• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are the cons of using a 560mm radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm okay with being wrong. I cannot be the arbiter in a topic I know nothing about. I won't risk being wrong though. Those are two different entities. That is just what I read. No need for conflict, that is just a difference of opinion.

I didn't want to hurt water cooler people's feelings.
PS: "dirt cheap rads" might be straw that broke the camel's back. < this is what I said.
That's fine. But instead of saying car rads leak, you should say "I have no knowledge of this particular topic" instead of spreading falsehood.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The larger the radiator, the greater the volume of coolant that the pump will have to push, therefore a greater strain on it possibly leading to it's early demise.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
24 fans? My rad costs same as 10 Phanteks. I'd rather buy a second rad instead of nailing pull push fans to it.

Hmm, will having another rad outweight buying more fans?
I don't see any problem building a Loop with more cooling capacity than what you need :oops:
I have 2x 480 and 1x 420 with 13 fans just to cool a 3080 and an 10700K:cool:

P.s i didn't go with 24 fans just because they were expensive :laugh:
More rad, less fan, that's my motto

The larger the radiator, the greater the volume of coolant that the pump will have to push, therefore a greater strain on it possibly leading to it's early demise.
I was using a gpu block in the same place that I installed the rad now.
I had to rev up my pump for that block. But when I replaced the block with this rad, I revved back.

The rad causes less strain than a gpu block, which is amazing.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
The rad causes less strain than a gpu block, which is amazing.
a bit old (and used a cpu block) but yeah:
wh6YiCa.jpg

leUKAv0.jpg

Reactions: Lei
That's fine. But instead of saying car rads leak, you should say "I have no knowledge of this particular topic" instead of spreading falsehood.
Well, don't look for affirmation. I'm just being reasonable. Anything dirt cheap, is going to be dirt... and cheap. :)

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Water Cooler SilverStone PF360-ARGB
Memory HyperX Fury, 32GB (4x8GB), 3600MHz, DDR4, CL17, HX436C17FB3K4/32
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT Sapphire Nitro+ OC
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 34"
Power Supply Sharkoon 850W, 80 Plus Gold, SilentStorm CoolZero
Software Windows 11 21H2 Build 22000.318
Does it take off?
Sorry couldn't resist :p
Didn't even know that there was such large radiators. The only con I can think is flow restriction and cost.

Does it take off?
Didn't even know that there was such large radiators. The only con I can think is flow restriction and cost.
Flow restriction is water inertia yes? It might indicate bend radius more than anything...

Does it take off?
Still waiting for the first person to suggest a truck radiator, you beat me to it.:laugh::toast:

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Does it take off?

Over the years ive seen a couple of builds with those huge square shaped radiators and these had 2 pumps on either side, inflow and outflow. I'm guessing this helps to manage flow/pressure to get everything working properly?

When you speak of flow restriction, are you referring to the pump not being sufficient to push large amounts of liquid through the loop? (just interested to know a little more).

Over the years ive seen a couple of builds with those huge square shaped radiators and these had 2 pumps on either side, inflow and outflow. I'm guessing this helps to manage flow/pressure to get everything working properly?

When you speak of flow restriction, are you referring to the pump not being sufficient to push large amounts of liquid through the loop? (just interested to know a little more).
He means load. Don't think of it like a car. Load on the motor is different than your gas pedal which just makes it accelerate.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
Hi,
This is wrong. Rad must not be at lower altitude than pump.

Put the pump inside the res, then you enjoy 3 benefits:
1- coolant muffles the noise
2- pump never runs dry
3- don't have to worry about placing the rad higher than pump

1638838291671.jpeg

I didn't have to rev up my pump after I added this rad to the loop. see this post. This rad has less flow restriction than my gpu block.
Does it take off?
Actually flow is great. I was worried too, but was pleasantly surprised.
Think about it this way : If flow of a 480 rad is good, how could a few more inches dramatically bump up the strain?
EK always suggests 480 (quad 12) so three more inches shouldn't slip anything away from optimal

about cost: most shops want to clean this up from their shelf and will give you a huge discount because it doesn't fit inside any chassis and you know what : tons of excellent stuff on sale because chassis says nah.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Put the pump inside the res, then you enjoy 3 benefits:
1- coolant muffles the noise
2- pump never runs dry
3- don't have to worry about placing the rad higher than pump

View attachment 227922

Just when you think you've seen it all.... then this happens: Pump in the Res and a "pizza box" holding the worlds weight on its shoulders.

I have a little understanding of how this works, but no experience at all with these DIY/custom loops. Mostly been a AIO/air cooler runner.

Would you care to share:

1. What pump are you using?

2. What have you got sitting on the CPU?

3. What CPU are you running (and GPU if liquid cooled)? Temps?

4. How long have you had this setup up-and-running and any problems to date? Any potential long term draw backs?

One of these days I wanna get my hands dirty with a custom loop hence these questions :p

(last but not least, was the pizza good? lol)

Last edited:
  • Haha
System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
Lei, that custom loop looks like my first liquid cooling setup only I used a bucket as a reservoir.

They can leak...
Any liquid cooling setup has the risk of leaking but if it's outside the case it won't matter. Also as someone else already pointed out vehicle rads are manufactured to withstand a physical beating when mounted in their destination vehicle which is why I recommend dirt bike rads as they're among the strongest out there.

The only downside to using a large vehicle radiator is the connections and interior pipe size are generally larger with vehicle rads and can require a larger pump and some adapters to change from cpu/gpu water block to the larger rad fittings, but the benefits of using a larger setup are mainly that your water temperature rises very slowly if at all so your components will stay at room temperature instead of heating up like a small aio designed to fit inside a computer case.

Low quality post by Blue4130
The only downside to using a large vehicle radiator is the connections and interior pipe size are generally larger with vehicle rads
I'm sure you know why legionella develops in water systems when you don't flush your water heating utilities above 70°C periodically.
What joke? He is serious.
You know what is fun? Being serious around jokesters;
Effect-of-water-velocity-on-various-fouling-mechanisms-at-constant-temperature.png
"Effect of water velocity on various fouling mechanisms at constant temperature"
Effect-of-temperature-on-various-fouling-mechanisms-at-constant-velocity.png"Effect of temperature on various fouling mechanisms at constant velocity"
I'm sure you guys are here to challenge the dow chemical company guide on coolants.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Hi ThaiTaffy
I spend 95% of my life abroad, so if I reduce to a laptop, the nomad lifestyle I have, then I'd never have a real PC in my life.

It's not fair to be using a computer for 6 hours everyday, but have it so weak that can operate on batteries.

I rather have it crushed in an airplane, rather than not having it at all.

Sorry, I think all laptops fall into toy category. Anything unplugged with batteries is a toy. Life is short so rebel.
There's plenty of laptops that would give you real PC feels.

You can get ones with desktop 16 core CPUs in them.

If you need upgradability then in today's market buying a whole laptop is often cheaper than buying a gpu. Sure you might loose 15% performance compared to the desktop equivalent but you get a whole system.

You can buy a Lenovo legion 17" with a 5800h, rtx 3070, 1 tb nvme, 16gb of ram , 144hz screen etc etc for the same second hand market price of a 3070. (£1300 average eBay price for 3070)

We live in strange times

You know what is fun? Being serious around jokesters;
View attachment 227932
"Effect of water velocity on various fouling mechanisms at constant temperature"
View attachment 227934"Effect of temperature on various fouling mechanisms at constant velocity"
I'm sure you guys are here to challenge the dow chemical company guide on coolants.
the jokes are on you.
IHS ESDU recently published its latest ‘User Guide’ to fouling in heat exchange systems, for systems with fresh water as the coolant. ESDU 07006 [1] is the third in a group, following the development of the Crude Oil Fouling User Guide [2] issued in 2000 and the Seawater Fouling User Guide [3] issued in 2004. ESDU 07006 was developed by IHS ESDU ov...
. . .
Crystalline fouling . This includes the deposition of calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate and other salts that have a solubility that diminishes with increasing temperature, leading to crystallisation of deposits of the salts on the heat exchanger tubes. Corrosion fouling . Some metals are oxidised to produce insulating layers of oxides on the tubes. Biological fouling . A whole range of types of biological growths form on heat exchanger tubes in seawater. The organisms deposited range from bacteria and algae to mussels, barnacles etc. Particulate fouling . Seawater may contain many types of silt, mud, sand or other finely divided particles that may settle on the heat exchanger surfaces and insulate them, providing a fouling resistance. Of the above mechanisms, the ones presenting the most problems for seawater systems are corrosion fouling and biological fouling.
nether of those graphs apply using oil and sea water. what would and does happens to distilled water mixed with methanol, glycerol, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are different for each.

the jokes are on you.

nether of those graphs apply using oil and sea water.
Yes, says it right there. Not about oil, nor sea water. Perhaps you read it differently.
what would and does happens to distilled water mixed with methanol, glycerol, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are different for each.
Since you are confused, glycols are biocides that foul due to the temperature as they break down while water becomes more ionised and galvanic corrosion starts. You need half the coolant in the form of glycols to attack both corrosion and biofouling since glycols are apolar, like alcohol.

Yes, says it right there. Not about oil, nor sea water. Perhaps you read it differently.

Since you are confused, glycols are biocides that foul due to the temperature as they break down while water becomes more ionised and galvanic corrosion starts. You need half the coolant in the form of glycols to attack both corrosion and biofouling since glycols are apolar, like alcohol
I see what you appear to not.
A whole range of types of biological growths form on heat exchanger tubes in seawater. The organisms deposited range from bacteria and algae to mussels, barnacles etc.
You are misunderstanding your comparison of an apple to oranges, pineapples, grapes . . .

Show a Citation that falls clearly in the specifications needed for operating in PC water cooling; Low Pressure (under 6psi) 20c to 60c for temps etc, What mistake you are making is looking at possible casualties of a rocket ship when building a model airplane.
440px-Raygun_Gothic_Rocketship_-_Burning_Man_2009_(cropped).jpg
!=
http---com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.png

I see what you appear to not.

You are misunderstanding your comparison of an apple to oranges, pineapples, grapes . . .

Show a Citation that falls clearly in the specifications needed for operating in PC water cooling; Low Pressure (under 6psi) 20c to 60c for temps etc, What mistake you are making is looking at possible casualties of a rocket ship when building a model airplane.
View attachment 227961 != View attachment 227960
Stop astroturfing and trying to see what sticks. First you cite a wrong quote and then try to cut that out and fit your meaning. This is your quote, not mine;

IHS ESDU recently published its latest ‘User Guide’ to fouling in heat exchange systems, for systems with fresh water as the coolant. ESDU 07006 [1] is the third in a group, following the development of the Crude Oil Fouling User Guide [2] issued in 2000 and the Seawater Fouling User Guide [3] issued in 2004. ESDU 07006 was developed by IHS ESDU ov...
. . .
Crystalline fouling . This includes the deposition of calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate and other salts that have a solubility that diminishes with increasing temperature, leading to crystallisation of deposits of the salts on the heat exchanger tubes. Corrosion fouling . Some metals are oxidised to produce insulating layers of oxides on the tubes. Biological fouling . A whole range of types of biological growths form on heat exchanger tubes in seawater. The organisms deposited range from bacteria and algae to mussels, barnacles etc. Particulate fouling .
Seawater may contain many types of silt, mud, sand or other finely divided particles that may settle on the heat exchanger surfaces and insulate them, providing a fouling resistance. Of the above mechanisms, the ones presenting the most problems for seawater systems are corrosion fouling and biological fouling.
Let me remind you it looks a bit weird when you ask citation to top dow chemical company who makes the glycols for your coolants.
And one more thing: I don't need to prove anything. The onus is on you to prove why AIO makers who manufacture these loops and dow chemical company who fills them don't know anything about their core business instead of some trolls who have no conception of feasibility, nor benefit to cost ratio, nor operational parameters of cooling systems which can advocate totally crazy suggestions without any remorse whatsoever.
Let me remind you, your so called dirt bike rad could contain aluminum(which is why it is dirt cheap instead of copper) and it will form a nice sacrificial anode galvanic corrosion with your copper plate.
I get it you guys come from the woods, but try to acclimate.

PS: I'm okay with you being challenged in understanding this. What is not okay is you being maligned and trying to cause harm to people and trolling people into believing it. That is not okay and I'm an "anti-troll expert"(it is an alias I used when at OCN).

Last edited:
Stop astroturfing and trying to see what sticks. First you cite a wrong quote and then try to cut that out and fit your meaning. This is your quote, not mine;

Let me remind you it looks a bit weird when you ask citation to top dow chemical company who makes the glycols for your coolants.
And one more thing: I don't need to prove anything. The onus is on you to prove why AIO makers who manufacture these loops and dow chemical company who fills them don't know anything about their core business instead of some trolls who have no conception of feasibility, nor benefit to cost ratio, nor operational parameters of cooling systems which can advocate totally crazy suggestions without any remorse whatsoever.
Let me remind you, your so called dirt bike rad could contain aluminum(which is why it is dirt cheap instead of copper) and it will form a nice sacrificial anode galvanic corrosion with your copper plate.
I get it you guys come from the woods, but try to acclimate.

PS: I'm okay with you being challenged in understanding this. What is not okay is you being maligned and trying to cause harm to people and trolling people into believing it. That is not okay and I'm an "anti-troll expert"(it is an alias I used when at OCN).
Dow? The first words are:
IHS ESDU recently published
Read who the authors are:
Capture.PNG

Dow had nothing to do with the research.

Now the burden is on you to prove that a "Large Vehicle's Radiator" will leak citing relative testing. Whatever is with AIOs, dirt bikes or whatever are not where the goal posts stand.

Do YOU understand? That is without the passive aggressive attacks on my intelligence or intent.

Dow? The first words are:

Read who the authors are:
View attachment 227963
Dow had nothing to do with the research.

Now the burden is on you to prove that a "Large Vehicle's Radiator" will leak citing relative testing. Whatever is with AIOs, dirt bikes or whatever are not where the goal posts stand.

Do YOU understand? That is without the passive aggressive attacks on my intelligence or intent.
I cannot bridge the gap. I assume you think the references are related to dow. Which is not the case. Who said anything about a single set of data? I didn't include that since I don't want more trolling. Anybody with the slightest positive inclination can find it except the dunning krueger effect displaying trolls here.

I cannot bridge the gap. I assume you think the references are related to dow. Which is not the case.
Of course it's not but you keep referring to them as if they were.
Who said anything about a single set of data? I didn't include that since I don't want more trolling.
Science. If it holds true then no amount of trolling will discredit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.