• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Figuring out whats wrong with these R9 380 cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

istblob

Hello there, I hope you guys are doing well.

I have a couple R9 380 one is MSI and the other is Sapphire both are still with 4GB until now :D

I'm new to fixing up this kind of stuff, but I'm into learning new things. So i managed to get one card to my machine and did some initial software inspection I got to the conculsion that I have a bad RAM (three chips apparently are faulty) on the MSI which is a Hynix based one,

Bash:
Memory vendor info in vbios: Vendor HYNIX, Rev 6, P/N H5GC4H24AJR
GDDR5 Information (149M/299E):
CH C0: VID=0x0b0b6666 HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C
CH C1: VID=0x66660b0b HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C
CH A0: VID=0x0b0b6666 HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 65'C
CH A1: VID=0x66660b0b HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C
CH D0: VID=0xaffebfff MICRON  Rev:0xa Density:4096Mb FIFO:7
CH D1: VID=0x08080808 Invalid data
CH F0: VID=0x08080808 Invalid data
CH F1: VID=0x0b0b6666 HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C

on the other hand I can control many aspects of the card, like voltage/clock/fan speed etc, but of course with a bad RAM i won't be able to see anything on the screen expect a black screen with some random stripe that is of pinkish/yellowish based color, I dont know if replacing these CH D0/D1/F0 would actually fix the problem of this card or not but i think for the learning experience its worth the trial, I do know that its not an easy peasy job.

or maybe all of what i figured out does make no sense at all and someone can shed some more light.

The Sapphire card is more of a story, which is elpida RAM based, this one gave some hard time to investigate and it barely allows me to talk to it, and once i do say something to it, my machine would hang and then my mother board will be flashing with qcode 8, i also tried all the available bios available on the internet (the ones i could find, maybe 7 of them) all the same result.

All my best,

ok the situation has worsened a bit with MSI card, I did a bad move, I just flashed wrong bios on it, and now its totally invisible for the machine, I cant see it, starting from BIOS up until linux..
I think I would need to short the reset PIN on the bios flash/chip to get the factory BIOS again or it does not even work that way :D

Last edited:
System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello
In your picture what i saw is that the program reported 2 types of memory.
One of it is Hynix the other one is Micron.
Well i never saw in my life a video card with 2 types of memory chips soldered.
So. I would like to try to help you.
Is there any chance to open both cards and make a photo of the memory chips ?
On the other hand we need a picture from each card , from those stickers (labels) you have on them.
If by any chance you can boot into windows make a picture from GPU-z from each card.
To boot into operating system you will need to have a secondary card which will be enabled as the 1st card.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hello there, I hope you guys are doing well.

I have a couple R9 380 one is MSI and the other is Sapphire both are still with 4GB until now :D

I'm new to fixing up this kind of stuff, but I'm into learning new things. So i managed to get one card to my machine and did some initial software inspection I got to the conculsion that I have a bad RAM (three chips apparently are faulty) on the MSI which is a Hynix based one,

Bash:
Memory vendor info in vbios: Vendor HYNIX, Rev 6, P/N H5GC4H24AJR
GDDR5 Information (149M/299E):
CH C0: VID=0x0b0b6666 HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C
CH C1: VID=0x66660b0b HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C
CH A0: VID=0x0b0b6666 HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 65'C
CH A1: VID=0x66660b0b HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C
CH D0: VID=0xaffebfff MICRON  Rev:0xa Density:4096Mb FIFO:7
CH D1: VID=0x08080808 Invalid data
CH F0: VID=0x08080808 Invalid data
CH F1: VID=0x0b0b6666 HYNIX H5GC4H24AJR Rev:0x6 Density:4096Mb FIFO:6 <45'C

on the other hand I can control many aspects of the card, like voltage/clock/fan speed etc, but of course with a bad RAM i won't be able to see anything on the screen expect a black screen with some random stripe that is of pinkish/yellowish based color, I dont know if replacing these CH D0/D1/F0 would actually fix the problem of this card or not but i think for the learning experience its worth the trial, I do know that its not an easy peasy job.

or maybe all of what i figured out does make no sense at all and someone can shed some more light.

The Sapphire card is more of a story, which is elpida RAM based, this one gave some hard time to investigate and it barely allows me to talk to it, and once i do say something to it, my machine would hang and then my mother board will be flashing with qcode 8, i also tried all the available bios available on the internet (the ones i could find, maybe 7 of them) all the same result.

All my best,

ok the situation has worsened a bit with MSI card, I did a bad move, I just flashed wrong bios on it, and now its totally invisible for the machine, I cant see it, starting from BIOS up until linux..
I think I would need to short the reset PIN on the bios flash/chip to get the factory BIOS again or it does not even work that way :D
Go buy a spi flasher and fix the card, and learn how to replace bga ram...

istblob

Hello
In your picture what i saw is that the program reported 2 types of memory.
One of it is Hynix the other one is Micron.
Well i never saw in my life a video card with 2 types of memory chips soldered.
So. I would like to try to help you.
Is there any chance to open both cards and make a photo of the memory chips ?
On the other hand we need a picture from each card , from those stickers (labels) you have on them.
If by any chance you can boot into windows make a picture from GPU-z from each card.
To boot into operating system you will need to have a secondary card which will be enabled as the 1st card.
Thanks a lot, for your reply. I also got confused, but i suspect that the RAM is bad to the extent its returning false information to the software, I inspected the 8 chips on the MSI card and they all go with HYNIX. So no Micron, probably just a bad RAM acting up as a Micron :D

I will post more information on the card very soon, but no windows, I have no license. I like linux more honestly, will get all the information GPU-Z has from linux though.

You are right many things to learn still, SPI flasher makes more sense than digging up the reset procedure on the flash chip, Thanks for the advice! also I will try top learn how RAM replacements takes place for these guys.

Thanks a lot

All my best,

but also its not only about replacing the RAM chips, i need to figure out which ones to replace first I guess

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thanks a lot, for your reply. I also got confused, but i suspect that the RAM is bad to the extent its returning false information to the software, I inspected the 8 chips on the MSI card and they all go with HYNIX. So no Micron, probably just a bad RAM acting up as a Micron :D

I will post more information on the card very soon, but no windows, I have no license. I like linux more honestly, will get all the information GPU-Z has from linux though.

You are right many things to learn still, SPI flasher makes more sense than digging up the reset procedure on the flash chip, Thanks for the advice! also I will try top learn how RAM replacements takes place for these guys.

Thanks a lot

All my best,

but also its not only about replacing the RAM chips, i need to figure out which ones to replace first I guess
Sometimes a modified bios has been placed on the card and is why improper ram detection occurs.

Typically what happens is either gpu-z will show 0, 0 on current clocks if for example a micron bios is installed on a samsung card. Or the card will not boot.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
You really know your way around a GPU.. I've wanted to say that for awhile :D

I might have some questions for you later.. :cool:

istblob

i really thank the good people in this thread, and the childish ones I would not really be thankful for.

Some moderators here are good, and some are very rude. I would like to not come back here for any purpose and i regret the minute i posted something on this website. but yeah, lesson learned. I hope the good moderators will let this message through as i'm sure the childish ones will delete it

techpowerdown

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello
Please elaborate.
What do you mean ?
You have some bad experience with some guys on this forum ?
Well do not put all members in the same line.
We will do our best to help other members to solve their problems.
So keep posting here with news.
We like to help so just inform us about your evolution on the problem.
Cheers

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hello
Please elaborate.
What do you mean ?
You have some bad experience with some guys on this forum ?
Well do not put all members in the same line.
We will do our best to help other members to solve their problems.
So keep posting here with news.
We like to help so just inform us about your evolution on the problem.
Cheers
Not sure either.

istblob

I think I must clarify what happened for the folks, i uploaded some documents (images) and explained myself a bit about the go and learn some spi flashing reply, without being rude or disrespectful but rather in a respectful manner, that was in Oct 16th, 2021, and then the moderator decides not to publish the post, the one that i spent time in preparing and deleted it, in a click of a button.. I must say, that was very rude.

You should accept other peoples views, and advise if your advice is a good one.. and hold your horses if not..

I don't want to mention the name of the moderator as he knows his name better than me..

Now lets cut that story there, and go to the good stuff.. :D

Just for the good people, maybe some are moderators maybe some are not, if you happen to have a similar issues with any card, I would be happy to help.. or even harder ones (not necessarily in the Technology sector) :)

i really thank the good people in this thread, and the childish ones I would not really be thankful for.

Some moderators here are good, and some are very rude. I would like to not come back here for any purpose and i regret the minute i posted something on this website. but yeah, lesson learned. I hope the good moderators will let this message through as i'm sure the childish ones will delete it

techpowerdown

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I think I must clarify what happened for the folks, i uploaded some documents (images) and explained myself a bit about the go and learn some spi flashing reply, without being rude or disrespectful but rather in a respectful manner, that was in Oct 16th, 2021, and then the moderator decides not to publish the post, the one that i spent time in preparing and deleted it, in a click of a button.. I must say, that was very rude.

You should accept other peoples views, and advise if your advice is a good one.. and hold your horses if not..

I don't want to mention the name of the moderator as he knows his name better than me..

Now lets cut that story there, and go to the good stuff.. :D

Just for the good people, maybe some are moderators maybe some are not, if you happen to have a similar issues with any card, I would be happy to help.. or even harder ones (not necessarily in the Technology sector) :)
Nah, you were rude, breaking forum rules and overall being an ass.
You went away for a year, then came back trying to start trouble again.

Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.