• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Draw vs VRMs vs Voltage

IchigoQc

Hi,

I have a RTX 2060 VENTUS XS OC from factory which boost up 1950mhz @1.063V and TDP was 160 watts. I flashed a Gigabytes BIOS which has the same specs as mine with 6 + 2 Phases but up to 200 watts.

Now I can up the power limit in MSI afterburner up to 117% but I let it at 100% which represent 170 watts.

I overclocked my card +140 on the core and use the curve to settle it at 2025mhz @0.968V.

Every game I play usually end up around 140 watts to 150 watts depending on the scene. Then I played "The Medium" power draw went all the way up to 175 watts. I freaked out and close the game.

Question is how the game even undervolt can draw that much power !? Is 175 watts dangerous for my card even undervolt especially for the VRMs. I heard a lot of people unlocking the power limit ....

I modded the card so GPU temperature isn't a problem it doesn't exceed 50 degrees after 3 hours of gaming. What i'm concerned about is the VRMs and capacitors. I've put two 50mm fans under it when I checked the temperature with a gun the highest temp after 1 hour of gaming in Shadow of the Tombraider was 55c to 58c on the capacitors before the mofsets. The VRMs Heatsink is around 50c.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
If you follow the rules from this thread:

You just meed to make sure that cooling is sufficient: GPU below 87c and VRMs with good heatsinks getting some airflow from the VGA fans.

You don't need to worry about the power draw as long as your power supply is good enough.

If temperatures are too high, consider using a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, or aftermarket VGA cooler like Arctic Accelero, or a bigger PC case.

IchigoQc

modded the card so GPU temperature isn't a problem it doesn't exceed 50 degrees after 3 hours of gaming. What i'm concerned about is the VRMs and capacitors. I've put two 50mm fans under it when I checked the temperature with a gun the h

If you follow the rules from this thread:

You just meed to make sure that cooling is sufficient: GPU below 87c and VRMs with good heatsinks getting some airflow from the VGA fans.

You don't need to worry about the power draw as long as your power supply is good enough.

If temperatures are too high, consider using a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, or aftermarket VGA cooler like Arctic Accelero, or a bigger PC case.
Hello,

Thank you for the post, I exactly followed this one which I see you,re the OP :) It helped me a lot doing this. Does the power draw can make a component failed !? I mean I read that VRMs 3090 failed on an uncapped game, the new one from Amazon .... so I'm still not convince about power draw !?

If it draws more power it should affect hardware in some ways .... even it's being cooled well, I mean every component has a limit right !? I don't really understand how electronic works only know the max operating temp.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
175W is really not much different from the original, if you're worried, just check the temperatures

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Question is how the game even undervolt can draw that much power !?
At certain scenes and certain games, depending on graphics card hardware utilization, it's normal that card pulls more amp.

Is 175 watts dangerous for my card even undervolt especially for the VRMs.
Well, you already flashed different BIOS, so potentially it's already quite unsafe (you may raise amp limit and that can make card work at higher clock speed, at cost of VRM lifespan). That wattage by itself (ignoring all what you did), seems to be perfectly within spec. 8 pin connector is rated at 150 watts and PCIe slot is rated at 75 watts, so your hard limit will be 225 watts. 160 watt spec nowadays means average wattage, meaning that card's wattage can go up and go down a lot.

IchigoQc

At certain scenes and certain games, depending on graphics card hardware utilization, it's normal that card pulls more amp.

Well, you already flashed different BIOS, so potentially it's already quite unsafe (you may raise amp limit and that can make card work at higher clock speed, at cost of VRM lifespan). That wattage by itself (ignoring all what you did), seems to be perfectly within spec. 8 pin connector is rated at 150 watts and PCIe slot is rated at 75 watts, so your hard limit will be 225 watts. 160 watt spec nowadays means average wattage, meaning that card's wattage can go up and go down a lot.
So basically that's what I want to know, temperature seems fine, I checked again today when drawing constantly 145 watts VRMs heatsink is below 50c mostly around 45 I saw that one capacitor was at 58c the others were at 50c and that's with room temperature around 25c. I know that Watts is VOLT X AMP so if it's drawing more power so it's drawing more AMP since my voltage is capped at 0.968. Is more AMP bad for VRMs and Capacitors and Chokes !? I will never push this card up to 200 watts I don't have enough power phases. I don't want to kill it yet since getting a new GPU right now is a concern.

Right now since i'm undervolt in every games I'm usually below the original power draw limit of 160 watts so I'm within specs of the card. I unlocked it because even if it gets near 160 watts it's not dropping clock speed anymore so when I play games now it just sits @2010mhz. I can get it stable @2070mhz but it draws more power since I have to raise voltage to 1.006v instead of 0.968v

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Is more AMP bad for VRMs and Capacitors and Chokes !? I will never push this card up to 200 watts I don't have enough power phases. I don't want to kill it yet since getting a new GPU right now is a concern.
Sorry, but I don't know. You should definitely ask someone else, who understands this stuff. I would love to know that too.