• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old intel Core i7 dead/shorted ?

9C08199E-FC0A-4392-8589-48608B494B34.jpeg

so I’ve had this cpu laying in a box for about a year now because I think I shorted it during a motherboard diagnostic, I have already replaced it with a similar 4800mq and I am posting this to see if anyone knows how to go about diagnosing a cpu , I am not sure if it’s dead or not, and need more information on how to properly check it ...

I have checked the capacitors around the die and they’re all reading a dead short , (0 Homs) , I don’t want to risk putting it in a working device because I am not sure how safe is that (don’t wanna kill another motherboard lol) ....

So isit possible that the cpu is fine and that’s it only one or a few caps that are shorted ? Or isit gone ?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Aren't caps SUPPOSED to read a dead short? They aren't resistors...

Aren't caps SUPPOSED to read a dead short? They aren't resistors...
No not really, they have an internal resistance that’s very low ...
In a cpu they are not suspended in air or isolated from other components so you’re actually reading an equivalent resistance rather that a per-component resistance.
There are actually pre-determined values that should be seen when measuring on a working cpu , i just can’t find those values for the 4800mq to compare to my readings.

I am using the “continuity mode “/“diode mode” not the “resistance mode “ as that’s the way to go about finding short circuits ....
It’s probably dead , I just wanted to see if there’s something to learn here ,

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
No not really, they have an internal resistance that’s very low ...
In a cpu they are not suspended in air or isolated from other components so you’re actually reading an equivalent resistance rather that a per-component resistance.
There are actually pre-determined values that should be seen when measuring on a working cpu , i just can’t find those values for the 4800mq to compare to my readings.

I am using the “continuity mode “/“diode mode” not the “resistance mode “ as that’s the way to go about finding short circuits ....
It’s probably dead , I just wanted to see if there’s something to learn here ,
Thanks. If nothing else I just learned something new.

To confirm you have a dead CPU you need to power it up with a external bench power supply with less than 1v & not too much current. ..If the CPU core heats up & gets too hot to quickly core is dead. If it''s a single capacitor you be able to detect this with your finger ie it will be very hot. Capacitors do go faulty but it's somewhat rare on a CPU but most users including repair technician see a short & assume it's faulty without checking on-board capacitors. Let's face it, if I see a short on CPU, I don't bother to check the capacitors, I just assume the core is dead.

To confirm you have a dead CPU you need to power it up with a external bench power supply with less than 1v & not too much current. ..If the CPU core heats up & gets too hot to quickly core is dead. If it''s a single capacitor you be able to detect this with your finger ie it will be very hot. Capacitors do go faulty but it's somewhat rare on a CPU but most users including repair technician see a short & assume it's faulty without checking on-board capacitors. Let's face it, if I see a short on CPU, I don't bother to check the capacitors, I just assume the core is dead.
Yeah , I agree it’s not something worth spending time one , especially if you’re doing this for a living....
It was a question purely out of curiosity I have no intention to “fix “ this cpu .
If it was a bga one I wouldn’t even bother tbh, but since it is socketed that allows more room for play

so is there a specific pin I need to feed the voltage through? I know I can do this on a motherboard where I inject 1v and watch the current, but since this cpu is not installed in a board how would I go about voltage injection in this case ?!

Yeah , I agree it’s not something worth spending time one , especially if you’re doing this for a living....
It was a question purely out of curiosity I have no intention to “fix “ this cpu .
If it was a bga one I wouldn’t even bother tbh, but since it is socketed that allows more room for play

so is there a specific pin I need to feed the voltage through? I know I can do this on a motherboard where I inject 1v and watch the current, but since this cpu is not installed in a board how would I go about voltage injection in this case ?!

I would inject 0.6 to 0.8v if I was going to check if CPU is dead. The assumption CPU is dead is wrong. I can bet out of 100 CPU's, I can bet at lease 1% have faulty capacitors but no one is really bothering to check (including myself).

EDIT: You can inject the voltage at the inductor. This is where a dead motherboard comes handy.

Last edited:
I would inject 0.6 to 0.8v if I was going to check if CPU is dead. The assumption CPU is dead is wrong. I can bet out of 100 CPU's, I can bet at lease 1% have faulty capacitors but no one is really bothering to check (including myself).

EDIT: You can inject the voltage at the inductor. This is where a dead motherboard comes handy.
I think I can my hands on a dead mobo that supports this cpu , I’ll update if I find anything , thanks for sharing the infos

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
View attachment 218160
so I’ve had this cpu laying in a box for about a year now because I think I shorted it during a motherboard diagnostic, I have already replaced it with a similar 4800mq and I am posting this to see if anyone knows how to go about diagnosing a cpu , I am not sure if it’s dead or not, and need more information on how to properly check it ...

I have checked the capacitors around the die and they’re all reading a dead short , (0 Homs) , I don’t want to risk putting it in a working device because I am not sure how safe is that (don’t wanna kill another motherboard lol) ....

So isit possible that the cpu is fine and that’s it only one or a few caps that are shorted ? Or isit gone ?
Try in another known working motherboard

Try in another known working motherboard

Not a good idea, it may take out MOSFETS. OP already said he checked the capacitors on the CPU & it's measuring dead short, so i'm guessing he already knows what he's doing.