• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI RX 5700 Mech GP OC to 5700 XT

nhelder

Hi, all~

I got a bricked MSI Mech GP OC from a friend that was initially showing "No VBIOS" from amdvbflash -ai.

After a fair amount of learning and testing (first time GPU flasher), I was able to restore it to the stock bios provided by TechPowerUp.

Now I'm looking in to flashing it to an XT. TechPowerUp doesn't have a MSI Mech GP OC XT, but there is a MSI Mech OC XT, so I thought I would try the provided bios for that one.

However, after amdvbflash -unlockrom 0, various versions of amdvbflash -p 0 (forced or otherwise) weren't able to program that Mech OC XT rom... they failed with the usual "Cannot Program with inbot vbios image file - ERROR: 0FL01".

I've spent some time searching around the forums, and there are others that have dealt with things close to this issue, but not quite the same... so I thought I'd kick off a new thread in hope for a little help/feedback on the above.

Thanks in advance!

- Nathan

GPU-Z:

MSI.5700.Mech.GP.OC.png

Details form the card:

1632150822683.png

Note: this card does not have a bios switch.

Attachments

• 1632150474401.png
    1632150474401.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 153
System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello

I would like to help you with a link to a post made especially for this procedure:
Cheers

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hello

I would like to help you with a link to a post made especially for this procedure:
Cheers
Ive helped users flash 5700s to XTs.

In truth users are not gaining much at all. Just go to Igorslab and learn how to overclock them.

Hi, all~

I got a bricked MSI Mech GP OC from a friend that was initially showing "No VBIOS" from amdvbflash -ai.

After a fair amount of learning and testing (first time GPU flasher), I was able to restore it to the stock bios provided by TechPowerUp.

Now I'm looking in to flashing it to an XT. TechPowerUp doesn't have a MSI Mech GP OC XT, but there is a MSI Mech OC XT, so I thought I would try the provided bios for that one.

However, after amdvbflash -unlockrom 0, various versions of amdvbflash -p 0 (forced or otherwise) weren't able to program that Mech OC XT rom... they failed with the usual "Cannot Program with inbot vbios image file - ERROR: 0FL01".

I've spent some time searching around the forums, and there are others that have dealt with things close to this issue, but not quite the same... so I thought I'd kick off a new thread in hope for a little help/feedback on the above.

Thanks in advance!

- Nathan

GPU-Z:

View attachment 217570

Details form the card:

View attachment 217573

Note: this card does not have a bios switch.
I would get a spi flasher and learn how to use it correctly

This here is the Stock bios

This bios is newer and may have bug fixes.

JUST ENSURE IT HAS SAMSUNG MEMORY IN THE DETAILS OF EACH FILE AND NOTHING ABOUT MINING!!!

These are the closest bios you can get which are 5700XTs.

Follow these directions.
I would suggest removing the gpu driver before flashing or reinstalling it so the proper registry entries are made after the flash.

Get the tool

www.techpowerup.com

AMD VBFlash / ATI ATIFlash (3.20) Download

AMD AMDVBFlash is used to flash the graphics card BIOS. The version released by ATI was called ATIFlash or just WinFlash. It supports all AMD Radeo

www.techpowerup.com
www.techpowerup.com

Since the Subsystem ID will be changing slightly you will need to do a force flash in an administrator privileged command prompt. (Find cmd in start menu right click and open as administrator)

If that is not performed you may receive the stupid 0FL error.

Then follow this command

Enter this command first

Amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0

Then enter this command

amdvbflash -f -p 0 XXXX .rom

Note: XXXX is the name of the VBIOS file you downloaded. You can also change the downloaded file name to a simple name.

Otherwise you do it this way:

Create a new text file in your ATIFlash directory, name it FLASH.bat, and place this code into it:

@Echo off
cls

echo Flashing card 0 with BIOS.rom...
echo.
amdvbflash -p 0 -f BIOS.rom
echo.

pause
Assuming the new BIOS you want to flash onto your card is named BIOS.rom, this is the BIOS it will use for flashing.

Save your changes, then run the batch file by double-clicking on it.

Once you've received a success message, reboot your computer for the new BIOS to come into effect. If you can boot into Windows successfully, then that's good! (Note: your screen may flicker for a bit, because you basically have a new card, and Windows is trying to recognize it. If you want to be thorough, go ahead and do a clean re-install of your graphics drivers.)

If you read these 2 threads the bios flash is successful

Last edited:

nhelder

Thanks for the feedback, all.

In truth users are not gaining much at all. Just go to Igorslab and learn how to overclock them.

I had stumbled across the Igorslab approach previously and thought it look interesting, but didn't have the time to really dive in to it.

I've since gone down that route, with assistance from this YouTube video, and believe I'm where I want to be at this point - thanks again for the help!

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
just ignore all that and use morepowertool.

Also that card can't handle XT loads, unless you put the fans in jet mode, so be a little conservative with the speeds.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thanks for the feedback, all.

I had stumbled across the Igorslab approach previously and thought it look interesting, but didn't have the time to really dive in to it.

I've since gone down that route, with assistance from this YouTube video, and believe I'm where I want to be at this point - thanks again for the help!

Bear in mind AMD as of RX Vega Series and also nvidia as of gtx 1000 series require bios signatures, so if the bios are modded and the signature is broken it may brick the card. It is why I suggested all of the options I provided.

nhelder

just ignore all that and use morepowertool.

That's basically what the video I shared had me do. For posterity (and those that prefer text to videos, like me), at a high level you:
  1. GPU-Z: export the card's stock BIOS
  2. MorePowerTools: load the stock BIOS, modify max GPU clock, max memory clock, and max power limit as desired, save mpt file
  3. Red BIOS Editor: load the stock BIOS, apply (load) the mpt file, save as modified BIOS
  4. Flash Tool 2.93: load modified BIOS on to card
Tools for steps 2, 3, and 4 are available at Igorslab (bottom of the page).

As eidairaman1 mentioned, the reason you're using a custom flash tool in step 4 is because your modified BIOS has no signature and is fundamentally untrusted, meaning the standard flash tools will refuse to load it. Loading of unsigned/modified BIOS files could brick your card. Also, if you specified values in step 2 that are way out of line there is a risk of system instability and/or bricking your card once you begin using it, too.

So, caveat emptor if you use this approach.

- Nathan

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
with morepowertool you don't need to flash the BIOS, that's the all point of it.

nhelder

with morepowertool you don't need to flash the BIOS, that's the all point of it.

So... from this I'm guessing that your recommendation is to export the BIOS, load it in MorePowerTool, make your modifications, and then use the "Write SPPT" function?

If that's the case, this part from the intro section over at Igorslab seems applicable:

Since AMD has massively restricted the use of the SoftPowerPlayTables and thus indirectly also the MorePowerTool with the Adrenaline drivers from 2020, the community mourns the former overclocking or underclocking bonus, which made the Navi cards like a Radeon RX 5700 (XT) at least a bit more interesting or efficient and was gladly taken along as a free bonus.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it seems the whole reason the Igorslab team created the Red BOIS Editor was to overcome the limitations of the SPPT approach.

Or, maybe you're recommending using pre-2020 AMD drivers to go along with the SPPT approach?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
So... from this I'm guessing that your recommendation is to export the BIOS, load it in MorePowerTool, make your modifications, and then use the "Write SPPT" function?

If that's the case, this part from the intro section over at Igorslab seems applicable:

Since AMD has massively restricted the use of the SoftPowerPlayTables and thus indirectly also the MorePowerTool with the Adrenaline drivers from 2020, the community mourns the former overclocking or underclocking bonus, which made the Navi cards like a Radeon RX 5700 (XT) at least a bit more interesting or efficient and was gladly taken along as a free bonus.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it seems the whole reason the Igorslab team created the Red BOIS Editor was to overcome the limitations of the SPPT approach.

Or, maybe you're recommending using pre-2020 AMD drivers to go along with the SPPT approach?

i no longer have my card since last March i believe, but until then i used Morepowertool with no problems and the last amd drivers. All tested by me, easily unlocked the full clock speed.

System Name HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage Acer Predator GM7000 4TB / WD Blue SN570 1TB / TOSHIBA HDWD130 3TB
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
i no longer have my card since last March i believe, but until then i used Morepowertool with no problems and the last amd drivers. All tested by me, easily unlocked the full clock speed.
it doesnt work anymore

Since AMD has massively restricted the use of the SoftPowerPlayTables and thus indirectly also the MorePowerTool with the Adrenaline drivers from 2020

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Another win for AMD, a shitty move as the cards were completely artificially blocked

System Name HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage Acer Predator GM7000 4TB / WD Blue SN570 1TB / TOSHIBA HDWD130 3TB
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
U gain much more undervolting than just plain OC... Thats a fact (with most newer cards AFAIK)

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
U gain much more undervolting than just plain OC... Thats a fact (with most newer cards AFAIK)

this was not OC, the cards could do clock speeds equal to the XT but were simply blocked to an artificial limit and it was an enormous difference to the point you could barely distinguish the 2 cards, the difference would be a couple shaved cores.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
this was not OC, the cards could do clock speeds equal to the XT but were simply blocked to an artificial limit and it was an enormous difference to the point you could barely distinguish the 2 cards, the difference would be a couple shaved cores.
Yeah its binning nvidia does the same thing.