• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation VR 2

Dux

Well folks, it's official. The name of the new VR headset from Sony IS Playstation VR2. I know this is a PC forum, but PSVR can be used on PC unofficially, and I'm sure someone will figure out this one as well.

• Visual Fidelity: For a high-fidelity visual experience, PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
  • Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.
  • New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.
  • Eye Tracking: With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 150
System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
Yeah i was woundering why it would not have come up on main page already. It will probably will . I think CES is taking alot of space these days.

for the VR2 i like the spec and was searching for pictures of the headset but didnt find it on official post.

they have also annonce a game from horizon

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Wow! Yeah, I just saw this earlier this morning! This looks really good. This is starting to feel like this will be the year for VR/AR. The new lenses and mini-led and micro OLED will be amazing for VR. This specs for PSVR2 are amazing. I just want to know price now. lol I bet we hear more about Project Cambria very soon after this announcement. I know FB doesn't want anything to take the winds out of it's sails for Quest 2. This might even push Valve to show us something as well, but I doubt it. lol Honestly though Horizon could dethrone HLA from being the best VR game. I mean it probably won't for me but for most it might.

Sony has made some really good games for the old PSVR. I can only imagine they will keep that going with PSVR2. Hopefully, we hear about more games soon. Sony had a pretty good lineup for PSVR. This is very exciting. I hope I can get a PS5 before this launches.

Dux

Unfortunately, when talking about Horizon, they keep mentioning the word "experience." And it looks like some pretty on rails experience, rather than actual game where you are free to explore about. I hope they prove me wrong.

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5800x
Motherboard B550i Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Custom Cooling
Memory 32Gb Patriot Viper 3600 RGB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ventus Trio OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO
Display(s) Specterpro 34uw100
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold SFX
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Unfortunately, when talking about Horizon, they keep mentioning the word "experience." And it looks like some pretty on rails experience, rather than actual game where you are free to explore about. I hope they prove me wrong.
I caught that too and the trailer implies it is like that as well. The PSVR 2 claims to have foveated rendering which is a game changer and they could do wonders with the hardware it has. If they make it wireless then it really is a game changer.

Honestly though Horizon could dethrone HLA from being the best VR game

The problem with HLA is the hardware needed to have a great experience with the game. So far nothing remotely compares to the WOW factor I got from my first time launching HLA.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Nice catch, I did not see that part.

EDIT: I just watched the ces event and it says full game built for PSVR2 from the ground up, check out this video.

The problem with HLA is the hardware needed to have a great experience with the game. So far nothing remotely compares to the WOW factor I got from my first time launching HLA.
Yeah, HLA is amazing. The hardware isn't as bad as one might think. I just tried HLA using a GTX 970 and Quest 2 over Airlink and it was amazing. Now, not as good as my RTX 2070 and Rift S setup. I bought a usb cable to use link with Quest 2. I need to test it out as well. I didn't get the official cable. I'm just super surprised I can even play HLA with a GTX 970 and Quest 2. Airlink works really well and for the most part looks great. I think we will see HLA announced for PSVR2 before launch. It will be the premier way to play it unless Valve announces their new HMD.

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
I bought a PSVR when it was first released as a birthday gift for my Son. It wasn’t cheep. After seeing how the prices dropped over time I think I can say that I’ll give the PSVR2 a miss when it’s first released and wait it out at least a season or two before buying.

im guessing it will be a fairly good VR HMD but it will probably be a bit on the expensive side.

Reactions: Dux

Dux

I bought a PSVR when it was first released as a birthday gift for my Son. It wasn’t cheep. After seeing how the prices dropped over time I think I can say that I’ll give the PSVR2 a miss when it’s first released and wait it out at least a season or two before buying.

im guessing it will be a fairly good VR HMD but it will probably be a bit on the expensive side.
I expect it will go ror €650-700 here in Croatia. Same situation with the console. If you manage to find it. Scalpers have them. I have never seen a single one available in stores here. Offline or online.
XBOX series is relatively easy to find. Especially Series S which s always available.
I need to see how much support with good games will this headset have. I am postponing my playtrough of Resident Evil 8 in hopes it will get proper VR support with full motion controler integration like RE 4 for Quest 2.
I played a bit of HL:Alyx back when i had Rift S, but decided to postpone it in order to play on a better headset. My favorite game is Lone Echo. But we will sadly never see that on PSVR because Meta bought the development studio.
So far confired ports (that i know of) are Pavlov and boneworks. devs tweeted about it a while back.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
I expect it will go ror €650-700 here in Croatia. Same situation with the console. If you manage to find it. Scalpers have them. I have never seen a single one available in stores here. Offline or online.
XBOX series is relatively easy to find. Especially Series S which s always available.
I need to see how much support with good games will this headset have. I am postponing my playtrough of Resident Evil 8 in hopes it will get proper VR support with full motion controler integration like RE 4 for Quest 2.
I played a bit of HL:Alyx back when i had Rift S, but decided to postpone it in order to play on a better headset. My favorite game is Lone Echo. But we will sadly never see that on PSVR because Meta bought the development studio.
So far confired ports (that i know of) are Pavlov and boneworks. devs tweeted about it a while back.
I got to say I thought HLA was fantastic on my Rift S. What part of the Rift S did you not like? Visually it's not that far behind Index. The only real negative I can say is that it's lock at 80hz but even then it was fine. Honestly, I don't know how you could stop playing it. lol It's that good for me. I'm replaying it now a little here and there. I'm in the middle of RE4 on Quest 2 and it's really good so far. Also, don't forget you can add your VR/AR HMD to your specs now when you get your new HMD. :toast:

Dux

I got to say I thought HLA was fantastic on my Rift S. What part of the Rift S did you not like? Visually it's not that far behind Index. The only real negative I can say is that it's lock at 80hz but even then it was fine. Honestly, I don't know how you could stop playing it. lol It's that good for me. I'm replaying it now a little here and there. I'm in the middle of RE4 on Quest 2 and it's really good so far. Also, don't forget you can add your VR/AR HMD to your specs now when you get your new HMD. :toast:
Well I'm a kind of person who will complain abut everyting :D. I had PSVR, Lenovo Explorer and Rift S. S was the best. And somehow the only headset that didn't give me any motion sickness. Idk why. I didn't like those fresnel lenses. They introduced a lot of godrays. I was very careful about cleaning them with micro fiber cloth, but over time even that caused micro scratches and made godrays even worse. Sweetspot is tiny and it doesn't have any manual IPD adjustment. Controllers are fantastic compared to PSVR and Lenovo explorer. But still I would say this is the first VR headset that was "good enough" to me. I'm just waiting for something better.
I hope PSVR 2 will have automatic lens adjustment since it has eye tracking. It could measure precise IPD and adjust lense separation on its own. If Sony doesn't cheap out and not include motors that can do that.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Anyone concerned with micro scratches or otherwise can probably just buy lens protectors. Similar to prescription lenses but in this case just for protection rather then vision correction. Sounds like a worthwhile investment for someone who has already reported such damage.

I have a number of family members that were professional photographers so I've had a lot of expensive glass around me even at a young age. My Wife also bought a ~$1000 USD Canon DSLR (forget which model) some years ago which is still in great shape. What I know is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So ideally don't let anything touch the lens and you'll never have to worry about cleaning it.

If you have to clean it, get a professional cleaning kit, use said kit properly and hopefully sparingly.

BTW, before physically applying anything to a lens, attempt to dislodge any possible debris by way of compressed air or air bulb. Sometimes fine unseen particles can scratch lenses so ideally this should be removed with a zero contact method before actual contact cleaning. After the air, you can move on to lens cleaning paper (disposable), microfiber or lens brush. A lens cleaning pen is also a good investment if used properly. Typically these have a fine brush built in on the opposite side.

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
While the PSVR2, sony produce now the PS4 Slim and PRO till the end of 22 cause the PS5 robbery from scalpers, this isnt good for Sony.
Scalpers buy, but dont subscribe PS Plus or PS Now and even dont Buy Games in the Store/ Disc Store.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
While the PSVR2, sony produce now the PS4 Slim and PRO till the end of 22 cause the PS5 robbery from scalpers, this isnt good for Sony.
Scalpers buy, but dont subscribe PS Plus or PS Now and even dont Buy Games in the Store/ Disc Store.
It's difficult to get a PS5 at or near MSRP but not impossible. It requires sound methodology, perseverance and a wee bit of luck. My Wife and I managed to buy three PS5 units. We kept 2 and gave one to my Niece (she reimbursed us the cost). I wanted to keep only one but,....

You make a good point though.

Keep in mind that PSVR demand was no where near the demand for the PS4 in its various forms (slim / pro). Not everyone with a PS4 wanted the PSVR and the MSRP was steep. Therefore the actual user demand for the PSVR2 would have to be a subset of the prerequisite PS5 unless Sony does something special like making it quasi Oculus Quest stand alone + PC + PS5 support.

Last edited:

Dux

During Q&A at the Sony earnings conference it has been confirmed that PSVR2 will have eye tracking working with foveated rendering. Not just fixed foveated rendering at the center of the screen and eye tracking being used just for ingame avatars.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
During Q&A at the Sony earnings conference it has been confirmed that PSVR2 will have eye tracking working with foveated rendering. Not just fixed foveated rendering at the center of the screen and eye tracking being used just for ingame avatars.
I can't wait to see it and get the list of games at launch. PSVR had some great games. They really pushed the software for the hardware. The Quest 2 is selling very well but once Sony announces their PSVR 2 game line up they should be worried. The Quest 2 has some great games coming but I doubt they have anything lined up like Sony. I expect Sony to have a few AAA games built from the ground up at launch with more coming. Plus, one power house if they have Half Life:Alyx at launch.

I know Meta has something they are announcing on the 13th of this month. I think it will be GTA SA, but I hope it's something totally new and made for VR. I can't wait for GTA SA, but a totally new game would be great as well. After playing RE4 on quest 2 and seeing how great it looks in VR I can't only imagine GTA SA will be even better.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
I wonder how aggressive can the lowered render resolution / shading rate be on our peripheral vision before it becomes too noticeable, and how much the performance saved can raise the visual quality towards what we're getting on the regular TV output.

The PSVR2 page is up, and once again they confirm Foveated Rendering working with Eye Tracking:

Eye tracking cameras follow your line of sight when aiming or looking around, while advanced foveated rendering techniques improve the visual experience by adjusting resolutions to pinpoint and enhance whatever you’re focusing on.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
I wonder how aggressive can the lowered render resolution / shading rate be on our peripheral vision before it becomes too noticeable, and how much the performance saved can raise the visual quality towards what we're getting on the regular TV output.

The PSVR2 page is up, and once again they confirm Foveated Rendering working with Eye Tracking:

The first Foveated rendered game I played was Batman VR and it was a fixed Foveated rendering meaning it only worked if you looked straight forward. It worked great with my old i7 2600k with a GTX 970 but you could not move your eyes around. You could only move your head for it to work right which was fine for that game but eye tracking would be so much better. If I turned off Fixed Foveated Rendering then it was unplayable on my GTX 970. If you move your eyes and looked at the edges it was very noticeable that it was blurry and way out of focus, but looking straight forward it looked amazing and you could not tell it was out of focus and blurry.

EDIT: I would say it felt like only 35 or 40% was actually being rendered on screen.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
If you have the necessary hardware to brute force the rendering then you’re in really good standing. Especially so given the difficulty and expense of obtaining halfway decent video cards these day. However, since this is the PS5 the performance is fixed.

Eye tracking and Foveated rendering could be the glue that makes it all work well for the PSVR2. This is actually very much the way human vision works in the first place (save for the blind spot that our brains make up for). Peripheral vision is actually very poor, which, is why we instinctively move our eyes towards what is on the periphery of our vision.

I just hope that the Eye tracking and Foveated rendering are congruent enough that the user doesn’t detect it. In other other words, our poor peripheral vision never enters our central line of sight where the vision is at it’s best,….not even for a moment. If this happens with the PSVR2 it would be immersion breaking. Looking up, down, left and right shouldn’t become blurry then come into focus. If it does what’s the point?

Eye tracking could also be used as an additional input device, which, could have a lot of possibilities.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Sony now has a signup for PSVR2 release date and pre-order as well as other info:

PlayStation VR2 news and updates​

Get the latest PS VR2 news, including game announcements, release dates and when you can pre-order your headset.
Sign-in to PlayStation.com using your account for PlayStation Network.

Come get some!!!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Looks good. I’m into it.

I still say that Sony should have brought the trifecta. By which I mean made the PSVR2 stand alone like the Oculus Quest (1 and 2) + PC support + the special sauce of PS5 support (PS4 too if they could swing it). Then start to compete on price as well. It would be a loss leader but it would have the potential to wrestle away the mindshare of Oculus (AKA Meta and the stench of FB) as well as make inroads into their numbers.

Last edited:
Hi ya,

Some good info here.

I remember playing the first PlayStation VR back in 2017 I think it was. I was very impressed, as it was my first experience of VR. I really liked the fact it had an OLED screen. Obviously it was not perfect due to the fact it had wires, and was heavy.

Since then I have played the Oculus Question 2, which is great, but does need a sharper image. Oculus can also be connected to PC.

Would you guys agree that the PSVR2 would be better than the Oculus quest 2?

Going by the specifications of different VR headsets, it seems like the PSVR 2 and Vive Pro 2 are clear winners at the moment in the VR world? What do you all think?

Dux

Vive Pro 2 looks great on paper, but it is not such a great experience based on reviews. Better to get Valve Index. Everything about PSVR 2 being a good experience is 100% speculation and wishing. Only time and reviews will tell. I wouldn't buy index right now. It's olden tech by now. HODOR!

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Vive Pro 2 looks great on paper, but it is not such a great experience based on reviews. Better to get Valve Index. Everything about PSVR 2 being a good experience is 100% speculation and wishing. Only time and reviews will tell. I wouldn't buy index right now. It's olden tech by now. HODOR!
I think the guy above is just spam. He had a link to his site where he did a review. We don't mind some self promotion, but not on your first post. I probably should have nuked it but it is in the right place at least. lol But yeah I agree the Vive Pro 2 looks good on paper, but to say it's better than the Quest 2 is a far stretch.. We can say the same thing about PSVR 2 until it's in our hands, but I'll go ahead and say that I pretty much feel like Sony's will be really good with good content to back it at launch, but leaks are saying it's not going to launch until 2023. I think by then we will have a lot of chooses for highend VR like Cambria and hopefully the Index 2 or even Apple's new VR/AR glasses.