• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my gpu is power limited in gpu-z with perfcap (PWR ) below 90% pf tdp

Chaotic

first my pc specs
cpu intel I9-7920x
motherboard : asus prime deluxe x299
ram 32 gb trident Z
gpu : Palit game rock 3080ti
powe supply :evga nova 1000 gold+

so my gpu alot of the time is sitting below 50 % usage in 1440p and in 1080 p with some times around 150 fps which is nothing for this card
tried to find a bench mark to make my gpu hit 100% or 99 % usage .
used superpostion bench mark as it always me to compare my results .. i couldn't get the card to go above 50 % usage in 1080p with a score that lets between 1080ti score in the score board
in 4k i got 100% usage however my card clocks sinks really badly with thermal head room however the voltage won't got over 0.8-0.9 mv with clocks in the 1800 or 1700

what i tried already
ddu and reinstalling every thing ( nothing)

reseating card and power cables nothing

changing the positions if the pcie cables in the power supply .

trying the 2nd bios on the card ( nothing
at this point iam out of ideas

note i got power targer to 110 % which should mean 440 watt as the base is 400 yet the card never even crossed 380 with a mean of 365w
here is a link to my vbois
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/237740/237740
attacked the guz-z sensor logs and some photos if it might help

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 466
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 498
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1 MB · Views: 495
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    339.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 415
Hi
Is your cpu usage very high ? Does it clock like it should be ?

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
If GPU-clock goes down, the load shoud rise, because the same work needs to be done somehow.
Your very strong GPU in combination with your older/slower CPU will be restricted by the ability of max CPU-FPS in non GPU-bound scenarios.

GPU-Z has a sensor graph wich shows the limiting reason at mouseover.
My guess is: It reaches the VRel-Limit or an other load-dependent voltage-limit. Wich is normal and expected.

i was right.
so you have some No.1, 4, 5, 16
5 is a combination of 1+4
utilization means under-utilization

* Power. Indicating perf is limited by total power limit.
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_POWER = 1,

* Thermal. Indicating perf is limited by temperature limit.
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_THERMAL = 2,

* Reliability. Indicating perf is limited by reliability voltage.
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_RELIABILITY = 4,

* Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage.
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_OPERATING = 8,

* Utilization. Indicating perf is limited by GPU utilization.
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_UTILIZATION = 16,

* SLI GPUBoost Synchronization.
NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_SLI_GPU_BOOST_SYNC = 32,

Last edited:

Chaotic

If GPU-clock goes down, the load shoud rise, because the same work needs to be done somehow.
Your very strong GPU in combination with your older/slower CPU will be restricted by the ability of max CPU-FPS in non GPU-bound scenarios.

My guess is: It reaches the VRel-Limit or an other load-dependent voltage-limit. Wich is normal and expected.
if that happened i would accept it however it hit pwr ( limited by total power limit ) yet its at 92% TDP around 370w and the card goes to 440 w

if u check the heaven benchmark screen shot u will see it

i was right.

so its basically cpu bound atm ?

i was right.

1 thing that doesn't add up is that in all of that my cpu usage is between 8 to 30 % without a single thread going above 60% usage .. i guess i figured the issue now . so someone told me it might be something to do with windows 11 if i remember correctly linus made a video about window 11 forcing apps to use all core . that's what i see all core r used with all of them almost with the same load . so how many core do i need normally so i would turn off other cores and test this out

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
my thought regarding your CPU was only explanatory towards the overall tendency, wich excludes GPU-bound scenarios like UHD/4K or 1440p with very high to extreme graphicssettings, in wich your CPU will not be any hindering.

i did an evaluation with comments on your log-data for better visuality
log_screen_comments.png

Chaotic

my thought regarding your CPU was only explanatory towards the overall tendency, wich excludes GPU-bound scenarios like UHD/4K or 1440p with very high to extreme graphicssettings, in wich your CPU will not be any hindering.

i did an evaluation with comments on your log-data for better visuality
View attachment 218834
well it wasn't cpu either .. i installed a new copy of windows 10 to see if it was windows 11 my results r way better now however iam still hitting perf cap but now mostly 1 here is the new senor log

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    197.6 KB · Views: 136
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
yup, it behaves a bit different now
NO [16] anymore, wich pointed towards GPU-underutilization caused by CPU
Log_2_comments.jpg

so what should i do now ? is that a faulty gpu ?

Everything you've posted so far with these graphs has been useless to us, sorry to be mean.
Please download HWinfo64 and go to sensors only and post a full reading of *ALL* of the GPU power rails. You may need to expand the hwinfo window. You also need to expand the power rails as they are collapsed by default. Also expand the two TDP sensors , normalized and TDP. Post a screenshot of that so we can see the maximum values after you get power limited.

TDP is only one thing that causes PWR limit. There are like 8 other rails that also cause PWR limit and they only report to Normalized %TDP, they don't report to TDP. GPU-Z doesn't show this. (funny enough, TDP% also reports to TDP Normalized as it's treated as its own rail).

Last edited:

Chaotic

Everything you've posted so far with these graphs has been useless to us, sorry to be mean.
Please download HWinfo64 and go to sensors only and post a full reading of *ALL* of the GPU power rails. You may need to expand the hwinfo window. You also need to expand the power rails as they are collapsed by default. Also expand the two TDP sensors , normalized and TDP. Post a screenshot of that so we can see the maximum values after you get power limited.

TDP is only one thing that causes PWR limit. There are like 8 other rails that also cause PWR limit and they only report to Normalized %TDP, they don't report to TDP. GPU-Z doesn't show this. (funny enough, TDP% also reports to TDP Normalized as it's treated as its own rail).
i wish i did it right but here it is ..but i didn't take that as being mean however no one told me what to do so iam flying in blind trying to figure it out to the best of my knowledge

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 281
System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
3080 Tis are weird.
i have the same issue with mine (350W Powerlimit = 338W)
even with a 370W limit it peaks at around 353W.

there are posts on reddit, in forums from Gigabyte and others.
nobody knows why but even in furmark looping for 24 Hours non stop. you'll never reach the Powerlimit in the Bios.
Screenshot_2.png

i wish i did it right but here it is ..but i didn't take that as being mean however no one told me what to do so iam flying in blind trying to figure it out to the best of my knowledge
Excellent.
Looks like the same issue that was affecting the Strix 3080 Ti. Except the Strix has "FBVDD" (memory power) exposed in Hwinfo, while your card doesn't. Might want to send a PM to Martin over on hwinfo forums and see if he can add this, assuming it's not some vbios bug making it not be reported.

On the Strix, it was memory power limit that was causing throttling. Notice your TDP Normalized is higher than your TDP?

Ok this is going to be long so I hope you can understand. It will answer both your questions about "GPU Usage" and about what causes "Power Limit throttling".

===============================

GPU Usage% has nothing to do with a power limit. GPU Usage is simply how much of a GPU is being utilized to push FPS out.
If your GPU is running at a max FPS cap, either set by Vsync (vertical sync), or by in-game FPS limiter, in game hardwired max FPS limit (e.g. Overwatch=400 FPS cap), or by Rivatuner's FPS limiter or "Scanline Sync" (useful when Vsync is off and the game's FPS limit slider causes screen tearing), if you reach that FPS limit steady, your GPU will be below 100% usage because it's reaching that limit and being prevented from going higher.

If you are not using a FPS limiter, your GPU is hitting some bouncing around higher FPS numbers (like let's say, 325 FPS) and is still not at 100% utilization, then in this case it's usually the CPU being unable to feed more frames or data to the GPU (CPU limit). This does NOT mean that the entire CPU is at 100% usage. It can simply mean that an individual thread is at its limit or the data is being saturated. This can be tricky to determine on modern multi-core CPU's because usage on threads often gets spread about and scattered about, rather than hammering an individual thread to 100%. Let's say one engine data thread is at max usage (100%). But it's spread out among four CPU threads to prevent saturation, so each of those threads is at 25% usage. Even worse, which thread is getting that 25% bounces around like a ping pong ball on the International Space Station. You get the point. So CPU or engine limitations can also prevent the GPU from pushing more frames, so GPU Utilization can be below its limit.

A Total Board Power Limit (TDP) makes things tricky because power limit causes the GPU to downclock itself. A downclocked GPU naturally has less available horsepower to push frames, so the lower the clock speed is, if you were NOT at 100% utilization, the closer you will get to 100% utilization. This should be self explanatory. But hitting a power limit by itself has nothing to do with how much a GPU is being utilized. You can hit a power limit even at 60% utilization (This is pretty lame, not gonna lie. If your GPU is hitting a power limit at 60% utilization, it means there's a lot of theoretical headroom left.

This is where it gets confusing. Remember there are MULTIPLE power rails in a GPU that deal with rendering. So for example let's say you were using a 165 FPS cap and 400W TDP and were at 82% utiliazation, reachiing 397W and hitting a power limit, and the board downclocks to 1980 mhz, 0.950v, from 2070 mhz theoretical @ 1.081v (just a few steps, it doesn't hard on throttle). Then you remove the FPS cap, it reaches 202 FPS, downclocks to 1905 mhz, 0.912v (from 2070 theoretical @ 1.081v) and is now at 99% usage and showing 401W this time. 4W for 37 FPS? This is another example of multiple power rails being used here to help render (it isn't all just TDP). Basically, different parts of a GPU can be used in different ways at heavier or lighter loads.

Here's an even more bizarre example.
Path of exile (uncapped). PL=114% (3090 FE=400W).

401W, 1920 mhz, 0.919v, 99% usage, 456 FPS. Settings: Global Illumination/shadows Quality=High. TDP Normalized=74%, TDP @ 99.8%

401W, 1815 mhz, 0.863v, 207 FPS, 99% usage. Settings: Global Illumination/shadows Quality=Ultra. TDP Normalized=86%, TDP=99.8%.

Notice the same power draw, same usage, but core clock has dropped more even though the power draw is the same? (TDP normalized% being higher is a clue--an internal rail is loaded heavier)
That's because GI/Shadows=Ultra loads a different part of the GPU core harder than GI:High so FPS is much lower. In both cases the card is at 99% usage because it's pushing out as many frames as it can at that setting. Just the core itself is under heavier load.

That means that usage has to do with the card pushing out as many FPS as it can until it has no more horsepower available, regardless if it's 200 FPS or 800 FPS.

Now power limits gets tricky.
TDP is what everyone knows about. But total board power (total design power) is simply the sum of the 8 pin connectors + PCIE Slot Power. So for a board with 400W TDP, this might be 165W + 165W +66W=396W at 114% TDP slider (e.g. Founder's Edition 3090, etc). So TDP is simply the total max power from any "combination" of all the 8 pins + PCIE Slot Power added together. It's not a fixed value from the rails themselves, but there is power balancing attempted on design. This is where it gets messy.

TDP% is not the only power limit that causes throttling.
There is also called "TDP Normalized%". And on most 2x8 pin cards, there are actually 8 individual rail power limits
that report to TDP Normalized that can also throttle you long before TDP% reaches its limit! (TDP% also reports to TDP Normalized btw, but this only matters if the rail power limits are set so sky high that they never reach them no matter what--the Kingpin 1000W Bios does this, in that case, TDP Normalized will = TDP %)

These power limits are:
GPU Chip Power
Memory (MVDDC/FBVDD)
8 pin #1 **
8 pin #2 ** (and 8 pin #3 if present)
PCIE Slot Power
Power Plane SRC Power **
NVVDD voltage rail power
MSVDD voltage rail power

SRC is a special case because the individual 8 pins have their own SRC rail,
called SRC1, SRC2 and SRC3 (if present), while the SRC chip itself has its OWN rail.
The SRC1/2/3 rails control the maximum limits of the 8 pin power rails linked to it.
If the 8 pin power rails exceed the linked SRC1/2/3 rails, you throttle.
If the SRC rail exceeds its own power limit, you throttle.
The SRC (Power plane source chip) controls power balancing and monitoring on all the other rails
How this is done, you need to ask Nvidia, and they sure won't tell you. Try to find a schematic.

Anyway...

TDP Normalized is simply the rail which reaches CLOSEST to its own TDP limit, compared to any other rail.
It's not a specific wattage or amps draw. TDP Normalized also does NOT respond to a TDP slider value
below 100% with respect to throttling UNLESS TDP% is the highest of any of the other rails (TDP% acts
as its own rail).

Some examples:
Rail 1 has a 100% (default) limit of 10W and a max limit of 20W
Rail 1 is pulling 9W. TDP of Rail 1 is 90%.

Rail 2 has a 100% (default) limit of 223W and a max limit of 270W
Rail 2 is pulling 112W. TDP of rail 2 is 50%.

Which rail get reported to TDP Normalized %? Rail 1! Because Rail 1 is closest to a "max" limit
So if no other rail (including main TDP) were closer than 90% to max, your TDP Normalized would be 90%.

Exceeding TDP Normalized throttles you the exact same way that TDP does.
The only difference is that the "Sub-rails" will not report a TDP normalized value to enforce throttling
if they are below 100% and your TDP slider is below 100%, while TDP% itself will.

The TDP% slider past 100% will allow the TDP Normalized sub-rails to exceed their internal 100% values up
to either their maximum value (if their value is stated in BIOS) or that percentage you set the TDP% slider to.
This does not apply if the Bios "Default" and "Maximum" Sub-rail values are set to the same value.
You would need a hex editor and disassembly skills in order to determine what these values are.

Some boards have one or more of the sub-rails set far too low. This will cause you to get a power limit throttle
even though your TDP% (total board power) isn't even close to its own limit. Because the sub-rail
has hit its limit first. From what I've seen on some 3080 TI's, this is usually "Memory power" causing it.

Your memory power rail isnt being exposed to NVAPI (at least not on hwinfo) but it is ALWAYS exposed to TDP Normalized.
So from what I saw on the Strix 3080 Ti boards reporting 162W memory power draw (MORE THAN RTX 3090s' !!!!!),
that's what is probably going on :) This could be a flaw in the power balancing hardware,
as 3090's with double the VRAM usually report about 120W on this rail...
Since this seems to be occurring on multiple cards, I doubt a RMA would help you.
You can try flashing the "Galax 1000W" 3080 Ti bios and see if this increases the memory power rail draw (if your card is a 2x8 pin card, your total
max TDP will be 66% of 1000W or 667W, due to the missing 8 pin #3 which will be "duplicated" from 8 pin #1

3080 Tis are weird.

nobody knows why but even in furmark looping for 24 Hours non stop. you'll never reach the Powerlimit in the Bios.
View attachment 218931
Seems like only Strix and a few other cards are reporting memory (MVDDC/FBVDD) power limit to windows. That seems to be what is causing throttle (on the cards that report it on 3080 TI's, this is exceeding 162W. On the 3090 ROG Strix, the ampere BIOS editor (which won't work on any 3080 Ti, any newer builds are private and I don't know how to get it) shows the memory power limit on that card to be exactly 162W, which it never reaches at stock...)

Chaotic

Excellent.
Looks like the same issue that was affecting the Strix 3080 Ti. Except the Strix has "FBVDD" (memory power) exposed in Hwinfo, while your card doesn't. Might want to send a PM to Martin over on hwinfo forums and see if he can add this, assuming it's not some vbios bug making it not be reported.

On the Strix, it was memory power limit that was causing throttling. Notice your TDP Normalized is higher than your TDP?

Ok this is going to be long so I hope you can understand. It will answer both your questions about "GPU Usage" and about what causes "Power Limit throttling".

===============================

GPU Usage% has nothing to do with a power limit. GPU Usage is simply how much of a GPU is being utilized to push FPS out.
If your GPU is running at a max FPS cap, either set by Vsync (vertical sync), or by in-game FPS limiter, in game hardwired max FPS limit (e.g. Overwatch=400 FPS cap), or by Rivatuner's FPS limiter or "Scanline Sync" (useful when Vsync is off and the game's FPS limit slider causes screen tearing), if you reach that FPS limit steady, your GPU will be below 100% usage because it's reaching that limit and being prevented from going higher.

If you are not using a FPS limiter, your GPU is hitting some bouncing around higher FPS numbers (like let's say, 325 FPS) and is still not at 100% utilization, then in this case it's usually the CPU being unable to feed more frames or data to the GPU (CPU limit). This does NOT mean that the entire CPU is at 100% usage. It can simply mean that an individual thread is at its limit or the data is being saturated. This can be tricky to determine on modern multi-core CPU's because usage on threads often gets spread about and scattered about, rather than hammering an individual thread to 100%. Let's say one engine data thread is at max usage (100%). But it's spread out among four CPU threads to prevent saturation, so each of those threads is at 25% usage. Even worse, which thread is getting that 25% bounces around like a ping pong ball on the International Space Station. You get the point. So CPU or engine limitations can also prevent the GPU from pushing more frames, so GPU Utilization can be below its limit.

A Total Board Power Limit (TDP) makes things tricky because power limit causes the GPU to downclock itself. A downclocked GPU naturally has less available horsepower to push frames, so the lower the clock speed is, if you were NOT at 100% utilization, the closer you will get to 100% utilization. This should be self explanatory. But hitting a power limit by itself has nothing to do with how much a GPU is being utilized. You can hit a power limit even at 60% utilization (This is pretty lame, not gonna lie. If your GPU is hitting a power limit at 60% utilization, it means there's a lot of theoretical headroom left.

This is where it gets confusing. Remember there are MULTIPLE power rails in a GPU that deal with rendering. So for example let's say you were using a 165 FPS cap and 400W TDP and were at 82% utiliazation, reachiing 397W and hitting a power limit, and the board downclocks to 1980 mhz, 0.950v, from 2070 mhz theoretical @ 1.081v (just a few steps, it doesn't hard on throttle). Then you remove the FPS cap, it reaches 202 FPS, downclocks to 1905 mhz, 0.912v (from 2070 theoretical @ 1.081v) and is now at 99% usage and showing 401W this time. 4W for 37 FPS? This is another example of multiple power rails being used here to help render (it isn't all just TDP). Basically, different parts of a GPU can be used in different ways at heavier or lighter loads.

Here's an even more bizarre example.
Path of exile (uncapped). PL=114% (3090 FE=400W).

401W, 1920 mhz, 0.919v, 99% usage, 456 FPS. Settings: Global Illumination/shadows Quality=High. TDP Normalized=74%, TDP @ 99.8%

401W, 1815 mhz, 0.863v, 207 FPS, 99% usage. Settings: Global Illumination/shadows Quality=Ultra. TDP Normalized=86%, TDP=99.8%.

Notice the same power draw, same usage, but core clock has dropped more even though the power draw is the same? (TDP normalized% being higher is a clue--an internal rail is loaded heavier)
That's because GI/Shadows=Ultra loads a different part of the GPU core harder than GI:High so FPS is much lower. In both cases the card is at 99% usage because it's pushing out as many frames as it can at that setting. Just the core itself is under heavier load.

That means that usage has to do with the card pushing out as many FPS as it can until it has no more horsepower available, regardless if it's 200 FPS or 800 FPS.

Now power limits gets tricky.
TDP is what everyone knows about. But total board power (total design power) is simply the sum of the 8 pin connectors + PCIE Slot Power. So for a board with 400W TDP, this might be 165W + 165W +66W=396W at 114% TDP slider (e.g. Founder's Edition 3090, etc). So TDP is simply the total max power from any "combination" of all the 8 pins + PCIE Slot Power added together. It's not a fixed value from the rails themselves, but there is power balancing attempted on design. This is where it gets messy.

TDP% is not the only power limit that causes throttling.
There is also called "TDP Normalized%". And on most 2x8 pin cards, there are actually 8 individual rail power limits
that report to TDP Normalized that can also throttle you long before TDP% reaches its limit! (TDP% also reports to TDP Normalized btw, but this only matters if the rail power limits are set so sky high that they never reach them no matter what--the Kingpin 1000W Bios does this, in that case, TDP Normalized will = TDP %)

These power limits are:
GPU Chip Power
Memory (MVDDC/FBVDD)
8 pin #1 **
8 pin #2 ** (and 8 pin #3 if present)
PCIE Slot Power
Power Plane SRC Power **
NVVDD voltage rail power
MSVDD voltage rail power

SRC is a special case because the individual 8 pins have their own SRC rail,
called SRC1, SRC2 and SRC3 (if present), while the SRC chip itself has its OWN rail.
The SRC1/2/3 rails control the maximum limits of the 8 pin power rails linked to it.
If the 8 pin power rails exceed the linked SRC1/2/3 rails, you throttle.
If the SRC rail exceeds its own power limit, you throttle.
The SRC (Power plane source chip) controls power balancing and monitoring on all the other rails
How this is done, you need to ask Nvidia, and they sure won't tell you. Try to find a schematic.

Anyway...

TDP Normalized is simply the rail which reaches CLOSEST to its own TDP limit, compared to any other rail.
It's not a specific wattage or amps draw. TDP Normalized also does NOT respond to a TDP slider value
below 100% with respect to throttling UNLESS TDP% is the highest of any of the other rails (TDP% acts
as its own rail).

Some examples:
Rail 1 has a 100% (default) limit of 10W and a max limit of 20W
Rail 1 is pulling 9W. TDP of Rail 1 is 90%.

Rail 2 has a 100% (default) limit of 223W and a max limit of 270W
Rail 2 is pulling 112W. TDP of rail 2 is 50%.

Which rail get reported to TDP Normalized %? Rail 1! Because Rail 1 is closest to a "max" limit
So if no other rail (including main TDP) were closer than 90% to max, your TDP Normalized would be 90%.

Exceeding TDP Normalized throttles you the exact same way that TDP does.
The only difference is that the "Sub-rails" will not report a TDP normalized value to enforce throttling
if they are below 100% and your TDP slider is below 100%, while TDP% itself will.

The TDP% slider past 100% will allow the TDP Normalized sub-rails to exceed their internal 100% values up
to either their maximum value (if their value is stated in BIOS) or that percentage you set the TDP% slider to.
This does not apply if the Bios "Default" and "Maximum" Sub-rail values are set to the same value.
You would need a hex editor and disassembly skills in order to determine what these values are.

Some boards have one or more of the sub-rails set far too low. This will cause you to get a power limit throttle
even though your TDP% (total board power) isn't even close to its own limit. Because the sub-rail
has hit its limit first. From what I've seen on some 3080 TI's, this is usually "Memory power" causing it.

Your memory power rail isnt being exposed to NVAPI (at least not on hwinfo) but it is ALWAYS exposed to TDP Normalized.
So from what I saw on the Strix 3080 Ti boards reporting 162W memory power draw (MORE THAN RTX 3090s' !!!!!),
that's what is probably going on :) This could be a flaw in the power balancing hardware,
as 3090's with double the VRAM usually report about 120W on this rail...
Since this seems to be occurring on multiple cards, I doubt a RMA would help you.
You can try flashing the "Galax 1000W" 3080 Ti bios and see if this increases the memory power rail draw (if your card is a 2x8 pin card, your total
max TDP will be 66% of 1000W or 667W, due to the missing 8 pin #3 which will be "duplicated" from 8 pin #1

Seems like only Strix and a few other cards are reporting memory (MVDDC/FBVDD) power limit to windows. That seems to be what is causing throttle (on the cards that report it on 3080 TI's, this is exceeding 162W. On the 3090 ROG Strix, the ampere BIOS editor (which won't work on any 3080 Ti, any newer builds are private and I don't know how to get it) shows the memory power limit on that card to be exactly 162W, which it never reaches at stock...)
my card is a 3 8 pin connector ...
this is a link to my gpu bios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/237740/237740
i bought the card from amazon i might try to return it as faulty if not i might bite the bullet and return it any way and lost some of its cost . if it seems an issue plaguing some 3080 ti s

3080 Tis are weird.

View attachment 218931
u r below ur max tdp by 19w my card is below it max tdp by 80 w which is huge .. and what hurts more is that this card is a decent over clocker that went up to 2130 mhz stable yet once is hit 100% load is fall rlly hard to 1800 or 1750 at 0.8 and cant get higher which would seem as it caused by 1 of the rails hitting normalized tdp too early

my card is a 3 8 pin connector ...
this is a link to my gpu bios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/237740/237740
i bought the card from amazon i might try to return it as faulty if not i might bite the bullet and return it any way and lost some of its cost . if it seems an issue plaguing some 3080 ti s

u r below ur max tdp by 19w my card is below it max tdp by 80 w which is huge .. and what hurts more is that this card is a decent over clocker that went up to 2130 mhz stable yet once is hit 100% load is fall rlly hard to 1800 or 1750 at 0.8 and cant get higher which would seem as it caused by 1 of the rails hitting normalized tdp too early
Try the Galax 1000W 3080 Ti bios (its on TPU somewhere uploaded) and see if that helps any.

Chaotic

Try the Galax 1000W 3080 Ti bios (its on TPU somewhere uploaded) and see if that helps any.
isn't the bios locked to card family like i could move in a could of vbios of my card but the same revision cuz if get away from that i might end up bricking so badly that it won't let power up to the point that let me reflash my old bios so jumped to another card AIB might me a bold move or maybe i got it wrong

No, other people have flashed it before.
Does your card have a backup bios toggle switch?

Just for intermezzo - if your card runs at maximum 91% power or so and you're seeing 150fps and more everywhere, just live with it, it's not a hindrance, although I get it - you payed so much for the card, it should run right.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
i asked a friend (who has a FTW3 Ultra) his card peaks at 92% of the powerlimit as well.

i guess it's either a (visual) bug or something that NVidia does for some reason...

Chaotic

No, other people have flashed it before.
Does your card have a backup bios toggle switch?
it got performance and quiet bois

Just for intermezzo - if your card runs at maximum 91% power or so and you're seeing 150fps and more everywhere, just live with it, it's not a hindrance, although I get it - you payed so much for the card, it should run right.
yeah if iam paying that much it should run as it should be because at 91 % power its a 3080 with a 3080ti sticker on its side

i asked a friend (who has a FTW3 Ultra) his card peaks at 92% of the powerlimit as well.

i guess it's either a (visual) bug or something that NVidia does for some reason...
that would be really sad if it a hardware issue that is plaguing 3080ti and no one is fixing it

Chaotic

so talked to amazon they told me if i want to return its ok however they can't replace it because its out of stock . and they told me to contact palit cuz to use my warranty and get anew one .. here is where is real joke starts .. so palit told me that it doen't grand warranty to end user and warranty is for the redistributor and shop and told me to contact the shop i bought it from .. for me its ok but i bought it from amazon and amazon was seller it self however for the millions of palit cards that got scalped they r fucked .. they asked me for SN and vbios number and told me that they will supply me with the latest one.. however my card was manufactured on the 13/9/2021 aka unless they r shitting vbios i would be on the lastest vbios but doesn't hurt to try

is there is a way to edit my own card vbios to make it go higher

Unfortunately there isn't any way yet to edit Pascal (GTX 10x0) and up BIOS'es. NVIDIA thinks they got everything right and that people aren't sophisticated enough to understand their little ways of doing things. :rolleyes:

Chaotic

Unfortunately there isn't any way yet to edit Pascal (GTX 10x0) and up BIOS'es. NVIDIA thinks they got everything right and that people aren't sophisticated enough to understand their little ways of doing things. :rolleyes:
thanks

System Name ROG 7900X3d By purecain
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Memory 64Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB 6400@6000mhz@1.41v
Video Card(s) Aorus RTX4090 Extreme Waterforce
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Display(s) LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Case Thermaltake CoreX71 Limited Edition Etched Tempered Glass Door
Audio Device(s) On board/NIcomplete audio 6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 1000w 80+
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
I think they lowered the cards power usage due to the whole poscap mlcc situation. As crashing was causing people to send back their cards.