• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon RX 570 driver fails to load following update - Windows 10

Devack

So, I bought a Radeon RX 570 off of eBay about a month ago to finish building a new PC. Ran fine the whole time. Then yesterday, while I was at work, Windows updated the drivers, and now the drivers fail to load. I've tried reverting the drivers to a previous version, uninstalled and reinstalled them in both normal and Safe Mode, but nothing seems to work. On top of this, the AMD software also refuses to load, even when updated to the latest version. I'm honestly at my wit's end, and could use some help. The card must still be working, as it's loading the generic drivers, the monitor's plugged into the Radeon, and I'm still getting some sort of video signal despite my motherboard not having an onboard GPU, but the drivers aren't loading for some reason.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 719
  • untitled2.gif
    untitled2.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 691
  • untitled3.gif
    untitled3.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 682

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Go on the web and get the tool Display Driver Uninstaller. Get the last working driver you had, or the Radeon Pro For Enterprise drivers, even the latest adrenaline that are for your specific card. Get the Latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Disconnect your ethernet cord or turn off your wifi adapter.

Then run Display Driver Uninstaller, follow the directions it specifies (might try to use the option of switching gpu die makers). Restart when prompted.

Rule of thumb is to run twice in windows, once in safe mode.

While still disconnected

Install chipset drivers, restart.

Install gpu drivers, restart.

Reconnect to internet.

So, I bought a Radeon RX 570 off of eBay about a month ago to finish building a new PC. Ran fine the whole time. Then yesterday, while I was at work, Windows updated the drivers, and now the drivers fail to load. I've tried reverting the drivers to a previous version, uninstalled and reinstalled them in both normal and Safe Mode, but nothing seems to work. On top of this, the AMD software also refuses to load, even when updated to the latest version. I'm honestly at my wit's end, and could use some help. The card must still be working, as it's loading the generic drivers, the monitor's plugged into the Radeon, and I'm still getting some sort of video signal despite my motherboard not having an onboard GPU, but the drivers aren't loading for some reason.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)

that first pic you uploaded suggests drivers are loading, but must be rather old ones....which is common when Windows is the one installing them lol
Actually it looks like 10-18-21 was the driver release date you have based on 2nd pic? that's not really old in my book. but if you got problems with them then you gotta try something

See under "Display Adapters" it lists your GPU? That along with the pop up message both suggest a driver is loaded. If no AMD GPU driver was loaded it would be a generic one and instead of seeing "Radeon RX 570 series" it would list "Microsoft basic display adapter"....the pop up message even says the problem is the Radeon Software version isn't compatible due to the drivers being too old....meaning it detects an AMD GPU driver. So I don't think your story about drivers not loading is accurate. Nonetheless, download the whole AMD GPU driver package, it should be installing all associated drivers and the AMD Radeon Software ("Adrenaline") at the same time. specific DL link you need is here. Select what your system is and these are the latest driver package which look like literally came out yesterday

the advice given is sound, though idk if the motherboard chipset step is really needed. it's introducing another variable changing two things at once being both GPU drivers and chipset drivers (you will never know which one fixed it if it does work). so personally I would do GPU drivers before resorting to updating chipset drivers also. I like knowing exactly what resolved the issue when I troubleshoot, so doing multiple things at once doesn't lend to that. It shouldn't hurt updating them both at same time, it just may be unnecessary.

If you don't know the last working driver version like suggested above, then I'd use much older drivers, I use 19.11.3 on my polaris cards (post 19 drivers lead to corruption and black screens).

Is this an ex mining graphics card? If so, are you sure you used regular AMD drivers for it and didn't use patches, etc?

Also as said above, I'm not sure you're describing the happenings accurately, because if the drivers weren't loading at all you wouldn't be seeing what's shown in those screenshots.

Devack

Go on the web and get the tool Display Driver Uninstaller. Get the last working driver you had, or the Radeon Pro For Enterprise drivers, even the latest adrenaline that are for your specific card. Get the Latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Disconnect your ethernet cord or turn off your wifi adapter.

Then run Display Driver Uninstaller, follow the directions it specifies (might try to use the option of switching gpu die makers). Restart when prompted.

Rule of thumb is to run twice in windows, once in safe mode.

While still disconnected

Install chipset drivers, restart.

Install gpu drivers, restart.

Reconnect to internet.
I installed the latest chipset drivers as part of an earlier fix attempt, will that affect anything? If not, I assume I can skip that step?

Is this an ex mining graphics card? If so, are you sure you used regular AMD drivers for it and didn't use patches, etc?

It is. The drivers I initially installed were the ones from the AMD site, so I assume they're the regular ones.

Welp. Tried installing the latest drivers after running DDU. DIDN'T WORK

Tried installing older drivers, again after running DDU. DIDN'T WORK.

Kept getting the same error message that lead me to state that the driver isn't loading. Which I've screenshot for you.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 452
Case Lian Li O11-D
I didn't catch immediately in your first pic that you have an error message in Device Manager associated with your GPU...notice the lil yellow warning sign? What does that error message say? might give us a better clue of what the problem is

mining GPU.....that's not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling you don't have something else going on here too if it was modified by the previous owner. even if it worked for X hours/days/weeks, too many others have said the same thing. Like they test the card for 15mins to make sure it works and think they are in the clear....then the next day their system won't post or they don't get a display or another dozen different issues

now looking at your latest screen shot as you start that install process the only display driver present on the system should be the generic "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". when the specific AMD GPU driver is installed it should work as intended, I believe after it asks/forces you to restart your system that is. maybe your display flashes or turns black a couple times during this process too. upon reboot the driver package finishes up/finalizes the install. so is this failing and giving you that pop up error BEFORE or AFTER that restart? it would help know where exactly in the install process it screws up. I see in the pic it looks like during the install phase of Radeon Software which makes sense with the associated pop up error, but I don't recall off the top of my head if that is installed prior or post the restart I mentioned. If you haven't been doing so, make sure you are selecting "Factory Reset" when you start this install process too.

as a last resort there is always the nuke option of testing it on a clean install of Windows. doesn't mean you gotta wipe your current drive. hopefully you got a spare for such troubleshooting

Devack

so is this failing and giving you that pop up error BEFORE or AFTER that restart?

Before the restart.

I didn't catch immediately in your first pic that you have an error message in Device Manager associated with your GPU...notice the lil yellow warning sign? What does that error message say? might give us a better clue of what the problem is

See attached screenshot

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3 MB · Views: 304
Case Lian Li O11-D
OK thanks! so even though the GPU is there and "detected", it's like it has been disabled or lost communication is basically what that Code 43 means, the device has been stopped as a result. If I am not mistaken you get the same error shown if you were to right click on the device and select "disable" (don't quote me on that though - I'm using my work PC right now and cannot test stuff like to verify lol). Knowing this error is present, it would explain why all your driver install attempts failed. I'm actually surprised it even started them, I woulda thought it would say it didn't even detect an AMD GPU present and wouldn't even start the install. We gotta fix that error first, but unfortunately I am not sure what to suggest for that. But at least now there is an explanation for why you're having the problem. An explanation for why the problem started though....I also don't know. I know....super helpful right?

bit of a hail marry, but try a total power down of the system. shut down. flip the off switch on the PSU. unplug from the wall. unplug GPU from PCIe slot and even remove the aux PCIe power cables. then reinstall it and power everything back up. make sure the PCIe aux power cables are connected well to both the PSU and GPU and PCIe slot and GPU's PCIe finger look clean and no obvious damage before reinstalling. hoping that will get the GPU to be detected and communicate with Windows as it should. good luck. if that doesn't work I hope someone else can better guide you through a Code 43 error fix.....I'd like to learn what to do for this actually as well.

Devack

OK thanks! so even though the GPU is there and "detected", it's like it has been disabled or lost communication is basically what that Code 43 means, the device has been stopped as a result. If I am not mistaken you get the same error shown if you were to right click on the device and select "disable" (don't quote me on that though - I'm using my work PC right now and cannot test stuff like to verify lol). Knowing this error is present, it would explain why all your driver install attempts failed. I'm actually surprised it even started them, I woulda thought it would say it didn't even detect an AMD GPU present and wouldn't even start the install. We gotta fix that error first, but unfortunately I am not sure what to suggest for that. But at least now there is an explanation for why you're having the problem. An explanation for why the problem started though....I also don't know. I know....super helpful right?

bit of a hail marry, but try a total power down of the system. shut down. flip the off switch on the PSU. unplug from the wall. unplug GPU from PCIe slot and even remove the aux PCIe power cables. then reinstall it and power everything back up. make sure the PCIe aux power cables are connected well to both the PSU and GPU and PCIe slot and GPU's PCIe finger look clean and no obvious damage before reinstalling. hoping that will get the GPU to be detected and communicate with Windows as it should. good luck. if that doesn't work I hope someone else can better guide you through a Code 43 error fix.....I'd like to learn what to do for this actually as well.

I disabled the device before doing anything else, and it didn't show the Code 43 error (First screenshot). I then shut everything down, flipped the switch on the power supply, etc as you suggested, before removing the card. I took the opportunity to take some pics of the card to see if anyone could see any damage I overlooked, reseated the card, and reattached everything, before powering the computer back on. And it seems to have not fixed the Code 43 error by itself (Disabling the device and reenabling did nothing), so I may still have to do something to make sure it can communicate with the system.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20220204_134256.jpg
    IMG_20220204_134256.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20220204_134300.jpg
    IMG_20220204_134300.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20220204_134306.jpg
    IMG_20220204_134306.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20220204_134310.jpg
    IMG_20220204_134310.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 277
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 295
Case Lian Li O11-D
ahh thanks for trying! I had the code # wrong trying to remember off the top of my head. it's clearly something different when you disable the device, #22 instead of #43 so thanks again for sharing.

it was a long shot, just wanted to see if a good 'ol reseating would get the system to think "hey new component is installed" and maybe by chance it is properly recognized.

there are tons of hits that will come up googling Code 43 errors with most of them being rando forum posts and run of the mill "tech" sites listing generic gibberish like "install latest drivers". It does not sound like a fun problem to troubleshoot unfortunately. I have no idea if this means something could be wrong with hardware, the GPU, the firmware, the GPU VBIOS, or the software, settings within Windows 10. I'm literally shooting in the dark here and hope someone else chimes in with more confident advice. I think it's safe to say it's not the driver's fault at this point though.

any chance you have another system to put the GPU in? chances are it will have the same Code 43 error but will tell you 100% if it's the GPU or something related to the specific system you're using right now. if it works in the different system.....then it's your current system that is the issue. if it has the Code 43 error in another system, something is wrong with GPU itself whether hardware or VBIOS issue.

Devack

any chance you have another system to put the GPU in? chances are it will have the same Code 43 error but will tell you 100% if it's the GPU or something related to the specific system you're using right now. if it works in the different system.....then it's your current system that is the issue. if it has the Code 43 error in another system, something is wrong with GPU itself whether hardware or VBIOS issue.
Unfortunately, I do not.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
As i saw from your GPU-z picture, it seems that you use one of the latest drivers from AMD.
Please remove it and use an older version for your card.

I personally do not recommend to use for RX400 and RX500 series the latest drivers, cause AMD do not improve anything in those drivers for this old cards.
The only thing they do eventually is to correct some games errors or glitches.
So i would suggest to use on older driver using the following procedure :

I would suggest to remove old drivers ONLY by using DDU.
This is a tool exactly for that.
You will do it in safe mode with the network disconnected.
After you restart computer (w/o network) windows won't be able to install auto the drivers due to the lack of network.
Now you will be able to clean install the drivers you desire.
As i said earlier DO NOT use the latest drivers, since AMD is known for ignoring the old video cards in the latest drivers. All they improve (actually they only correct) some errors in games reported by players.
So try to use a 2019-2020 version.
I would suggest the following:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-9-2

or

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-2

After you finished reinstall drivers but before you put the network cable back on, you will block windows 10 to autoupdate.

To disable automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and click the top result to launch the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following path:
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.

5. Check the Disabled option to turn off automatic updates permanently on Windows 10.
  6. Click the Apply button.
  7. Click the OK button.

After you complete the steps, the system will stop downloading updates automatically.
However, the ability to check for updates manually will continue to be available on Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button to download the most recent patches.

Only now you can reconnect the network.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Here you go
Remove the heatsink, get pictures of ram chips to include a close up of the white stenciling on them.

The bios you have for sure is a mining bios, possibly wrong memory to boot.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Devack

Yes because they cause instability
Gotcha. After trying to install an older driver as suggested by @impero (Which failed, but I'm leaving it on the 2019 driver he linked, and still went ahead and disabled automatic driver updating), I unplugged everything like before, and took out the card. I then removed the heatsink (Which I was afraid I'd break something while doing, but it seems to be okay.), and got the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_233037.jpg
    IMG_20220204_233037.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20220204_233044.jpg
    IMG_20220204_233044.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 404
  • IMG_20220204_233047.jpg
    IMG_20220204_233047.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 369
  • IMG_20220204_233055.jpg
    IMG_20220204_233055.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20220204_233059.jpg
    IMG_20220204_233059.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 416
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
OK, based on your card ID and memory chips (now we are 100% that you have Elpida) below are some BIOS files that match your card :

Devack

OK, based on your card ID and memory chips (now we are 100% that you have Elpida) below are some BIOS files that match your card :
Okay, so how do I install these?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Get amdvbflash 3.31 from this site, install the driver after you unzip the folder, run the Windows version first and let us know how it went

In order to flash your card here is the procedure :
Download please an older version of atiflash (2.93)
Put AtiFlash folder in root (c:\) so you will have c:\AtiFlash
Save the BIOS file you have (one at a time from the list above) in the AtiFlash folder and rename it as RX570.rom
Open CMD with admin privileges.
(Win+S key to open search box. In search box enter word : cmd and on result that appear right click on it and choose "run as administrator" )
BIOS switch must be set to position 1 - we will flash ONLY the BIOS1 right now. (or the one that is wrong...you know which one you need to flash)
Use CD command to enter AtiFlash folder (directory)
Use the following command to forceflash:
amdvbflash -p -f -fa -fs 0 RX570.rom
After BIOS is flashed a message will appear to restart computer

Keep us informed how it went

Attachments

• commands to follow in CMD.jpg
    commands to follow in CMD.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 303
  • CMD with admin priv.jpg
    CMD with admin priv.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 303

Devack

In order to flash your card here is the procedure :
Download please an older version of atiflash (2.93)
Put AtiFlash folder in root (c:\) so you will have c:\AtiFlash
Save the BIOS file you have (one at a time from the list above) in the AtiFlash folder and rename it as RX570.rom
Open CMD with admin privileges.
(Win+S key to open search box. In search box enter word : cmd and on result that appear right click on it and choose "run as administrator" )
BIOS switch must be set to position 1 - we will flash ONLY the BIOS1 right now. (or the one that is wrong...you know which one you need to flash)
Use CD command to enter AtiFlash folder (directory)
Use the following command to forceflash:
amdvbflash -p -f -fa -fs 0 RX570.rom
After BIOS is flashed a message will appear to restart computer

Keep us informed how it went
I flashed it with the most recent BIOS of the list you provided, and gentlemen... I do believe it worked!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 431
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    17 KB · Views: 408
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 327
Yes mate it did.
We are glad that you did it!
Cheers