• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel and Windows 11 Deprecating SGX Breaks 4K Blu-ray Playback

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It took a while for this discovery as it's probably rare for people with modern PCs to also have Blu-ray optical drives. Apparently PCs with Intel 12th Gen Core "Alder Lake," and older 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake" processors, as well as the latest Windows 11 OS, are unable to playback protected 4K Blu-ray video discs, as the DRM component is broken in the absence of Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX). Intel introduced SGX with 6th Gen Core "Skylake," and deprecated it with "Rocket Lake." To be clear, playback of Blu-ray discs at 1080p isn't affected.

CyberLink, makers of the PowerDVD software that's bundled as an OEM application with optical drives to play back protected Blu-ray video; put out a statement on its website confirming that they're unable to help with this situation, as they don't control the DRM, the Blu-ray Association does. "The removal of the SGX feature, and its compatibility with the latest Windows OS and drivers, has caused a substantial challenge for CyberLink to continue supporting Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback in our player software," it stated. Just to clarify, this only affects playback of Blu-Ray content at 4K—1080p is not affected.

Many Thanks to Steevo for the tip.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm sure all 2 people that still watch Blu-rays on their computers will be devastated.

hey i do but not 4k, so i really cant care less

Processor I7-6900K @ 4.2ghz 8c/4.3ghz 2c
Motherboard GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 3200 15-17-17-34
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12GB FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
Storage 1TB P31 NVMe and 2x 1TB S31 SATA
Display(s) CU34G2X and Ea244wmi
Case 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply SuperNOVA 850 G+
Mouse G502 HERO/G700s
Keyboard Ducky Shine
You've always had to jump through way too many hoops to get 4k BR working on PC so unlike BR I never even bothered trying and just got an Xbox One S when it was on sale. Disappointing state of affairs as the DRM never stopped piracy of 4k discs, but it sure made it hard and expensive to do legit.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Thankfully, I don't play by the stupid rules that movie studios imposed on Blu-ray drive manufacturers.

MakeMKV media player integration FTW.

But also I have no plans to switch to Windows 11 or 11th-gen Intel, so...

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
You've always had to jump through way too many hoops to get 4k BR working on PC so unlike BR I never even bothered trying and just got an Xbox One S when it was on sale. Disappointing state of affairs as the DRM never stopped piracy of 4k discs, but it sure made it hard and expensive to do legit.
Pretty much, the cheapest Blu-Ray player is a console, and you don't even need the latest one. Even the PS3 can play back Blu-Ray.
Funny thing is not even the PS4 Pro can play back UHD Blu-Ray, that says a lot about how relevant those are. :laugh:
Fact is I can't even remember the last time I played a Blu-Ray movie.

I agree. I used to try to use a PC to playback Blu Ray discs, but has become too much of a hassle to do so. While I still kept my blu ray drive, I rarely connect it to the PC anymore. Best to get a console with Blu ray drive. Updates are automatic, and it is usually very easy to use.

All parties need to sort out this mess for ordinary users who want to enjoy their movies on PC. Both Intel, AMD and BD Association need to come up with a solution rather than forcing users to buy a stand alone BD player.
And those saying "I do not care" could show more solidarity with home theatre fans. It is in everyone's interest that PC users can also enjoy their collections of movies.

Blu-Ray DRM has always been a huge broken mess. Even without the absurd PC restrictions ("no, no, you're not allowed to take screenshots... or skip the intros... or breathe..."), even many standalone players by premium brands suffered from the "we'll support this model for 3-5 years and then stop making updates, which means no updated AACS so in +6 years time you won't be able to play the newest movies". Been there and done that with a Sony player. I never bought a replacement, I just stopped buying new Blu-Rays... It's always been the worst kind of planned obsolescence whose long-term compatibility / stability as a standard has been way out of whack vs CD / DVD.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
DRM I feel is actually at the point where it increases piracy instead of (potentially, never been proven) reducing it.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm sure all 2 people that still watch Blu-rays on their computers will be devastated.
tsk, you're such a meanie!

But seriously, I don't know anyone who's got a 4K Blu-ray player and the discs, let alone plays them on their PC, so I can't see this being missed.

Laughs in 4K Dolby Vision rips. It's not that any new movie deserves its ticket money.

Honestly, I can't even finish most of the recent movies. It's 50% cringe with the other 50% being lame CGI.

DRM I feel is actually at the point where it increases piracy instead of (potentially, never been proven) reducing it.
There is a huge study by the EU that showed exactly this. Top kek through and through, although it's common sense if you think about it.

Hey, I'm seemingly the first here to have a bluray 4K player for my laptop (external). Only using it to backup my personnal BD UHD library as long as my Xbox One S died and got nothing at decent prices to watch my movies (here, in France, more than 150€ for low end BD UHD player vs 75€ for an external BD4K compatible drive)

But, as i'm a Ryzen owner (which do not have SGX alternative) and a proud owner of Libredrive firmware, i don't care. SGX requirement was a joke and can easily be bypassed by some softwares like xReveal (Free BD Decrypter, just missing keys that are freely available on the web) and once backed up, you don't need a software or noisy drive anymore

They dropped support because too much peoples don't care about BD4K on pc (Most peoples don't have a 4K monitor, it's costly and got stupid system requirements (intel only which become even more costly))

Remember when DVD drive was cheaper (and provided with DVD playback software) than their living room alternatives?

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
Do you mean the people that appreciate that a standard Blu-ray has better image and sound quality than most 4k streaming? Streaming was most definitely a regression in A/V quality (and a HUGE one) but most people just forgot how shitty Netflix, etc. actually looks and sounds.

But yeah, most people don't give a shit.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Do you mean the people that appreciate that a standard Blu-ray has better image and sound quality than most 4k streaming? Streaming was most definitely a regression in A/V quality (and a HUGE one) but most people just forgot how shitty Netflix, etc. actually looks and sounds.

My comment actually had nothing to do with streaming.

tsk, you're such a meanie!

But seriously, I don't know anyone who's got a 4K Blu-ray player and the discs, let alone plays them on their PC, so I can't see this being missed.
Have one in mine

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?

People who actually care about superior BR quality and have hardware which lets them appreciate such quality, i.e. a treated room, semi-professional laser projector worth as much as an average apartment and an equally expensive audio system? I happen to know such a person, he would laugh very loudly at the idea of using a computer with Windows as a source.

For most people watching movies is just a thing they do as low priority entertainment, not their core activity. In this context streaming is a huge progress for the vast majority of people - convenience is king and the quality only has to be "good enough".

It is important to fight for the quality of audio-video entertainment. Just because convenience is what majority of users would agree to by easily consuming low bit rate streaming 4K content at ~25 Mbps, it does not mean that all users should give up the fight for high quality AV and home theatre. 4K disks are more superior in audio quality and HDR often looks better than on streamed content. Also, disks are purposefully purchased for specific movies/documentaries/series. Millions of streamers are discovering that streamed content is not that great. I have 4K Netflix, Prime and a few others and have not watched too many things for a while as content quality is quite mediocre. Thewre will be an exodus from streaming platforms bacause of that, just like increasing number of people are leaving traditional social media to find the quality of life and spending free time elsewhere. Why pay every month if the content quality is not consistently good?

AMD, Intel and BD Association need to step up the game. By removing buggy SGX, Intel dropped the ball as they have not replaced it with next gen solution. There are good options for legit PC UHD Blu-Ray, such as TPM-linked or similar. There needs to be a push to enable a new gen of security, but nothing like DRM. There's got to be the way.

I have PC BD UHD drive and 9th gen Intel CPU on HTPC. I do not want to be forced to buy a stand-alone BD UHD player or rip my own movies just to be able to play 4K collection or ripped files from the same collection. Ridiculous. People will show a middle finger to disk-based cinema entertianment if the industry does not work out easier way to consume owned and legit 4K disks on PC platform. They cannot force people to buy more expensive stand-alone devices for this purpose.

It's enough to have HTPC with capable disk drive, player, 4K TV and decent surround system. It does not need to be expensive and this must be re-enabled in new way. Groups of home cinema fans of UHD disks on PC need to lobby CPU vendors and BD Association and push them for a new solution.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It is important to fight for the quality of audio-video entertainment. Just because convenience is what majority of users would agree to by easily consuming low bit rate streaming 4K content at ~25 Mbps, it does not mean that all users should give up the fight for high quality AV and home theatre. 4K disks are more superior in audio quality and HDR often looks better than on streamed content. Also, disks are purposefully purchased for specific movies/documentaries/series. Millions of streamers are discovering that streamed content is not that great. I have 4K Netflix, Prime and a few others and have not watched too many things for a while as content quality is quite mediocre. Thewre will be an exodus from streaming platforms bacause of that, just like increasing number of people are leaving traditional social media to find the quality of life and spending free time elsewhere. Why pay every month if the content quality is not consistently good?

AMD, Intel and BD Association need to step up the game. By removing buggy SGX, Intel dropped the ball as they have not replaced it with next gen solution. There are good options for legit PC UHD Blu-Ray, such as TPM-linked or similar. There needs to be a push to enable a new gen of security, but nothing like DRM. There's got to be the way.

I have PC BD UHD drive and 9th gen Intel CPU on HTPC. I do not want to be forced to buy a stand-alone BD UHD player or rip my own movies just to be able to play 4K collection or ripped files from the same collection. Ridiculous. People will show a middle finger to disk-based cinema entertianment if the industry does not work out easier way to consume owned and legit 4K disks on PC platform. They cannot force people to buy more expensive stand-alone devices for this purpose.

It's enough to have HTPC with capable disk drive, player, 4K TV and decent surround system. It does not need to be expensive and this must be re-enabled in new way. Groups of home cinema fans of UHD disks on PC need to lobby CPU vendors and BD Association and push them for a new solution.
All 12bit DV streaming rips are having excellent quality. Scene really cares about rip quality.

BluRay only uses HEVC Main10, i.e. 10bits for color.

Feels like a bug.

Feels like the same type of error as not having AVX 512 on i9's.

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
My comment actually had nothing to do with streaming.
Well sure it did. If someone is watching video on a computer and it's not an optical disc, it must be streamed. Last I checked you can't buy downloads.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Well sure it did. If someone is watching video on a computer and it's not an optical disc, it must be streamed. Last I checked you can't buy downloads.
I love how you think you can tell me what I was saying with my comment. It has nothing to do with streaming. It has everything to do with the fact that a 4K Blu-ray player can be had for under $150 now. There is no point in having a Blu-Ray player in your PC to play 4K movies.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I love how you think you can tell me what I was saying with my comment. It has nothing to do with streaming. It has everything to do with the fact that a 4K Blu-ray player can be had for under $150 now. There is no point in having a Blu-Ray player in your PC to play 4K movies.
Even less than that for a decent one. Though streaming services have made DVDs a moot point (for me).