• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard ASUS B450 Prime Plus
Cooling Factory AMD Cooler
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Video Card(s) 2060 ASUS OC
Power Supply Corsair CS650M
Mouse Steel Series
Doesn't it need to by 4 pin molex to 2 pin? The little fan I got has only 2. would this item you posted still be okay?
Should still work. You just need to plug in the connector the right way. IF the fan doesn't run, try different pins. You won't hurt the fan if you get it wrong.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
That would be perfect too! Go grab it. You be a lucky person with a MicroCenter near you and whatnot!
Is this memory configuration fine? Just got the memory today. Wondering if the slots i put them in are fine.

Attachments

• RAMDELLT55002021.jpg
    RAMDELLT55002021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
System Name Dell T3500 / Be quiet
Processor Xeon X5687 3.6Hgz QC / Intel i9-9900K
Motherboard Dell T3500 MB / ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
Cooling Dell T3500 cooling / CORSAIR HYDRO Series H150i PRO RGB
Memory 15gig PC3-10700 / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 Go (4x8 Go) 3600 MHz
Video Card(s) Sli 2x Quadro M4000 8gig / Sli 2x ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING
Storage SSD SAMSUNG 500gig + Seagate 4To / M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 1 To + WD 14To
Display(s) dell U2412M 16:10 1920x1200 /
Case Dell T3500 case / Be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
Power Supply Aurum CM 750W / Cooler master V1200 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Win 10
There's a very good point. 18GB or 24GB is recommended for that system with that GPU having 11GB of VRAM. The system RAM is a buffer for the GPU, so you need more system RAM than VRAM to keep the GPU from being starved of data.

@slaine_mcroth
How much RAM do you have in that system?

So i have updated my T3500 with 24meg of ram and the xeon 5690 but it seems that there is no improvement at all...

Anyway, now i will focus on my new toy the dell T7910, need a couple of upgrade...

T7910_12-10-2021 21-42-06.jpg

Is this memory configuration fine? Just got the memory today. Wondering if the slots i put them in are fine.
That will work if you only want single channel mode. Move both of the sticks into DIMM1 & DIMM2. This will give you at least dual channel mode. Do you have more RAM coming?

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
That will work if you only want single channel mode. Move both of the sticks into DIMM1 & DIMM2. This will give you at least dual channel mode. Do you have more RAM coming?
No more ram, I do have sticks 4gb each but I read something about this motherboard needing all exact ram?

No more ram, I do have sticks 4gb each but I read something about this motherboard needing all exact ram?
Same size & timings of sticks on the same channel, yes. You mix sizes on different channels though. For example you can do 3 x 4GB on one channel and do 3 x 2GB on the other channel. If you mix DIMMs with different speeds & timings, the system will simply default to the speeds & timings of the slowest DIMM detected. While this is not optimal, it'll work.

However, mixing different types of DIMMs will not work. If you want to use non-ECC RAM, all of the DIMMs must be non-ECC. If you want to use ECC, all DIMMs must be ECC. If you want to use ECC Registered, all DIMMs must be ECC Registered. As long as the types match, you can still use different speed DIMMs, but they will all run a the speeds & timings of the slowest DIMM detected.

Specific to your board, you can use all three types because your chipset supports all three.

Does all of that make sense?

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
Same size & timings of sticks on the same channel, yes. You mix sizes on different channels though. For example you can do 3 x 4GB on one channel and do 3 x 2GB on the other channel. If you mix DIMMs with different speeds & timings, the system will simply default to the speeds & timings of the slowest DIMM detected. While this is not optimal, it'll work.

However, mixing different types of DIMMs will not work. If you want to use non-ECC RAM, all of the DIMMs must be non-ECC. If you want to use ECC, all DIMMs must be ECC. If you want to use ECC Registered, all DIMMs must be ECC Registered. As long as the types match, you can still use different speed DIMMs, but they will all run a the speeds & timings of the slowest DIMM detected.

Specific to your board, you can use all three types because your chipset supports all three.

Does all of that make sense?
Understood. However my CPU came in today its a x5680, I put it in the motherboard and have a black screen as I power it on with LED Lights blinking (4,3,2) along with the orange power light. I recorded this but it is also similiar to another video I found on youtube. What could be my problem? This is the ram i got for it. 16GB RAM LINK

Here is the processor I got for it Processor Bundle

I reset the CMOS already and put the ram in Slots 1 and 2 for dual as you said. I'll post my video

After this video I put another x5680 in and took out the other and gives me different lights then shuts off. i recorded it here

Last edited:
Understood. However my CPU came in today its a x5680, I put it in the motherboard and have a black screen as I power it on with LED Lights blinking (4,3,2) along with the orange power light. I recorded this but it is also similiar to another video I found on youtube. What could be my problem? This is the ram i got for it. 16GB RAM LINK

Here is the processor I got for it Processor Bundle

I reset the CMOS already and put the ram in Slots 1 and 2 for dual as you said. I'll post my video

After this video I put another x5680 in and took out the other and gives me different lights then shuts off. i recorded it here
First things first, does that board still work with the original CPU &RAM in it? If so, the BIOS likely needs updating.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
First things first, does that board still work with the original CPU &RAM in it? If so, the BIOS likely needs updating.
This motherboard was given to me with no RAM nor CPU so I wouldnt know what CPU or RAM it came with. It's why I brought a pair of x5680's and 16GB RAM. Do I need to buy the original RAM and CPU? If so, which processor,ram you think came with this board? Can it not run with upgraded RAM? I have the Service Tag to the computer if that means anything

Attachments

• 1634312992287.png
    1634312992287.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
This motherboard was given to me with no RAM nor CPU so I wouldnt know what CPU or RAM it came with. It's why I brought a pair of x5680's and 16GB RAM. Do I need to buy the original RAM and CPU? If so, which processor,ram you think came with this board? Can it not run with upgraded RAM? I have the Service Tag to the computer if that means anything
Ah, that right, forgot. Does it have a video card plugged in and does it show a boot screen?

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
Ah, that right, forgot. Does it have a video card plugged in and does it show a boot screen?
No Boot screen everything is just black even switched it around into different slots and nothing, I just edited the other post with a picture added. I saw this when I looked up its Service Tag and went into specs
I just found another issue i think. there is capacitor that is labeld C2624 on the board, its right by the ram. One of the pins are broken can I replace this with a aftermarket capacitor? (I have soldering skill so its no problem)

Attachments

• BROKEN2.jpg
    BROKEN2.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 76
  • BROKEN.jpg
    BROKEN.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
No Boot screen everything is just black even switched it around into different slots and nothing, I just edited the other post with a picture added. I saw this when I looked up its Service Tag and went into specs
I just found another issue i think. there is capacitor that is labeld C2624 on the board, its right by the ram. One of the pins are broken can I replace this with a aftermarket capacitor? (I have soldering skill so its no problem)
Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM in slot DIMM1? Have you checked for any bent pins in the CPU socket? Have you cleaned the CPU pads? The E5620 is a WestmereEP series CPU so the microcode for the X5680 should be included in that BIOS. However, it couldn't hurt to try booting with an alternate CPU if you have access to one.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM in slot DIMM1? Have you checked for any bent pins in the CPU socket? Have you cleaned the CPU pads? The E5620 is a WestmereEP series CPU so the microcode for the X5680 should be included in that BIOS. However, it couldn't hurt to try booting with an alternate CPU if you have access to one.
So I do have a broken Capacitor (Picture above) maybe that is the culprit? I just finished dumping isopropal 99% alchohol into the socket and wiping it gently with a bunch to get rid of any dirt of debris. Did same for the Pcie slots and ram slots. Will wait a day or two before I can do testing again.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Have not checked on this thread in a while and had a couple thoughts about the recent string of conversation. Forgive me if these were already covered.

1 - that broken capacitor could very well make the board unusable. Unfortunately it looks like you have an older board that uses the United Chimi-con 'KZG' series caps which are known to be failure prone. Dell was fined heavily for hiding this fact from customers actually.

2 - the x5680 is a Westmere CPU and must have the newer BIOS to operate. Otherwise it will give black screen. Been there myself. Need an earlier series CPU so the T5500 board will boot. Then you can update the BIOS.

Attachments

• bios.update.jpg
    bios.update.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
So I do have a broken Capacitor (Picture above) maybe that is the culprit? I just finished dumping isopropal 99% alchohol into the socket and wiping it gently with a bunch to get rid of any dirt of debris. Did same for the Pcie slots and ram slots. Will wait a day or two before I can do testing again.
Yeah, that might just be your problem there. You must have added those pictures after I responded. Didn't see them before. Cap replacement should be easy if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
Have not checked on this thread in a while and had a couple thoughts about the recent string of conversation. Forgive me if these were already covered.

1 - that broken capacitor could very well make the board unusable. Unfortunately it looks like you have an older board that uses the United Chimi-con 'KZG' series caps which are known to be failure prone. Dell was fined heavily for hiding this fact from customers actually.

2 - the x5680 is a Westmere CPU and must have the newer BIOS to operate. Otherwise it will give black screen. Been there myself. Need an earlier series CPU so the T5500 board will boot. Then you can update the BIOS.
Which processor would I have to buy? because I don't have the CPU this motherboard came with so I have no clue to what it wants. Can the Capacitor be replaced? I've been told I can go with a 470uf 35v

Yeah, that might just be your problem there. You must have added those pictures after I responded. Didn't see them before. Cap replacement should be easy if you're handy with a soldering iron.
I can do a capacitor replacement since I've done nec tokin replacements on a Playstation 3 Before so thats no biggy. But I wonder if i can just replace it with any capacitor like what I said to Hannock above

Last edited:
Which processor would I have to buy? because I don't have the CPU this motherboard came with so I have no clue to what it wants. Can the Capacitor be replaced? I've told I can go with a 470uf 35v
Might be a good idea to fix that capacitor and make sure there are no other defects before buying any more parts. I suspect that the capacitor is the problem preventing a successful boot.

The Xeon E5620 the system that board was in originally came with is a WestmereEP based CPU as well. That is not the problem.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Might be a good idea to fix that capacitor and make sure there are no other defects before buying any more parts. I suspect that the capacitor is the problem preventing a successful boot.

The Xeon E5620 the system that board was in originally came with is a WestmereEP based CPU as well. That is not the problem.
My mistake. Was thinking since the E5620 stops at 1066 memory bandwidth that it was Bloomfield.

x2 on replacing that cap before going further. If it were me, I would replace all those 'KZG' caps while at it. Replacements should be same uF rating but can be of higher voltage but not lower.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series

My mistake. Was thinking since the E5620 stops at 1066 memory bandwidth that it was Bloomfield.

x2 on replacing that cap before going further. If it were me, I would replace all those 'KZG' caps while at it. Replacements should be same uF rating but can be of higher voltage but not lower.
So after doing a cap replacement (470uf 35v) and setting everything backup for testing, it smells like a cable is burning but I see nothing that is burning. This is getting scary. The computer is doing the same thing with LED Lights 3 and 4 Green along with a green power button then It shuts down and turns back on (on loop) (Black Screen no Display) then I took out one RAM stick out DIMM Slot 2 and it showed different lights without it turning off or restarting This also still showed no display but just a black screen. (Lights 3,2,1 were green along with the power button in this phase) ...I wonder if its the 99% alchohal from yesterday creating a smell..

UPDATE: I found out what was burning. It turns out to be the raspberry pi fan I got to cool down one of the bridges that does not have a fan (there was even a little burn mark on it) so i took that out and don't smell anything anymore. While doing this I turned on the computer again and it showed a display but did not fully boot into windows as it went into a black display again. I turned it off after and back on and the computer then kept restarting itself on a loop. Solutions?

Attachments

• LED3_2_1_GREEN_WITH_POWER.jpg
    LED3_2_1_GREEN_WITH_POWER.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 60
  • CAPACATORREPLACEMENT_470UF_35V.jpg
    CAPACATORREPLACEMENT_470UF_35V.jpg
    928.5 KB · Views: 59
  • SYSTEMERROR.jpg
    SYSTEMERROR.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 68
  • TRYINGTOBOOTWIN10.jpg
    TRYINGTOBOOTWIN10.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 71
UPDATE: I found out what was burning. It turns out to be the raspberry pi fan I got to cool down one of the bridges that does not have a fan (there was even a little burn mark on it) so i took that out and don't smell anything anymore. While doing this I turned on the computer again and it showed a display but did not fully boot into windows as it went into a black display again. I turned it off after and back on and the computer then kept restarting itself on a loop. Solutions?
Looks like progress and a partial win. I'm looking at those photos and seeing the black cap with the stripe on the wrong side. Are you sure it's in the right way? Might want to double check. Usually the stripe down the side indicates the negative pole and it seems to be in the positive slot..

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2600
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX
Mouse Steel Series
Looks like progress and a partial win. I looking at those photos and I'm seeing the black cap with the stripe on the wrong side. Are you sure it's in the right way? Might want to double check. Usually the stripe down the side indicates the negative pole and it seems to be in the positive slot..
I'll switch the capacitor around, I went outside and brought a new CMOS Battery for it to really quick. I'll Post an update after those two are fixed

UPDATE: Hmmm, still no display. It makes 2 beeps and is showing green lights for 3 ,2 ,1 with green power light and stays on from there.

Last edited: