• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MediaTek's Pentonic 2000 is World's first TV SoC with H.266 support

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
With ever increasing computational needs from TV SoCs, as we're moving towards higher resolutions and refresh rates, MediaTek is getting ready for the next generation of 8K TVs with its new Pentonic 2000 SoC. This is the world's first TV SoC to support the new H.266 video codec standard, which is an evolution of the H.265 intended for 8K content.

The Pentonic 2000 is fabbed using TSMC's N7 node and it's the first commercial TV SoC to be made on this manufacturing process according to MediaTek. The SoC supports 8K resolution content at up to 120 Hz with MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation) and has an integrated AI engine to help improve scaling from lower resolutions. MediaTek also claims that the Pentonic 2000 features the "industry's most powerful CPU and GPU" in a smart TV SoC, without giving away any actual details, although it the SoC does support UFS 3.1 storage, which suggests that we're looking at a recent Arm Cortex-A7x based SoC at the very least.

Outside of H.266 support - also known as VVC (Versatile Video Coding) - the Pentonic 2000 will decode AV1 which has become the defacto standard for Netflix and many other streaming services, H.265, VP9, AVS3 and most likely also many older codecs. MediaTek has also added support for WiFi 6E, 5G as an option and obviously HDMI 2.1 to the Pentonic 2000. As you would expect, there's also support for voice control with support for up to four directional microphones, although MediaTek doesn't specify which voice assistants that are supported. Another party trick on offer is 16-screen picture-in-picture support, although this seems more useful for some commercial applications than watching multiple shows at once. Don't expect TV makers to be touting the fact that they're using the Pentonic 2000 in their TV's next year though, as they're likely to call it something else, or not mention it all.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Doesn't Sony use MediaTek for their TV SoCs?
Sony tends to do their own chips for their TVs.
This is more for tier two brands.
Keep in mind that MediaTek bought MStar some years ago, who was/is the leader in low-cost TV chips.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
It's really hard to get excited about H.266 as not much will be encoded in it for a while, and the compression savings only really apply to extremely high resolutions. At 1440p or lower the space savings are unexciting over H.265.

If 8K was a must-have feature, the reactions would be different but most people I know with the (now standard) 4K TV resolution stick to 1080p because either the bandwidth requirements of 4K aren't high enough to be worth it, the 4K encoding is too compressed to be worth it, the 4K option is paywalled for a price premium and not worth it, or the original content itself simply isn't sharp enough or in-focus enough to take advantage of the extra pixels.

Sports, maybe, might be where it's needed but I think 1080p120 is better for most sports than extra resolution as they tend to contain either static images where focus is on the tracking of a tiny ball (eg tennis) or they have very rapid panning/zooming camerawork and framerate is way more important than resolution.

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
Unnecessary insult
Sony tends to do their own chips for their TVs.
This is more for tier two brands.
Keep in mind that MediaTek bought MStar some years ago, who was/is the leader in low-cost TV chips.
Sony uses Mediatek, just like LG, Samsung and i believe panasonic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
He's not entirely wrong, seems like Sony does use their own thing for some products :
Sony's new BRAVIA TVs pack advanced AI with Cognitive Processor XR - SlashGear
1637603456420.png

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Software W10 LTSC 2021
Are you sure these are not Sony marketing branding. I have an "X1" chip in my a few years old Sony TV but it is a MediaTek Soc when you actually let the software read the SoC ID
Its the proprietary algorithm for rescaling/tone-mapping. Again, samsung, lg, panasonic, etc, do the same thing, they all have some kind of "image processor"

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Its the proprietary algorithm for rescaling/tone-mapping. Again, samsung, lg, panasonic, etc, do the same thing, they all have some kind of "image processor"
are You sure that it's just a software ? They are saying several times that it's hardware :confused:. It seems to be similar to what they are doing with their Bionz in their camera. It's an actual chip made by them that execute an algorithm. They might use both at the same time

Last edited:
are You sure that it's just a software ? They are saying several times that it's hardware :confused:. It seems to be similar to what they are doing with their Bionz in their camera. It's an actual chip made by them that execute an algorithm. They might use both at the same time
In my case it is 100% branding. The TV is advertised as having X1 chip, etc. but to any software that is able to display the SoC informaiont, like CPU-Z, the SoC is MediaTek. It might be a custom design as limited information for the particular SoC was available online. I cannot confirm that is the case with the newer SoC, but mine is not that ancient either. It is running Android TV and in May received a new OS version update. That is full OS version update, not just a minor update. As far as I am aware, Sony does not have SoC design devision, so if they are not using MediaTek anymore, they are definately using one of the other SoC manufacturers.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Pretty sure LG isn't using mediatek but their own soc, at least they don't have the same limitations that we see with other brands.
Sony had XR processor and a separate mediatek co-processor, since x900h its all handled by a single mediatek chip.

It's really hard to get excited about H.266 as not much will be encoded in it for a while, and the compression savings only really apply to extremely high resolutions. At 1440p or lower the space savings are unexciting over H.265.

If 8K was a must-have feature, the reactions would be different but most people I know with the (now standard) 4K TV resolution stick to 1080p because either the bandwidth requirements of 4K aren't high enough to be worth it, the 4K encoding is too compressed to be worth it, the 4K option is paywalled for a price premium and not worth it, or the original content itself simply isn't sharp enough or in-focus enough to take advantage of the extra pixels.

Sports, maybe, might be where it's needed but I think 1080p120 is better for most sports than extra resolution as they tend to contain either static images where focus is on the tracking of a tiny ball (eg tennis) or they have very rapid panning/zooming camerawork and framerate is way more important than resolution.

The nvidia shield upscaler probably produces better results than receiving a low bit rate 4k signal anyway.

I found this interesting as I didn't even know H.266 was a thing, and regardless of resultion better compression is usually always good when HW support comes but as everyone moves to AV1 I don't know how much traction H.266 will be able to gain, at least they seem to have learned from the mistakes of H.265 and made it royalty free (at least in some ways)

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Software W10 LTSC 2021
Pretty sure LG isn't using mediatek but their own soc, at least they don't have the same limitations that we see with other brands.
Sony had XR processor and a separate mediatek co-processor, since x900h its all handled by a single mediatek chip.
True, seems like at the very least LG isnt using mediatek branded soc

Im betting its just hardware accelerated, using the soc's GPU and ISP

halo9

Are you sure these are not Sony marketing branding. I have an "X1" chip in my a few years old Sony TV but it is a MediaTek Soc when you actually let the software read the SoC ID
Yep spot on. This is just Sony marketing doing what they do, selling a TV. Their latest and greatest the A90J oled uses a MediaTek MT5895 (MT9950) soc. Panasonic’s best, the JZ2000 uses a MediaTek MT5816 soc. Even though both tout using their “own chips” in marketing material. Though the chip is only half the story, the software plays a part in controlling things too which is where tweaking comes into play. LG do use their own chip which is why they probably aren’t having as many HDMI 2.1 issues like the mediatek chips are.

LG has their own in-house solution. That is why all four HDMI 2.1 ports worked properly from 2019 onwards, whereas other TVs with MediaTek SoC struggled for a few years to implement it properly.