• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

10875h never decrease max core frequency

EGD

Hi,

First, excuse my english, i'm french :)
Second, excuse me cause i'm a total noob regarding CPU working /overclocking :)

I own a MSI Raider GE75 with Intel 10875h (2,3Ghz / 5,1Ghz turbo max) and RTX 2070 for 10 months now.
I did not payed attention at first, but CPU temperature seems wrong since the beggining...Fans are often on on a medium flow, and simple web task make temperatures grow till 90-95°C.
I opened it and repaste it with arctic silver (only old paste I owned at the moment), and temperatures went a bit down (also cause fans were already obstructed with dust (although i'm working on a clean desk))
I recently monitored my CPU with Intel XTU, and was surprised to see that my Max Core Frequency is on an almost constant 4,2 Ghz or so, even when i'm on Idle...
I tried to change Windows power profile, but without any changes. I assume MSI Dragon Center override it in his software, which propose 4 scenarios ( extrem, balanced, silent and super battery). My max core frequency only decrease on the super user battery mode, but XTU show me that this mode set a constant Power Limit Throttling...
I can't tune values in XTU because they are all pretty much greyed out.
I'm also suprised not to see Max Core Frequency reching it's highest possible (5,1Ghz) on a stress test...Is it normal?

I don't know where to look to have a CPU working as it should in a balance energy mode...
Thanks in advance for who could help!

D

Deleted member 185158

Performance over power savings I always say.
You're not going to save much energy, and these usually just run hot.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
The MSI GE75 has advanced bios that lets you undervolt the processor so that you can get lower temperatures.
Get into the bios by pressing "delete", then left alt, right control, right shift, then press F2.
That will unlock the advanced bios that lets you undervolt, slightly overclock the processor and put XMP profile on the memory ram.

EGD

Thank you @yotano211 for your advices. I already knew the advanced bios et undervolt way but did not try this at the moment.
I was first wondering if my CPU power management was ok...being always >2,3Ghz does not seem right to me in a idle balanced mode, and I can't find why. Any ideas?

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Thank you @yotano211 for your advices. I already knew the advanced bios et undervolt way but did not try this at the moment.
I was first wondering if my CPU power management was ok...being always >2,3Ghz does not seem right to me in a idle balanced mode, and I can't find why. Any ideas?
what power plan is the laptop set up on MSI dragon center.

And you should undervolt it, the ge75 didnt have good cooling. I had one with the i7 10750h but my heatsink came from the i9 model that had more heat pipes so it ran a little cooler.

If you are experienced you can put liquid metal TIM on the processor. I had coollaboratory liquid ultra for the TIM and the i9 heatsink, I was able to get full boost speed of 4.3ghz and still be at 89C.

EGD

Dragon center was on balanced power plan. XTU is greyed out although i unlocked settings in advanced bios, so i can't underclock. I have Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Minus Pad on the way, was afraid to try liquid metal before warranty expiration :p

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Dragon center was on balanced power plan. XTU is greyed out although i unlocked settings in advanced bios, so i can't underclock. I have Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Minus Pad on the way, was afraid to try liquid metal before warranty expiration :p
Clean out the heat sink, and apply new thermal paste. Undervolt the laptop in the bios. You can also limit what speed it tops out in the bios, you dont need XTU, do it in the bios.

System Name Custom built by Me
Processor Xeon E3-1230v2
Motherboard Asus P8z77-v-lk
Cooling Fans
Memory 8GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA 650 TI Boost superclocked
Storage 6.75 TB with 6 hard drives boot drive being a samsung m.2 256GB SATA III SSD
Display(s) 2 displays 1) Samsung 1)Dell
Case Coller Master HAF
Audio Device(s) 2) Kanto YU2 speakers 1) Yamaha 70W Active sub woofer 2) Bose rear speakers
Power Supply Cooler Master GTX 550
Mouse Microsoft wireless mobile mouse 4000
Keyboard Dell
Benchmark Scores CPU-z multi thread 1769 single thread 367 Passmark 3685.1 UserBench: Game 28%, Desk 62%, Work 40%
You've mentioned already about your power plan, but said something to the fact that is can not be changed? There are two settings for your CPU in your power profile. the first setting is how low you can go when the CPU is idle, that setting in windows should be set to 5%, in your case, or at least something much lower than 100%. then the next setting is how high it can go under load, and that setting should be 100%. the first setting will drop your CPU down, way down, when sitting idle. For instance my 8700K lowest idle setting is only 800Mhz. I just checked your CPU at CPU-World, and oddly enough, they do not show the low idle state for your CPU. The same web site shows my CPU 8700K to be able to drop down to 800Mhz. So idk what this means, either they just didn't display that setting by mistake, or your CPU doesn't drop down like mine does. Still double check the % in your power profile for idle CPU state. It sounds as though you have already done that, but you didn't mention it in detail when you mentioned your power profile. you could also lower your max CPU state to something less than 100%, but I feel what others have already mentioned, if you can under volt, that would be a better thing to do, so long as you don't lose any top end frequency, it's probably more doable then lowering your max %, because that for sure will lower your top end. But you may not have the ability to undervolt in your BIOS as laptop bios's tend to provide you with less control than desktops allow. Unless of course you have a gamming laptop. If so, then also check your setting for Intel® Speed Shift Technology, and Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology and make sure they are also turned on or enabled, these features are designed to provide power saving features when your CPU is not under load and matters greatly when running under battery power, so I would think those options should be available for you. Also make sure all your C-State features are also turned on in your BIOS. regardless of the bios features however, if your windows power profile has your processor minimum processor state set to 100% or close to that, you will constantly be at turbo max frequency. Change it to 5%. You may have to reboot in order for the changes take effect. If you are running Windows 11, you'll have to fist go to your control panel then power options as the power settings in Settings only shows you when the monitor turns off, and when your computer goes to sleep.
advanced.png
power profile.png