• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[PCGamer] The creator of Ethereum got into crypto because Blizzard nerfed his character

Space Lynx

Astronaut
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-creator...crypto-because-blizzard-nerfed-his-character/

"I happily played World of Warcraft during 2007-2010," Buterin writes in his bio, "but one day Blizzard removed the damage component from my beloved warlock's Siphon Life spell. I cried myself to sleep, and on that day I realized what horrors centralized services can bring. I soon decided to quit."

----- hard to believe gpu mining might not even be a thing (since bitcoin miners use ASICS) all because of a WoW patch that nerfed Warlocks. What a fucking weird time to be alive. I swear Elon Musk might be right that this is all just a computer simulation. What a shit show humanity is.

@lexluthermiester @trog100 @ZenZimZaliben @Metroid @RandallFlagg

I remember that vitalik used to hang out at MTGOX and btce in 2013, to me eth like other cryptocoins was always a coin to steal btc, crypto since its inception in 2010 is 99.9% manipulation and 0.01% margin of error ehhe

Anyway, I understand him, however eth is not the best example of a decentralized blockchain.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I just think it is fascinating that even NFT's might not even exist without a simple WoW patch... who knows the chain of events... I mean one can always argue well someone else would have come along eventually. That is true, but on same hand that something may not have stuck, lot of this stuff is just timing and naming and being at the right place at the right time.

Mindblowing to me... if WoW had not nerfed Warlocked... the world might look entirely different, without ETH supporting crypto momentum, BTC might not have even made a comeback, no one could ever reall know these things. Just mindblowing. lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So a cry baby 16 year old wow player screwed the world oh haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, I don't think he had any idea how big it would grow and how much it might influence climate change and short term greed. He is going to proof of stake at some point, which should help, but he has delayed this a few times now... so eh... I feel like if he really cared about the energy grid/limited resources, climate change, etc he would have doubled down and got proof of stake done quicker.

D

Deleted member 24505

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, I don't think he had any idea how big it would grow and how much it might influence climate change and short term greed. He is going to proof of stake at some point, which should help, but he has delayed this a few times now... so eh... I feel like if he really cared about the energy grid/limited resources, climate change, etc he would have doubled down and got proof of stake done quicker.

Happily made 1 billion dollars from it though, so no worries about damage caused eh

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Happily made 1 billion dollars from it though, so no worries about damage caused eh

I remember reading an article about Ethereum very early on, something about 20% of all the coins from ETH were under lock and key to be distributed at a later day and time, and that is why I immediately passed on it. Can't find that article now, didn't search that hard, but eh. Doesn't really matter anymore. All this shit is a scam imo. We literally do not have wiggle room for climate change at all, and we just threw a **** ton of carbon output at fake coins over the last 12 years. It's really sad.

D

Deleted member 24505

Imagine what he could do to actually help the planet with that much cash? or help the needy? but where is the money, sat in his mining? account. just another greedy ass mining toad

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yes, the world is now ruled effectively by sweaty nerds that got bullied in school.

Go figure. There is a last-gen leftover of strong men left, but the rest is snowflake material using brains instead. Dudes like Trump (and Xi... and Erdogan... Bolsonaro) are just spasms of an age gone by. Very dangerous stuff :) And they're all like the inventors of old 'But I never thought they could go this far with my tech'. Ignorance is bliss, as if gunpowder and nukes never happened. We just create systems now with equal force and give them to everyone. Free of charge! I mean just consider the power of cyber now, even in the military... if you can't control your intel, you're not going anywhere. No power? GL HF strong arming people in the dark. No transaction/money? No stuff for you.

And here the women thought they were going to have their 15 minutes now going forward.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Motherboard MSI B450I Gaming Plus Max Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair Hydro X Series Custom Loop
Memory 32 (2x16) GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super FE
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD
Display(s) Vizio 1080p TV Screen (Temporary)
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken X Headset
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Lite Gaming Keyboard
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
Software Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 8706 (Stock)
To me, crypto itself isn't that bad. It has the potential to make things more quick and efficient, like using a credit card instead of cash. Besides, one day, all of the governments are going to create and force us to use cryptocurrencies whether we like it or not. So, we might as well get used to them now.

It's the mining part of crypto that I can't stand. It is just wasteful beyond reason. The creator of ETH definitely missed the mark on that one...

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
To me, crypto itself isn't that bad. It has the potential to make things more quick and efficient, like using a credit card instead of cash. Besides, one day, all of the governments are going to create and force us to use cryptocurrencies whether we like it or not. So, we might as well get used to them now.

It's the mining part of crypto that I can't stand. It is just wasteful beyond reason. The creator of ETH definitely missed the mark on that one...
Well he played WoW so he probably got used to farming/grinding etc.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

crypto is more quick and efficient? it can't even handle the transaction load of Visa/Mastercard by a fraction without massive delays... lol

System Name Desktop PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Motherboard MSI B450I Gaming Plus Max Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair Hydro X Series Custom Loop
Memory 32 (2x16) GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super FE
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD
Display(s) Vizio 1080p TV Screen (Temporary)
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken X Headset
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Lite Gaming Keyboard
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
Software Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 8706 (Stock)
crypto is more quick and efficient? it can't even handle the transaction load of Visa/Mastercard by a fraction without massive delays... lol

Notice that I said, "potential to make things more quick and efficient". ;)

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
It's more efficient for the end user, but as a technology it's the furthest thing from efficiency, it's like delivering a single stick of ram on an 18 wheeler.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I have the potential to get a gf by the age of 40, but I doubt if it happens. Potential means a lot of **** :roll:
40 year old virgin.:roll:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Uhhh, it's a game and he was unhappy with the mechanics changing which has only happened like a million times on WoW since vanilla. So now he rage quit and quite literally started his own game where the early adopters are the ones who reap the greatest benefits. Sounds like someone who doesn't like losing or supporting others. That's probably why he was DPS and not a healer or tank. :laugh:

tl;dr: How many different ways can you say selfish overgrown child?

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Uhhh, it's a game and he was unhappy with the mechanics changing which has only happened like a million times on WoW since vanilla. So now he rage quit and quite literally started his own game where the early adopters are the ones who reap the greatest benefits. Sounds like someone who doesn't like losing or supporting others. That's probably why he was DPS and not a healer or tank. :laugh:

Yeah, there has to be some hubris involved when you make a world wide currency at a very young age, thinking you know more than economics experts who have studied patterns and theories for decades. Still haven't found that ETH or BTC bank willing to lend me some money based on my credit score to finance a new house btw... let me know when... ROFL

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Yeah, there has to be some hubris involved when you make a world wide currency at a very young age, thinking you know more than economics experts who have studied patterns and theories for decades. Still haven't found that ETH or BTC bank willing to lend me some money based on my credit score to finance a new house btw... let me know when... ROFL
Volatility is not what people want to see when doing long term investments. The lack of controls around the currency is the very reason it's prone to manipulation. It's the stock market with no centralized (or really even decentralized) control. It's literally the wild west of currencies where fraud is not just allowed, but seemingly encouraged through mechanisms like pump and dump schemes. You know, things that would be illegal in almost any other modern market. It's like designer drugs used to skirt around drug laws until the feds catch on.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-creator...crypto-because-blizzard-nerfed-his-character/

"I happily played World of Warcraft during 2007-2010," Buterin writes in his bio, "but one day Blizzard removed the damage component from my beloved warlock's Siphon Life spell. I cried myself to sleep, and on that day I realized what horrors centralized services can bring. I soon decided to quit."

----- hard to believe gpu mining might not even be a thing (since bitcoin miners use ASICS) all because of a WoW patch that nerfed Warlocks. What a fucking weird time to be alive. I swear Elon Musk might be right that this is all just a computer simulation. What a shit show humanity is.

@lexluthermiester @trog100 @ZenZimZaliben @Metroid @RandallFlagg
He cried himself to sleep over a video game character? :laugh::roll:

I love this paragraph at the end of the statement;
Many of us have been affected by a strategy we rely on being deemed OP and hit by a nerf. Very few of us subsequently cry ourselves to sleep, quit the game, and then dedicate the rest of our lives to a pyramid scheme for dorks that contributes to an environmental crisis, graphics card shortages, art theft, and ends up being banned in China.
That about sums it up!

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I wouldn't have even noticed the nerfed spell the nerd, and certainly wouldn't cry over it, it's not like loosing a leg is it.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
I wouldn't have even noticed the nerfed spell the nerd, and certainly wouldn't cry over it, it's not like loosing a leg is it.

You'd be surprised at what some people will notice about an online game when things are changed and the extent those people will rage.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You'd be surprised at what some people will notice about an online game when things are changed and the extent those people will rage.

part of it is due to the autism spectrum, some people are more on the spectrum then others, those people I pity - because they will have difficult lives. as I am also on the spectrum I can relate, however I am not that far on the spectrum, so I can't relate to this particular story. but I do think if he truly cared about environmental change he would let go of his own hubris and ego and move to proof of stake faster. he sure did take his sweet time. excuses excuses. more like... people with lots of ETH whispering in his ear is my guess, and since he is most likely on the spectrum(I think he said as much on Lex Friedman's podcast, but don't quote me on that, its been awhile since I watched it) - it feels nice having friends and being liked, so he doesn't know any better as someone on the spectrum, I know in those rare moments when I do finally get friends irl, it clouds my judgement from time to time. truly I feel sorry for him and I hope he can rise above and save the day, rather than continue in these foolish endeavors that damage the planet.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Man I'd be a less than a stump by now if I lost parts over every nerf I encountered in gaming life :D

Volatility is not what people want to see when doing long term investments. The lack of controls around the currency is the very reason it's prone to manipulation. It's the stock market with no centralized (or really even decentralized) control. It's literally the wild west of currencies where fraud is not just allowed, but seemingly encouraged through mechanisms like pump and dump schemes. You know, things that would be illegal in almost any other modern market. It's like designer drugs used to skirt around drug laws until the feds catch on.

Haha well put, its even true the new cryptos that pop up all the time are the designer drugs for its users.