• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Sued Over WGA Privacy Issues

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Most people would think that Microsoft has had enough trouble with WGA in the past. It seems to not even phase pirating, and recently locked legitimate users out of Windows temporarily. However, a student at Beijing University in China wants to add "spies on legitimate users" to that list. He installed WGA on his XP SP2 computer, and according to some, he did this without knowing what exactly what WGA did. The student's lawsuit focuses on the idea that Microsoft's anti-piracy measure is a violation of privacy. Microsoft stands firm in their claim that WGA is non-invasive, and only checks on core parts of the operating system.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I bet Bill Gates Is just sitting in his big chair reading about this, rolling himself a fat one one & thinking..... f**k me this is going to hurt

Flint

Processor Core2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B-Deluxe
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 4 GB Patriot DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) HD 4870
Storage 2 Seagate 80GB in Raid 0
Display(s) Viewsonic VX924
Case Lian Li G70
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620
Software WinXp/Vista 32 dual boot
How is this going to hurt Bill Gates, or Microsoft? This isn't the first lawsuit over WGA, and somehow MS keeps rolling along. Does everyone really have that much of an issue with WGA? I'm not being a wise ass, I'm truly interested in whether most people have as much of a problem with WGA as this student does.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
How is this going to hurt Bill Gates, or Microsoft? This isn't the first lawsuit over WGA, and somehow MS keeps rolling along. Does everyone really have that much of an issue with WGA? I'm not being a wise ass, I'm truly interested in whether most people have as much of a problem with WGA as this student does.

Please, if you're going to sound like a Microsoft shill (whether you are or not :p), at least do your homework: Weekend WGA Failure Locked Out Legit Windows Vista Users

If this isn't a problem for you, then I don't know what is. Any software that punishes legitimate users while allowing pirates to roam free has serious issues. And this is just one example.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

well it is because Microsoft have just been fined $688-$690 million & also orderd to pick up 80% of court costs in their anti-trust case

so that, the drop in sales & also legal action by those such as this student here. but then again yeah im sure Bill Gates has more cash where that came from - this must be like buying a bag of KP Peanuts at the local Qwikie mart for him

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6998272.stm

EDIT:

not to mention what kinda other lawsuits they may have picked up along the way

Flint

Video Card(s) HD 4870
Case Lian Li G70
Please, if you're going to sound like a Microsoft shill (whether you are or not :p), at least do your homework: Weekend WGA Failure Locked Out Legit Windows Vista Users

If this isn't a problem for you, then I don't know what is. Any software that punishes legitimate users while allowing pirates to roam free has serious issues. And this is just one example.

Why did you have to reply back with that tone? I asked for reasons, not insults. Chill out, man. That WGA failure didn't affect, so I had obviously had no problem it, nor did the other 4 PC's in my house. Sorry if sound like I am defending MS. Did you personally have a problem with WGA?

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Why did you have to reply back with that tone? I asked for reasons, not insults. Chill out, man. That WGA failure didn't affect, so I had obviously had no problem it, nor did the other 4 PC's in my house. Sorry if sound like I am defending MS. Did you personally have a problem with WGA?

The "tongue-sticking-out-of-mouth" smilie :)p) is usually used to denote a lighthearted tone, and can sometimes be an indicator that a poster's intentions are other than that immediately inferred by the overall tone of the post.

{roles eyes} Here we go again. MS will just bog it down even "if" there is anything legit about it. If this kid is going to fight it he's not going to have time for school, lol.
I bet Bill Gates Is just sitting in his big chair reading about this, rolling himself a fat one one & thinking..... f**k me this is going to hurt
Not sure if Bill really cares too much about what happens to MS anymore (had he I'd have thought he would have picked someone smart in either the business or tech field to run it...).

Flint

Video Card(s) HD 4870
Case Lian Li G70
The "tongue-sticking-out-of-mouth" smilie :)p) is usually used to denote a lighthearted tone, and can sometimes be an indicator that a poster's intentions are other than that immediately inferred by the overall tone of the post.

Sorry man..this is me with too much coffee in the morning and too many phone calls in the morning. I totally read you wrong.

In reading Freedom's posts and your post, I have to agree...MS use of WGA has brought about some major headcaches for MS and it's users, but I think that is the exception, rather than the rule. I was just curious as to whether you folks consider WGA a violation of privacy.

Also, what alternative anti-piracy measures should MS look into..besides the obvious of not charging an arm and a leg for their OS?

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Sorry man..this is me with too much coffee in the morning and too many phone calls in the morning. I totally read you wrong.

In reading Freedom's posts and your post, I have to agree...MS use of WGA has brought about some major headcaches for MS and it's users, but I think that is the exception, rather than the rule. I was just curious as to whether you folks consider WGA a violation of privacy.

Also, what alternative anti-piracy measures should MS look into..besides the obvious of not charging an arm and a leg for their OS?

Worry not -- my sarcasm was tightly veiled and hard to identify.

But anywho, is WGA an invasion of privacy? Isn't any software that periodically "phones home" with information about what you're doing and what you've got installed without telling you an "invasion of privacy?" ;)

And anti-piracy measures? Well, they could drop support for all major 3D games and business software. That'd pretty much cut out on people pirating copies of Windows. Short of that, there's nothing MS can do -- people can, and will always, pirate their software.

The thing is, though -- they don't care. They want you to pirate it. Bill Gates said it himself in 1998 -- as long as you're pirating their stuff, they really don't care.

Oh, they'll come after a few to make it look like they're trying to stamp out piracy, but this is mostly just for shareholders.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it

But anywho, is WGA an invasion of privacy? Isn't any software that periodically "phones home" with information about what you're doing and what you've got installed without telling you an "invasion of privacy?" ;)

And anti-piracy measures? Well, they could drop support for all major 3D games and business software. That'd pretty much cut out on people pirating copies of Windows. Short of that, there's nothing MS can do -- people can, and will always, pirate their software.

The thing is, though -- they don't care. They want you to pirate it. Bill Gates said it himself in 1998 -- as long as you're pirating their stuff, they really don't care.

Oh, they'll come after a few to make it look like they're trying to stamp out piracy, but this is mostly just for shareholders.

Nice read lol
Says alot about Bill Gates but then again thats just for pirating in China :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Also I noticwed something ironic Bill Gates says in this 1998 interview that in about a decade he will probably have another CEO replace him how ironic Bill Gates is stepping down as head honcho in Summer 2008 lol oh well this is a good story though

I could have sworn I read somewhere on here that mdm-adph was an alternative term for sarcasm on the forum ;P

I agree, but on the charges actually brought up against pirates it seems its either the broadcasters of their piracy or companies that are caught with it. I've seen plenty of computers that say "your version of windows (insert version) is invalid" with the 30sec or so delay before allowing you to login and continue use.

Flint, I think that a lot of companies we use software and drivers from violate our privacy but we agree to it when we install and use their products. Microsoft is just an antitrust company now so everyone worries about them. There are much smaller companies that no one looks at that take system information and don't specify anything but its anonymity.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Software Lots of it
Flint, I think that a lot of companies we use software and drivers from violate our privacy but we agree to it when we install and use their products. Microsoft is just an antitrust company now so everyone worries about them. There are much smaller companies that no one looks at that take system information and don't specify anything but its anonymity.

I think thats a really good argument and says alot about companies other than Microsoft

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yeah, I mean, if a company wants to protect themselves and their profits, they get slammed for it. If they dont, they get slammed for it, its a catch 22 to be honest.

Im assuming, that in 1998 when he said that, he didnt think it would cost them as much as it is currently costing them today.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Im assuming, that in 1998 when he said that, he didnt think it would cost them as much as it is currently costing them today.

Maybe so, but I just don't think that, even today, it's costing them nearly anything.

Remember, this is the company that claimed record sales of an operating system like Vista -- sounds to me like they're getting most of their revenue through OEM sales and business contracts, and those are fairly immune to piracy.

Flint

Video Card(s) HD 4870
Case Lian Li G70
Yeah, I think retail copies of Vista, if any are being bought, have to be a very small percentage of Vista sales. Most folks either get the OS preinstalled by the OEM, or opt to buy a cheaper OEM copy on their own. Or pirate it.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I'm guessing WGA is zune format?

MS needs to back off of their customers; it would be funny if China ordered MS to make the format able to spy on their citizens. :laugh:

Flint

Video Card(s) HD 4870
Case Lian Li G70
it would be funny if China ordered MS to make the format able to spy on their citizens. :laugh:

:laugh: I was thinking about that earlier. This fellow has more to worry about than MS spying on him.

Hmm now that I think on it more, we all have more to worry about. :(

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
:laugh: I was thinking about that earlier. This fellow has more to worry about than MS spying on him.

Hmm now that I think on it more, we all have more to worry about. :(

All-seeing oppressive totalitarian governments FTW!

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
All-seeing oppressive totalitarian governments FTW!

I would say China is the least worst of these types of governments lol, but didn't they order MS to make there OSes so that what the government wanted censored on the internet was censored?

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
I would say China is the least worst of these types of governments lol, but didn't they order MS to make there OSes so that what the government wanted censored on the internet was censored?

No I thibnk that was Google that they had censor the web.