• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC not working with graphics card i bought from eBay

I put a graphics card i bought from eBAY in my Pc, It is properly seated like it should be with in PCI slot, With the PCIe connector facing up to the fan and the clip on the bottom to the circuit board.I turned it on all i got was a flashing orange light on the front of the case.No fans spinning .HDMI cabal plugged in to the graphics card and the monitor of course.I disconnected the Pcie cabal and it is working. o_O I have had the graphics card for sometime not ,so if it isn,t working i can,t send it back.:(I know i should have tried it earlier.:(Hopefully
someone can tell me what the problem is.The seller said it was in “Perfect working order..”

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
lmao I actually refer to that "life finds a way" quote often. that movie is full of memorable lines actually!

inline with the Jurassic Park theme, I think the comment would be more like...
"Oh, it seems to be stuck?? welp, looks like I'm gonna have to use these monster triceps to force it in boys! everyone stand clear! hold on to your butts!"
*tips baseball cap* yup, that's not going anywhere

Is this the right way to connect the connecter,?. When I connected the PSU 4 pin connecter the wrong way after nothing happened, I just plugged it the other way round with no problem at all. Of course, there is no way of telling whether the GPU was working when he sent it to me.
Wait, hold on, what... 4 pin connector? it's supposed to be 6, not 4, you're not... you're not using a molex adaptor... right?

Wait, hold on, what... 4 pin connector? it's supposed to be 6, not 4, you're not... you're not using a molex adaptor... right?
Sorry i

Sorry Caroline I got that wrong 6 pin.

I have taken it out and put the old one back in to remove the drivers for it. Funny enough the HDMI cabal is working at present. o_OHere it is clip facing up to the fan. And in the slot.No fan spinning, :(I should have tested it when I got it.I got it more than 2 months ago. To late do anything now.:( You win some and lose some.
Those pictures show us that the card is inserted correctly in the PCIe slot and that the power is connected properly, but they don't show us the condition of the card. Can you take pictures of the card out of the system and from all angles? This will help us determine if there is a physical problem with the card that might be the cause of your issue.

Those pictures show us that the card is inserted correctly in the PCIe slot and that the power is connected properly, but they don't show us the condition of the card. Can you take pictures of the card out of the system and from all angles? This will help us determine if there is a physical problem with the card that might be the cause of your issue.
Before that, I connected it the other way round with the clip on the circuit board :(
That's why the people on here have said that has killed the card, an expensive thing for me to have done.:( I won't make the same mistake again.:) The card looks fine. The PCIe connection looks fine to me. :)Hope the photos are good enougho_O.

Attachments

• DSC00318.JPG
    DSC00318.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC00322.JPG
    DSC00322.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC00321.JPG
    DSC00321.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC00326.JPG
    DSC00326.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 58
  • DSC00325.JPG
    DSC00325.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I feel your pain, and it shouldn't be so easy to plug things in backward.

Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Storage A lot
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Try the card on a different computer with a different power supply, other than that there's no way to know if the card is dead without proper tools and analysis.

Memory 16GB DDR3
The connector soldering looks weird

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 34
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Storage A lot
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
The connector soldering looks weird
There's nothing there, just the pads. Depending on the surface components you could add the extra power connector to overclock, I remember doing that mod on a 6770 back in the day and also in a 750Ti, the PCBs were the same as in better models so you could simply solder the connector, replace a few caps (if needed), tweak the BIOS a bit and the card would be able to achieve higher clocks.
The nvidia was an MSI and the ATi an ASUS iirc.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Makes sense; thanks for the clarification.

I feel your pain, and it shouldn't be so easy to plug things in backward.
Thanks, Andy:)I feel an idiot for doing it.:( It is an expensive thing to do,55 pounds down the drain. :(I should have got one from CEX there Guaranteed for 24 months. What I am going to do is ask them to test it for me, the manager in my local branch seems a decent guy. I will say to him if it does not work. then I will buy one from them.
I am not expecting it to work if the people on here have got that right.
They have got the next card up from the one I have 7850 to 7870.

Try the card on a different computer with a different power supply, other than that there's no way to know if the card is dead without proper tools and analysis.
This is a new PSU. o_O Like I said earlier I will go to CEX and ask them to test it and say to them if it does not work I will buy one from them. I should have done that in the first place. And the fact that I know it will work as all their stuff is tested, and a 24-month guarantee. :)

Last edited:
Before that, I connected it the other way round with the clip on the circuit board
Yup, that's your problem, sadly. Card is dead. By reversing the power connectors, you ran 12v through the ground plane. You're likely very lucky you didn't kill the rest of your system with it.
I will go to CEX and ask them to test it
That's a good idea.

Yup, that's your problem, sadly. Card is dead. By reversing the power connectors, you ran 12v through the ground plane. You're likely very lucky you didn't kill the rest of your system with it.

That's a good idea.
Thanks for that Lex. I want do that again that's for sure :)I will sell it on eBay sold for parts not working.Cex do repairs but I can,t see that they repair GPU cards. :(
If they can,t repair it, there will be no charge. They can give a quote on how much it will be. I don,t want to pay more than 45 pounds as if they had one in stock it would only cost 42 pounds. Minimum repair costs Game conceals £28. Mobile Phones £36, that seems a lot for a minimum repair for a phone?

Last edited: