• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Router or other solution suggestings

markhodges78

Looking for a solution to enforce bandwidth control per device. The problem I'm facing is my kids don't know how to do just 1 thing they must have 1 device streaming netflix another streaming music and serving on there phone while doing homework on there pc so when I set down to watch something on netflix all I get is buffing lol ... so i'm thinking either have to find a router to do what I need ( which it seems like all the ones i've seen just does prioritizing ) what i would like to do is allocate bandwidth for each device. is it possible to maybe go from modem then go to a managed switch and then go to 4 or 5 routers and use the switch to allocate bandwidth on each port or is there an easier way

Thanks Mark

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I got one, hehehe :)

Perhaps you could provide a little moar info, like maybe your main usage & speed requirements, home size & construction, number of connected devices, and even maybe a price range/budget...

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
Not sure but the QoS feature on OpenWRT allows you to set download/upload caps on a per device basis.

4 or 5 routers
This dosn't make any sense. Do you mean AP (access points)?

Regardless you can only have one router per network. I would suggest creating an wireless network that is bandwidth limited and give that to your kids. If you your current router can't do that you can get an AP that can and use that instead of the Wi-Fi built into your current router.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
they must have 1 device streaming netflix another streaming music and serving on there phone while doing homework on there pc
NO, THEY DO NOT....

Seems like you have a "parental control" issue moar than anything else....

I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental or sarcastic, but if you are paying for the internet & cell phone services, and the electricity that powers it & their devices, then you have every right to decide who can do what & when & how.....

Fortunately there are routers with firmware controls that allows you to make the 1st part of these decisions. Be like your kids, and just "GOOGLE THEM"
The rest is up to you to make & enforce the rules as you see fit.

When these same issues arose with my kids years ago.... I told them that if they didn't like my rules, get a friggin job & pay for your own stuff (or they would have ZERO services or devices at all !).....oh and BTW, homework comes 1st, then dinner, then netflix or music etc.... until lights out from 9pm-5am that is...

markhodges78

By kids what I meant was my 17 year old son in high school and my 19 year old daughter in college she will be home for the summer and taking summer classes online... with my son playing sports we have practice's and games every day of the week so we are hardly ever home before 10 pm so it's not a problem except on the weekends. we live in a remote area where the cell service is not available so every one keeps the wifi on for there phones and with 4 phones on wifi 2 computers/ sons ps4 and a tv sometimes it gets tough with internet the phones will hog internet but they will also function find with 2 mbps they will self regulate if they need to but I would like to have a way to regulate the bandwidth in a way that it doesn't interfere with the tv..

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
By kids what I meant was my 17 year old son in high school and my 19 year old daughter in college she will be home for the summer and taking summer classes online... with my son playing sports we have practice's and games every day of the week so we are hardly ever home before 10 pm so it's not a problem except on the weekends. we live in a remote area where the cell service is not available so every one keeps the wifi on for there phones and with 4 phones on wifi 2 computers/ sons ps4 and a tv sometimes it gets tough with internet the phones will hog internet but they will also function find with 2 mbps they will self regulate if they need to but I would like to have a way to regulate the bandwidth in a way that it doesn't interfere with the tv..
Then you just need to set QoS limits this can be done on a per device basis or via a seperate SSID that limits bandwidth to all devices connected to it. You have 2 options, either get a decent router that can handle all your devices or have a seperate access point, nothing fancy something that enables you to set limits. Personally since your rural I would suggest grab a Comfast ew72 outdoor access point (V2 is a better unit but isn't yet supported by OpenWRT but I believe still has the features you require on stock) they are fairly cheap and the range is pretty incredible, I have 2 on my farm which pretty much covers the majority of the property so you can have WiFi out and about and not be cooped up inside.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Library or a coffee bar to do homework.

You need QOS, to cripple their bandwidth hogging, online classes dont require much

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
If your worried about online classes set up a schedule to open the gates during said times other than that cripple the freeloaders.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
You can limit the amount of ip addresses on the wifi or lan as well so that way they cant have all their devices on the network

Your specific devices assign, an ip address to, then only have 2 (1 each) available for their stuff

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
you mean like this one? you need to identify the devices then you set it up
i use tenda AC10U
Untitled.png

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Unless they are severely crosseyed they can't look at more than one device anyway.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Unless they are severely crosseyed they can't look at more than one device anyway.
if you are too lazy to check the device, just drop the connection and wait who will complain, they you know whose device it is :D

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I do this with a pfSense router. Pretty easy to set up. I have a VLAN on my WiFi that is bandwidth limited, but you can also very easily set it up on a device by device basis or even a group of devices. No smart switch or extra routers/AP necessary. It's all handled by the pfSense firewall.

This is the tutorial I followed to set up the limiter:

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
@markhodges78 - a new router will do you NO GOOD - "IF" your current service agreement with your ISP does not provide for enough bandwidth.

You need to look at your current service agree and see what "plan" you have. Then run speedtest.net and see what you are getting. Just note that most service agreements say "up to" some speed, and not a minimum. If you are getting what you are paying for, you may need to upgrade your plan to increase it.

What wireless router do you currently have? And what modem? If integrated, what device (commonly called a "residential gateway" device)?

I might also suggest Pandora. However, I recommend streaming Pandora with Pandorian, a really nice (and free!) desktop client for Pandora that provides one distinct advantage - it blocks all ads so they can listen to tunes for hours and not be interrupted once. Another really nice feature is it puts a small windows on the desktop instead of requiring an open browser page. :) And the good news for you is, streaming just audio consumes very little bandwidth. :) IMO, Pandorian catapults Pandora above and beyond all the other music streaming services. And no, I have no connection to Pandora or Pandorian. I just love listening to music when using my computer.

Also, if their cell phone plan offers unlimited data, you can disable WiFi access so they use the cell service instead of your Internet wireless service.

Other things you can do is connect your Netflix device via Ethernet instead of wireless. Also, if your current WAP (wireless access point - typically integrated with the wireless router) supports dual channel (both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands), for those wireless devices in close proximity to the WAP, try setting them up on 5GHz. The 5GHz band is faster, but sadly, is greatly limited by distance and barriers (walls, floors, ceilings).

I also agree to check your router for QoS.

NO, THEY DO NOT....

Seems like you have a "parental control" issue moar than anything else....

I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental or sarcastic, but if you are paying for the internet & cell phone services, and the electricity that powers it & their devices, then you have every right to decide who can do what & when & how.....

If the kids are dutifully doing their homework, parents need to stay out of the way and let them do it - especially if they are no longer young and habits are already established. In fact, we need to encourage and support them, and give them the tools they need to get it done. That's our job.

I would ask and encourage (at least when you are watching Netflix) they stick to streaming just music (not music videos) while doing homework (again, with Pandorian) - rather than them streaming Netflix. This is to free up bandwidth but also to avoid/limit distractions. But I would not stomp my foot down on this and instead, be glad they are doing their home work.

Maybe if you show them your monthly ISP bill, they might be inclined to see your side of things. I note my cable/Internet bill is more than my electricity, water/trash/sewer, and natural gas bills combined! :eek: :mad: :kookoo:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
a new router will do you NO GOOD - "IF" your current service agreement with your ISP does not provide for enough bandwidth.
Within reason, this is wrong. Assuming OP doesn't have absolute crap internet, which isn't a bad assumption since he is talking about things like limiting all phones to 2Mbps. A good router can very much help the situation of saturating the internet connection. Brute forcing the solution buy just getting more bandwidth is not necessary. Netflix will happily work with 5Mbps, but it will also consume 25Mbps+ if you let it. Does that mean you should just spend more money every month and buy more bandwidth just to let Netflix use all it wants? No.

Even if we ignore the 'multi-tasking" aspect. In a household of 4 people, all just watching Netflix, you're talking 100Mbps+ if you just let it run wild. And OP mentioned he is in a rural area, so 100Mbps might even be the max speed he can get, or even lower. I know a lot of the rural areas around me are stuck with maximums of 25-75Mbps. Then you add a Son that has Netflix running and starts playing games, and a daughter that is surfing on her phone while watching Netflix and you start to really issues. But limiting every streaming device to 5Mbps, and the problem goes away with no extra monthly cost and no real loss of quality of life.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Looking for a solution to enforce bandwidth control per device. The problem I'm facing is my kids don't know how to do just 1 thing they must have 1 device streaming netflix another streaming music and serving on there phone while doing homework on there pc so when I set down to watch something on netflix all I get is buffing lol
I have the same issue with my kids, the TV is streaming, the phone is streaming, the tablet is streaming, plus my wife is on her phone& laptop and I'm on my computer & phone but...streaming netflix (or Hulu, Amazon, HBO,etc.,) takes up maybe 2-4 Mbps. In fact I can go on my Asus app and see my real time traffic and I doubt it ever breaks 6 Mbps unless I'm downloading a large file. Most streaming services compress the crap out of their services. It could be your router, or your modem, or an upstream issue or the client. You need to check every possible issue but at the very least hardwire your Smart devices if possible.

Testing done from How to Geek on Netflix Streaming in 2018, they probably compress the signal even more these days.

ResolutionStreaming BitrateHourly Conversion
480p (720×480)1750 kbps~792 MB per hour
720p (1280×720)3000 kbps~1.3 GB per hour
1080p (1920×1080)4300-5800 kbps~1.9 GB to ~2.55 GB per hour
1440p (2560×1440)6350 kbps~2.8 GB per hour
4K (3840×2160)8000-16000 kbps~3.5 GB to ~7 GB per hour

Assuming OP doesn't have absolute crap internet, which isn't a bad assumption since he is talking about things like limiting all phones to 2Mbps. A good router can very much help the situation of saturating the internet connection.
Good router?, We have an outdated Linkys N600 router at work that handles the above and more with ease.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:rolleyes: Within reason, this is wrong.
:( Come on! Within reason, that is right.

"Assuming" the OP has... .

"If" we ignore...

:rolleyes:

Of course a good router could help. But we don't know what he has now - that is why I asked what router (and modem) he currently has, instead of just assuming it is subpar. He may already have a fast, dual-channel router.

CLEARLY my point was it "could" easily be his IPS service agreement that is his bottleneck, and not his current router - and so he needs to check that too.

I mean gee whiz, newtekie1 - I even clearly made it a big IF to show this might, or might not be an issue here.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
easily be his IPS service agreement that is his bottleneck, and not his current router - and so he needs to check that too.
when I had comcast (almost ten years ago) and they were fighting with netflix, comcast would throttle netflix on purpose Friday & Saturday nights. Once Netflix agreed to pay their bribe service fee, all those issues instantly went away as if by magic.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Of course a good router could help. But we don't know what he has now - that is why I asked what router (and modem) he currently has, instead of just assuming it is subpar. He may already have a fast, dual-channel router.
Having a fast router is not what we are talking about here. You clearly don't understand the topic.
CLEARLY my point was it "could" easily be his IPS service agreement that is his bottleneck, and not his current router - and so he needs to check that too.
And my point is bandwidth from the ISP is not the point of this thread, but just the fact that they are using their current bandwidth inefficiently. They are already able to stream multiple netflix streams without issue, according to OP 3 streams if fine, the 4th starts to stutter. So just paying more money instead of forcing netflix to dial it's bandwidth usage back isn't the solution OP is looking for. Obviously "buy more bandwidth" would work, OP doesn't want that and suggesting it in this thread is nothing more than off-topic information.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
@markhodges78 - my bad. You did say you live in the boonies where you have no cell service - so that is also putting a demand on the bandwidth provided by your ISP, as well as your local network. But we still need to know what router you have, and your service agreement for they may be a bottleneck too.
4 phones on wifi 2 computers/ sons ps4 and a tv
The TV should not matter (unless that is the Netflix you are referring to).

How do the computers, PS4 and TV/Netflix connect to your network? Ethernet or wifi? If wifi, what band?

And my point is bandwidth from the ISP is not the point of this thread
Oh?

And where did the OP state what his service agreement calls for?

Where did the OP state which router he currently has?

Having a fast router is not what we are talking about here. You clearly don't understand the topic.
And you don't either because you don't have all the information to fully understand the the OPs problem.

You are just guessing, assuming you must be right and everyone else must be wrong! :(

You might be right. But until we have all the information, you might be wrong too.

markhodges78

I am at the end of a DSL line and the most they can guaranty me is 8 mbps but I get 10 sometimes. My router which I just bought with Hope's of bandwidth control is a tp link ax1800 but it dosen't do bandwidth control it only prioritizes.. we are in an area where the cell phones dont get any reception so everyone keeps there phones on wifi.. the modem is a what ever they provided...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, the 802.11AX dual band router is not your problem, IMO. But that slow DSL sure is not helping.

To me, being able to prioritize should.

Also, if you could put your Netflix on Ethernet, that would help too - many routers prioritize Ethernet over the wireless devices.

There is also the option to download your Network shows to your computer, then streaming from your computer.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I am at the end of a DSL line and the most they can guaranty me is 8 mbps but I get 10 sometimes. My router which I just bought with Hope's of bandwidth control is a tp link ax1800 but it dosen't do bandwidth control it only prioritizes.. we are in an area where the cell phones dont get any reception so everyone keeps there phones on wifi.. the modem is a what ever they provided...
You are in the sticks then, last mile from a dslam, I just recall over 10000 ft connections top out at 1.5 Mbps, so you must be within 2000 ft of 1 then

Your area has not enough demand for anything faster to justify a isp to run fiber to the homes