• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is battery technology so behind the times?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24505
  • Start date
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
D

Deleted member 24505

There needs to be a fundamental change in the way batteries work. I don't know what or how this would work, but needs to somehow move away from the chemicals we are using now for battery technology. I wish i understood exactly how battery tech works, but i don't. I get the anode-cathode bit but don't understand how the chemicals, lithium, is used in the battery. What stores the power?

Is it not going to change for the next X years? or s there going to be a magic discovery that will be a revelation for battery tech.

There is no doubt there needs to be something, imo battery's in most mobile devices are rubbish.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
There needs to be a fundamental change in the way batteries work. I don't know what or how this would work, but needs to somehow move away from the chemicals we are using now for battery technology. I wish i understood exactly how battery tech works, but i don't. I get the anode-cathode bit but don't understand how the chemicals, lithium, is used in the battery. What stores the power?

Is it not going to change for the next X years? or s there going to be a magic discovery that will be a revelation for battery tech.

There is no doubt there needs to be something, imo battery's in most mobile devices are rubbish.
Here's a simple explanation: https://depts.washington.edu/matseed/batteries/MSE/components.html

Basically electrons flow from the anode to the cathode and that discharges the battery. Recharging is the process of herding the electrons back through the electrolyte to the anode.
And we want to do this:
a) quickly, so we can charge in minutes, not hours
b) efficiently, without "using up" any of the materials involved
c) without releasing too much heat either

That's a tall order, if there ever was one. So yes, chemicals and chemistry as we know them today most likely aren't the solution we're looking for.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
In the past 50 years Electronics technology has come a long way. Now we have mobile computers, mobile phones and a whole host of other tech that has had years of ever increasing and improving development, but not battery technology, why not?

Is it because it is a difficult technology to develop? is it related to the car and petrol industry? if battery technology had got better in relation to other electronic development then E vehicles would be much more viable. The biggest cost and weight in a EV is the battery's, in todays high tech world this seems very backward in relation to other tech.
Physics. Capacitors can hold a lot more electrons per kg but they also can't hold them for very long before the electrons escape. Batteries hold electrons for a long time, but comparatively, they entrap far less per kg. Decades of research has gone into engineering hybrid devices that act like a capacitor for charging and a battery for retention. There's been successes, but then they run into problems with endurance (charge/drain cycles).

There is little evidence to suggest commercial batteries will get much better than Li-ion available today. Most R&D is going into eliminating cobalt (mostly sourced from Africa) from Li-ion production.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
More stuff needs to be movement powered, possibly using piezoelectric effect and human power.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Physics. Capacitors can hold a lot more electrons per kg but they also can't hold them for very long before the electrons escape. Batteries hold electrons for a long time, but comparatively, they entrap far less per kg.

I have some large super-capacitors but they each hold about as much energy as an AA battery.

Recharging is the process of herding the electrons back through the electrolyte to the anode.
And we want to do this:

I still like the idea of a standardized battery that one swaps out at the station.

Attachments

• ultracapacitor.jpg
    ultracapacitor.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Then you want them to be light enough so you can move them without a forklift.
And then there's the issue of ownership/warranty... It's pretty messed up.

What's the avg ecar battery about 1/3rd or more of the gross weight

Memory 16GB DDR3

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Memory 16GB DDR3
As I understand it, lithium batteries don't so much lose capacity as suffer increased internal resistance; so old car batteries would still be good for lower power applications.

So yes, chemicals and chemistry as we know them today most likely aren't the solution we're looking for.
Hell, lithium was outdated decades ago. We really need to explore and refine alternate chemistries not involving lithium.

lithium batteries don't so much lose capacity as suffer increased internal resistance
This is partly correct. The chemistry degrades to the point where it loses some capacity and increases internal resistance. If we can find a way to do....

Most R&D is going into eliminating cobalt (mostly sourced from Africa) from Li-ion production.
...this, lithium formulations would become more durable(more charge/discharge cycles), safer(because cobalt and lithium react well together) and less costly(because cobalt is expensive).

There are very good articles about this subject at the links below;
https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/articles/reducing-reliance-cobalt-lithium-ion-batteries
https://cen.acs.org/energy/energy-storage-/Lithium-ion-batteries-cobalt-free/98/i29

BTW, Welcome back Ford! Good to see you again!

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
This is partly correct. The chemistry degrades to the point where it loses some capacity and increases internal resistance.

So still good to use for household storage for solar cells.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I wouldn't. Once the cells degrade beyond 15% loss, the degradation generally cascades. That curve is startling. They also have a tendency of becoming more dangerous as they degrade. Reusing them is a bad idea. Best to recycle them at that point.
For bonus points, when one cell goes poof, it tends to cascade :cool:

Here's a simple explanation: https://depts.washington.edu/matseed/batteries/MSE/components.html

Basically electrons flow from the anode to the cathode and that discharges the battery. Recharging is the process of herding the electrons back through the electrolyte to the anode.
And we want to do this:
b) efficiently, without "using up" any of the materials involved
c) without releasing too much heat either

That's a tall order, if there ever was one. So yes, chemicals and chemistry as we know them today most likely aren't the solution we're looking for.

There are physical limits, so one would need to find either new material, or composite, or somehow bend rules.

The issue is for example C and A together. Charging requires moving electrons, movement requires energy, which causes heating and simply put it will always do that in pretty much all materials used today. Not mentioning you do waste about 20% of electricity required to fuel battery (lost during recharge).

Gas is insanely energy dense fuel, so even when gas vehicles have fairly low effectivity, they have no issues with refueling or capacity.

IMHO intense research in ways to further improve gas engine would be pretty good too. There are aspects that will require gas or diesel cars in the future, probably even in case of battery tech/material breakthrough.

As for B, wearout is not possible to avoid, only solution would be if charged and discharged state were actually different material altogether. Which would require something we cant do, creating matter from energy.

There is quite decent possibility, that batteries in current sense are pretty much impossible to improve due physical laws. Maybe we dont need better bateries, maybe we need completely different approach.

In the past 50 years Electronics technology has come a long way. Now we have mobile computers, mobile phones and a whole host of other tech that has had years of ever increasing and improving development, but not battery technology, why not?

Is it because it is a difficult technology to develop? is it related to the car and petrol industry? if battery technology had got better in relation to other electronic development then E vehicles would be much more viable. The biggest cost and weight in a EV is the battery's, in todays high tech world this seems very backward in relation to other tech.
A part of that is how and what more advanced batteries are made from. But what do mean by "behind the times"? What other times have there been better batteries? The amount of money and research into the next big thing is in development all over the world. The real question is how and where are we going to store all the old batteries. Like the promise of nuclear power the promise of "greener" energy has a cost ofn the backend. But I dont think there is a lack of funding or research for batteries and lithium has really made power options better considering how short NiCd batteries lived in early cordless power tools.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Hell, lithium was outdated decades ago. We really need to explore and refine alternate chemistries not involving lithium.
Only outdated if there is something better, man. That's what we're missing.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Only outdated if there is something better, man. That's what we're missing.
And that school of thought is why we don't have a replacement. Just because there's nothing better doesn't mean what exists is not obsolete. Chemical engineers need to stop looking for ways to improve lithium formulations and look for chemistries that do not carry serious safety hazards. Perhaps even improve upon the NiMH formulations or explore experimental chemistries like NickelCopperCarbonPolymer for example. That formulation showed great potential but was trash-canned for reasons that was never explained. And there are more chemistries to be explored, all of which do not suffer from serious fire safety problems.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
Why are the cells so small? Seems to me that increases the chance of failure as one needs so many.

Why are the cells so small? Seems to me that increases the chance of failure as one needs so many.
It's a safety thing. Making large lithium batteries becomes exponentially more dangerous as you increase mass. Keeping individual cells small and in large packs reduces the danger level, but only to a certain degree which is why they're not allowed to be shipped in bulk on aircraft.