• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project Taara: Alphabet's Laser-based 20 Gbps Communication System Transmits 700 TB Over 5 Km

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Alphabet has announced that its prototype implementation of a laser-based communications system, Project Taara, successfully managed to transmit over 700 Terabytes of data over a 5 km distance. The system successfully transmitted the information across the Congo river in the African continent, connecting the towns of Brazzaville (Republic of Congo) and Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo). The system aims to deliver fiber-optic-level communications speed in locations where infrastructure investment cost for a fiber optics solution is economically unfeasible. In this case, Project Taara delivered the high-speed connection where 250 miles of fiber network cabling would need to be laid out to achieve the same effect. It should also allow for cheaper infrastructure development in well-developed cities.

The project has taken the Free Space Optical Communications technology developed for Project Loon, one of Alphabet's explorations on delivering high-speed internet connections to rural areas whilst using stratospheric helium balloons. Alphabet said that its Project Taara link was operational for 20 days during the test period, where it achieved a signal availability level of 99.9% - meaning that it was practically uninterrupted. The laser system features self-adjustment capabilities that aim to circumvent weather and wildlife elements, which allow the lasers to not only boost the laser strength if required, but also to adjust the output and input laser dishes by up to +/- 5 degrees. The system's current development stage should allows for "a light beam the width of a chopstick accurately enough to hit a 5-centimeter target that's 10 kilometers away."

The project was first deployed for testing in India, and the team behind it shared the following video which sheds some light on the process.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Hope it won't rain while uploading your homework.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You're being too pessimistic about this. In the final design the ray will pierce through anything and leave a glowing hole behind.

Or if it's foggy. Or if there is a sand/dust in the air. Or if a flock of birds fly through the beam. Or if some dude leans on the mast and break the alignment. Or, or...
but you did read that it was up for two weeks in a row with 99.9% availability in an area which isn't without rain/dust/other issues that were compensated by the solution?

Yes, it's still a far shot from great but definitely a good approach and more feasible than fiber-cables or satellite solutions, especially for areas like the one tested in.

but you did read that it was up for two weeks in a row with 99.9% availability in an area which isn't without rain/dust/other issues that were compensated by the solution?

Yes, it's still a far shot from great but definitely a good approach and more feasible than fiber-cables or satellite solutions, especially for areas like the one tested in.
Yes, yes I did read it. This is basically a desert but with a low humidity, percipitation and dust storms. Besides, two weeks are hardly statistically relevant to draw any general conclusions.
What I wrote for the technology's inherent fundamental limitations is still true.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
You're being too pessimistic about this. In the final design the ray will pierce through anything and leave a glowing hole behind.
First thing I thought of, the scene in Real Genius with the huge hole in the tree.

5G takes too long to cook your brain, this tech can just make a hole through it - progress!
FR2 are proven to be very harmful to many living things, yet nobody seems to care, but say 'layzah' and everone loses their mind.

System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440
That seems extremly unreliable, in any conditions that isn't dry.
Given how well microwave fronthaul works in rain... which is a few magnitude bigger waves than nmWaves of laser
I'm very doubtful of this working outside arid, low percipation areas

Just imagine the free laser light show when a light fog or minor dust storm rolls in as multiple transmitters attempt to boost power to the lasers to power through the haze.

As the word Taara means empty packages in Estonian (liquid mostly but also solid food) i was thinking Alphabet was entering the recycling business. Tho they need this too in Africa. Maybe that project can be named HyperLink or something lol.

Hah! We need this right now in my neighborhood. Its been like 3 days now since the tornado-like storm and we still don't have phone, cable, or internet and we probably won't have it for at least a couple more days.

Lasers would work when you're in a pinch, but they will never be near as reliable as a flexible wired fiber optic connection that isn't prone to signal degradation from changes in air/particle composition or misalignments. Even if one is able to transfer hellabytes or brontobytes at a time using this, its not much help if its unreliable. heh, I think satellite TV is more reliable than this.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Hah! We need this right now in my neighborhood. Its been like 3 days now since the tornado-like storm and we still don't have phone, cable, or internet and we probably won't have it for at least a couple more days.

Lasers would work when you're in a pinch, but they will never be near as reliable as a flexible wired fiber optic connection that isn't prone to signal degradation from changes in air/particle composition or misalignments. Even if one is able to transfer hellabytes or brontobytes at a time using this, its not much help if its unreliable. heh, I think satellite TV is more reliable than this.
maybe talk to your local govt about undergrounding your power and comms cables so when shit hits the fan it just keeps on ticking along tell them that in the long run it will save them money on expensive repair work after every bad storm

maybe talk to your local govt about undergrounding your power and comms cables so when shit hits the fan it just keeps on ticking along tell them that in the long run it will save them money on expensive repair work after every bad storm
Yeah, but the only problem with simply burying it in the ground is how many people are willing to give up a kidney + a testicle for it while taking out a 2nd mortgage on their house to pay for it all? The cost of running lines like that alone are many many times more expensive(as well as the maintenance). It makes more sense in a city, but not out in the country(and it would have to be a rich one with golden cows that you can milk for platinum).
No, the problem isn't with having the lines above ground. The real issue is with dozy tw@ts that want to cut costs any way they can, regardless of how it affects service. Years ago, power outages were rare in my area, and when we did have them, the worst would last about 24 hrs. Some drunk assclown takes out a pole? No problem! 3-4 hours later a new pole is in the ground and everything is fine. Rain, sun, snow, sleet, windy, they were out working on the lines if needed.
Now we have outages much more frequently, and more often than not, it takes days to have power restored(sometimes longer than a week depending on the causes).
These power/cable companies don't want to spend much in the way of maintaining their lines and taking preventative measures. They would rather just wait until shit breaks and wait until the weather is nicer before repairing it. When I repeatedly drive by the same cable line and still see the same heavy tree laying across it for near two years, it really becomes a "WTF moment".

heh, another problem I see with going the way of lasers: drones. Just fly a drone in and let it hover at the right spot and no more laser transmission.

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Brings back memories.
RONJA

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Environmentalists will find something to whinge about.
Will it affect birds eyesight etc.

Processor i7-13900K
Motherboard ROG Maximus Z690
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Environmentalists will find something to whinge about.
Will it affect birds eyesight etc.
It's a little unfortunate we have a label for people who care about the environment as "environmentalists" and too many people use it negatively.

We all live in this world and we should all be Caring for it. We should all be "environmentalists".

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Now we just add these to the sharks heads...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
FR2 are proven to be very harmful to many living things
Ok, I'll bite. What on earth is "FR2?"

If you are talking about 5G, no it ain't. Not outside of social media anyways.

That seems extremly unreliable, in any conditions that isn't dry.
Given how well microwave fronthaul works in rain... which is a few magnitude bigger waves than nmWaves of laser
I'm very doubtful of this working outside arid, low percipation areas
Basically, lasers of this strength won't have an issue with humidity guys.

System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440

Basically, lasers of this strength won't have an issue with humidity guys.
percipation =/= humidity
You do know that microwave fronthaul can and is used to "see" percipation and rain-clouds?
It's rain, snow and dust. How will it work, when it's placed across a fjord, or mountain range where rain clouds go inbetween the sender/recievers?
Do you know the effect rain have on 10GHz microwave connectivity and modulation? It massivly decreases it's reliability. This will be in the 3 × 10^13 Hz (Infrared) - 3 × 10^15 Hz (Ultraviolet)

and in that case of boosting strength, how high signal strength/output? why not just boost the already existing microwave backhaul to those output levels, if you're gonna boost it?
How will it work in heavy wind? It says auto-correcting, but how quick is the auto-correct? In general, I'm also highly sceptical to self-correcting feature, how reliable will that be in a big rollout?

Apologies for the delay! I needed to check if some of my older sources were not scientifically disproved.

FR2 stands for 'Frequency Range 2'. Basically, RF waves with wavelenght in the mm range (and even smaller). It is also a part of 5G frequency spectrum. It's being widely deployed across the globe, sans Europe where many countries are putting memorandums in force.

While this mm waves are not ionizing, they have many, scientifically-proven adverse effects on many living things. In summary, they are harmful to human eyes and skin upon prolonged exposures.
The other huge concern is the harmful effect on many insects, bees incl. Given how fragile our ecosystem is, this a major red flag.

Not quite like Facebook posts, but have at it:

There are many others like these. I was able to track the scientific validity only of these. Even some simple googling will reveal true horrors. Huge lobbying prevents any significant hindrance from happening to the roll out of mmWave technologies.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
In summary, they are harmful to human eyes and skin upon prolonged exposures.
So are all microwaves. If you let yourself get cooked by your cellphone you may be in danger. You can literally feel the heat, like a microwave. Don't let that happen.

The real concern I have with the latest mm waves is the way they interfere with huricane forcasting, which is real.

So are all microwaves. If you let yourself get cooked by your cellphone you may be in danger. You can literally feel the heat, like a microwave. Don't let that happen.

The real concern I have with the latest mm waves is the way they interfere with huricane forcasting, which is real.
I'm not quite sure if your first paragraph was sarcasm or not. Maybe you are missing the fact that (mobile) communications are bi-directional, i.e. all base stations (gNodeB in the case of 5G) are constantly transmitting in downlink. Even with MU-MIMO and active beamforming/beam steering, the beams are not so narrow, so even if the guy next to you is using mmWave 5G you are being cooked too.

Saying hurricane forecasting interfering is real implies that the other issues I raised are not. Only that they are. That is why they are scientifically published; everyone is free to disprove them, if they can.