• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zaunkoenig M2K Gaming Mouse

pzogel

Reviewer
Exclusively intended for fingertip grip, the 24 g Zaunkoenig M2K is the world's lightest gaming mouse. With a carbon fiber body, Japanese Omron main button switches, and driverless 8000 Hz polling rate, the M2K is built for the lowest latency possible without compromising on anything.

Show full review

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Damn, if they could make a wireless version, maybe one charged magnetically with the mouse mat i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Can't imagine going back to a wired mouse in 2022 though, no matter how light the cable is.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Cannot now game without at least one thumb button, and as a fingertip grip mouser, it does not interfere with the grip as long as the sides of the mouse are flat and near-vertical and the thumb button is high enough from the base....

Hi, as someone who has been using these things extensively (and exclusively) for almost two years - I'd like to point out some handy-dandy things about them, as well as some "what about them"-s!
lilmouse5.jpg
(yes, since the original Kickstarter)
(don't mind the two ceramic feet in the center, it was just a silly yet photogenic test)

The most pertinent topic, is who this mouse is useful for -
I do have that fingertip grip and would love to try it out... but 300 euros just for a toy? No thanks.
As this is not an unusual concern.

This mouse is most useful to people who spend entirely too much time making very heavy use of their mouse.
Professional players, semi-professionals, people with ambitions of joining the former two - all of them people who might average 3+ hours of practice on the daily.
Usually within RTS or FPS, but I'm sure there are other places where mousing about like a crazy person is mandatory.

But Why?
The very low weight, as well as the finger-centric mode of operation, means that you only strain the most vulnerable joint in the hand - the wrist - a fraction of what you'd do with a normal mouse.

As an example of how much more durable fingers are compared to wrists, I'd suggest top Guitar Hero players as a good one.
They suffer from hand-related problems, as any extreme user does from all the practice - but it is primarily the strumming hand, the wrist-heavy one which suffers.
The fretboard hand - which also performs insane, rapid motions for hours - usually only comes out with cramps. This is has also been my experience with the M1K/M2K.

This means that you can either practice just as hard, without any problems - or practice harder using this Newfound Advantage for the same (usually lower) level of smashing your mousehand.

It is not a Toy - it is a valueable Tool!
A tool which lets you grind with less concern for ending up as one of the many people who get knocked out due to wear-and-tear related hand injuries.

Supply is extremely limited due to the thing being hand-assembled, hand-tuned - the slam-clicks are due to careful pre-tensioning of the buttons, not a bug - and the shell being likewise hand-crafted through a painful process, all by only two people.
So unless this sounds like something you would find useful, I wouldn't recommend straining the poor guys who already look like they've aged ten years in two. :)

Beyond that - there is another funny "feature" of the mouse that I noticed rather early on.
Unlike normal mice, which I average about 3-6 movements per second with, this one instead averages 9-12 movements per second - with peaks above 15!
That's discrete and deliberate movements, based on subconsciously processed visual input, within 70 milliseconds of eachother. Rather crazy, but true!

My best guess as for why this exists, is that the very low weight allows halting the mouse and starting a new movement much faster.
This effect is lost on "mud" mousepads, so I personally recommend very slippery ones* to make the best of this Feature.

A Feature such as this doesn't exist in a vaccuum - and after spending a lot of Hard Practice time on mastering the mouse, I've come to rather consistently utilize its usefulness;
If you use the mouse with enough "sensitivity" for the fingers to have enough of a say on where you shoot, then it means that you can be smoothly tracking a target with wrist and forearm movements - then suddenly snap onto their head by nudging the mouse with your fingers, mid-track, like some sort of analogue Aim Key wizard, and continue tracking their head like nothing happened.

Before you master it, it will look like uncontrolled jittering - after you master it, it will look like you're cheating. ; )

* though beware the fact that the more slippery the mousepad, the more practice time it requires to control the mouse properly

A fun toy, a new mouse-handling paradigm, and a fantastic mouse all within the same package.

~ B.

Would have been cool to see a performance head-to-head against the other 8k mice from Razer and Corsair. Difference shapes and audience, I know, but still would have been cool to see who takes the performance crown.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
This lightweight trend is getting insane. What's next, zero gravity mouse?

This mouse isn't actually part of the "lightweight" trend - it's light because finger tendons are really weak, and a low weight is required for you to be able to push it around without getting cramps after 3-5 minutes.

When I say "push around" - I do mean pushing the mouse around with just the fingers, you can hold your wrist in place with your other hand and try it out.
The only sensation I get after four minutes of doing that with this mouse is a strained feeling in my wrist from holding it forcefully still that long. :- )

This is quite the contrast from a rather lightweight mouse butchered into lower weight (about 48 grams?) causing my fingers to cramp up after said three minutes.
For anyone curious, then no - this is not String Arms McWeakling speaking, I can bend a B-string (5th, largest string) on an electric bass at the first fret just fine.
lilmouse1.jpg
It is just that pure finger tendon strength - not finger + wrist + forearm strength as any Normal movement like bending a string draws on - is really weak.

Very weak - but quite precise, very fast and with very high endurance.

Last edited:
System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
This mouse isn't actually part of the "lightweight" trend - it's light because finger tendons are really weak, and a low weight is required for you to be able to push it around without getting cramps after 3-5 minutes.

When I say "push around" - I do mean pushing the mouse around with just the fingers, you can hold your wrist in place with your other hand and try it out.
The only sensation I get after four minutes of doing that with this mouse is a strained feeling in my wrist from holding it forcefully still that long. :- )

This is quite the contrast from a rather lightweight mouse butchered into lower weight (about 48 grams?) causing my fingers to cramp up after said three minutes.
For anyone curious, then no - this is not String Arms McWeakling speaking, I can bend a B-string (5th, largest string) on an electric bass at the first fret just fine.
View attachment 237383
It is just that pure finger tendon strength - not finger + wrist + forearm strength as any Normal movement like bending a string draws on - is really weak.

Very weak - but quite precise, very fast and with very high endurance.
I've got your point in your first post already. Don't get me wrong though. This mouse certainly isn't a trend, but only because it's not wireless and maybe because it's a fingertip grip which is not so common.
What I actually need is a small, lightweight, wireless, palm grip mouse. Much smaller than regular stuff from Logitech, Glorious and similar, as i have tiny palms and short fingers (in comparison to my overall body size).

Carbon fiber mice, or the lack thereof is something I've always wondered about from time to time, particularly with this light weight trend.

So I guess this company did it but man... there is no reason for this thing to be so expensive. Carbon fiber is a pretty easy and relatively cheap material to work with as long as it doesn't need to be placed under high stress loads. You can look at something like a carbon fiber mountain bike or road bike frame, (or a handle bar) in either application those are super expensive because they sometimes have 100s of layers of varying types carbon fiber that are all laid up by hand in a very meticulous way in order it to be strong, low weight, safe, and have very particular material characteristics. Also from the bike industry you have carbon fiber bottle cages which are stupid light but also very cheap, because they don't have to be engineered with specific strength, safety and material characteristics in mind, you only care about one metric which is low weight.

Carbon fiber mice, or the lack thereof is something I've always wondered about from time to time, particularly with this light weight trend.

So I guess this company did it but man... there is no reason for this thing to be so expensive. Carbon fiber is a pretty easy and relatively cheap material to work with as long as it doesn't need to be placed under high stress loads. You can look at something like a carbon fiber mountain bike or road bike frame, (or a handle bar) in either application those are super expensive because they sometimes have 100s of layers of varying types carbon fiber that are all laid up by hand in a very meticulous way in order it to be strong, low weight, safe, and have very particular material characteristics. Also from the bike industry you have carbon fiber bottle cages which are stupid light but also very cheap, because they don't have to be engineered with specific strength, safety and material characteristics in mind, you only care about one metric which is low weight.
If they were two three-digit millionaires, they could easily afford to scale up production with the help of machines to manipulate the carbon fiber into the desired, very precise shape.

Unfortunately, they are just two dudes and a garage - and nobody has offered to supply industrial machinery yet. :oops:
Which is how they ended up aging ten years in two, after a thousand successful mice and quite the rubbish bin - as the yield is hardly 100%

Thus the unfortunate high price on garage-produced Best In Class goods.

Should someone come in, and lighten the burden by offering a competing and near-equivalent option - I doubt they would mind, as their big selling point is Quality Control, Setup and Support.
Though I will note that there have been a few freak-accidents, such as mystery dust particles in the sensor lens causing random spin-outs, a cable not surviving shipping, a button-tension setup job that didn't survive shipping, and probably more that I am not aware of.

Luckily, they're not Newegg and always help solve the problem one way or another. :wtf:
It's unlikely that you would have to wait six months on a working mouse like the O.G. Late 2019 Kickstarter that had a little 2020 happen during delivery time :--DDD

Unfortunately, they are just two dudes and a garage - and nobody has offered to supply industrial machinery yet. :oops:
Which is how they ended up aging ten years in two, after a thousand successful mice and quite the rubbish bin - as the yield is hardly 100%
I understand why its so expensive to make it they way they are, my point is thats its completely pointless to do it that way. If I bought all the raw materials for a toaster and assembled it by hand I'd have to charge $200+ for that too but wouldn't be any better than a $30 toaster from Walmart. Simple shapes are cheap and easy to produce in mass, and a mouse is pretty simple pedestrian thing, it doesn't benefit from being meticulously hand crafted. Only when you are trying to get all the material benefits of the material does carbon fiber become expensive and complex material to work with, a mountain bike for example.

Nobody should be paying $200+ for a hand crafted carbon fiber mouse when you could use modern efficient manufacturing techniques to do it for 1/4 the price, and have better quality control. They should look to Taiwan or China which is the mass production carbon fiber center of the world to make the shell for them. I think there is a market for a carbon fiber mouse but not at +$200.

I understand why its so expensive to make it they way they are, my point is thats its completely pointless to do it that way. If I bought all the raw materials for a toaster and assembled it by hand I'd have to charge $200+ for that too but wouldn't be any better than a $30 toaster from Walmart. Simple shapes are cheap and easy to produce in mass, and a mouse is pretty simple pedestrian thing, it doesn't benefit from being meticulously hand crafted. Only when you are trying to get all the material benefits of the material does carbon fiber become expensive and complex material to work with, a mountain bike for example.

Nobody should be paying $200+ for a hand crafted carbon fiber mouse when you could use modern efficient manufacturing techniques to do it for 1/4 the price, and have better quality control. They should look to Taiwan or China which is the mass production carbon fiber center of the world to make the shell for them. I think there is a market for a carbon fiber mouse but not at +$200.
Never thought about it this way, but I have to agree. I might just pay $200 for a wireless mouse with advanced features, cutting-edge technology and a wireless charging system included, but paying $200+ for these subjective, intangible benefits is too rich for my blood too.

After spending the last three days Hard♂Grind♂ing an FPS game (a funny Overwatch ""experimental change"" that re-ignited my interest in the game) for over 12 hours per day, I can indeed more or less confirm my hypothesis about its primary selling point being High User Endurance.

In spite of constantly practicing hard while waiting between games, and playing 40 hours in three days while the Festival was closing - my hand, even the wrist, yes, is completely fine.
At the end of each session, I could barely walk straight - and all parts of my mouse arm were aching.
But the morning brought with it a new day, and no traces of yesterday's madness could be found - besides my knuckles being unusually red right around the tendon line. :oops:

Miraculous, one might say; Years of rust shaken off in a couple of weeks, improvements upon the old skill made in a couple of days, all without paying in blood and internal pain!

I wholly agree that for just a mouse - I would not pay much over a hundred euro.
I've thrown several hundred eurodollars at the boys at Zaunkoenig not for the mouse - but for them daring to dream, and daring to have a strong vision be completed.

Figuring out what exactly this new "unknown" mouse is good for, was just a bonus.