• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Raises Chip Prices by Up To 20 Percent as Chip Shortages Continue

TSMC is already making record profits with the current pricing of their nodes. They are not hurting whatsoever.

Raising the prices of their nodes by up to 20% is just taking advantage of the high demand.
Economics 101.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
there is a very much three different worlds in the united states especially. the ultra wealthy, the very well off, and the middle class as it continues to get hollowed out into the poor class.

if you want to make money, good money and join the very well off types, its fairly simply, go to a community college, become an electrician, plumber, or something in-demand like that, and in 2 years you will be making 70-90k a year. and then $2 grand on a gpu is a joke to you.
Just need to point out that Electricians and Plumbers will not make 70-90k right after school, as they have to go through an apprenticeship program and become licensed, and even after that, they won't be making anything near 70k, unless they live in an outrageously high-cost-of-living area. Median wage is ~$56k, strictly middle class, much closer to lower middle class that the median.

I find $2k for a GPU to indeed be a bad joke. Similarly I find the idea of cryptocurrency as it stands right now a joke. Cryptocurrency just uses massive amounts of power, mostly of which comes from nonrenewable sources, to make unique worthless digital identifiers that people with vast amounts of wealth can hype to pump up, and make loads of money doing so due to lack of regulation(it's illegal to do this with stocks). That, and pretending cryptocurrency is a viable solution to government currency while being so laughably unstable in value, not to mention the only people that actually own it are the people that mine it, this just replaces one centralized power(government) with another(wealthy corporations/people that can afford huge mining farms).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just need to point out that Electricians and Plumbers will not make 70-90k right after school, as they have to go through an apprenticeship program and become licensed, and even after that, they won't be making anything near 70k, unless they live in an outrageously high-cost-of-living area. Median wage is ~$56k, strictly middle class, much closer to lower middle class that the median.

I find $2k for a GPU to indeed be a bad joke. Similarly I find the idea of cryptocurrency as it stands right now a joke. Cryptocurrency just uses massive amounts of power, mostly of which comes from nonrenewable sources, to make unique worthless digital identifiers that people with vast amounts of wealth can hype to pump up, and make loads of money doing so due to lack of regulation(it's illegal to do this with stocks). That, and pretending cryptocurrency is a viable solution to government currency while being so laughably unstable in value, not to mention the only people that actually own it are the people that mine it, this just replaces one centralized power(government) with another(wealthy corporations/people that can afford huge mining farms).

depends where you live. my cousin is only 23 and he makes over 70k a year as an electrician. but mostly yes, I agree with you. it is location dependent though.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
nope, I am saying major in something in demand that pays well, and you can do as you please in life.
Why do you give someone this kind of advice, do you want him to be poor for the rest of his life?
Get a mortgage, use whatever means to buy what is in demand, sell at 300% price to desperate people. Rinse and repeat. That's how you get out of the middle class, not by becoming another corporate slave with below zero net worth thanks to student loans.
I'm not kidding. I went the university route, became a reasonably competent ASIC designer and watched in envy as my middle school educated neighbor was buying colorful stones for the price of dirt, framed them for a few pennies and sold them to new age fanatics at 999 euro/piece, with the biggest ones going for ten times the price. If money is what you want, education is not the answer.
Just because TSMC can gouge the market doesn't make it alright for them to do so...
It might seem "not right" to most people, but that's slave morality. If a corporation could sell you the right to use your own lungs, they absolutely would, I can tell you that much.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Why do you give someone this kind of advice, do you want him to be poor for the rest of his life?
Get a mortgage, use whatever means to buy what is in demand, sell at 300% price to desperate people. Rinse and repeat. That's how you get out of the middle class, not by becoming another corporate slave with below zero net worth thanks to student loans.

if you say so bud. that's bad advice imo. housing market is in a huge bubble right now again. its unobtainable for most, and it will crash again in due time just like in 2008. so now is actually a terrible time to buy a house, with the skyrocketing inflation, etc.

don't apply to any financial advisor jobs, I assure you they won't hire you. ;p

just because a few get lucky on the idiocy of others, is no reason to bet your life on it. nothing wrong with staying the tried and true method of in-demand careers and not playing any gambling games like you are suggesting. my method is not a gamble, it is a promised great paying job that can change ones life for the better. many have gone the path you suggest with your friend and the rocks, in various forms, and have gotten burned and go bust. just because that one person you know did well, does not mean they all will. best stick what is solid ground.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
if you say so bud. that's bad advice imo. housing market is in a huge bubble right now again. its unobtainable for most, and it will crash again in due time just like in 2008. so now is actually a terrible time to buy a house, with the skyrocketing inflation, etc.

don't apply to any financial advisor jobs, I assure you they won't hire you. ;p

just because a few get lucky on the idiocy of others, is no reason to bet your life on it. nothing wrong with staying the tried and true method of in-demand careers and not playing any gambling games like you are suggesting. my method is not a gamble, it is a promised great paying job that can change ones life for the better. many have gone the path you suggest with your friend and the rocks, in various forms, and have gotten burned and go bust. just because that one person you know did well, does not mean they all will. best stick what is solid ground.
The thing is, I made a good amount of money on the financial crisis around '08, enough to buy a house below market value - it's previous owner jumped from a bridge because of the same crisis (and I'm not joking, human misery is the best source for cheap things). I would also never advise people on how to earn money, because it's a closed system - the more people lose, the more I can earn.
I know a lot of very well educated people with steady jobs, that's the environment I grew up in. Most of them are miserable and swimming in debt. Vast majority of people I ever met who achieved financial success got to that point by taking huge risks and being cunning - or having rich parents. Some died in the process, some ended up under the bridge, that's true. But you know what they say, big rewards require big risks. If stable mediocrity is the goal than you are absolutely right, sticking to the solid ground is the way to go.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Facts -
Keep in mind Mean wage means there are many who make more - and many who make less.

Also these are 2020 numbers. I have to think these are a solid +10% now.

Honestly for someone willing to sweat and do physical labor, this is better than being a software engineer. And school will likely cost you more like 15K, not 50k-100K, plus you start making $ two or more years earlier.

I'm a lead software engineer so I know quite a bit about income in that field. Avg first year salary for a BSCS is ~61K right now, that electrician will be a journeyman making 50-60K base + 10K avg overtime by then. Software engineers are mostly salary unless contract - so no OT pay, but you work the hours. Many software engineers never get past Engineer 2, where they make around 80K. A master electrician can easily break 100K with their overtime - and break it by a lot if they are say in the top 25% of master electricians. A top field Lead software engineer averages about 120K. These #'s are not really that far apart when you factor in high tax bracket such an income brings.

Location matters for all jobs including software engineers and electricians, if you're in San Fran CA you'll make 50% more but your cost of living factor is 100% higher than average so you'll still be poorer.

1630027804420.png

1630027098240.png

1630027558268.png

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Facts -
Keep in mind Mean wage means there are many who make more - and many who make less.

Also these are 2020 numbers. I have to think these are a solid +10% now.

Honestly for someone willing to sweat and do physical labor, this is better than being a software engineer. And school will likely cost you more like 15K, not 50k-100K, plus you start making $ two or more years earlier.

I'm a lead software engineer so I know quite a bit about income in that field. Avg first year salary for a BSCS is ~61K right now, that electrician will be a journeyman making 50-60K base + 10K avg overtime by then. Software engineers are mostly salary unless contract - so no OT pay, but you work the hours. Many software engineers never get past Engineer 2, where they make around 80K. A master electrician can easily break 100K with their overtime - and break it by a lot if they are say in the top 25% of master electricians. A top field Lead software engineer averages about 120K. These #'s are not really that far apart when you factor in high tax bracket such an income brings.

Location matters for all jobs including software engineers and electricians, if you're in San Fran CA you'll make 50% more but your cost of living factor is 100% higher than average so you'll still be poorer.

View attachment 214346

View attachment 214341

View attachment 214343

well my cousin went to community college and it only cost him 4k to become an electrician, or something around that. your 15k is prob true for other regions of the country though.

D

Deleted member 185088

Of course! That is the nature of the free market.

...but that is the big problem of the free market, too. It's why welfare capitalism has pretty much taken the place of pure capitalism by the end of the Industrial Revolution. Companies should have incentive to grow and thrive, but after a certain point they need to be regulated, no?

Just because TSMC can gouge the market doesn't make it alright for them to do so...
Agreed, capitalism just like communism are utopias, while we should allow private ownership and competition governments should protect consumers.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
So glad I have enough current gen gadgets that I can go on for 5 years without needing to buy anything new. After the economy is reset maybe I'll upgrade...

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
TSMC is already making record profits with the current pricing of their nodes. They are not hurting whatsoever.

Raising the prices of their nodes by up to 20% is just taking advantage of the high demand.
In other words, monopolies are bad.