic keeps getting updated.
Interesting article if you're looking to validate the opinion of Linux not being a good desktop OS. It has some very serious flaws, both contextual & technical, and misses the point of many reasons Linux is built the way it is. Not a very good citation for your apparent statement. If you do not understand the topic of this thread and the point of discussing it, then perhaps this thread is not a good place for you.

Put another way, please keep your Linux bashing comments to yourself or the mods will be asked to remove you from the thread. Thank You.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex

Don't believe anyone who says otherwise - you can try it of course and then run away with third-degree burns.

You're giving Birdie an ultimatum because you don't like his opinion about Linux? If you can't handle criticism, maybe the internet is not for you.

In case you haven't noticed:

subforum.png

I don't think you'll find this particular audience very receptive to "Windows better". Go to General Software instead, and offer up all the opinions you want.

Proton is literally just a toggle off on switch in Steam settings... installing steam and nvidia drivers were two clicks in the welcome home screen... 0 issues on my end honestly. I also use libreoffice just fine for many years now even on windows, just remember to save as docx not its default.

I have to do a reinstall on my HTPC today, because the 11 dev build is very much dev lol. Considering installing something new, instead of spending hours working out a completely clean debloated 20H2 install. Not sure I trust Kub 21.04 with anything other than my laptop so I was looking at the Mint site today - unfortunately my games library looks like it might be a mixed bag even with Proton, mostly because of rootkit anticheats.

I haven't paid too much attention to anticheat since the Valorant launch debacle, but it seems that Easy/Battleye have seen a lot of adoption lately. From what I can tell, most of these rootkit anticheats don't work on Linux, so your game either crashes or you get banned. They said that Easy "works" on Linux, but only the version built specifically for Linux? I don't think any game devs are bothering to switch over for a tiny fraction of their playerbase. Save for War Thunder I suppose.
  • Insurgency Sandstorm: doesn't really work as long as Easy is involved
  • R6S: doesn't work, Battleye
  • Genshin: will probably get me banned
But outside of anti-cheat games, Proton looks good - War Thunder (works despite Easy??), MCC, Arma 3 (not Battleye servers), GTA, No Man's Sky, Risk of Rain 2, Ori 1, Ori 2, Cities: Skylines, Sniper Elite 3, Sniper Elite 4, etc.

And of course the lighter games all work - Stardew Valley, Atlantic Fleet, Cold Waters, Bloons, I am Setsuna, etc. It's really just Genshin that's a thorn in my side, because that's like 95% of what I play on my HTPC.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

Simple - Because you're wrong and the below is why.

I am NOT a software savvy person yet I'm enjoying it.

Does everything I need it to do without all the fuss and whatever else vs what Windows can put you through (BSOD's and so on).
However if you choose the wrong distro I can see what you are saying being the case.

TBH and real about it, just because you've had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone will or has either.

The two or three distros everyone seems to like are Mint, Arch, Ubuntu and the other one I like personally, Peppermint are good choices here.
Arch and Ubuntu does take a little work but it's manageable, Mint and Peppermint themselves are the most Windows-like distros I'm aware of.
Yes, I've used all I've named and that's been the results I've gotten from each one.

Using Peppermint because, unlike Mint it actually works with my newer AMD card (Radeon VII), Mint doesn't and always throws itself into CPU rendering mode with that card in use - I can't say if any other newer AMD GPU's are treated like this with Mint or not but that too has been my experience.

I'll sum up by saying one person's singular experience should not be the basis for everyone else's choice.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
nyway, I think I have a general idea that most of TPU linux users are mostly Ubuntu or ubuntu based and/or Debian. Not so much love on Fedora, OpenSuse and Arch.

Actually use opensuse as my main distro. Though I posted screenshots of my budgie laptop. As for Arch, thats a no from me.

Most of my backend servers are nix, with many running rhel and anything public facing running freeBSD (my fav server OS)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I'll just add that the user's choice of which distro to use is important.
Most of these can be researched and you'll get an idea of what it takes to use it from a Linux vs Windows standpoint.

As I've indicated the two "Best" distros for a direct migration from Windows are Mint and Peppermint, both are almost directly comparable to Windows that way and will at least introduce people to Linux, plus the price is right too (Free).
Again, it's best to research your choice and be sure it's what you want and go from there.
I too have been fooled by distros seeming (By description) to be "OK" but once I started using them I was like o_O so I had to leave those alone in the end.

I guess one way of putting it is there are different distros for different skill levels with linux because that really is the case.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Simple - Because you're wrong and the below is why.

I am NOT a software savvy person yet I'm enjoying it.

Does everything I need it to do without all the fuss and whatever else vs what Windows can put you through (BSOD's and so on).
However if you choose the wrong distro I can see what you are saying being the case.

TBH and real about it, just because you've had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone will or has either.

The two or three distros everyone seems to like are Mint, Arch, Ubuntu and the other one I like personally, Peppermint are good choices here.
Arch and Ubuntu does take a little work but it's manageable, Mint and Peppermint themselves are the most Windows-like distros I'm aware of.
Yes, I've used all I've named and that's been the results I've gotten from each one.

Using Peppermint because, unlike Mint it actually works with my newer AMD card (Radeon VII), Mint doesn't and always throws itself into CPU rendering mode with that card in use - I can't say if any other newer AMD GPU's are treated like this with Mint or not but that too has been my experience.

I'll sum up by saying one person's singular experience should not be the basis for everyone else's choice.
i think you should rethink about peppermint.

last update was 2 yrs ago but its active

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
i think you should rethink about peppermint.

last update was 2 yrs ago but its active
I'm aware and have been keeping tabs on what's going on with it.
There is talk Peppermint 11 may not even be in the end with the passing of the distro's author.

ATM it's working fine and running it for the reasons I gave for leaving Mint, if it doesn't work with the hardware I've got then it just doesn't work.

Low quality post by Anarchy0110
Processor Intel Core i5 12400F Alder Lake Hex-Core Processor @ 2.5 GHz
Motherboard Asrock B760M Pro RS/D4
Cooling Thermalright Assassin 120X Refined SE
Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060-DUAL-O6G EVO (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1 NVMe + 500GB Crucial P3 NVMe + 2TB WD Black P10 External HDD
Display(s) Asus VG278Q TN Full HD 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply CoolerMaster MWE Bronze v2 450W
Mouse Razer Viper V3 Hyperspeed w/ Hyperpolling Dongle + Razer Deathadder V3 Wired
Keyboard VGN VXE ATK68 Gateron Mechanical Hall-Effect| Monka 3075 V2 Pro Cherry Powder
Software AtlasOS v0.4

Mate, use your time to do more valuable/meaningful stuff instead of bashing others just because you can't do it yourself.
Cheers!

So far only infinite source of pain was Win 10. And I even run version that has far less problems than regular ones (cause it cant get other than security update). Didnt prevent one security update to overwrite ownership of ALL files on PC tho.

Apart that, I love how even simple things just dont work.

You install system on PC n1. You install identical system on PC n2. You connect both to your wi-fi router. You put them in same workgroup. You make sure assigned IP is just one number from each other. You enable sharing. They cant see or find each other. :D

I mean, how.. how can MS fk up something so basic?

Ofc I solved that, but its unfathomable how something so basic just doesnt work.

Also game I used to play (addictive as heck so I stopped), one patch.. worked only on latest version of Win and wasnt working on any other. There wasnt any new feature tied to that specific version, it just didnt work on anything prior to that. Cool, eh? (Wasnt game dev intent, they eventually fixed it.)

Btw. quality control on MS store is also something. Some stuff is bordering on trojan/spyware stuff, if it works at all. All reviews are botted to death. State of MS store is basically worth suing them..

Yea, MS great, really. But thing is, most corporations just suck hard. Not just MS. For example quality of firmware patches for Samsung TVs is also spectacular, last for example completely broken HDMI 2.1. :D

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.

I agree and disagree.

Linux is really easy to install, configure and use for general tasks. It has a hassle-free office tool, and a well-known web browser and media player pre-installed. The new application store on Ubuntu and Mint is super easy as well. Security is also better than Windows UAC.

Problems start when you need to run advanced commands. I just can't comprehend why they still can't get rid of that stupid 1980s terminal. I'm not gonna memorise a million commands for stuff that could easily be done through the GUI. People can call me lazy, but it's just the sad truth, sorry. Also, like I mentioned, LibreOffice is only good for working on your own. Once you need to send your documents to someone, you're screwed. Game compatibility isn't always trouble-free either.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I loaded Mint on my old rog laptop with a gtx 670 and everything worked. I'm not sure I'll stay on it more than a week or two just to play around. I don't know it's growing on me. My main Linux laptop is an old Samsung AMD A6 and it's getting long in the tooth. I was planing to retire it and use this Asus Rog laptop it's beefer but it's huge.. and has a 180watt psu.. The Samsung is nice and thin and it actually holds a charge.. lol The ROG last like 10 minutes.. haha

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
And after several years of playing with linux distros... I've been using windows since 3.0.... I settled on Kubuntu. My 2nd choice is Archlinux, but only enthusiasts need apply for that.
I use WinHQ wine, staging. I can run pretty much any windows app or game I dam well please. Of course I've spent several years acclimating myself to linux from windows.
You can run the newest versions of ms office just fine. Also I saw someone say something about Chrome. There is a native linux version of Chrome, don't worry... be happy heh!

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Problems start when you need to run advanced commands. I just can't comprehend why they still can't get rid of that stupid 1980s terminal. I'm not gonna memorise a million commands for stuff that could easily be done through the GUI. People can call me lazy, but it's just the sad truth, sorry. Also, like I mentioned, LibreOffice is only good for working on your own. Once you need to send your documents to someone, you're screwed. Game compatibility isn't always trouble-free either.
Out of curiosity, what sort of tasks do you need the command line for?

I mean, surely you understand why the command line exists, but I imagine you mean something like “common user tasks that are more accessible on other OS’s require knowledge of bash to execute” :)

Low quality post by Ja.KooLit
System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Audio Device(s) Onboard

I dont know if you are the author but you just started some anger from Linux fans because of your added commentary. "Don't believe anyone who says otherwise - you can try it of course and then run away with third-degree burns."

All TPU Linux users, hold your horses and just spend some time reading the article.The article is actually good. You may or you may not encounter what the problems are but Majority of what is written in the article are right.

He put a disclaimer as well. The problem is just the one who shared this article added a negativity on the title of the link and that tends us to react negative

Here are a few important considerations before you start reading this article:

If you believe Linux is perfect and it has no problems, please close this page.
If you think any Linux criticism is only meant to groundlessly revile Linux, please close this page.
If you think the purpose of this article is to show that "nothing ever works in Linux or Linux is barely usable", you are wrong, please close this page.
If you believe Linux and Linux users will work/live fine without commercial software and games, please close this page.
If you think I'm here to promote Windows or Mac OS, please close this page.
If you think I'm here to spread lies or FUD about Linux, please close this page immediately and never ever come back. What are you doing here anyway? Please go back to flame wars and defamations.

Keep in mind that this list serves the purpose of showing what needs to be fixed in Linux rather than finding faults in it.

Last edited:

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Cmd exsists in windows as well "the command line terminal". The most powerful commands are in a windows cmd box. Ever heard of powershell?
Jeez, cmon. Windows, aka originally dos, stole a lot from unix. Which linux is based on.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Audio Device(s) Onboard

I mean, surely you understand why the command line exists, but I imagine you mean something like “common user tasks that are more accessible on other OS’s require knowledge of bash to execute” :)
actually the CLI is really helpful when a software is not behaving properly. You launch the CLI, and start the program by typing the program name.. i.e. steam or firefox , it will show in there what the program is doing, or what the error is or warning (if there is of course). Try it

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise

I needed it to mess with pulseaudio bullshit and to install FreeOffice. I attempted to use it to install drivers, but it didn't work (neither I succeeded installing FreeOffice tbh). Some distros don't have any package manager, so you need to sudo it. I also needed it a lot to download CPU monitoring tool and then for hardware monitoring. It's so much needed that realistically, you absolutely need it for 40% of all stuff that you do. On something like raspberry Pi, at least in past, you had to use it to get any software.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Cmd exsists in windows as well "the command line terminal". The most powerful commands are in a windows cmd box. Ever heard of powershell?
Jeez, cmon. Windows, aka originally dos, stole a lot from unix. Which linux is based on.
The fact that they exist doesn't mean you need them like you need the Linux terminal. ;)

For example, a couple weeks ago, I got a Raspberry pi with an attached HDD from a friend. Perfect home server / nas, he said. You only need one simple program to set it up (I can't remember its name). How does that look in my head? Attach Raspberry to a display, install software, do the settings, done. Is it like that in real life? Noooo, I had to Google for half an hour to get the 20 something terminal commands that install and configure the software for me. Why??? :kookoo:

That's exactly what I mean. :) Simple things that could be done through GUI should be done through GUI. Leave the terminal for programmers and debugging purposes.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2

CLI commands have a couple of potential advantages over GUI versions:

1. Easier to write. You don't have to worry about choosing a graphical toolkit, making sure all the visual elements play nicely together, and designing the micro-GUI for your GUI tool
2. Scripting. Granted, many (most?) GUI programs on *NIX are frontends for a CLI command and can thus be called from a script, but scriptability is a pretty powerful tool.
3. Portability. This is mosly important in Linux land, where there are two variants of X and at least three major, plus more minor, desktop toolkits/environments.
4. Flexibility. As mentioned, there's stuff in Windows on CLI that is great for admins and power users that doesn't exist in the GUI. Robocopy is one, formatting and partitioning tools for a couple others.

Yeah, maybe some of this stuff could be enabled in GUI-land. But in my experience, the stuff that's currently CLI-only probably shouldn't be easily accessible to users with a surface understanding of the environment.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I use the terminal every day, but I'm also a software engineer so I use it for almost half of what I do. My work day usually starts with opening iterm, tmux, and a proxy to the dev database cluster. If I need to start the entire application, I'm doing that in the terminal. Before I switched to using IntelliJ, I'd use vim for editing stuff too and still sometimes do. Generally speaking, normal users don't care about the terminal or scripting. They want to be able to look at Facebook and cat pictures.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yeah if I hadn't built my z490 rig I might not even have started using linux again
Haven't had any driver issues so far on mint cinn really at all I run 5.0 still no issues

I used linux solus plasma first it was nice and all but the newer internet nic wouldn't come up on startup so it was pretty annoying to disable it and enable it again to get internet
Plus support was lacking big time some needed wedgets/.. were not compatible pretty much why it's best to stick with the large distros like mint mate or cinnamon

Status
Not open for further replies.