• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i9-12900K Single-Thread Performance Allegedly 27% Faster Than Ryzen 9 5950X

Marshal_90

It's good news for the gamers, but I still think next-gen Ryzen will beat this thing in all three important aspects - single threaded, multi threaded and power consumption.

But I'm not gonna lie I kindda like this BIG.little architecture thing. They can create much stronger cores for single threaded apps.
That explains why those 8 cores' TDP is 228W!

Last edited:
I think it'll beat it in 2 out 3 I don't know if it will in 3 out 3 tough to say Intel is good at single thread performance so I'm not certain if they'll be able to overcome that or not. It's within the realm of possibilities especially in some limited well binned chips just to claim the crown essentially. Either way I wouldn't be too concerned about it I think overall it will be generally stronger if you're willing to wait it out. I really feel like the Threadripper Workstation is going to crush it out of the park on the other hand. I want to know how much the 12c version of the Workstation rather than the HEDT is going to run for the CPU and motherboard and what clock rates on it will be. If AMD actually decided to bin those with the better chips they could be gaming beasts with the octa channel memory and all those PCIE lanes to tap into on the storage side. AMD should do a 12c APU on it down the road and make use of that memory it would be sick circle back and make it happen.

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's good news for the gamers, but I still think next-gen Ryzen will beat this thing in all three important aspects - single threaded, multi threaded and power consumption.

But I'm not gonna lie I kindda like this BIG.little architecture thing. They can create much stronger cores for single threaded apps.
That explains why those 8 cores' TDP is 228W!

Next gen, as in AM5 + DDR5 + 5nm CPUs or just the 6nm refresh with 3D cache? Because I highly doubt that 3D cache is going to do much overall. All the chips won't get it anyway.

Personally I won't be touching anything till DDR5 has matured in 1-2 years. Clockspeed is mediocre and timings are horrible on 1st gen DDR5 modules. So while I look forward to see Alder Lake reviews, not for me. 1st gen of hybrid CPUs and Windows 11 on launch? Nah I will pass. They can fix all the bugs first.

Last edited:
System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Personally I won't be touching anything till DDR5 has matured in 1-2 years. Clockspeed is mediocre and timings are horrible on 1st gen DDR5 modules. So while I look forward to see Alder Lake reviews, not for me. 1st gen of hybrid CPUs and Windows 11 on launch? Nah I will pass. They can fix all the bugs first.
This is where I am now I don't touch first gen stuff and very happy with my system currently. If I do decide to jump it won't be until Zen 4's refresh and at that time DDR5 will be mature.

Reactions: las
DDR5 doubles the bank groups over DDR4 in additional to the pretty substantial frequency bump it might not be too bad, but it'll certainly mature in time, but what doesn't in tech.

Marshal_90

Next gen, as in AM5 + DDR5 + 5nm CPUs or just the 6nm refresh with 3D cache? Because I highly doubt that 3D cache is going to do much overall. All the chips won't get it anyway.

No I mean AM5 (ZEN4). New cache will improve performance a little bit, but can't help beating these scores. I'm expecting something around 700-720 in CPUZ single thread test.

Exactly. Just like Windows 10 and Zen 1. Intel is still increasing frequency with a little bit improved CPU architecture. I'm more interested in IPC tests.

This! While ddr5 matures i'll be enjoying reviews and taking the time to decide my next step

I knew that Intel would eventually be able to beat the pants off AMD again. The difference of course, between then and now, is that AMD can fight back, so we may well see a leapfrogging of performance wins between the two companies for each generation. This is the best outcome for the customer, since it leads to better products at lower prices. In particular, it should help slow or stop the price escalator that they seem to be climbing every generation. Remember back in the old days when the new thing used to be better than the old thing and yet cost less? Yes, it's been so long now, that some people weren't even born then, but some of us remember...
There was never any doubt about that. Their designs have been finished well in advance for years now, the problem has always been the node (and the only reason AMD has finally managed to catch up in single thread), but for the future, I don't see all that much leapfrogging to be honest. It'll take team red (going by all the info out so far) over a year just to catch up again (with Zen4), by which time Meteor Lake will also be ready to launch, so...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
There was never any doubt about that. Their designs have been finished well in advance for years now, the problem has always been the node (and the only reason AMD has finally managed to catch up in single thread), but for the future, I don't see all that much leapfrogging to be honest. It'll take team red (going by all the info out so far) over a year just to catch up again (with Zen4), by which time Meteor Lake will also be ready to launch, so...
I dunno, you may be right. I don't have enough information to speculate on whether AMD will really be able to counter them, but on recent performance over the last few years, it would suggest that they can imo.

I don't know if AMD can counter them completely, but I feel like they could on 2 out of 3 metrics between efficiency, single threaded, and multi-threaded. The one that worries me the most for AMD is the single threaded. Even if AMD doesn't match Intel single threaded performance this round they can still get close enough I'd hope. AMD is also exploring big LITTLE approach so in the long term if it proves worthwhile for them they can defiantly switch. I think the ring bus aspect is one reason where it can make sense among other things.

Even things like Speed Shift and Precision Boost have limitations which is a area where big LITTLE design I feel has strengths you can still use that tech and it's strengths, but if you cut the frequency in half you can suddenly do it with more granularity across each big LITTLE chip at the same Speed Shift and Precision Boost frequency transition latency intervals improving efficiency and performance. To me that seems like a good tradeoff. That might even help to explain how Intel has managed to increase clock rate further and IPC further as much as it has if these alder lake rumors hold true. I feel like there is going to be quite a few people that didn't like the design idea that like the end outcome more than they were thinking it would turn out.

The big test going forward for AMD and Intel is continuing to push bar higher across the spectrum of single threaded, multi threaded, and efficiency. Getting too complacent with one aspect is where one or the other can falter over the other.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
8 "new" Intel cores is faster than 16 of AMD's Zen 3 cores? I can't help but feel there are some kind of shenanigans going in with these "leaks".

I look forward to some unbiased reviews which aren't using chillers under the desk...

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Last edited:
System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
I knew that Intel would eventually be able to beat the pants off AMD again. The difference of course, between then and now, is that AMD can fight back, so we may well see a leapfrogging of performance wins between the two companies for each generation. This is the best outcome for the customer, since it leads to better products at lower prices. In particular, it should help slow or stop the price escalator that they seem to be climbing every generation. Remember back in the old days when the new thing used to be better than the old thing and yet cost less? Yes, it's been so long now, that some people weren't even born then, but some of us remember...
You are not alone! I remember! :(

I'm more curious about i5-12400 cpus, with cheaper chipset/motherboard and with more affordable DDR4 memory slots. How will those compare to Zen2-3s and to 10-11th Gen i5s..
Exactly, the vast majority of people are eyeing that one-

It'll take team red (going by all the info out so far) over a year just to catch up again (with Zen4)
Zen 2 surpassed intel in multithreaded a long time ago, Zen 3 surpassed intel on both fronts a year ago. That's not catching up.
And my guess is alderlake will be a bit better at singlethreaded and maybe catches up at multithreaded. Zen 4 will again surpass intel, and meteor lake, that i do not know.

the only reason AMD has finally managed to catch up in single thread
Whatever the reason is, is like me saying that intel has to be the performance leader 100% of the time because they have a much higher budget. The fact that amd can compete is a miracle.

A miracle indeed, enabled by TSMC who in turn came to where there are today due to anything but making x86 chips. If AMD had nothing better than GLOFO, they wouldn't compete at all.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
If AMD had nothing better than GLOFO, they wouldn't compete at all.
Yes, IF.
On topic, i wish that the 12400 comes at $185 (one can dream)

NIE

A miracle indeed, enabled by TSMC who in turn came to where there are today due to anything but making x86 chips. If AMD had nothing better than GLOFO, they wouldn't compete at all.
TSMC got a lot of hot money from apple and Android. They use those money to do QC on 7mm Intel can't afford to. It's like AMD chip is good not because of AMD but TSMC. TSMC 7mm is good not because of TSMC but Apple's hot money.

what a dumb response, You just had to answer the question or ignore if you do not know the answer. so it is running DDR5
I saw u first on argument on zen 4 release date and change ur topic later and start to forcus on DDR5. now u pretend like u never mentioned Zen 4? What a bich move.

You could, just like Intel's own internal nodes held it back for some years. I really wonder if the rumors regarding them using TSMC's upcoming 3nm node for some of its chips will turn out to be true... I believe the results can be...interesting to say the least :cool:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
...I really wonder if the rumors regarding them using TSMC's upcoming 3nm node for some of its chips will turn out to be true... I believe the results can be...interesting to say the least :cool:
TSMC are basically Apples sandbox, and all the rest get the leftovers, such as the older process nodes. But 5nm could be a realistic goal for AMD products, as Apple leaving that next year would free up some capacity.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken 3 140mm
Memory Patriot Viper 4 - DDR4 3400 MHz 2x8 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon RX460 2 GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500, Samsung 860 500 GB, 2x Western Digital RED 4 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 + Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12 + 2x ARCTIC P14
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR,
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Lenovo USB
Yes, IF.
On topic, i wish that the 12400 comes at $185 (one can dream)
And lets hope that cheaper processors also get the efficient cores too, without asking extra for them too.

To be fair Global Foundries held AMD back you could argue.
To be fair Global Foundries was AMD, before they divided themsleves to R&D and production/manufacturer companies, so in a way they hold themselves back, because they couldn't make the chips/products they envisioned.

I am aware Global Foundries was originally part of AMD. What I was saying is Intel's fabs tended to be stronger at least until they weren't and AMD leveraged both Global Foundries and TSMC against them. The timing of it all was somewhat surreal almost like karma really. The moar cores curse by AMD has come to haunt Intel.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken 3 140mm
Memory Patriot Viper 4 - DDR4 3400 MHz 2x8 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon RX460 2 GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500, Samsung 860 500 GB, 2x Western Digital RED 4 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 + Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12 + 2x ARCTIC P14
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR,
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Lenovo USB
I am aware Global Foundries was originally part of AMD. What I was saying is Intel's fabs tended to be stronger at least until they weren't and AMD leveraged both Global Foundries and TSMC against them. The timing of it all was somewhat surreal almost like karma really. The moar cores curse by AMD has come to haunt Intel.
True, since how well made was their Sandy Bridge Core CPUs, and after that year after year they saw how AMD couldn't really compete, they started to slow down until Zen, or at least they didn't improve their fabs as fast as TSMC.

But i'm curious what Intel can do with a new-ish architecture which is made on the same or equivalent process as TSMC's 7nm.

This current Intel 5GHz+ vs AMD 4.5 GHz somewhat reminds me of Athlon 64 2 GHz vs P4 3 GHz battle.

TSMC outpaced the industry over the last decade in hindsight Intel might've more aggressively invested into it's fabs, but you can't really fault Intel for TSMC's achievements at the same time. Intel's 10nm is the closest thing to AMD's Bulldozer moment, but one was for fabrication other architectural design. Both companies have stumbled though innovation comes with challenges.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any more arguing needs to be taken to PMs.
Stop the insults, thread crapping, trolling, and drama.
Stay on topic.
You know who you are, so, stop it.

Thank You and Have a Good Day, Everyone.