• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU blown?

scottishminer

Hi all. I'm a noob miner, so please excuse anything stupid/basic below.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a used rig running 5 RX580 Sapphire 8gb cards. It was running fine (no crashes, reboots etc) using HiveOS to mine ETH up until a few days ago. The rig started rebooting out of the blue, at intervals between 2 hours and 15 mins. After multiple reboots it would power up, but the cards were not running. I turned it off manually for a few minutes then powered up again and it all started fine, but with the same rebooting after a while. I tried making some adjustments to the mining settings, but nothing seemed to make a difference.

After a couple of days of this, the circuit breaker in the house tripped. I turned it back on and everything was back to normal (still with rebooting though). The following day the breaker tripped again and when I turned it back on there was a loud pop from the rig, I think from the PSU but not 100% sure. A visual inspection does not give any clues to where the pop came from, but I am wary of trying to power it up again.

The PSU is a Corsair HX1000i and the cards were pulling around 405w according to HiveOS. It is about 2 years old.

I am assuming that the PSU has blown, but I am right assuming this?

Can anyone recommend any solid PSUs to replace it with?

When doing research I found that the TPD of the cards is 185w each, so the rig would have a TPD of around 1025w. Do I need to go for a 1200-1300w PSU when it was previously running around 500w?

Thanks for reading and any input you can give is most welcome!

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2

scottishminer

Use a Voltmeter to check your output voltage on your PSU, or buy a PSU testing tool.

Is this your card? If so, the TDP is 145w

PSU tester:
Yes, thats the card.

I will get a PSU testing tool and see what it says.

Thanks

Hi ,
No way anyone will know if that’s right or not , no pictures make it even harder , so many things can pop

what are your breaker set/rated for ?

How are you monitoring this ? Is it the total system draw or just gpus ?

I have looked it over thoroughly and can't see any signs of what popped. If there are any parts you would like to see I can upload pictures.

I am not sure on the breaker, it is a standard UK plug circuit breaker. Will have a look.

The total system draw would be approx 500w as the cards were running around 400w and I was adding an additional 100w for the case fans etc.

Thanks

Use a Voltmeter to check your output voltage on your PSU, or buy a PSU testing tool.

PSU tester:
Would this tester be suitable?

Thanks

I have looked it over thoroughly and can't see any signs of what popped.
If it’s the psu you won’t be able to see anything from outside
it is a standard UK plug circuit breaker.
no idea , I don’t live there , I was asking because I was curious if it’s over current protection or short circuit protection that’s kicking in , probably short circuit , but you were able to power again and it worked :confused:
would be approx 500w as the cards were running around 400w and I was adding an additional 100w
I don’t think 5 Rx580 will pull 400w only , so you’re estimating power draw not measuring it , I see...
tester is ok , but it doesn’t tell you the whole story, namely if the PSU will fail under load

If you have another known working psu , test that out with one gpu at a time

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
tester is ok , but it doesn’t tell you the whole story, namely if the PSU will fail under load
yep tool is mainly used for basic testing, load testing is another tool.

scottishminer

I have opened up the PSU and a photo is attached. I can't spot anything that appears out of the ordinary.

no idea , I don’t live there , I was asking because I was curious if it’s over current protection or short circuit protection that’s kicking in , probably short circuit , but you were able to power again and it worked :confused:

I don’t think 5 Rx580 will pull 400w only , so you’re estimating power draw not measuring it , I see...

If you have another known working psu , test that out with one gpu at a time

The circuit breaker is 32amp.

I was not measuring the power draw, just using the figures on HiveOS + 100w for case fans etc. Have ordered a meter.

I don't have another PSU, but will try the paperclip method with a case fan firstly.

Could a faulty riser have caused the issues in the first post? Just trying to narrow down the possibilities for fault finding & testing.

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_091459783.jpg
    PXL_20211008_091459783.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 181
The circuit breaker is 32amp.
That’s a lot of current, is this breaker handling everything in the house ? Or just that one single outlet/room you’re plugging your pc to .
I don't have another PSU, but will try the paperclip method with a case fan firstly.
yeah strip the system and test one peripheral at a time , that might reveal something
Could a faulty riser have caused the issues in the first post?
it definitely can ,but a faulty riser will also stop Your system from booting until you remove/disconnect it , according to you , you were able to boot few times afterwards :
the circuit breaker in the house tripped. I turned it back on and everything was back to normal (still with rebooting though)
So it’s unlikely, but you shouldn’t rule that out .

also give that psu a cleanup , be careful what you touch with your hands , those big capacitors can give you a buzz , I also see insects trapped there , that’s not ideal ...maybe compressed air can help

Can you share how are you setting up the 5 gpus

scottishminer

Here is a photo of the rig, hopefully you can see what you need.

I've got a new air cleaner coming tomorrow as the current one was almost empty.

The circuit breaker is for the plug sockets in half my house.

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_121318016.jpg
    PXL_20211008_121318016.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 188
The circuit breaker is for the plug sockets in half my house.
I see , well i was confused I thought it was tripping the breaker since the beginning of the random shutdowns , after re-readings your OP the breaker tripped only twice , and last time it tripped was before the pop you heard

look at this
F4B3990E-6A51-42ED-AB62-79118CE904B8.jpeg

insulation melting , that’s why it was shutting down before I guess , when it cools down the insulation solidifies again, and after a while under load things start to get hot and it melts again and shuts down.

this failure will usually not give a “pop” kind of sound , so something else also failed , probably the big mosfets attached to those heatsinks ...

If you can get a closer picture of that melted insulation around the transformer that would be great, just to confirm that it’s actually damaged and not just a visual mistake as the picture is not very clear ...

so my final guess is that psu is NOT enough for the setup you have , or the poor quality of that transformer is causing this , I have seen a lot of capable transformer fail due to POOR insulation, and it’s possible Corsair cheaped out in the transformer, or you have chosen the wrong psu for your application.

I will let someone else recommend a proper PSU as I don’t have anything in mind , and not sure how much power you need to run that rig comfortably, but you can have a look here for choices/prices :

scottishminer

PSU tester:
Would this tester be suitable?

Thanks
I see , well i was confused I thought it was tripping the breaker since the beginning of the random shutdowns , after re-readings your OP the breaker tripped only twice , and last time it tripped was before the pop you heard

look at this
View attachment 220026

insulation melting , that’s why it was shutting down before I guess , when it cools down the insulation solidifies again, and after a while under load things start to get hot and it melts again and shuts down.

this failure will usually not give a “pop” kind of sound , so something else also failed , probably the big mosfets attached to those heatsinks ...

If you can get a closer picture of that melted insulation around the transformer that would be great, just to confirm that it’s actually damaged and not just a visual mistake as the picture is not very clear ...

so my final guess is that psu is NOT enough for the setup you have , or the poor quality of that transformer is causing this , I have seen a lot of capable transformer fail due to POOR insulation, and it’s possible Corsair cheaped out in the transformer, or you have chosen the wrong psu for your application.

I will let someone else recommend a proper PSU as I don’t have anything in mind , and not sure how much power you need to run that rig comfortably, but you can have a look here for choices/prices :

It is hard to tell if it has melted and hardened, even looking very close with the naked eye, but my gut feeling is that is hasn't.

I'm going to wait till I get the new air cleaner and give it a good dusting then try it with just one component. If this does work I will run through a test of the other cards.

If I can get it running fully, I will use the meter (also arriving tomorrow) to measure the draw at the socket. If the draw is high I will look at a higher rated PSU.

Thanks for your input and I will let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_161914771.jpg
    PXL_20211008_161914771.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20211008_162029625.jpg
    PXL_20211008_162029625.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 134
It is hard to tell if it has melted and hardened, even looking very close with the naked eye, but my gut feeling is that is hasn't.
Looks fine in these new shots , that’s probably the reflection of the other inductors on the warped insulation tape , god it’s tricky ...

i hope psu is fine , let us know how it goes , good luck :)

System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
I also got a HX1200i blown with only modest load from 1 GPU mining ETH, pop sound then burnt smell. It appears something is indeed wrong with this series.
I otherwise have 6 RMx and 1 AX1600i, all are perfect.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

About 6 weeks ago I bought a used rig running 5 RX580 Sapphire 8gb cards. It was running fine (no crashes, reboots etc) using HiveOS to mine ETH up until a few days ago. The rig started rebooting out of the blue, at intervals between 2 hours and 15 mins. After multiple reboots it would power up, but the cards were not running. I turned it off manually for a few minutes then powered up again and it all started fine, but with the same rebooting after a while. I tried making some adjustments to the mining settings, but nothing seemed to make a difference.

After a couple of days of this, the circuit breaker in the house tripped. I turned it back on and everything was back to normal (still with rebooting though). The following day the breaker tripped again and when I turned it back on there was a loud pop from the rig, I think from the PSU but not 100% sure. A visual inspection does not give any clues to where the pop came from, but I am wary of trying to power it up again.

The PSU is a Corsair HX1000i and the cards were pulling around 405w according to HiveOS. It is about 2 years old.

When doing research I found that the TPD of the cards is 185w each, so the rig would have a TPD of around 1025w. Do I need to go for a 1200-1300w PSU when it was previously running around 500w?

It sounds like a crash reverted the running settings of your mining GPU to be normal instead of tuned for efficiency, pulling more power than the PSU could sustain, five on 1000 watts without tuning is close.
But spikes in power use from five are what would likely kill the PSU.
And it does sound like the PSU died.

Could also have been one or more GPU died though too.

scottishminer

Sorry for the delay in updating, hectic in the day job then I had a weeks holiday.

I cleaned up all the dust in the PSU and the rig and re-assembled everything.

I tried turning it back on with only 1 card and the motherboard plugged into the PSU. Again I got a loud pop with an orange spark/flash which appeared to come from inside the PSU and the circuit breaker tripped once more.

Unless anyone can tell me a good reason why not, I am finally going to call this PSU dead and order a new one.

I have been looking at the AX series as mentioned by @Sandbo - are there any other suggestions that I could look at?

Thanks

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Sorry for the delay in updating, hectic in the day job then I had a weeks holiday.

I cleaned up all the dust in the PSU and the rig and re-assembled everything.

I tried turning it back on with only 1 card and the motherboard plugged into the PSU. Again I got a loud pop with an orange spark/flash which appeared to come from inside the PSU and the circuit breaker tripped once more.

Unless anyone can tell me a good reason why not, I am finally going to call this PSU dead and order a new one.

I have been looking at the AX series as mentioned by @Sandbo - are there any other suggestions that I could look at?

Thanks
Shes dead. Hopefully it didn't damage anything else when it popped.
Seasonic, EVGA, Superflower, be quiet! All make solid high wattage units.
It might be worth contacting corsairs cs dept and seeing what they will do about their flash bang unit. They may step up and replace it.

scottishminer

Shes dead. Hopefully it didn't damage anything else when it popped.
Seasonic, EVGA, Superflower, be quiet! All make solid high wattage units.
It might be worth contacting corsairs cs dept and seeing what they will do about their flash bang unit. They may step up and replace it.
Thanks Maxfly. I'm hoping nothing else has been damaged too!

I'm not sure how helpful Corsair will be as I don't have any of the purchase docs as I bought it used as part of the rig, but will asked the seller if he has anything. I do have the original box. Also, I have opened the unit, so that will invalidate any warranty.

Will check out those brands you mentioned.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Since everyone else figured out your PSU is dead, may I give a suggestion?

I use these:

So far, they have worked well for me.

I know some people had the odd issue with them, but they seem to be most popular with miners.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

No wonder you blew up, youre mining.

405x5 is 2025 Watts, people forget the mobo, ram, cpu, drives, fans are drawing watts too.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
No wonder you blew up, youre mining.

405x5 is 2025 Watts, people forget the mobo, ram, cpu, drives, fans are drawing watts too.
dont know how he configured it, but RX 580's, or any GPU being mined isn't using full wattage.

For instance, my 3070ti's, 5 of them on 1 rig, is drawing about 190w each for example. I believe with 580's they are about 90W each after modifications.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Those primary capacitors don't look great

Attachments

• Primaries.png
    Primaries.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 79

scottishminer

dont know how he configured it, but RX 580's, or any GPU being mined isn't using full wattage.

For instance, my 3070ti's, 5 of them on 1 rig, is drawing about 190w each for example. I believe with 580's they are about 90W each after modifications.
The cards were pulling around 80W each, total just over 400W. This is the HiveOS data & I know the draw from the socket will be higher, but 1000W should be more than enough.

Will have a look for those breakout boards in the UK.

Thanks