• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU upgrade worth the expense?

• Thread starter Deleted member 74752
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 74752

I currently have a 2400G in my daily driver and I am considering swapping it out for a 5600G. Enough improvement to justify the added cost? X570 mb and 16GB of memory in this machine.

I currently have a 2400G in my daily driver and I am considering swapping it out for a 5600G. Enough improvement to justify the added cost? X570 mb and 16GB of memory in this machine.
What is the primary uses of your PC?

Amazing you system accepts the actual CPU.
Thought the 5xx series requires 3xxx and greater

D

Deleted member 74752

It's a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 WiFi motherboard. asrock mb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5600G is a much faster CPU, there's no doubt about that. For a gaming PC it would be a solid upgrade, but your use case would run fine on a potato.

D

Deleted member 74752

Ended up with the 5700G...could not get the 5600G to boot in my AsRock mb. Bought a ASUS mb that has a flash bios button and everything else was a breeze. This chip is a little beast with snappy performance. I undervolted it the same as my 3700X and it runs cooler in all applications using the same Wraith Prism cooler. This is what I should have started with in the beginning, plus I now have a back-up pc for Fortnite (which it runs wonderfully).Desktop.jpg

D

Deleted member 74752

Why undervolt though?
I did the same to my 3700X to control the heat and figured the 5700G would act much the same. I have a huge Noctua cooler on hand, but it was such a overwelming fixture in my case. Lowering the voltage allowed me to run the Wraith Prism cooler and I love the way it looks as well. Not certain how much of a hit the cpu takes undervolting...I rarely overclock anymore as I don't do much that is highly demanding. I'll run Cinebench here in a bit on the 5700G and we can see what the temps/performance provide.

I did the same to my 3700X to control the heat and figured the 5700G would act much the same. I have a huge Noctua cooler on hand, but it was such a overwelming fixture in my case. Lowering the voltage allowed me to run the Wraith Prism cooler and I love the way it looks as well. Not certain how much of a hit the cpu takes undervolting...I rarely overclock anymore as I don't do much that is highly demanding. I'll run Cinebench here in a bit on the 5700G and we can see what the temps/performance provide.
I mean the Wraith Prism can handle both of those on stock just fine, not like undervolting's needed. But it may allow it to run at a lower RPM and thus decrease the infamous noise it generates, so understandable.

You might see higher temps on the Zen 3 part but that's just because Zen 3 is designed to redline in temperatures in order to get the highest boost clocks possible. I used to be worried about mid 80's during rendering on my 5900X until I saw it's boosting all core at around 4.6 GHz and that it's normal.

D

Deleted member 74752

Here is the Cinebench for the 5700G along with temps. The gpu maxed out at 43 degrees with only a mild overclock.Cinebench temps - score.jpgCinebench.jpg

Here is the 3700X gamer for comparison...3700X Cinebench temp - score.jpg3700X Cinebench.jpg

To sum it up...yes, this was definitely worth the effort and expense for my needs. The system is now so much more pleasurable and capable to use...I can recommend the 5700G without a doubt. :toast: