• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 and TOUGHFAN 12 Turbo Fans

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
A long awaited review heads your way today with the Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 and TOUGHFAN 12 Turbo fans! These fans aim to challenge the newer Phanteks offering and status quo of Noctua when it comes to case fans that are all about function and without any LEDs.

Show full review

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's great to see more fan reviews, hope they keep coming! On that note: any plans for testing the Arctic P12/P14? Would love to see them compared to these. At ⅓-½ the price of most high end fans but reportedly similar in performance and noise to the NF-A12x25 these are really interesting. I'm extremely happy with my P14s at least.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Whether this fan is good or not is irrelevant to me, because Thermaltake stole too much of the design from Noctua.
From the interview of Noctua by Niels Broekhuijsen of THG US in March (emphasis mine)

What Does Noctua Have to Say?​

Of course, we couldn’t write up this head-to-head test without consulting Noctua and Thermaltake to ask what they had to say about these similar fans.​
Noctua told us the following about the similarities between its spinners and Thermatake’s: “We're investigating legal options, but generally, we prefer to spend funds in further R&D rather than wasting them in international legal battles that often end fruitless.​
Thermaltake have a sordid and long-running history of stealing IP, a particularly sore spot was them effectively muscling CaseLabs out of business by stealing their product. Buy them if you must but ethically I refuse to touch them.

Thanks for providing a better airflow/noise comparison this time!

An interactive graph would circumvent the problem with a high number of fans in the same graph getting too visually cluttered.

Whether this fan is good or not is irrelevant to me, because Thermaltake stole too much of the design from Noctua.
From the interview of Noctua by Niels Broekhuijsen of THG US in March (emphasis mine)

Of course, we couldn’t write up this head-to-head test without consulting Noctua and Thermaltake to ask what they had to say about these similar fans.​
Noctua told us the following about the similarities between its spinners and Thermatake’s: “We're investigating legal options, but generally, we prefer to spend funds in further R&D rather than wasting them in international legal battles that often end fruitless.​
Thermaltake have a sordid and long-running history of stealing IP, a particularly sore spot was them effectively muscling CaseLabs out of business by stealing their product. Buy them if you must but ethically I refuse to touch them.
You must be young, Noctua themselves stole the design from Gentle Typhoon which is exactly the same as the NF-A12x25 and the Gentle Typhoons came out years before Noctua's knock off of their design.

Noctua "CANNOT" litigate against Thermaltake because Thermaltake will clean them up citing their (Noctua's) knock off of the Gentle Typhoons.

Sorry but that again a shitty review, no 2000 RPM or 2500 RPM test, cannot beleive what the problem here at Techpowerup about doing a complet review of Fan or Radiator for what they are intended to do. That a half of product review seriously. I miss good old review from
Martin's Liquid Lab . I dont comment frequently, but Dam when I see a butched review like that, it frustrate me. It nothings versus VSG, but Dam wake up please when you do a review a fan like this, test it for what it is.

Yeah would've have been nice to have stats even if just a few for 1800, 2000, and 2500 compared to others which are able to reach that range.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Erm noctua stole the design from Nideq/Scythe.

noctua is overrated.

Yeah would've have been nice to have stats even if just a few for 1800, 2000, and 2500 compared to others which are able to reach that range.
Same for me, TechpowerUp Fan & Watercooling radiator review are like doing a review about the newest Buggati Top Car and only test is braking distance and 0-100KM. No 0-200 KM, 0 to 300 KM or Top speed, because majority of country have 100 KM max speed limite . That just f****** stupid Imo.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Hey, that's some pretty good performance and noise. Not bad. Optimumtech said quality was a tad below the A12x25, but it basically performs like a A12x25. The single fan pricing is kinda stupid right now, but they are selling regular (non-Turbo) 2-pack for $55CAD. They even have a turquoise version on Amazon.

Glad to have the competition though. It's about time someone came around and knocked Noctua down a peg on their stupid A12x25 pricing that's perennially more expensive than even their industrial NF-A14s. Coming from an owner of P12 redux ($18), F12 ($30), A14 ($28), A14 Chromax ($33), A14 2000rpm industrial ($36), and A12x25 ($37). It's a nice fan, but honestly the hype is getting tiring, and so is the pricing.

But I dunno, for future case fans I'll probably still take the new Phanteks T30 though. Still undeniably the king, just hard to use on air coolers.

toughfan.png

Noctua also changed the final hub design on the Chromax. It looks like a weird nipple now instead of the classic GT look like the regular and prototype. Final insult is the $44cad price tag. For $44 it better be a IP67-rated A14 industrial, which it clearly is not.

ShadowNeko

How come on the graph it showed that between 20-28 CFM the noctua had lower noise than the phanteks but on your review of the phanteks in the noise normalized it says that the phanteks had more cfm/db than the noctua at the 750 and 1000 rpm which is within the 20-28cfm range?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
But I dunno, for future case fans

While being a reasonable forum member... why on earth you need high static pressure fan as case fan?

Lately for those things I spit on all PC fan makers and simply use Sunon Maglev series 120mm fans. They have various types and... cost 8€ each... Why on earth you should pay more for a case fan? And as a fact they are very good quality. I suspect their 38mm ones that cost like 10€ are fine on rads too... they lack PWM, yes... but motherboards are still providing voltage reg control, so no issues here.

I totally understand that matters get complicated much more when putting a FAN on a radiator, then everything changes noise, perf wise... but just like a case fan? Spending like 100€ for 3x fans? I have done it too, don't fret, but not anymore, as in the end they all have their weak sides that render that investment quite painful to bear.

Looks like Nidec Servo is the OEM for these (I'm just guessing based on the profile of the fan)

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
While being a reasonable forum member... why on earth you need high static pressure fan as case fan?

Lately for those things I spit on all PC fan makers and simply use Sunon Maglev series 120mm fans. They have various types and... cost 8€ each... Why on earth you should pay more for a case fan? And as a fact they are very good quality. I suspect their 38mm ones that cost like 10€ are fine on rads too... they lack PWM, yes... but motherboards are still providing voltage reg control, so no issues here.

I totally understand that matters get complicated much more when putting a FAN on a radiator, then everything changes noise, perf wise... but just like a case fan? Spending like 100€ for 3x fans? I have done it too, don't fret, but not anymore, as in the end they all have their weak sides that render that investment quite painful to bear.

Because in my cases intakes are always pulling through a grille panel, and for these future 120s I'm planning to accommodate 240mm rads around that time frame?

I'm not doubting that they aren't effective and reliable. The Phanteks fans use basically the same Vapo bearing from them. But I tend to switch my fans around quite a bit.

It comes down to $12 but at like 1000 units, I'm not buying more than 10 of them even if they were $5 each. packs of 36? Maybe not all of them are

Last edited:
Hey, that's some pretty good performance and noise. Not bad. Optimumtech said quality was a tad below the A12x25, but it basically performs like a A12x25. The single fan pricing is kinda stupid right now, but they are selling regular (non-Turbo) 2-pack for $55CAD. They even have a turquoise version on Amazon.

Glad to have the competition though. It's about time someone came around and knocked Noctua down a peg on their stupid A12x25 pricing that's perennially more expensive than even their industrial NF-A14s. Coming from an owner of P12 redux ($18), F12 ($30), A14 ($28), A14 Chromax ($33), A14 2000rpm industrial ($36), and A12x25 ($37). It's a nice fan, but honestly the hype is getting tiring, and so is the pricing.

But I dunno, for future case fans I'll probably still take the new Phanteks T30 though. Still undeniably the king, just hard to use on air coolers.

View attachment 222846

Noctua also changed the final hub design on the Chromax. It looks like a weird nipple now instead of the classic GT look like the regular and prototype. Final insult is the $44cad price tag. For $44 it better be a IP67-rated A14 industrial, which it clearly is not.

These are really not high static pressure at all. Over expensive garbage. Do yourself a favor and buy some good quality Delta or Nidec Servo fans (You could probably buy 4 high-performance Delta fans for the price of one of these and they will provide better static pressure and airflow at very low RPM's)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Sorry but that again a shitty review, no 2000 RPM or 2500 RPM test, cannot beleive what the problem here at Techpowerup about doing a complet review of Fan or Radiator for what they are intended to do. That a half of product review seriously. I miss good old review from
Martin's Liquid Lab . I dont comment frequently, but Dam when I see a butched review like that, it frustrate me. It nothings versus VSG, but Dam wake up please when you do a review a fan like this, test it for what it is.
It takes a very long time to get the data for fans in the anechoic chamber AND the mini wind tunnel separately, so I am only doing it till 1500 RPM because that's where most PC DIY coolers tend to max out at. I know you want more, but it won't be from my side. Thanks for the very kind words btw, always appreciated.

How come on the graph it showed that between 20-28 CFM the noctua had lower noise than the phanteks but on your review of the phanteks in the noise normalized it says that the phanteks had more cfm/db than the noctua at the 750 and 1000 rpm which is within the 20-28cfm range?
For the same reason I didn't make those graphs here. It's not the most accurate way to represent the data, and I had mentioned as much in the previous review, but it got blown out of proportion.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Lol, they even copied Noctua's sleeving... TT doesn't even try to hide what they do.

Also the housing sucks, no way to seal the gaps when used on a radiator. Der8auer recently showed that with an AIO from MSI, the insane amount of air being pushed though those gaps. Shows how much pressure is really needed to push through radiator fins.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
You must be young, Noctua themselves stole the design from Gentle Typhoon which is exactly the same as the NF-A12x25 and the Gentle Typhoons came out years before Noctua's knock off of their design.

Noctua "CANNOT" litigate against Thermaltake because Thermaltake will clean them up citing their (Noctua's) knock off of the Gentle Typhoons.
This argument is getting tiring. Sure, the difference between a derivative design and a copy is a sliding scale with tons and tons of gray area. But there are plenty of differentiators between the NF-A12x25 and the GT, while there are close to zero between the NF-A12x25 and these. Materials (LCP vs. more traditional plastic), blade shape (pointier/sharper blade shape), bearing type (SSO2 vs. double ball bearing), among others. There are still plenty of similarities - the overall blade shape and sweep, the number of blades, the hub-to-blade size ratio - but the NF-A12x25 is a clear evolution. This, on the other hand, takes the NF-A12x25's changes over the GT and copies them. The only real differentiator is the frame, whic is on the other hand copied from another manufacturer (sorry, can't quite remember who right now, it was mentioned in the last thread where this was discussed). Oh, and they removed Noctua's "flow acceleration channels" from the blade design. But this is far more of a direct copy of the NF-A12x25 than can be said of the NF-A12x25's relation to the GT.

At this point there are essentially three design styles for high pressure 120-140x25mm fans: the GT and its offspring, the server-like mid-sweep style (EK Vardar/Meltemi, various Delta fans, etc.), and the "massive blades" style (Arctic P12/P14, some others). For now, the two outer points seem to perform the best in terms of performace/noise though there are several good options on the market, and new materials and design tweaks continue to make small improvements. Everything else (Corsair's designs, for example) are quite clearly inferior, and more a middle-of-the-road balance of pressure and airflow if unobstructed, which ... doesn't rock my boat at least.

Last edited:
It's not the most accurate way to represent the data
Accurate is the wrong term though. It was an objectively incorrect way to represent the data. Accuracy is a measurement related term, and should not me used in this context.

You could make that type of comparison work, as in ”best airflow/noise @ x rpm”, but it would require a lot more than a single division arithmetic operation. There is a reason why logarithmic units should not be treated in the same way as linear ones.

Reactions: VSG
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Accurate is the wrong term though. It was an objectively incorrect way to represent the data. Accuracy is a measurement related term, and should not me used in this context.
Uhm ... "accurate" is indeed a term related to measurements, but it is a term equally related to representations of various kinds. Its use in this context is entirely appropriate.

Uhm ... "accurate" is indeed a term related to measurements, but it is a term equally related to representations of various kinds. Its use in this context is entirely appropriate.
I think he is right, honest is the word that sprung to my mind.

PS: you can be accurate in your goal, but it might miss the target deliberately.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think he is right, honest is the word that sprung to my mind.
"Honest" is an extremely loaded word, with some connotations that really have no place in something like this. Accurate is far more ... well, accurate. Fitting. Suited to the task. Of course, accuracy of what is the question, and that's open to debate - which metrics and comparisons are useful, illustrative and enlightening is highly variable, after all. An accurate representation can still be misleading too, given the right (or wrong) context or selection of data. But using "honest" would be deeply problematic, as it implies value judgements and calls into question the intentions of the writer in a way that is uncalled for, as well as opening the door for inaccurate representations, as the criteria are moved into an overly fuzzy and indeterminate area that nobody has any reasonable overview of - the author's beliefs.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

You could make that type of comparison work, as in ”best airflow/noise @ x rpm”, but it would require a lot more than a single division arithmetic operation. There is a reason why logarithmic units should not be treated in the same way as linear ones.
Accurate was used in terms of representation btw, as Valantar pointed out. But of course I see the scope for misunderstanding here.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
PS: you can be accurate in your goal, but it might miss the target deliberately.
Absolutely. But then you're talking about an entirely different question than what we're discussing here: whether or not the author is consciously misrepresenting things. This is of course something to be aware of and on the lookout for, as is the appearance of unconscious biases, but asking for "honest" representations doesn't combat that in any way. Unconscious biases are honest. Honesty also has a strong moral undertone (of 'doing good'), which means that someone can feel more honest when misleading someone if they believe they are ultimately leading them in the right direction, whatever they believe that to be.

So: "honest" is a really poorly suited word for this task.

Unconscious biases are honest
I think not.
someone can feel more honest when misleading someone if they believe they are ultimately leading them in the right direction
Cheats don't feel honest, or do they? I have never seen it used in this context. Have you read brave new world or something?

honest" would be deeply problematic, as it implies value judgements
No, honesty implies humility which is the opposite of pride which is a virtue, but corrupt. When you are honest, you are implying not your virtue, but selflessness of it.
I see you haven't played ultima.