• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 580 into RX 480 flash?

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Hi,
I have PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB OCV2 card, I am annoyed by its noise and am looking at ways to reduce it. I tried modifying its own BIOS many times, but I can't seem to find a good tune for it and there seems to be quite a bit of BIOS variable that I can't control through SRB Polaris or Polaris BIOS editor. I have been looking at RX 480s, which are essentially the same cards, but with lower clocks and found that there is very similar PowerColor RX 480 card. It shares the same cooler and when I looked at its vBIOS, it seems that it's very similarly tuned. Many things are similar, but power limits, TDC are lower, target temperature is higher (80C as opposed to 70C), fan curve is the same, but maximum rpm is lowered from 3500 rpm to 2800 rpm and fan start up frequency is 910 MHz, instead of 900Mhz. I don't know if electrical circuitry and memory is the same, but at least on specs they seem to match (same GDDR version, same bandwidth, same clocks). I also have looked at reference RX 480 and it seems that PowerColor version in terms of BIOS is nearly identical, the only difference between them is maximum fan rpms, which are lower on reference card (2200 rpm vs 2800 rpm). It seems that PowerColor reused same cooler and PCB, when they started making RX 580 and to compensate lack of optimal cooling, they ramped up fans.

The question is, how doable is flashing PowerColor RX 580 with PowerColor RX 480 or reference RX 480 BIOS? Will that work?

Here are card specs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-red-dragon-rx-480-8-gb.b4279 (warning, TPU database incorrectly mentions that RX 480 is overclocked, it's not, PowerColor website disagrees as well as BIOS in TPU database, I tried to report that, but function is broken)

Here are BIOSes of all cards in question:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hi,
I have PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB OCV2 card, I am annoyed by its noise and am looking at ways to reduce it. I tried modifying its own BIOS many times, but I can't seem to find a good tune for it and there seems to be quite a bit of BIOS variable that I can't control through SRB Polaris or Polaris BIOS editor. I have been looking at RX 480s, which are essentially the same cards, but with lower clocks and found that there is very similar PowerColor RX 480 card. It shares the same cooler and when I looked at its vBIOS, it seems that it's very similarly tuned. Many things are similar, but power limits, TDC are lower, target temperature is higher (80C as opposed to 70C), fan curve is the same, but maximum rpm is lowered from 3500 rpm to 2800 rpm and fan start up frequency is 910 MHz, instead of 900Mhz. I don't know if electrical circuitry and memory is the same, but at least on specs they seem to match (same GDDR version, same bandwidth, same clocks). I also have looked at reference RX 480 and it seems that PowerColor version in terms of BIOS is nearly identical, the only difference between them is maximum fan rpms, which are lower on reference card (2200 rpm vs 2800 rpm). It seems that PowerColor reused same cooler and PCB, when they started making RX 580 and to compensate lack of optimal cooling, they ramped up fans.

The question is, how doable is flashing PowerColor RX 580 with PowerColor RX 480 or reference RX 480 BIOS? Will that work?

Here are card specs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-red-dragon-rx-480-8-gb.b4279 (warning, TPU database incorrectly mentions that RX 480 is overclocked, it's not, PowerColor website disagrees as well as BIOS in TPU database, I tried to report that, but function is broken)

Here are BIOSes of all cards in question:
Get a GPU-Z screenshot please of what bios is currently on the card, and what noise are you experiencing? Coil noise or fan whirring?

Also in gpu-z click the arrow by the uefi check box and do the bios upload to the tpu vga database/bios collection through the program itself, you should get notified the bios is in the database woth a link, copy and paste that link here.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Get a GPU-Z screenshot please of what bios is currently on the card, and what noise are you experiencing?
Currently a custom BIOS. I tried to enter RX 480 specs into RX 580 BIOS. I didn't touch timings. It kinda works, but core voltage is off, so I get less clock speed than from legit RX 480. And I wasn't able to replicate exactly core clock speed table, it just ends up being somewhat off all time once I click on save modified BIOS. BTW it's like 50 something attempt of mine to get a nice BIOS. I have almost all my other mod attempts saved. I also have original BIOS. Original BIOS is fine, but some things are not modding friendly. My card can do 1350 MHz core clock with 1025 mV (stock 1150 mV) and then 1250 MHz at less than 950 mV, but values below 950 mV don't work. They can be set in AMD Wattman, but card doesn't go below that in any load (Unigine Heaven, Unigine Super position, GTA 5, CoD MW). Also original BIOS in long loads tends to rpm up fan a lot at first even if temperature is low, and then after a while it starts to function according to actual GPU temperature. I checked VRM temperature and no, fan ignores it. So in long, but bursty load, fan stays in quite high rpms, that happens in games with VSync on. Oh and stock BIOS has broken memory undervolting. You can set memory to really low voltage and it works (although inconsistently, sometimes it crashes). I knew that something was off, when card handled Unigine Heaven with just 650 mV on VRAM, stock is 1000 mV. Modifying it in BIOS doesn't change anything. Card doesn't have actual VRAM voltage sensor, so that makes impossible to know what it actually does.

Coil noise or fan whirring?
Just fan noise. I'm not sure about whirring, but it just seems to be healthy fan noise. Problem is that with standard BIOS, in gaming, fan does really fast, almost at 3000 rpm and it's literally as loud as game volume. It's unacceptable. I tried Wattman, but it has tendency to reset tunes for no apparent reason, sometimes even normal reboot messes up Wattman, so it's useless. The card itself stays in low 70s while gaming, so it's not running hot. It's just that default target temperature is set to 70C and with stock cooler that's not realistic without making fans loud. And despite card not looking phallic, heatsink is for it (and BIOS tune) is straight up MSI Armor tier. I have tried increasing case airflow, but that had almost no effect on card temperature and fan rpms.

Also in gpu-z click the arrow by the uefi check box and do the bios upload to the tpu vga database/bios collection through the program itself, you should get notified the bios is in the database woth a link, copy and paste that link here.
I will try that. Should I upload stock BIOS or my modified BIOS?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Currently a custom BIOS. I tried to enter RX 480 specs into RX 580 BIOS. I didn't touch timings. It kinda works, but core voltage is off, so I get less clock speed than from legit RX 480. And I wasn't able to replicate exactly core clock speed table, it just ends up being somewhat off all time once I click on save modified BIOS. BTW it's like 50 something attempt of mine to get a nice BIOS. I have almost all my other mod attempts saved. I also have original BIOS. Original BIOS is fine, but some things are not modding friendly. My card can do 1350 MHz core clock with 1025 mV (stock 1150 mV) and then 1250 MHz at less than 950 mV, but values below 950 mV don't work. They can be set in AMD Wattman, but card doesn't go below that in any load (Unigine Heaven, Unigine Super position, GTA 5, CoD MW). Also original BIOS in long loads tends to rpm up fan a lot at first even if temperature is low, and then after a while it starts to function according to actual GPU temperature. I checked VRM temperature and no, fan ignores it. So in long, but bursty load, fan stays in quite high rpms, that happens in games with VSync on. Oh and stock BIOS has broken memory undervolting. You can set memory to really low voltage and it works (although inconsistently, sometimes it crashes). I knew that something was off, when card handled Unigine Heaven with just 650 mV on VRAM, stock is 1000 mV. Modifying it in BIOS doesn't change anything. Card doesn't have actual VRAM voltage sensor, so that makes impossible to know what it actually does.

Just fan noise. I'm not sure about whirring, but it just seems to be healthy fan noise. Problem is that with standard BIOS, in gaming, fan does really fast, almost at 3000 rpm and it's literally as loud as game volume. It's unacceptable. I tried Wattman, but it has tendency to reset tunes for no apparent reason, sometimes even normal reboot messes up Wattman, so it's useless. The card itself stays in low 70s while gaming, so it's not running hot. It's just that default target temperature is set to 70C and with stock cooler that's not realistic without making fans loud. And despite card not looking phallic, heatsink is for it (and BIOS tune) is straight up MSI Armor tier. I have tried increasing case airflow, but that had almost no effect on card temperature and fan rpms.

I will try that. Should I upload stock BIOS or my modified BIOS?

Just your stock bios, i need to look at some values

You should get a link, thats the only way I can look at them

The gpu-z screenshot helps with the memory bit when the card is working correctly

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Just your stock bios, i need to look at some values

You should get a link, thats the only way I can look at them

The gpu-z screenshot helps with the memory bit when the card is working correctly
I reflashed it back to stock. Did as you said. Here is the link:

Oh and I forgot GPU-Z screenshot, so here it is:
rx.gif

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I reflashed it back to stock. Did as you said. Here is the link:

Oh and I forgot GPU-Z screenshot, so here it is:
View attachment 209808

This will take time but feel free to review these files, they all have your device ID and Subsystem ID, I try to look at the newest files, so say from 2018 and onward, if they have hynix ram like your catd does then they are a winner, newer bios have bug fixes for all kinds of problems older ones don't.

Ok these are the latest Stock bios for your card, do some comparing

Here are a slew of RX 480s, the 1002 67DF 148C is what matches the 470, 480, 570, 580 together, where the last 4 digits determine if they are actually a 470, 480, 570, 580.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
This will take time but feel free to review these files, they all have your device ID and Subsystem ID, I try to look at the newest files, so say from 2018 and onward, if they have hynix ram like your catd does then they are a winner, newer bios have bug fixes for all kinds of problems older ones don't.

Ok these are the latest Stock bios for your card, do some comparing

Here are a slew of RX 480s, the 1002 67DF 148C is what matches the 470, 480, 570, 580 together, where the last 4 digits determine if they are actually a 470, 480, 570, 580.
I tried both BIOSes, both were bad. Both made card not output any signal. I tried flashing reference RX 480 and PowerColor RX 480 BIOSes just to see what happens and ATiFlash says that there is SystemID mismatch.

Edit: I copied my RX 580's Subvendor ID to PowerColor RX 480 BIOS, flashed it and surprise surprise, it booted and it works. It runs GTA, is stable in Superposition. The only thing that it's a bit off is that there is some odd stuttering in GTA 5, which I haven't seen with just wattage or amperage modified RX 580 BIOS. Oh and it now reports the card as RX 580, instead of RX 480.

Edit 2:
I did accelerated thermal testing and PC 480 BIOS works well. In Furmark temperature remained in mid 70s and fan speed was in 1400s-1500s. There also wasn't any stupid fan ramping up for no reason at start either. So that's great.

Edit 3:
Ran Unigine Heaven with PC 480 BIOS. Performance was great, better than my RX 580 BIOS made to be like RX 480. Unfortunately here's one flaw. Fan speed stayed in 1800-1900 rpm range, which is definitely audible. It's not bad, just not great. But a lot better than stock 3500 rpm in GTA 5 (I retested that too, that's very loud). And there are some traces of old RX 580 BIOS. If fan is set to max in MSI Afterburner, then fan still reaches 3500 rpm, which maybe it shouldn't with RX 480 BIOS, even if cooler remained the same.

Edit 4:
I just mentioned that there was no stupid initial ramp up, but once I retested in Heaven (for over half hour), there was a ramp up and now fan remained at 1800-1900 range through the test.

Edit 5:
I tried some other verified BIOSes and I found one working well for me:

No crashes, no bullshit, it just works similarly like default one. It seem to ramp up fan closer to temperature changes and in GTA 5 fan rpms were a lot lower, somewhere in 2200-2600 range. That's a lot better than 3500 rpm. In long Heaven run, it didn't climb above 3000 rpms and In Furmark short run it stayed within 2200-2300 rpms. I even stopped fans with fingers, let card heat up to 87C and let fans run again. Fan speed for a while was 3500 rpms, but it quickly recovered and stayed at same 2200-2300 rpms. This isn't a great BIOS, but it's a big improvement over stock one. The real achievement is that it is quieter while delivering full performance, by own BIOS tweaks involve reduction of TDP, so performance is naturally reduced too.

Edit 6:
I modified new vBIOS for RX 580 to 110 watt one, tested in Heaven and it stayed at 78C and 1350 rpms. It seems to detect temperature target correctly and raises rpms when needed, instead of being dumb and ignoring temps. Anyway, I think that I this answers my questions. I decided to reflash it to 107 watt without changing temperature target and I will use it for a while.

Edit 7: Turns out that new BIOS isn't that great. As weird as it sounds, but after keeping PC on for a while and doing random things with it, it just loses some vBIOS settings. I reran Heaven and Superposition, for some reason card was stuck at 2100-2300 rpm and yet was only 63C hot. Temperature target right now is set to 80C. At least card doesn't seem to violate set power limit, but what good that power limit is when card is stupid with fans? I guess I need advice again. @eidairaman1 BTW I see some odd graphical glitching in Wreckfest, I cleared shader cache and temporary file, but it remained. Rebooting game and PC doesn't seem to help. I have never had it to glitch to me, so BIOS might be a suspect, but card survives a long time in Heaven and Furmark, it's otherwise stable in everything else. I still use the same driver, maybe that's why. I don't get codes in device manager. Eh, odd, but other than that, nothing is clearly at fault.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I tried both BIOSes, both were bad. Both made card not output any signal. I tried flashing reference RX 480 and PowerColor RX 480 BIOSes just to see what happens and ATiFlash says that there is SystemID mismatch.

Edit: I copied my RX 580's Subvendor ID to PowerColor RX 480 BIOS, flashed it and surprise surprise, it booted and it works. It runs GTA, is stable in Superposition. The only thing that it's a bit off is that there is some odd stuttering in GTA 5, which I haven't seen with just wattage or amperage modified RX 580 BIOS. Oh and it now reports the card as RX 580, instead of RX 480.

Edit 2:
I did accelerated thermal testing and PC 480 BIOS works well. In Furmark temperature remained in mid 70s and fan speed was in 1400s-1500s. There also wasn't any stupid fan ramping up for no reason at start either. So that's great.

Edit 3:
Ran Unigine Heaven with PC 480 BIOS. Performance was great, better than my RX 580 BIOS made to be like RX 480. Unfortunately here's one flaw. Fan speed stayed in 1800-1900 rpm range, which is definitely audible. It's not bad, just not great. But a lot better than stock 3500 rpm in GTA 5 (I retested that too, that's very loud). And there are some traces of old RX 580 BIOS. If fan is set to max in MSI Afterburner, then fan still reaches 3500 rpm, which maybe it shouldn't with RX 480 BIOS, even if cooler remained the same.

Edit 4:
I just mentioned that there was no stupid initial ramp up, but once I retested in Heaven (for over half hour), there was a ramp up and now fan remained at 1800-1900 range through the test.

Edit 5:
I tried some other verified BIOSes and I found one working well for me:

No crashes, no bullshit, it just works similarly like default one. It seem to ramp up fan closer to temperature changes and in GTA 5 fan rpms were a lot lower, somewhere in 2200-2600 range. That's a lot better than 3500 rpm. In long Heaven run, it didn't climb above 3000 rpms and In Furmark short run it stayed within 2200-2300 rpms. I even stopped fans with fingers, let card heat up to 87C and let fans run again. Fan speed for a while was 3500 rpms, but it quickly recovered and stayed at same 2200-2300 rpms. This isn't a great BIOS, but it's a big improvement over stock one. The real achievement is that it is quieter while delivering full performance, by own BIOS tweaks involve reduction of TDP, so performance is naturally reduced too.

Edit 6:
I modified new vBIOS for RX 580 to 110 watt one, tested in Heaven and it stayed at 78C and 1350 rpms. It seems to detect temperature target correctly and raises rpms when needed, instead of being dumb and ignoring temps. Anyway, I think that I this answers my questions. I decided to reflash it to 107 watt without changing temperature target and I will use it for a while.

Edit 7: Turns out that new BIOS isn't that great. As weird as it sounds, but after keeping PC on for a while and doing random things with it, it just loses some vBIOS settings. I reran Heaven and Superposition, for some reason card was stuck at 2100-2300 rpm and yet was only 63C hot. Temperature target right now is set to 80C. At least card doesn't seem to violate set power limit, but what good that power limit is when card is stupid with fans? I guess I need advice again. @eidairaman1 BTW I see some odd graphical glitching in Wreckfest, I cleared shader cache and temporary file, but it remained. Rebooting game and PC doesn't seem to help. I have never had it to glitch to me, so BIOS might be a suspect, but card survives a long time in Heaven and Furmark, it's otherwise stable in everything else. I still use the same driver, maybe that's why. I don't get codes in device manager. Eh, odd, but other than that, nothing is clearly at fault.
What driver are you using for wreckfest?

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
System Name "Big E"
Processor I5 2400
Motherboard Intel DQ67OW
Cooling Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4 X 2 Gb Kingmax 1333
Video Card(s) MSI RX470 gaming x 4gb
Storage samsung F3 500 GB
Display(s) Acer S271HLBbid
Case "Big E"
Power Supply Gembird 450 W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software W10 LTSC
Benchmark Scores Nothing worthy to mention
have you tried RADEON fan controller? It's a software that takes over and is superior to the bios settings.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
For the Wattman reset issue.
Try to disable Windows fast boot and also if you have MSI Afterburner installed go to the settings and un tick Erase autosaved startup settings under the general tab.

That fixed the issue for me, and also disabled the crappy Gigabyte software auto start with windows. 'insert whatever brand software you might have installed'
I'm running a constant Wattman custom settings with my RX 570 and also a 40-45% fan speed in Afterburner and now its completely stable in overall, 950 Mv on State 7 Wattaman undervolt with +25% power limit.
RPM is around 1200+ which is dead silent and reaches around 65-70 celsius depending on the game. 'its hot in my room during summer cause I don't have an AC'

Btw 70-75 celsius seems to be the standard target for these RX cards, mine also defaulted to 73 when I first used it.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
have you tried RADEON fan controller? It's a software that takes over and is superior to the bios settings.
No, probably not going to try it as I want to set permanent fan speed curve, regardless of OS. vBIOS tweaking is still the best solution for that.

For the Wattman reset issue.
Try to disable Windows fast boot
Fast boot in BIOS and fast boot up are disabled.

and also if you have MSI Afterburner installed go to the settings and un tick Erase autosaved startup settings under the general tab.
While that's nice to know, I would still prefer to sort out BIOS first. Inconsistent BIOS behaviour isn't normal.

That fixed the issue for me, and also disabled the crappy Gigabyte software auto start with windows. 'insert whatever brand software you might have installed'
lol I have none extra software and PowerColor probably never had it either.

I'm running a constant Wattman custom settings with my RX 570 and also a 40-45% fan speed in Afterburner and now its completely stable in overall, 950 Mv on State 7 Wattaman undervolt with +25% power limit.
RPM is around 1200+ which is dead silent and reaches around 65-70 celsius depending on the game.
My card can do 1025 mV in state 7, 950 mV or less in state 6. The problem is that stock BIOS was limited only up to 950 mV undervolts and you can't edit exact value in vBIOS. You can only reduce voltage offset, which is bad, because it makes all state voltages lower and my card really doesn't like lower state 0 voltage. Beyond offset, you really can't mess with voltages on BIOS level with SRB Polaris or Polaris BIOS Editor (1.4.1 and 1.7.5). I have no idea how to edit raw BIOS and am not sure if it's even possible to change voltage in it.

'its hot in my room during summer cause I don't have an AC'
Summer is brutal without AC in Europe. I remember, there were 3 weeks straight of hot sunny days with 31-33C outside (inside it was 35-36) all the time. I was doing nothing, just sitting in chair and I was constantly sweating. At that point, I changed power limit of RX 580 to 92 watts, but I didn't want to play when it was so hot. The only salvation of those days for me was driving bicycle for 2 hours straight. You get all wet quickly, but it's not very exhausting. And you are in nearly constant wind. And after drive you could go to cool bath. I still do that, even if it's not as hot anymore. Graphics cards sure do emit a lot of heat. RX 580 is the worst card in that aspect, that I have ever owned. I had RX 560 4GB, GTX 650 Ti, nVidia FX 5200 128MB 128 bit, ATi X800 Pro, ATi X800 XT PE, ATi FirePro v5800 and ATi FirePro v3750 and none of them emitted as much heat as this RX 580 does. I even detuned RX 580 to 720MHz only and about 75 watts and it still was aa lot worse than RX 560 in terms of dumped heat. RX 580 made me hate high end cards with passion. Even people with houses are screwed without AC, I once did a test, where I ran Xbox 360 (up to 150 watts of total power consumption) until it took me to raise temperature of that room by one degree. In hot summer day, it took 2 hours for that to happen. A typical TPUer computer, in same conditions would heat up the same room by whopping 3 degrees. That's a lot of heat. Unless you never close doors and have Windows open, only then you won't be sautéed as bad in house without AC, but heat still has to travel, so some pats of room will be really hot.

Btw 70-75 celsius seems to be the standard target for these RX cards, mine also defaulted to 73 when I first used it.
Mine was set to 70C in vBIOS originally, but the card could never quite reach it with default power limit and without making fans scream at 3500 rpm. In my latest BIOS I lowered power limit to 107 watts (stock is 147 watts) and set temperature target to 80C (which matches reference cards or MSI Armor RX 580, so it should be reasonably safe). If it works right, then card remains decently silent, but if card becomes dum-dum, then fans still scream, even with temperature being in low 60s.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Summer is brutal without AC in Europe. I remember, there were 3 weeks straight of hot sunny days with 31-33C outside (inside it was 35-36) all the time. I was doing nothing, just sitting in chair and I was constantly sweating. At that point, I changed power limit of RX 580 to 92 watts, but I didn't want to play when it was so hot. The only salvation of those days for me was driving bicycle for 2 hours straight. You get all wet quickly, but it's not very exhausting. And you are in nearly constant wind. And after drive you could go to cool bath. I still do that, even if it's not as hot anymore. Graphics cards sure do emit a lot of heat. RX 580 is the worst card in that aspect, that I have ever owned. I had RX 560 4GB, GTX 650 Ti, nVidia FX 5200 128MB 128 bit, ATi X800 Pro, ATi X800 XT PE, ATi FirePro v5800 and ATi FirePro v3750 and none of them emitted as much heat as this RX 580 does. I even detuned RX 580 to 720MHz only and about 75 watts and it still was aa lot worse than RX 560 in terms of dumped heat. RX 580 made me hate high end cards with passion. Even people with houses are screwed without AC, I once did a test, where I ran Xbox 360 (up to 150 watts of total power consumption) until it took me to raise temperature of that room by one degree. In hot summer day, it took 2 hours for that to happen. A typical TPUer computer, in same conditions would heat up the same room by whopping 3 degrees. That's a lot of heat. Unless you never close doors and have Windows open, only then you won't be sautéed as bad in house without AC, but heat still has to travel, so some pats of room will be really hot..

Yeah no kidding, my room is upstairs and my windows/main walls face the same direction where the sun comes up so by the time I wake up its cooking me at 30+ celsius already.:banghead:

I have 6 fans in my case so tha helps but ofc they can't do much when my whole room is a desert,:laugh:

I guess I'm lucky that I can keep temps under control here more or less.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
@eidairaman1 I captured a short video of Wreckfest glitching. Background is broken and trees are flickering. I never had that before and now this continues in any track. Anyway, here's the video:

I also reflashed original vBIOS and game is still glitched. So it's not a problem with vBIOS, maybe.

Yeah no kidding, my room is upstairs and my windows/main walls face the same direction where the sun comes up so by the time I wake up its cooking me at 30+ celsius already.:banghead:

I have 6 fans in my case so tha helps but ofc they can't do much when my whole room is a desert,:laugh:

I guess I'm lucky that I can keep temps under control here more or less.
I have to admit that I pretty much whole summer, just can't go to sleep at any normal time. I pretty much never end up going to sleep before 6 AM. There's no point in doing otherwise. And during really hot days I would try to go to bed, but it so hot that I just lay and sweat and due to that, I just don't fall asleep. I once tried to force myself to sleep, but I ended up laying for 2 hours straight and finally fell asleep for 1 hour. May as well I should sleep on floor, at least it's easier to clean sweet from there.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@eidairaman1 I captured a short video of Wreckfest glitching. Background is broken and trees are flickering. I never had that before and now this continues in any track. Anyway, here's the video:

I also reflashed original vBIOS and game is still glitched. So it's not a problem with vBIOS, maybe.

I have to admit that I pretty much whole summer, just can't go to sleep at any normal time. I pretty much never end up going to sleep before 6 AM. There's no point in doing otherwise. And during really hot days I would try to go to bed, but it so hot that I just lay and sweat and due to that, I just don't fall asleep. I once tried to force myself to sleep, but I ended up laying for 2 hours straight and finally fell asleep for 1 hour. May as well I should sleep on floor, at least it's easier to clean sweet from there.

I would say it is the game itself otherwise you would have artifacting across every single game

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
I would say it is the game itself otherwise you would have artifacting across every single game
So that is settled. BTW do you have any possible explanation, why fan went bonkers after some hours of computer use as I mentioned in Edit 7?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
So that is settled. BTW do you have any possible explanation, why fan went bonkers after some hours of computer use as I mentioned in Edit 7?

Let me review it.

Hey listen, stop using furmark, just use unigen and games.

Have you taken the card apart, cleaned the heatsink, fans, replaced thermal compound and or pads?

I know hotspot and vrm temps can cause a sudden change, also I hope you are not running mining software in background

My Experience with my Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 4G (Nitro Precursor) is that once in a blue moon upon boot or reboot the fans rev to max speed, I think it might be a selftest/cleaning.

Then they level off once in the OS

Preventing a fan from spinning can damage it in time so I dont suggest holding it.

How fresh is your OS?

Last edited:
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Hey listen, stop using furmark, just use unigen and games.
Why?

Have you taken the card apart, cleaned the heatsink, fans, replaced thermal compound and or pads?
It's as clean as it could be. I have taken it apart, it has Arctic MX-2 now. Haven't changed VRM pads, but they do their job fine.

I know hotspot and vrm temps can cause a sudden change, also I hope you are not running mining software in background
No, I don't. But if I do, I don't use my PC then and I set it to reduce power limit.

My Experience with my Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 4G (Nitro Precursor) is that once in a blue moon upon boot or reboot the fans rev to max speed, I think it might be a selftest/cleaning.

Then they level off once in the OS
That's not it. All old cards ramp up their fans to the max during boot up. I don't know exactly, but it might be due to the fact that in pre-UEFI days vBIOS was fully loaded after POST, but not fan control. Oh and old computers revved up optical drives too. Pretty normal, but that's not selfcleaning or self test (at least if you don't count POST as self test). I don't know what you had with 290, but it might be some janky compatibility feature (for UEFI board, CSM or for BIOS board it's custom compatibility layer, wasn't it EFI?).

Preventing a fan from spinning can damage it in time so I dont suggest holding it.
I know I shouldn't, but why exactly. If it doesn't spin, it just doesn't move, there's no effect on bearing and motor is just magnetizing rotor, but without motion.

How fresh is your OS?
I don't know, but pretty old. Used it with FX 6300 too. It might be Windows 7 install that migrated to 10, but I'm not sure if there wasn't some catastrophical fault in 2016-2018, that I needed to reinstall it. It's SFC error free.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Why?

It's as clean as it could be. I have taken it apart, it has Arctic MX-2 now. Haven't changed VRM pads, but they do their job fine.

No, I don't. But if I do, I don't use my PC then and I set it to reduce power limit.

That's not it. All old cards ramp up their fans to the max during boot up. I don't know exactly, but it might be due to the fact that in pre-UEFI days vBIOS was fully loaded after POST, but not fan control. Oh and old computers revved up optical drives too. Pretty normal, but that's not selfcleaning or self test (at least if you don't count POST as self test). I don't know what you had with 290, but it might be some janky compatibility feature (for UEFI board, CSM or for BIOS board it's custom compatibility layer, wasn't it EFI?).

I know I shouldn't, but why exactly. If it doesn't spin, it just doesn't move, there's no effect on bearing and motor is just magnetizing rotor, but without motion.

I don't know, but pretty old. Used it with FX 6300 too. It might be Windows 7 install that migrated to 10, but I'm not sure if there wasn't some catastrophical fault in 2016-2018, that I needed to reinstall it. It's SFC error free.

Why?

My GPU was UEFI by default, CSM secondary

Why?

It over loads the motor and circuitry via induction

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
That's CPU stress test function. I only use GPU test. It doesn't cause any unexpected behaviour. I monitor my watts carefully and Furmark doesn't do any magic on Radeon RX 580. In fact, it makes RX 580 consume less power than Unigine Heaven. Furmark only kills poorly made cards and cards that don't have proper hotspot sensors (I don't even have it on RX 580). Other than that I don't run Furmark long, only for 5-15 minutes. I mostly use it as temperature testing program for GPU, as it is poorly made stability test. I have never ever killed any card in Furmark and I firmly believe that Furmark is just software and if hardware doesn't handle it, then it shouldn't had been made the way it was. In terms of watt usage, most demanding thing that you can do on your card is to play a game and record it with ReLive. Superposition doesn't load GPU as much as gaming with ReLive does.

Anyway, my unpredictable fan speed issue is software independent and manifests in games, benches. I tried Radeon Stress Test (included in Wattman) and that made card spin the fastest. It might have been the actual cause of different fan bahaviour. As I used it to test card for stability after Wreckfest glitching. In only 1 minute, it caused card to spin fan up to 2600 rpm.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
That's CPU stress test function. I only use GPU test. It doesn't cause any unexpected behaviour. I monitor my watts carefully and Furmark doesn't do any magic on Radeon RX 580. In fact, it makes RX 580 consume less power than Unigine Heaven. Furmark only kills poorly made cards and cards that don't have proper hotspot sensors (I don't even have it on RX 580). Other than that I don't run Furmark long, only for 5-15 minutes. I mostly use it as temperature testing program for GPU, as it is poorly made stability test. I have never ever killed any card in Furmark and I firmly believe that Furmark is just software and if hardware doesn't handle it, then it shouldn't had been made the way it was. In terms of watt usage, most demanding thing that you can do on your card is to play a game and record it with ReLive. Superposition doesn't load GPU as much as gaming with ReLive does.

Anyway, my unpredictable fan speed issue is software independent and manifests in games, benches. I tried Radeon Stress Test (included in Wattman) and that made card spin the fastest. It might have been the actual cause of different fan bahaviour. As I used it to test card for stability after Wreckfest glitching. In only 1 minute, it caused card to spin fan up to 2600 rpm.

The reason the gpu uses less power is because it detects furmark and throttles it.

Anyway, my unpredictable fan speed issue is software independent and manifests in games, benches. I tried e r usakRadeon Stress Test (included in Wattman) and that made card spin the fastest. It might have been the actual cause of different fan bahaviour. As I used it to test card for stability after Wreckfest glitching. In only 1 minute, it caused card to spin fan up to 2600 rpm.
Make sure to restore all fan tools you used to default, make sure they all are not able to start up and for now make sure just to use wattman or w/e it is.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
The reason the gpu uses less power is because it detects furmark and throttles it.
Not at all, it just doesn't load GPU well. Seriously, Furmark is old and likely works suboptimally on new GPU architectures. I used Furmark with RX 560, GTX 650 Ti, ATi X800 series, there's nothing really special about it. It was released about that time, when nVidia made unreliable overheating chips. I remember some nVidia chips frying in Macbooks, as well as many stories of dead cards from overheating. That's probably why Furmark (and some other benches) got poor reputation.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Not at all, it just doesn't load GPU well. Seriously, Furmark is old and likely works suboptimally on new GPU architectures. I used Furmark with RX 560, GTX 650 Ti, ATi X800 series, there's nothing really special about it. It was released about that time, when nVidia made unreliable overheating chips. I remember some nVidia chips frying in Macbooks, as well as many stories of dead cards from overheating. That's probably why Furmark (and some other benches) got poor reputation.
Furmark was released around the time HD 7000 series came about, NV called it a power virus and their cards throttle it.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Make sure to restore all fan tools you used to default, make sure they all are not able to start up and for now make sure just to use wattman or w/e it is.
I don't use any of them. I only use Afterburner for monitoring and Wattman for temporary tweaks. Wattman was running system default, when fan was spinning fast then.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Anyways,the fan controller/fan thermostat may be on its way out, id look very carefully at the fan connections and fans closely. Im unaware if its on the gpu pcb or on the fan hubs...