• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
So how are people doing, we are already in 2nd week of January and i'm tempted to buy another monitor and send this G5 for warranty repair as it's doing my head in with the JOG button not working correctly.
I've been resorted to unplugging the power cable to keep the actual display working when I need to, ocassionally been able to resolve the JOG button working by holding it down for 10 seconds in different position but it doesn't work all the time.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
That's not a celeb/elite thing. It's a long standing cultural thing.
Yeah. And older men/women with buckets of wealth have something to offer other than love.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
For the first time ever, I'm actually glad that he's such a twat. At least he left himself with no other choice than to revoke his pointless covid rules now. :roll:

Other topic: Is there any one of us who makes the effort to wash their car in this freezing weather? Mine is filthy up to the point that I can barely see my number plate, but I can't be asked.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah. And older men/women with buckets of wealth have something to offer other than love.

humanity is a failed species, so I can't say I am surprised we have not elevated beyond basic animal wants and desires, no wonder there is that concept that if aliens visited us they would simply move on, seeing as how we really are barely evolved passed the chimp, lol - in fact one might even say Koko the Gorilla manifests being a human more than most humans, for her capability of sharing love was tremendous beyond belief.

the inability to create a symbiosis with our environment is the key giveaway to them I am certain of it.

For the first time ever, I'm actually glad that he's such a twat. At least he left himself with no other choice than to revoke his pointless covid rules now. :roll:

Other topic: Is there any one of us who makes the effort to wash their car in this freezing weather? Mine is filthy up to the point that I can barely see my number plate, but I can't be asked.

but if he resigns doesn't that mean someone might get in that makes even worse covid rules? and yep I agree, covid is here for 50 years, we have medicines now, its time we all move on. if you are older person, then you simply need to rethink happiness and what happiness means to you and get new hobbies accordingly. the world has to move on or collapse at this point, the choice isn't mine, its theirs. i hope they choose wisely.

but for now, I will go play Endwalker, the greatest story ever told ~

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
humanity is a failed species, so I can't say I am surprised we have not elevated beyond basic animal wants and desires, no wonder there is that concept that if aliens visited us they would simply move on, seeing as how we really are barely evolved passed the chimp, lol - in fact one might even say Koko the Gorilla manifests being a human more than most humans, for her capability of sharing love was tremendous beyond belief.

the inability to create a symbiosis with our environment is the key giveaway to them I am certain of it.
I don't know. Personally, I believe that the evolution of humanity as a species is just about to leave the infant age. Children believe in tales (aka. religion), adolescents rebel against anything their ancestors believed in (aka. the birth and spread of materialism). It'll take millennia before humanity as a species develops the understanding and wisdom we need for a truly prosperous life. We will get there, slowly but surely, as I don't believe humanity in its current state has the power to destroy itself or the planet. We're only children playing with toys.

but if he resigns doesn't that mean someone might get in that makes even worse covid rules?
A fair point. I hope that does not happen.

and yep I agree, covid is here for 50 years, we have medicines now, its time we all move on. if you are older person, then you simply need to rethink happiness and what happiness means to you and get new hobbies accordingly. the world has to move on or collapse at this point, the choice isn't mine, its theirs. i hope they choose wisely.
Yep. That's what I've been saying ever since covid first appeared. It's an illness, like a million others. We don't go into lockdown just because a lot of people have the regular flu which can also be deadly to the vulnerable. Then why the need for lockdown now? Why is there a ban on international travel for unvaccinated people when covid is literally everywhere by now? I have just as much, if not more chance to get it at work, or at the supermarket (just like I actually got it last summer) than visiting my parents in Hungary.

but for now, I will go play Endwalker, the greatest story ever told ~
Is it really? I've got to play it too, I guess. :) The best story of a game I've played so far is The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone. Second place is a tie between Homeworld and Alan Wake.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't know. Personally, I believe that the evolution of humanity as a species is just about to leave the infant age. Children believe in tales (aka. religion), adolescents rebel against anything their ancestors believed in (aka. the birth and spread of materialism). It'll take millennia before humanity as a species develops the understanding and wisdom we need for a truly prosperous life. We will get there, slowly but surely, as I don't believe humanity in its current state has the power to destroy itself or the planet. We're only children playing with toys.

A fair point. I hope that does not happen.

Yep. That's what I've been saying ever since covid first appeared. It's an illness, like a million others. We don't go into lockdown just because a lot of people have the regular flu which can also be deadly to the vulnerable. Then why the need for lockdown now? Why is there a ban on international travel for unvaccinated people when covid is literally everywhere by now? I have just as much, if not more chance to get it at work, or at the supermarket (just like I actually got it last summer) than visiting my parents in Hungary.

Is it really? I've got to play it too, I guess. :) The best story of a game I've played so far is The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone. Second place is a tie between Homeworld and Alan Wake.

FFXIV is a very slow and traditional mmo, I don't recommend it to most people... but... I do recommend watching story summaries of it on youtube... otherwise you are looking at 2000 hours of gameplay just to get to the ending of Endwalker (where the good stuff is) the other expansions had good stories too, but nothing compares to Endwalker. nothing.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
@lynx29 ......................... So can coco the gorilla build a spacecraft and travel to the moon? Can he cure/prevent thousands of diseases? I won't bore you by going further, Homo Sapiens have evolved thousands of times more than any other species in known history and in many cases in a much shorter timescale, I mean there are plenty of creatures out there that are cannibals :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@lynx29 ......................... So can coco the gorilla build a spacecraft and travel to the moon? Can he cure/prevent thousands of diseases? I won't bore you by going further, Homo Sapiens have evolved thousands of times more than any other species in known history and in many cases in a much shorter timescale, I mean there are plenty of creatures out there that are cannibals :)

Did going to the moon provide me with happiness? or did it spur the innovation of technology, technology which requires the use of the coltan mineral, 80% of which has been mined in the congo on slave labor for decades, where 2/3 the women have been raped as well. all so we can have our technology, thanks to the space race between two countries who wanted to obliviate each other out of power and dominance, two chimps having a pissing contest that spurred more death and suffering from their innovation then we care to contemplate on, hence why most humans turn a blind eye to the congo.

did advanced rocketry do anything for me? or do i still live in a society where i can't afford medicine for a better quality of life, perhaps koko the gorilla is right, love is everything, first and foremost. love and laughter. koko taught me well, your rockets taught me nothing.

cure/prevent disease, meh, debatable. i needed a breathing machine12 years ago, and still can't afford to get one in the worlds richest country.

D

Deleted member 24505

Did going to the moon provide me with happiness? or did it spur the innovation of technology, technology which requires the use of the coltan mineral, 80% of which has been mined in the congo on slave labor for decades, where 2/3 the women have been raped as well. all so we can have our technology, thanks to the space race between two countries who wanted to obliviate each other out of power and dominance, two chimps having a pissing contest that spurred more death and suffering from their innovation then we care to contemplate on, hence why most humans turn a blind eye to the congo.

did advanced rocketry do anything for me? or do i still live in a society where i can't afford medicine for a better quality of life, perhaps koko the gorilla is right, love is everything, first and foremost. love and laughter. koko taught me well, your rockets taught me nothing.

cure/prevent disease, meh, debatable. i needed a breathing machine12 years ago, and still can't afford to get one in the worlds richest country.

If you'd have been in the UK you probably would have got one. Your rich country only cares about money, not its populace. I think humans can be redeemed once we wake up, but not in my lifetime, or probably in the next. hopefully soon as we wake up to the destructiveness of religion, and the fact that whatever colour we are, we are all human and should work together, not live by the belief in greed, and material crap. Believe me, because of the shit i have had off fellow humans i have been close to kissing it goodbye, but i am stubborn and stay alive as a fuck you to the rest of humanity. It seems to me, very few people actually give a fuck about anyone but themselves, possibly their family's, but that is the one redeeming nature of humans since the days we were hitting things with bones. Maybe if we stpped spending so much money on mutal destruction we might actually start helping each other, but i doubt it will happen until it is too late.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
From what I've seen and experienced, it's rarely about wealth. For example, my wife is about 20 years my junior. I wanted more kids and women my age at the time were mostly unavailable or were done having kids. So my choices were limited to younger women or not having more kids. Naturally I looked to younger women. When she and I met neither one of us was in a strong financial situation. We met, the chemistry clicked and so did everything else, save some of my family not liking her(and because of that you all can guess how often I talk to those members of my family). We built our life together, hand in hand, like people are supposed to do.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So you judge the success of evolution based on your happiness because of it? :roll: As for space travel, you can zoom this ...............

https://d2pn8kiwq2w21t.cloudfront.net/original_images/infographicsuploadsinfographicsfull11358.jpg

I do actually yes. We have a lot to learn from nature still, yet in our arrogance we think going to space will help us. Mars will never happen, let alone anything beyond Mars, try all you want, I would bet money in 500 years Mars still isn't a good place to be. In fact I imagine aliens who can do spacefaring figured out a way to create a symbiosis among themselves and the world they lived in.

Humans will try and try, and eventually collapse as they waste all their finite resources on short term profits, but perhaps we will still be remembered someday when a spacefaring species comes to view our buried remnants.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Bah that's what kids were made for ,want spends, wash my car, simple. :)

Though I do have to help doing the roof and we do look mental bothering at night which is typically when kids phones have ran out of charge enough to get going on it.

D

Deleted member 24505

Have to say, i think spending billions possibly trillions to go to mars for what? is a waste of money. Imo it is not going to net us anything useful apart from very expensive red sand.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Have to say, i think spending billions possibly trillions to go to mars for what? is a waste of money. Imo it is not going to net us anything useful apart from very expensive red sand.
Well you never know, there may be another huge comet hurtling towards earth sometime in the future, it would be nice if those around had some place to evacuate to :p

Software Windows 10 Pro
So you judge the success of evolution based on your happiness because of it? :roll:
Should there be any other purpose for success and evolution? I mean, why advance in a field if it results in nothing? Life's purpose is happiness, yours and your loved ones. Otherwise, it's just wasted 80-odd years.

Actually, going to space provided me with some happiness. Learning about the universe makes me happy in a strange way. Other than that, I agree.

Bah that's what kids were made for ,want spends, wash my car, simple. :)

Though I do have to help doing the roof and we do look mental bothering at night which is typically when kids phones have ran out of charge enough to get going on it.
Fair enough. :) With no kids, I don't have that luxury. I just need to find some motivation that I currently don't even have the trace of. :D

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Well you never know, there may be another huge comet hurtling towards earth sometime in the future, it would be nice if those around had some place to evacuate to :p

I agree it will be important to do this as soon as we can, but I am afraid your venture will fail unless you fulfill the pre-requisites that are the limit of physics, finite resources, and a symbiotic greater understanding of how the Cosmos works. Where as if you are patient, and the powers that be instead focused on fixing this planet first (which I do think is possible, just not probable, Elon could be the champion of this but he chose another route).

Actually, going to space provided me with some happiness. Learning about the universe makes me happy in a strange way. Other than that, I agree.

I think you misunderstand me, I am specifically speaking of rockets and space travel of the human species, I love telescopes, I love Hubble and I am sure I will love JWST, but those are a magnitude cheaper to fund than human space flight. If anything it should be pre-programmed or remote control robots on Mars for decades building us a decent starting point, the idea of sending men to Mars within 10 years as Elon wants to is a waste of resources, similar to his Tesla orbiting Mars right now.

possibly trillions
I don't think you understand just how much a trillion is. Not going to happen. It might cost as much a 10 to 15 billion, but not much more.
to go to mars for what?
To do it and get out into the solar system. We can't keep mining Earth forever and there are plenty of minerals that are difficult to mine on Earth be easy to get at out in space and on Mars. Having a permanent and sustanible outpost on Mars will be very useful to any and all interplanetary space operations. The Moon is first but Mars will soon follow.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't think you understand just how much a trillion is. Not going to happen. It might cost as much a 10 to 15 billion, but not much more.

To do it and get out into the solar system. We can't keep mining Earth forever and there are plenty of minerals that are difficult to mine on Earth be easy to get at out in space and on Mars. Having a permanent and sustanible outpost on Mars will be very useful to any and all interplanetary space operations. The Moon is first but Mars will soon follow.

Mars will cost way more than that, JWST cost 10 billion, and its just a telescope going a fraction of the distance. Not sure your logic on this one.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Should there be any other purpose for success and evolution? I mean, why advance in a field if it results in nothing? Life's purpose is happiness, yours and your loved ones. Otherwise, it's just wasted 80-odd years.

Fair enough. :) With no kids, I don't have that luxury. I just need to find some motivation that I currently don't even have the trace of. :D
No kids here either I use my cousin's kids , they're just as eager for spends even off me though I suspect my own kids would get payed less :/ :D.

I think a populated moon base with extensive research facilities and a few dark side of the moon telescopes gets us off planet in a useful , and purposeful way, I actually agree that going Mars is symbolic and pointless at this time.

Ala buck Rodgers, they had it about right.

Mars will cost way more than that
Not for the first trip.
JWST cost 10 billion
Over the space of 20 years and most of the cost went into developing completely new technologies specifically made for the JWT mission. Going to Mars will not require such. Adaptation to existing technology and science as all that is required at this point. No part of the mission to Mars will require cooling to a few degrees K above absolute zero.