• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have the worlds biggest super computers ever been used to try to figure out new concrete mixtures for roads/buildings?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I know of only a few use case scenarios that super computers have been used for, mainly climate modeling, etc.

I was wondering with that kind of compute power, would it be possible to code a program to utilize all that power to test out various plants/herbs and traditional concrete mixtures, to see if you can make something more long lasting or solid (I don't know transportation terminology here sorry)... but I think you are getting my overall question here.

Or so super computers simply not work this way? Any thoughts at all welcome, was just thinking about this tonight and curious... what if we could solve all the road repair problems overnight, what if it is some sort of combination we simply haven't tried, I know things have been tried, but a super computer would be able to try everything... rather quickly I imagine. There are so many variables at play, I wonder if its just something humans have been missing... some ingredient we are missing to make roads withstand the freezing and unfreezing weather, the giant semi weight, etc.

There has to be some kind of combo of things from the periodic table of elements or plants or something we are missing... and since the variables are infinite, do you think there is any kind of coding that could be created to figure this out? We figure out concrete we kind of solve climate change, cause a green long lasting concrete would also allow for the expansion of other green energies, etc.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL
well i am not a construction engineer or architect. but in germany research is being done on concrete that consists of a different composition (e.g. carbon in part) in order to be more durable and climate neutrality will become the main focus.

sooner or later, the sand from which concrete is largely made will run out.

you don't need a supercomputer to figure this out. but i'm very curious to hear what the next speakers have to say, because one thing is for sure: we're all learning something new here every day. and other countries are also pursuing partly different strategies to make concrete even "smarter".

concrete GIF

Space Lynx

Astronaut
well i am not a construction engineer or architect. but in germany research is being done on concrete that consists of a different composition (e.g. carbon in part) in order to be more durable and climate neutrality will become the main focus.

sooner or later, the sand from which concrete is largely made will run out.

you don't need a supercomputer to figure this out. but i'm very curious to hear what the next speakers have to say, because one thing is for sure: we're all learning something new here every day. and other countries are also pursuing partly different strategies to make concrete even "smarter".

concrete GIF

pretty sure I read one time that ancient Rome mixed some kind of plant in with their concrete, which is part of the reason it was so strong, but that plant/knowledge have been lost to history. I don't know if that is true or not... but yes concrete/soil based transportation is not sustainable unless we figure out something soon.

that is why I was thinking hyperloop might not be a bad idea, everything has plastic shielding in a hyperloop, so no wind/rust/water entropy, much longer lifespan. but no one seems interested in that other than Richard Branson billionaire, and I don't know how serious he is taking it. /shrug

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
pretty sure I read one time that ancient Rome mixed some kind of plant in with their concrete
it was not a plant but volcanic ash that produced a special strength together with salt water.

the video is german but the researchers of the university of california have solved this "mystery" maybe you can post an english video.
then it will be better understandable for almost everyone here... ;)

Sci Fi Lol GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, think of it along these terms:

1) Don't you think that if we could cure cancer/diabetes/alzheimers or any number of other serious illnesses, we would have ? We COULD have, but then big pharma would stand to lose gazillions of $$, and we can't have that now, can we ?

2) We COULD have had electric cars/trucks/planes ect 40+ years ago, but the petrol czars and car makers would have also lost gazillions of $$ too, and we surely can't have that now can we ?

Soooo, coming up with some super-duper, eco-friendly road surface materials would put a hurtin on many other big name industries, therefore those options will go unutilized, at least until it becomes absolutely necessary, and the above mentioned industries can find a way to profit from it......

suks but it's the truth :(

Space Lynx

Astronaut

1) Don't you think that if we could cure cancer/diabetes/alzheimers or any number of other serious illnesses, we would have ? We COULD have, but then big pharma would stand to lose gazillions of $$, and we can't have that now, can we ?

2) We COULD have had electric cars/trucks/planes ect 40+ years ago, but the petrol czars and car makers would have also lost gazillions of $$ too, and we surely can't have that now can we ?

Soooo, coming up with some super-duper, eco-friendly road surface materials would put a hurtin on many other big name industries, therefore those options will go unutilized, at least until it becomes absolutely necessary, and the above mentioned industries can find a way to profit from it......

I disagree with your assessment, the reason electric cars never took off was range issues, and the Model-T just obliterated them. Even in 2022 the reason I bought a Corolla instead of a Nissan Leaf, was range issues. 127 mile range is not much, and those batteries will need replaced every 7-10 years, and the mining for those batteries is just about as bad as mining oil, less carbon I admit, but still.

As far as medicine goes, I agree mostly, but also medicine is such a massive field, if some random genius in a random country figured something out, I am pretty sure it would be hard to stop that kind of momentum, especially if said scientist posted their findings in detail and the word got out.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I disagree with your assessment, the reason electric cars never took off was range issues, and the Model-T just obliterated them. Even in 2022 the reason I bought a Corolla instead of a Nissan Leaf, was range issues. 127 mile range is not much, and those batteries will need replaced every 7-10 years, and the mining for those batteries is just about as bad as mining oil, less carbon I admit, but still.

As far as medicine goes, I agree mostly, but also medicine is such a massive field, if some random genius in a random country figured something out, I am pretty sure it would be hard to stop that kind of momentum, especially if said scientist posted their findings in detail and the word got out.
And the reason those batteries have range issues ? Because the car companies and the petrol czars refused to allow the necessary research to take place to make better batteries a reality.. same reason for the lack of medical progress.... if somebody, ANYBODY, comes up with cure for any serious diseases, big pharma immediately crushes it, and also writes some moar big checks to the scumbuckets in Washington to make sure it never reaches the FDA for approval....

Hell, we had rechargeable batteries in the early 60's that took us to the moon & back, but no real significant advances since then......except for maybe in laptops & cell phones

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother

People like to argue that the American way drives innovation by pushing competition. But I think that what ends up happening is that all of the 'athletes' quietly agree to do the minimum they can to still be considered 'mobile.' They kinda figured out that it's not about actually shooting way past everyone, but doing the NASCAR thing where everybody stays in a cluster and all of the fans get excited for the car that's nosing 3 feet in front of the rest. Just watchin em go around like that for over an hour at a time. Why else do we get a new version of each model car every year with just slightly tweaked features and maybe a new line of colors and aesthetic accents? That's all they have to do to keep selling them. They need to sell a new car, so they do things that make it a little newer and people trade in their 2-year old, half-paid vehicle with good mileage in to get it. Doing more starts seeming nonsensical for them because further innovation adds further cost and it turns out the profit scaling on research spending is atrocious. The more you spend there, the less you can make on the finished product. Also worth noting, how good your innovation is won't matter if you can't market it. Gotta spend the marketing money regardless. The research? Ehhhh.... what's marketing for then? :laugh:

Now, maybe just maybe you go all in and come up with something truly game-changing. That's reputation, market hegemony. Or your quick death, because a lot of it won't be your money and the true certainty of a return is nonexistent when dealing with a fittingly ambitious idea. Doing good things often doesn't pay all that well, sadly. Sometimes you have to spend a long time working and yet producing nothing at all. That's why a lot of times the real way-pavers are simply people of passion. We built a society that rewards profit-driven actions above pretty much anything else a person could do with their time and energy and still, we wonder why things stay like this. You have to be willing to give that all up to even see fit to think differently. But then, you won't have the money to do anything. So you play the game, and at some point at least some of your efforts to innovate will be absorbed into that big machine. Or so it seems for most people out there. It all hinges on capital. To have capital, you gotta adopt profit-motives. And to adopt profit-motives, you have to shed some of the values that compel you to innovate in the first place. Human behavior is like water downhill.

D

Deleted member 24505

Arabs control a lot of oil. A lot of countries suck Arab dick because they want the oil. UAE is a powerful country because of this, so has a lot of control over the production and sale of oil. this country does not want people to stop buying it. Without oil Arabs would be in trouble, unless they can sell sand. Until oil has gone it will continue to be sold and used.

Don't you think that if we could cure cancer/diabetes/alzheimers or any number of other serious illnesses, we would have ? We COULD have, but then big pharma would stand to lose gazillions of $$, and we can't have that now, can we ?
There will never be a "cure" for cancer. There is too much money and jobs in the "cancer cure" industry for them ever to release a cure to the public even if they did find one.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
And the reason those batteries have range issues ? Because the car companies and the petrol czars refused to allow the necessary research to take place to make better batteries a reality.. same reason for the lack of medical progress.... if somebody, ANYBODY, comes up with cure for any serious diseases, big pharma immediately crushes it, and also writes some moar big checks to the scumbuckets in Washington to make sure it never reaches the FDA for approval....

Hell, we had rechargeable batteries in the early 60's that took us to the moon & back, but no real significant advances since then......except for maybe in laptops & cell phones

I mostly agree with you, but would need evidence that battery research was directly targeted and hindered... I know there is evidence that Congress was bribed basically to make sure corn syrup and sugar did not let Stevia compete in the 70's or 80's whenever that was, so I am not saying I disagree with you, cause yes our situation as a society has been shit for a long time. I still would like evidence though before agreeing fully with that statement.

Let's try to get back on topic though if we can mates... I don't want this thread to get closed down, cause I genuinely think it is an interesting question, I want someone who knows coding to answer me if possible... cause maybe my question isn't even valid if I knew how coding works for a super computer?

lol I don't know

@R-T-B you are a coder if I remember correct, thoughts?

System Name serenity now/Faithul Eight
Processor Amd 2400g/Amd 3800x
Motherboard Asrock ab350m Pro 4/Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling CM Masterair G100M/Wraith
Memory G.skill 2x4gb 3200/2x16 gb 3600 G.skill
Video Card(s) igpu vega 11/3070 oc Palit
Storage Apacer pcie ssd 240 gb/Adata 512gb nvme
Display(s) 50" LG 4k hdr
Case scratch build
Power Supply inter tech 650w 80+bronze/850 phantex pro
Software Ubuntu bionic beaver 18.04 lts/W10
Short answer is no cos it is bad for business :D :pimp:

D

Deleted member 24505

There are far better and more money making things to use Super Computer cycles for that concrete.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Short answer is no cos it is bad for business :D :pimp:

I am sorry but I just don't buy this answer, there are some universities that have access to super computers, I find it hard to believe big corporation bought them all off to not study it.

There are far better and more money making things to use Super Computer cycles for that concrete.

Perhaps, but what is the point of climate modeling, to predict our doom? Why not use that compute to prevent the doom.

D

Deleted member 24505

I am sorry but I just don't buy this answer, there are some universities that have access to super computers, I find it hard to believe big corporation bought them all off to not study it.

Perhaps, but what is the point of climate modeling, to predict our doom? Why not use that compute to prevent the doom.

Because my friend, we are doomed to destroy ourselves. We are hate filled destructive, vindictive greedy beings. Look at something as daft as hate filled messages because someone has a Intel chip and the other person a Amd for example. Why does such a simple thing cause so much vitriol? because it is human nature. I wish there was a "cure" for this but i fear it is too late. We are already on the brink of going too far with the destruction of our atmosphere and i just cannot see it stopping. Will the millions of people give up their cars, even if told they had to do it tomorrow or that would be it for our planet. Ho many of them millions would be still blindly driving their cars without a care in the world? Too many, which says it all.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Because my friend, we are doomed to destroy ourselves. We are hate filled destructive, vindictive greedy beings. Look at something as daft as hate filled messages because someone has a Intel chip and the other person a Amd for example. Why does such a simple thing cause so much vitriol? because it is human nature. I wish there was a "cure" for this but i fear it is too late. We are already on the brink of going too far with the destruction of our atmosphere and i just cannot see it stopping. Will the millions of people give up their cars, even if told they had to do it tomorrow or that would be it for our planet. Ho many of them millions would be still blindly driving their cars without a care in the world? Too many, which says it all.
And plan B is?, not sure how you got so negative but as a matter of fact loads of research has gone into reducing the carbon footprint of concrete, increase it's durability etc, I saw something about self healing concrete the other day.

And I think you're short sighted, yours only perspective about everything clearly has you confused, there's over 30% of all co2 emissions each year are from concrete.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I understand your pessimism, but regardless, I do my best to focus on the positive with this stuff now. That road leads only to headaches and not feeling well. Try to stay positive mate!

And plan B is?, not sure how you got so negative but as a matter of fact loads of research has gone into reducing the carbon footprint of concrete, increase it's durability etc, I saw something about self healing concrete the other day.

And I think you're short sighted, yours only perspective about everything clearly has you confused, there's over 30% of all co2 emissions each year are from concrete.

There is a lot of hope for the future imo as you just mentioned, a lot of innovation, a lot of young people majoring in STEM that want to live in a better world, etc.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
@R-T-B you are a coder if I remember correct, thoughts?
Never coded for a supercomputer, but my understanding is it works well for highly parrelizable problems that can be batched across multiple machines or cpu threads (that form said super computer).

I am unsure how concrete forumulations fair there.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
I am unsure how concrete forumulations fair there.
i think this only makes sense in connection with material specifications that are to provide scaled results, such as the swinging of a skyscraper during a heavy earthquake, perhaps.
this is why i wrote i am curoius about the speakers of other nations with different experiences and expectations to the concrete.

concrete GIF

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The biggest obstacle is that computers IRL don't work like they do for Tony Stark.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I think you're putting the cart before the horse here. You need to construct your model(s) first before coding them.

For climate, we have had a conceptual understanding of climate processes before we started simulating it. We have modelled fluid flow, water phase changes, GHGs generation and decay, heat and energy transfer, etc. We have equation(s) for energy/mass balance, and we figured out techniques to solve them. Some of those techniques require a significant amount of repetition and iteration, and this is where computers come to play.

So, first you need to conceptualize how you'd go about solving the problem you're looking at, convert this concept into equation or set of equations, figure out how to solve them numerically (assuming that you have no better choice), THEN you look into whether you need a Cray or can simply run this model on a chromebook's browser.

That said, I don't believe, in this case at least, computers would be the silver bullet you're expecting. Can't say much about the chemical part of this problem, but from what little I recall of undergrad days, wear modelling of structural material is nearly-always carried out physically (i.e. physically make your mix/pavement/beams/whatever and impose forces in the lab). Can't say you can't simulate it numerically, but I'd wager you'll still be limited by how fast you can do the physical tests (for verification/calibration).

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
No need for a super computer, this woman has figured out how you can grow cement.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
A recent article about roman concrete:

And here's a paper on it (full version paywalled):

Computer modeling offers a precisely controlled environment for studying material
composition and its relationships with structural performance. Such modeling stands to
play a prominent role in the development of new concrete materials and their structural
applications, complimenting results obtained through laboratory testing. Modeling
supports the necessary shift from materials development based on empiricism to that
based on the materials science of cement-based composites. Variations in the material
composition, production processes, and exposure conditions (and the effects of such
variations on life-cycle performance) can be simulated for large intervals on the length
and time scales.
This chapter highlights general concepts and trends in computer
modeling of concrete materials and structures, with coverage of some of the research
needs and challenges.

I have no idea to what extent computer models are used. A computer can't just cycle through stuff though because all a computer does is measuring voltages, so the physical properties of the various elements has to be translated to something the computer can understand, and that is no small task (the preview of the paper ends as it gets into that). And sooner or later you have to put it to a physical test and see how accurate the model was (the paper speaks of "validated models"). And if something is found that maybe could be used to improve concrete, the entire industry has to be taken into consideration. How difficult is it to implement? How much more expensive will the concrete be, and the production of it?

And as everything else in life, it's a lot more complicated than "just add X to it". Computer models help here, but the challanges (I assume anyway, without actually knowing) lies more in crafting accurate models than just raw performance.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
no because wet stuff would cause a short :) sorry couldnt help myself.

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
I know of only a few use case scenarios that super computers have been used for, mainly climate modeling, etc.

I was wondering with that kind of compute power, would it be possible to code a program to utilize all that power to test out various plants/herbs and traditional concrete mixtures, to see if you can make something more long lasting or solid (I don't know transportation terminology here sorry)... but I think you are getting my overall question here.

Or so super computers simply not work this way? Any thoughts at all welcome, was just thinking about this tonight and curious... what if we could solve all the road repair problems overnight, what if it is some sort of combination we simply haven't tried, I know things have been tried, but a super computer would be able to try everything... rather quickly I imagine. There are so many variables at play, I wonder if its just something humans have been missing... some ingredient we are missing to make roads withstand the freezing and unfreezing weather, the giant semi weight, etc.

There has to be some kind of combo of things from the periodic table of elements or plants or something we are missing... and since the variables are infinite, do you think there is any kind of coding that could be created to figure this out? We figure out concrete we kind of solve climate change, cause a green long lasting concrete would also allow for the expansion of other green energies, etc.
Can it be programmed? Yes, it can.
Would it be programmed? Probably not.
Why? Simply, no interest in it.

How you can change?
1. Write to your (or several) professors on University, maybe they can pick the idea into a project. They certainly got some computer power on their own Uni to do so.
2. If the professors do not have enough processor power (or GPU power), they can always use something like WCG or TN-GRID & propose a project on their network.
But you can also suggest to make their project as low heat-absorbent as possible. So that it does not influence the climate so much, as black roads do.

Also, note that one version of concrete is not going to cut it. There are different climates in Mexico & Cali, compared to Canada & Siberia.
So different mixtures need to be made, for different climates.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

This might be an eye opener. Sometimes its brutally simple, or a matter of trade offs:

Note comments on engineered wood. Composites. Etc.

If you are curious about new materials/composites studies:

Rest assured simulations are used and ran on supercomputers for the above!

People like to argue that the American way drives innovation by pushing competition. But I think that what ends up happening is that all of the 'athletes' quietly agree to do the minimum they can to still be considered 'mobile.' They kinda figured out that it's not about actually shooting way past everyone, but doing the NASCAR thing where everybody stays in a cluster and all of the fans get excited for the car that's nosing 3 feet in front of the rest. Just watchin em go around like that for over an hour at a time. Why else do we get a new version of each model car every year with just slightly tweaked features and maybe a new line of colors and aesthetic accents? That's all they have to do to keep selling them. They need to sell a new car, so they do things that make it a little newer and people trade in their 2-year old, half-paid vehicle with good mileage in to get it. Doing more starts seeming nonsensical for them because further innovation adds further cost and it turns out the profit scaling on research spending is atrocious. The more you spend there, the less you can make on the finished product. Also worth noting, how good your innovation is won't matter if you can't market it. Gotta spend the marketing money regardless. The research? Ehhhh.... what's marketing for then? :laugh:

Now, maybe just maybe you go all in and come up with something truly game-changing. That's reputation, market hegemony. Or your quick death, because a lot of it won't be your money and the true certainty of a return is nonexistent when dealing with a fittingly ambitious idea. Doing good things often doesn't pay all that well, sadly. Sometimes you have to spend a long time working and yet producing nothing at all. That's why a lot of times the real way-pavers are simply people of passion. We built a society that rewards profit-driven actions above pretty much anything else a person could do with their time and energy and still, we wonder why things stay like this. You have to be willing to give that all up to even see fit to think differently. But then, you won't have the money to do anything. So you play the game, and at some point at least some of your efforts to innovate will be absorbed into that big machine. Or so it seems for most people out there. It all hinges on capital. To have capital, you gotta adopt profit-motives. And to adopt profit-motives, you have to shed some of the values that compel you to innovate in the first place. Human behavior is like water downhill.

Diminishing returns might also fit on this whole perception of the world. Maybe, just maybe... we are reaching a point where progress in one area counters the progress in another. Where R&D now serves the final few % of progress thats still left, making it progressively less attractive to keep moving forward. Look at CPU and semicon nodes... its getting borderline retarded for those few extra percent of perf or power use. Marketing carries that now, to keep us buying, but ten year old chips work just the same for most. The real problem is that we keep buying, wanting more. We have been conditioned that way for generations, cradle to grave. Its not strange every company is caught up in the same rat race.

When we collectively start realizing and acting upon 'enough is enough', is the moment we can enforce systemic change to hypercapitalism that is way past expiration date. The new keyword I think is not growth, but sustainability alongside much slower progress. We need to slow down and do less of everything, refine what we have and start talking about global management of growth and decline.

This requires a less competitive and more collaborative approach. .... .... Yeah.

Last edited: