• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek Modded Audio Driver for Windows 10/11 - Only for HDAUDIO

I think I'm going to try it multichannel PCM over SPDIF too, when I can get my hands on a proper HDMI audio extractor, like this one:

I wonder if my old Yamaha receiver will support multichannel PCM over SPDIF. It would be wonderful to be able to output 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed to the receiver from my PC, instead of going through DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live (this however still beats analog out in my use case). If this works with the HDMI audio extractor, then I actually would have no need for the modded Realtek driver anymore.

t0aster

I have an asus crosshair dark hero and I need to be able to enable 5.1 surround to them for them to work properly. With the newest version when I try to enable it say the device doesn't support it. What options are needed when I run the installer on a fresh win 10 install for the 5.1 option to work again? I had it working before but when I did a new install It didn't work. I selected Dolby decoder and left the other options alone.
Also I have purchased DTS HeadphoneX and Dolby atmos for headphones. Should I use these alongside this setup or not?

AAF Optimus

Account Closed - Will not update Projects
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9180.1

WARNING: There is also an update for Nahimic on the Microsoft Store to version 1.5.4.0, but it is very likely that once installed, your enhancement will stop working.

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

RECOMMENDATION:
Before installing this modified driver, be sure to remove any and all residues from previous Realtek audio drivers or even if there are residues from previous versions of my mods, if they persist. For this you will need the DriverStoreExplorer (by @lostindark). Remove any drivers whose vendor is "Realtek", "Dolby", "DTS", "Creative" or "Alan Finotty" in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers, Extensions, Software Components and Audio Processing Objects categories.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

If Dolby Atmos again insists not to install, here are the packages for installation.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

No DTS updates at this time, is the quality any better or are Realtek wasting my time again?

----

I think I'm going to try it multichannel PCM over SPDIF too, when I can get my hands on a proper HDMI audio extractor, like this one:

I wonder if my old Yamaha receiver will support multichannel PCM over SPDIF. It would be wonderful to be able to output 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed to the receiver from my PC, instead of going through DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live (this however still beats analog out in my use case). If this works with the HDMI audio extractor, then I actually would have no need for the modded Realtek driver anymore.
I'm moving into that route, I still will be making the DTS DCH driver, because I still need microphone and audio in. Multichannel PCM is not very supported on SPDIF, you should check your hardware first.
I did my tests setting Potplayer to WASAPI exclusive, no bitstreaming, and setting it to output PCM with my selected settings, my Z906 has only a 2 channel processor for SPDIF.

Oddly for audio SPDIF is vastly superior to most other connections, given the 125mbps. However support for it is limited, highly irregular.

----

Note, with digital compressed audio, up to the receiver, its just bitrate, once the receiver has got the data, it uncompresses it, then aggregate sample rate and other caps apply.

====

AMD R7 370 (Extractor), Z906 (Toslink):

- 192khz, 8 channels, 32 bit: Not processed (49152 kbps)
- 192khz, 6 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (36864 kbps)
- 96Khz, 8 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (24567 kbps)
- 96khz, 6 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (18432 kbps)
- 48Khz, 8 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (12288 kbps)
- 48khz, 6 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (9216 kbps)

- 192khz, 8 channels, 24 bit: Noisey, then disconnect (36864 kbps)
- 192khz, 6 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (27648 kbps)
- 96Khz, 8 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (18432 kbps)
- 96khz, 6 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (13824 kbps)
- 48Khz, 8 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (9216 kbps)
- 48khz, 6 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (6912 kbps)

Realtek ALC 889, Z906 (Toslink):

- 192khz, 8 channels, 32 bit: Not processed (49152 kbps)
- 192khz, 6 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (36864 kbps)
- 96Khz, 8 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (24567 kbps)
- 96khz, 6 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (18432 kbps)
- 48Khz, 8 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (12288 kbps)
- 48khz, 6 channels, 32 bit: Processed, clean (9216 kbps)

- 192khz, 8 channels, 24 bit: Noisey, then disconnect (36864 kbps)
- 192khz, 6 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (27648 kbps)
- 96Khz, 8 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (18432 kbps)
- 96khz, 6 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (13824 kbps)
- 48Khz, 8 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (9216 kbps)
- 48khz, 6 channels, 24 bit: Processed, clean (6912 kbps)

It seems like the Z906 downmixes to stereo (2 channel DAC).
In 3D mode (expand), the rear is almost identical.

Edit: If I could re-circuit my Z906 and route PCM to its analogue portion (3x 3.5mm, 6 channel), I would get multichannel PCM over SPDIF......

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I thought too, multichannel PCM (more than 2 channels) over SPDIF is not a regular format, so chances are it won't be supported at all by my older Yamaha receiver (which has no HDMI inputs). However I'm willing to spend up to €20-30 on an HDMI audio extractor to test it out, just to see what happens. This is purely a thing for me for games ('live' audio) aside from DDL or DTS interactive. With media I can just bitstream the pre-encoded stream over SPDIF and call it a day (receiver does the decoding and up/down mixing to the physical 5.1 speaker setup).

On my living room setup I have the PC hooked up via HDMI directly to a newer Yamaha receiver --> 7.1 LPCM channels from games no problemo!

I keep telling people that app can break things, I hope you have a partition backup......... Edit: You can try disabling "High Definition Audio" in "System Devices" in "Device Manager".
Restart your PC, then try to remove the drivers using pnputil (command prompt as admin), see this document on how to use Micosoft pnputil (examples).

1625074505069.png
3.png

pnputil -e and pnputil -d oemX.inf

Last edited:

TechPowerOn

Would someone be able to explain the difference between the features and which features are best to install? For example, I am unable to find the difference between Realtek Default APO and Realtek Patched APO with DDL DTS.

poppy101

Would someone be able to explain the difference between the features and which features are best to install? For example, I am unable to find the difference between Realtek Default APO and Realtek Patched APO with DDL DTS.
Yeah, I would like to know too. I just want to get Dolby Atmos for Headphones or DTS Headphone:X working on my Realtek S1200. I tried installing this but didn't know what options to select and it didn't work

If you only want Dolby Atmos for Headphones or DTS Headphone:X you can just acquire them from the Microsoft Store (Dolby Access app or DTS Unbound app). No need for the modded drivers. They will work just fine with the default Realtek driver (or other types of sound cards). I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones running with my USB Sound Blaster when I game with headphones on.

System Name Black Diamond
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Motherboard msi a320 a pro max
Cooling Default
Memory 32 GB ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Rtx 2070, 86 F no extra fans or stuff.
Storage nvme samsung (the fastest one) 1tb
Display(s) Some sceptre monitor and a tv
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
Hello everyone i am new here, i use obs to tell what is actually working with your audio, and what the effects actually do something instead of degrading your audio quality. I have real 7.1 surround sound, (Forced 32bit 192khz-384khz) (My motherboard only supports 24bit 192khz) and no virtualization. Ive tested tons of realtek drivers, and effects and none of them actually work lmao. The only effects that i recall actually work and is my current setup follows below. I am also running all of them together, its complicated but it is worth it. Also dm me if you want the files or the actual steps i created for them to all work together. 100% No Bullshit, or unnecessary steps. . I figured this out on my own. Also the new soundblasters are actually worse compared to the old ones. Everyone mainly buys a sound card for the software right? The surround sound on there is virtualization. Virtualization meaning running out of 2 channels all the audio instead of each one seperate. All the other things like for example which i tested (Nahmic, the new soundblaster connect and software, dolby atmos for gaming, hesuvi, dolby digital plus/hometheater, thx truestudio pro, viper4windows, and some other mentionable ones) are fake surround, and are basically ruining your audio. YOU ARE BETTER OFF, using a non modified driver with no sound effects, (except bass enhancement, and speaker fill). KEEP THIS AS A NOTE audio driver creators, use obs to check what you are going to add before you send it to the public. Thank you!! (I use analog, but if you also install the drivers if you dm me, the effects will be on your spdif but a little different.

Screenshot 2021-07-02 155146.png
Screenshot 2021-07-02 161938.png
Screenshot 2021-07-02 155127.png
Screenshot 2021-07-02 155058.png
Screenshot 2021-07-02 155836.png

AAF Optimus

Account Closed - Will not update Projects
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9191.1
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

WARNING: There is also an update for Nahimic on the Microsoft Store to version 1.5.4.0, but it is very likely that once installed, your enhancement will stop working.

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

RECOMMENDATION:
Before installing this modified driver, be sure to remove any and all residues from previous Realtek audio drivers or even if there are residues from previous versions of my mods, if they persist. For this you will need the DriverStoreExplorer (by @lostindark). Remove any drivers whose vendor is "Realtek", "Dolby", "DTS", "Creative" or "Alan Finotty" in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers, Extensions, Software Components and Audio Processing Objects categories.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

If Dolby Atmos again insists not to install, here are the packages for installation.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

EddyM

Hi,

I previously had a Razer Blade Stealth late 2019 model, which came with some form of Dolby Atmos, and it was amazing. The app for it was just called "Dolby Atmos", and it worked with both the built-in laptop speakers (to great effect) and with headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack. I know it somehow used "Intel Smart Sound Technology" to enable it, as the driver for that had to be installed before anything Dolby Atmos even showed up at all to install drivers for, and it apparently used some sort of tuning data specific to the model of laptop.

Unfortunately I had to return it under warranty, and ended up getting a late 2020 model as a replacement. As far as I know, the actual audio hardware/speakers etc haven't changed since the previous models, but it turns out it no longer has Dolby Atmos as they've replaced it with "THX Spatial Audio" instead... which seems to be absolutely useless. I really badly want the old Dolby Atmos back, if there's any way it might be possible. I don't really know how these sort of drivers work at all. I kind of suspected it might be a driver/firmware thing rather than having actual different hardware, but... I had an external SSD which I'd done a clean install of Windows 10 onto on the 2019 model (for testing purposes before returning it) and I had Dolby Atmos working on there after installing all the drivers etc. However, on booting the late 2020 model from that drive, the audio wasn't working properly at all and the Dolby Atmos app just said it couldn't find/connect to the Dolby driver or something like that. Then Windows automatically installed all the audio devices etc as THX Spatial Audio instead.

Is there likely to be any way of getting the Dolby Atmos drivers/app etc from the older models working with it? Or would this modded driver already do it? (I see it mentions "Dolby Atmos Speaker System" and "Dolby Atmos for Gaming", but what I had wasn't called either of those and doesn't look quite like any of the screenshots, and I don't know whether the Razer-specific tuning data would need to be loaded somehow as well)

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this :)

Edit: I just looked through the screenshots in the first post again, and it actually did look exactly like the last one there - which just says "Dolby Atmos". But I remember in the About dialog it had extra line at the bottom with a version number for the tuning data. I have a drive image from the 2019 model if it would help, but the drivers (which made it work from a clean install) are also available here

Last edited:
@IrishCrispy, nice information, I will be testing this on a few devices.

So re-reading your post, I see 2x stereo expand, which adds channels as expanded, which is not true surround. I can see then Creative sees 7.1, most likely due to Dolby pro logic expand.
This is the same thing as DTS Connect, which is Neo PC (stereo expand to 5.1), and DTS Interactive (5.1 analogue to 5.1 digital) on SPDIF.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, I would just set my analogue to 5.1-7.1 and use E-APO to upmix.

Last edited:
Cooling Default
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
@IrishCrispy, nice information, I will be testing this on a few devices.

So re-reading your post, I see 2x stereo expand, which adds channels as expanded, which is not true surround. I can see then Creative sees 7.1, most likely due to Dolby pro logic expand.
This is the same thing as DTS Connect, which is Neo PC (stereo expand to 5.1), and DTS Interactive (5.1 analogue to 5.1 digital) on SPDIF.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, I would just set my analogue to 5.1-7.1 and use E-APO to upmix.
At the moment I have stereo headset. I will be getting a razer tiamat headset, that is true 7.1 and has separate analogue jack's for each channel. My motherboard is a (msi a320 m-a pro max) and i have alc892, but it doesn't have spdif even though alc892 supports it. This is my setup until now, it will change, and I'll be re-testing all of the audio effects and applications again. These are what I found that do upmix, and don't use both of the 2 channels and create virtualization. Instead they upmix and each channel has separate audio. Thats why I use obs, because I tried certain audio enhancers that were label as virtualization, and when I test left and right it shows the channels not being played separately, when I click left channel it play audio out of left, and a bit out of right. Then taking what virtualization is when the channels are tested, I tried other effects to see what they do, and if they play seperately. Basically I'm finding audio effects that don't use virtualization.

Last edited:
I also get confused at times with expanders, personally I have tested all of them with DTS Interactive (on ALC 889), Microsoft, Realtek, Dolby, DTS, other brands.
The only stereo expand I like is the hardware one built into my Z906, it makes no noise on expanding, most others do, which I don't like at all.

E-APO can be totally built or customized by you, essentially you can make your own matrix. I prefer the 'channel clone' method*.
E-APO uses a low latency method, its suggested by audiophiles, and used as base for custom enhancers.

1625340435569.png

I also know various legacy methods don't support WASPI.

* I am also using DTS:X APO4, which enhances channels, with direction and surround even with cloned stereo on 5.1-7.1.

Also note with E-APO, you can set it to detect 6 channels, for example YouTube will then clone properly to 5.1-7.1.

----

On Creative you can directly test 'expand' vs clone 'stereo surround'.

Cooling Default
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
I also get confused at times with expanders, personally I have tested all of them with DTS Interactive (on ALC 889), Microsoft, Realtek, Dolby, DTS, other brands.
The only stereo expand I like is the hardware one built into my Z906, it makes no noise on expanding, most others do, which I don't like at all.

E-APO can be totally built or customized by you, essentially you can make your own matrix. I prefer the 'channel clone' method*.
E-APO uses a low latency method, its suggested by audiophiles, and used as base for custom enhancers.

View attachment 206500

I also know various legacy methods don't support WASPI.

* I am also using DTS:X APO4, which enhances channels, with direction and surround even with cloned stereo on 5.1-7.1.

Also note with E-APO, you can set it to detect 6 channels, for example YouTube will then clone properly to 5.1-7.1.

----

On Creative you can directly test 'expand' vs clone 'stereo surround'.
Sorry I'm bad at explaining things. I have e-apo but I haven't tested the upmix yet. I will be trying it on a virtual audio cable i haven't used. Is there anything else I would need to use? Like a .txt file or a something I can use on e-apo so I can set it up to look like yours, I only used e-apo for hesuvi and I didn't like hesuvi.

Last edited:
I didnt like hesuvi, and nor did my ALC 889, could break your speakers if setup badly. Can I ask what the virtual cable is doing, is this for passthrough to stereo headphones?
Clone uses no virtualization, it simply clones 2 channels to 6-8 channels, or less if setup that way, identical to Creatives 'Stereo Surround' option.

Normally, I just setup E-APO on the primary audio device (no virtual cable), then set the device as 5.1 or 7.1.
As far as I know, multichannel is automatically converted to spatial stereo if set to stereo.

For example, If I play 5.1 audio over headphones (stereo), I hear centre and some rear, this should be happening without any enhancers.

Cooling Default
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
I didnt like hesuvi, and nor did my ALC 889, could break your speakers if setup badly. Can I ask what the virtual cable is doing, is this for passthrough to stereo headphones?
Clone uses no virtualization, it simply clones 2 channels to 6-8 channels, or less if setup that way, identical to Creatives 'Stereo Surround' option.

Normally, I just setup E-APO on the primary audio device (no virtual cable), then set the device as 5.1 or 7.1.
As far as I know, multichannel is automatically converted to spatial stereo if set to stereo.

For example, If I play 5.1 audio over headphones (stereo), I hear centre and some rear, this should be happening without any enhancers.
Yes its for passthrough to my stereo headphones. I will try it and let you know what i think about it.

I sold my X-fi but still have an older Creative Xtreme PCI card lying around. You might not need E-APO at all if the stereo surround option is available via the panel.

Cooling Default
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
I sold my X-fi but still have an older Creative Xtreme PCI card lying around. You might not need E-APO at all if the stereo surround option is available via the panel.
Oh, and your right. The copy channels isn't virtualization if you "set it up properly". So this is good to use. Like you said, i might not need to use it.
So i recommend this one.

It also reminds me of audacity channel mixing when you export audio.
Screenshot 2021-07-03 135242.png

Last edited:

dissidius

Anyone knows how to fix Windows File Explorer Icon? After installing this mod on Windows 11 Insider Preview, it seems Realtek Audio Console Icon takes over Fils Explorer . If i skip Realtek Audio Console during installationit gets taken over by the next Package Mod like Dolby or Sonic or Dts. This happens ONLY on Task Manager though.... The Audio Mods all work but i simply hate this superficial bug 

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_014123664.jpg
    IMG_20210704_014123664.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210704_014139271.jpg
    IMG_20210704_014139271.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 98
Cooling Default
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
Hey everyone i got a new audio enhancer. Razer Surround pro. It uses your current audio endpoint and turns it into real time 7.1, no matter what.
The only config you can choose is 7.1 There are no extra cables or anything needed. You can also use it on stereo headsets.
It is real 7.1 because i checked with obs. Major audio difference, the sound was behind me and everywhere.
Came out a long time ago, and you cannot get it anymore. You are also able to use fx configurator and add sound effects on it.
Since its seperate. OVERKILL? The bass enhancer also actually works. Stereo enhancer, increases the soundstage. No virtualization at all.

Screenshot 2021-07-03 211658.png
Screenshot 2021-07-03 212104.png
Screenshot 2021-07-03 212203.png
Screenshot 2021-07-03 212358.png

Here is link I made: "https://we.tl/t-GCQSYp9pZG"
Do everything fast and correctly otherwise you would have to uninstall and try again.
Give thumbs up if it worked for you.
@ me if you need help

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-03 212304.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-03 212304.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited: