• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Senate Banking Committee Bashes Bitcoin’s ‘Phony’ Populism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Senator Elizabeth Warren said the industry needs tighter regulation. She painted the industry as a fraud-ridden, accountability-dodging, digital slot machine that enriches its creators and burns everyone else. She also said bitcoin decentralization is a fantastical narrative because the network’s true power brokers – miners and corporations – have the leverage to achieve false moral supremacy over big banks.

The Committee Chairman answered his own hearing’s titular question, “Cryptocurrencies: What are they good for?” – with a resounding “nothing.” Also said,“There’s nothing democratic or transparent about a shady diffuse network of online funny money,” Brown said. He called for “smart regulations” that protect consumers from crypto “extortionists” and their “phony populist marketing.”

With these kind of things being said by lawmakers it's clear that crypto isn't going to gain the traction here in the USA that some might think. Even Amazon has said they won't be accepting Bitcoin for purchases.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Crap this is whack I agree lol :nutkick:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Senator Elizabeth Warren said the industry needs tighter regulation. She painted the industry as a fraud-ridden, accountability-dodging, digital slot machine that enriches its creators and burns everyone else. She also said bitcoin decentralization is a fantastical narrative because the network’s true power brokers – miners and corporations – have the leverage to achieve false moral supremacy over big banks.

The Committee Chairman answered his own hearing’s titular question, “Cryptocurrencies: What are they good for?” – with a resounding “nothing.” Also said,“There’s nothing democratic or transparent about a shady diffuse network of online funny money,” Brown said. He called for “smart regulations” that protect consumers from crypto “extortionists” and their “phony populist marketing.”

With these kind of things being said by lawmakers it's clear that crypto isn't going to gain the traction here in the USA that some might think. Even Amazon has said they won't be accepting Bitcoin for purchases.

it will be interesting to see if the regulations/extra taxes/whatever moves they implement will be enough to stop bitcoins growth.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
it will be interesting to see if the regulations/extra taxes/whatever moves they implement will be enough to stop bitcoins growth.
Hi,
Well you got one hint above
Other side usually goes towards free market so there's the not likely going to do anything.
Maybe "phone and pen" will happen by someone higher up the chain lol

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

Well....... Hate to say it (NOT :D) but I must agree and I'm not a Commiecrat either.
Not trying to be political here but Warren CAN say and do some weird/crazy/"Out there" stuff but she's right about most of this and I agree 100% with the chairman about what it is.

Of course many will disagree and I'm fine with that, it's even expected but that's where I stand and how I see it.
I do know one thing, if I had a business I would never accept it either.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
BitCoin is to unstable for Rich people to want to Hide their ill gotten loot so they want it to be illegal or legalized and regulated
to the Hilt.
However if it was stable and they can hide their loot Regulation would be lighter.

ps seeing as that market is dominated by Chinese Players..... i'm surprised that they have not raised the National interest Card
as its a Traded commodity ( and under the influence of Non US Nationals ).

Last edited:

That's like the pot calling the kettle black. I mean, what is the Federal Reserve? Sure, its "regulated" but not by the US citizens or even directly by the US government. Technically, neither crypto or USD is backed by anything. The only difference I see is crypto is unstable and doesn't fall under control of the FTC or Federal Reserve.

Can't see any problems with that statement. Seems spot-on to me.

That's like the pot calling the kettle black. I mean, what is the Federal Reserve?
That's like comparing the Sun to a 40w light bulb.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Funny. This is the same hearing with quite some different version of the coverage:

Do note, this is a pro-crypto publication, but so was yours. Hard to tell whos telling the truth anymore...

Not trying to be political here
Cool. Please leave the fun lingo at the door then.

;.; when the first transaction is for pizza and it goes by the rate of 3000 bitcoins. You got to reevaluate your life decisions.
The guy who bought that pizza had been interviewed and told reporters "I have no regrets. It was good pizza."

Feel free to google verify.

Even Amazon has said they won't be accepting Bitcoin for purchases.

Uh... not from what I hear.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Uh... not from what I hear.

You're going from a rumor started by a London Tabloid. Amazon has denied they plan to accept Bitcoin for purchases.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
You're going from a rumor started by a London Tabloid.
Bloomberg? I'dve thought they'd cite sources better but it is 2021...

These articles seem unrelated, in actuality. Bloomberg one is citing a real job ad, and nothing else... though they do claim it is from a report by "Insider" which could be the tabloid. *shrugs*

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Cool. Please leave the fun lingo at the door then.
No prob but note that wasn't meant to be fun because it's the truth.
Considering who's involved I must say I'm actually suprised.... Yet at the same time I'm not and had to make it clear "Why" I said it.

I'm done here - Carry on.

Low quality post by sepheronx
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Ah yes, Pocahontas and her Native heritage.

Anyone who likes her or believes her BS deserves everything bad they get.

Americans. Full of themselves and blight for rest of us.

I'm done.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Ahh the good old Crypto Scams. Gees what about all the Credit Card/Cash scams we don't hear about. They would be endless. Hell my phone still doesn't stop with scams trying to get my money.

Funny thing is they have never asked for my BTC :rolleyes:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
No prob but note that wasn't meant to be fun because it's the truth.
A lot of people disagree which makes it inherently political.

BitCoin is to unstable for Rich people to want to Hide their ill gotten loot so they want it to be illegal or legalized and regulated
Rich people don't care, they have literally trillions of other avenues to make them even more rich. Hey did you see that Musky tweet last night, you know the one cut your *coin networth in half :nutkick:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Ah yes, Pocahontas and her Native heritage
It was DNA tested out to be real.

Can we stop?

Rich people don't care, they have literally trillions of other avenues to make them even more rich. Hey did you see that Musky tweet last night, you know the one cut your *coin networth in half :nutkick:
He didn't cut mine in half because I ain't sellin'

Low quality post by sepheronx
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
It was DNA tested out to be real.

Can we stop?

Yeah, her 0.00001%

Lol

American politicians are a joke and blight.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Bloomberg? I'dve thought they'd cite sources better but it is 2021...

These articles seem unrelated, in actuality. Bloomberg one is citing a real job ad, and nothing else... though they do claim it is from a report by "Insider" which could be the tabloid. *shrugs*

I don't understand your point. I said that Amazon doesn't plan to accept Bitcoin and you replied "uh not from what I hear".

If you look at the times of the articles you will see that the Bloomberg article was posted in the AM and the Reuters article denying the rumor was posted in the PM after presumably contacting Amazon.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
I don't understand your point. I said that Amazon doesn't plan to accept Bitcoin and you replied "uh not from what I hear".

If you look at the times of the articles you will see that the Bloomberg article was posted in the AM and the Reuters article denying the rumor was posted in the PM after presumably contacting Amazon.

Yes correct, but they are looking for somebody to employ with blockchain experience. What does this tell you?

But that's just you, I bet there's 5-10x as many who would freak out over this & even if half of them sell I'd say mission accomplished? Anyone (relatively) new to crypto is in it mostly for the quick buck, that DOGE millionaire or SHIBA billionaire aren't necessarily rooting for these *coins to replace $ but sure as hell will take every $ coming their way!

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Yes correct, but they are looking for somebody to employ with blockchain experience. What does this tell you?

It tells me they are exploring possibilities. They could easily decide against accepting Bitcoin as payments on purchases but it's smart to take a serious look at it and make an informed decision.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Yeah, her 0.00001%

Lol

American politicians are a joke and blight.
Same as anywhere else in the world I'm afraid - Nothing special to see here along those lines, move along guys.

I don't know what they have planned or what they'll propose but I can bet they'll be trying to get their dirty hooks into it somehow to control it "Legally".
They just gotta figure out the angle to attack it with for max self-profit.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

My "point" you are quoting was a concession that you may be correct.

Blockchain can mean a lot, not just currency related.

Status
Not open for further replies.