• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cox cable mini box: overheating?

I use a cox cable mini box to get cable television to my Asus pg279 via HDMI. Sometimes certain channels feature distorted video and audio and no amount of hard resets restore functionality (yet that's all Cox cable's "technical support" can suggest other that resets on their end). On cool nights and days though, all the channels seem to work perfectly. I've noticed the cox cable mini boxes get hot, but could they be overheating?

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I've noticed the cox cable mini boxes get hot, but could they be overheating?
To answer your question Yes it could wll be overheating

I'd sit a fan on top of it blowing cool air into it if it stops misbehaving then it was overheating if it doesn't then it's a hardware capability problem and would rewuire Cox to update their device with better internals than they currently supply

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I also have Cox and one of their mini-boxes. It stays pretty warm all the time. I would not, however, call it "hot". Without actual numbers, "Hot" is a subjective word. "Hot", in terms of electronics, means to me I can smell "that" smell of overheated electronics, or I cannot keep my hand on it indefinitely without it becoming very uncomfortable, or I would not want my little grandkids to put their hands on it.

The fact you say "boxes" - suggesting we are talking about more than one - would suggest to me they are not "over" heating since the odds of more than one failing at the same time would be pretty low - but not impossible.

Are you really saying this distorted video and audio is happening with more than one box?

Have you tried a different TV set?

Are you absolutely sure the coax cable to the mini-box in good repair and securely fastened? And have you swapped HDMI cables?

You say cool nights are not a problem. This suggests your home is not air conditioned. Did you have these boxes last year at this time? Any problems then? Or is this a new problem?

I agree that blowing a desk fan onto the box should reveal if heat is a problem.

How close is your nearest Cox store? If not too far away, just take it back and tell them you want a different one because that one keeps outputting distorted video. I have never had a problem exchanging devices. I have had to do it 3 times over the years with my Cox main cable box/DVR and a couple times to get new remotes - typically in and out in less than 5 minutes.

@Bill_Bright
Yes it happens on all the Cox mini boxes (three separate boxes) but the audio/video distortion isn't on the same channels. All the boxes get warm to the touch.

When they problems are happening though power cycling the box for 60 secs. doesn't seem to make any difference so maybe they aren't overheating.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I assume you also have a standard cable box. Does it do it there?

Have you checked your neighbors to see if they see the same thing? This will tell you if the whole neighborhood or just you.

Check the "drop" (cable coming into the house). If any splitters out there, they may be bad due to weathering/corrosion.

Note that splitters divide the signal strength too. So you need to make sure you have quality splitters as well as good connectors on each cable.

The better splitters have a 5 to 2400MHz bandpass spec too.

@Bill_Bright
There are lots of splitters, practically every room in the house (incl. the kitchen) has a coax cable connection. They all worked fine back in the days of analog cable.

What's strange is that it's a hit and miss proposition whether or not certain channels will work and which channels work varies by room.

For example, AMC worked fine last night, but today, it's problematic, but it is slightly warmer now.

I don't think a fan would make any difference blowing on the plastic cover of the mini-boxes either.

We don't have any standard cable boxes, only the cox mini-boxes. I'm guessing it's because the mini-boxes have the DAC's to work with old cable televisions (of which there are still two left).

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
If they have usb on them you can use that to power a fan, I did that way back in the day with my old dsl box which got hot to the touch, newer stuff has better heatsinks inside to deal with heat issues. Issue could be that connection is split between many devices, can you do a diagram of your setup with ms paint?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't think a fan would make any difference blowing on the plastic cover of the mini-boxes either.

Since you are talking about this problem appearing with 3 different mini-boxes, and now you say "warm" instead of "hot", I don't believe this is a heat problem, therefore I don't see how the fans would help.

Analog went away a long time ago. That tells me your current splitters are old, and most likely only 1000MHz (or less). Analog also had a stronger signal strength and was more tolerant of deviations.

Splitters don't actually wear out, but they do corrode over time, get full of dust and dirt (and kitchen grease). And the connectors can work loose. Plus, high definition requires more bandwidth.

If your house was wired a long time ago, it may use RG-59 coaxial cable. That was fine back then. And is still fine for short runs. But RG-6 is much better.

I think you should get a pad and pencil and map out your cable network.

Are you using Cox for your Internet too?

I have one 2-way splitter on the coax coming into the house. One side goes to my modem. The other feeds all the TVs in the house. You want to use the minimum number of splits and splitters from there. Note that unused splits still sap signal strength. So, for example, if you have a 3 way splitter going to the bedrooms but only have two mini-boxes feeding off that splitter, the signal strength is still being divided 3 ways even though one split is unused.

I always make my own cables too. This requires a set of "quality" crimpers and some good F-Type coax connectors. Cheap crimpers will cost you more in the long run, and contribute greatly to high blood pressure and hair loss.

The advantage to making your own is if you need a 12 foot cable, you don't have to buy a 25 foot factory made cable.

I would start insisting Cox send a tech out to the house too. They need to measure the signal strength entering your home. If the drop goes back many years that cable should be replaced too. These days they use much better connectors and splitters (if needed) on the outside of the home too.

I had two unfortunate events that ended up being blessings in disguise. The first was a severe storm that came through. I live in Tornado Alley. This storm took out 1000s of trees and tree branches including a big one that took out my power and cable cables. I had no power for 5 days but that's a different issue. When cox came to restore my cable, they put in a whole new cable, leaving me enough slack inside the house to come directly into my middle bedroom/office closet. This means I have a straight run, no splices or splitters until it gets to this centrally located closet. That's a very good thing.

And right about the same time as that storm, my 30 year-old basement ceiling collapsed. I was furious - until I realized I could see all the floor joists for the main level upstairs. So I wired my house for cable and Ethernet - then put up a new ceiling.

Anyway, my point is, if your cabling is old, and especially uses RG-59, and if planning to stay in that house for a few more years, rewiring may be worth it. At the very least take care of the splitters.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Over the last 20 years I've had a few overheat. Not really uncommon.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, but 3 separate devices suddenly over heating and displaying the exact same symptoms would, however, be very uncommon.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I use a cox cable mini box to get cable television to my Asus pg279 via HDMI. Sometimes certain channels feature distorted video and audio and no amount of hard resets restore functionality (yet that's all Cox cable's "technical support" can suggest other that resets on their end). On cool nights and days though, all the channels seem to work perfectly. I've noticed the cox cable mini boxes get hot, but could they be overheating?

Yes, put a heatsink with fan on them using thermal tape

Since you are talking about this problem appearing with 3 different mini-boxes, and now you say "warm" instead of "hot", I don't believe this is a heat problem, therefore I don't see how the fans would help.

Analog went away a long time ago. That tells me your current splitters are old, and most likely only 1000MHz (or less). Analog also had a stronger signal strength and was more tolerant of deviations.

Splitters don't actually wear out, but they do corrode over time, get full of dust and dirt (and kitchen grease). And the connectors can work loose. Plus, high definition requires more bandwidth.

If your house was wired a long time ago, it may use RG-59 coaxial cable. That was fine back then. And is still fine for short runs. But RG-6 is much better.

I think you should get a pad and pencil and map out your cable network.

Are you using Cox for your Internet too?

I have one 2-way splitter on the coax coming into the house. One side goes to my modem. The other feeds all the TVs in the house. You want to use the minimum number of splits and splitters from there. Note that unused splits still sap signal strength. So, for example, if you have a 3 way splitter going to the bedrooms but only have two mini-boxes feeding off that splitter, the signal strength is still being divided 3 ways even though one split is unused.

I always make my own cables too. This requires a set of "quality" crimpers and some good F-Type coax connectors. Cheap crimpers will cost you more in the long run, and contribute greatly to high blood pressure and hair loss.

The advantage to making your own is if you need a 12 foot cable, you don't have to buy a 25 foot factory made cable.

I would start insisting Cox send a tech out to the house too. They need to measure the signal strength entering your home. If the drop goes back many years that cable should be replaced too. These days they use much better connectors and splitters (if needed) on the outside of the home too.

I had two unfortunate events that ended up being blessings in disguise. The first was a severe storm that came through. I live in Tornado Alley. This storm took out 1000s of trees and tree branches including a big one that took out my power and cable cables. I had no power for 5 days but that's a different issue. When cox came to restore my cable, they put in a whole new cable, leaving me enough slack inside the house to come directly into my middle bedroom/office closet. This means I have a straight run, no splices or splitters until it gets to this centrally located closet. That's a very good thing.

And right about the same time as that storm, my 30 year-old basement ceiling collapsed. I was furious - until I realized I could see all the floor joists for the main level upstairs. So I wired my house for cable and Ethernet - then put up a new ceiling.

Anyway, my point is, if your cabling is old, and especially uses RG-59, and if planning to stay in that house for a few more years, rewiring may be worth it. At the very least take care of the splitters.
Needs RG 6.

I do recall comcast having their tri play using a splitter l, if the modem knocked out or if a box knocked out it would cause problems for the rest especially foreign voltage from bad hdmi ports, same for AT&T

The station (AMC) that was unwatchable earlier this afternoon has now completely cleared up and the ambient temps are the same. Could it be something other than the internal cabling or the mini cable box overheating?

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Check the cables on the outside of the building, esp those in direct sunlight. Check for loose fittings or exposed shielding. Both of those can lead to water messing with the physics in/of the cable. Generally notice the condition of the connections...are they shiny and have seals, or tarnished/oxidized, or look cheap? Look for unterminated cable ends or uncapped splitter ports. These can let RF into the system and make the tuners work extra hard trying to demod the channel.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Check the cables on the outside of the building, esp those in direct sunlight. Check for loose fittings or exposed shielding. Both of those can lead to water messing with the physics in/of the cable. Generally notice the condition of the connections...are they shiny and have seals, or tarnished/oxidized, or look cheap? Look for unterminated cable ends or uncapped splitter ports. These can let RF into the system and make the tuners work extra hard trying to demod the channel.
The amount of improperly installed F connector fittings on Coaxial cable to include not tight, ticked me off about managers who installed Uverse services back in 2006(when they were techs), I worked for them in 2013, quit after 1 year of their bullshit

There are encapsulation devices that drown the ends in dielectric grease even, same with rubber sleeves.

If this was the issue then why does the problem come and go intermittently? Wouldn't it be consistently and always problematic?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
If this was the issue then why does the problem come and go intermittently? Wouldn't it be consistently and always problematic?
No

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The station (AMC) that was unwatchable earlier this afternoon has now completely cleared up and the ambient temps are the same. Could it be something other than the internal cabling or the mini cable box overheating?
I asked if your neighbors are having the problems too - did you check?
The amount of improperly installed F connector fittings on Coaxial cable to include not tight, ticked me
Another reason to make your own cables - or at least install your own terminations (connectors).

I have to say, however, that 2 years ago I had a problem with my DVR/cable box. A Cox tech came out and re-terminated the cable into the box. I was surprised at the quality of the connector used - it what top quality. And then he tested the cable for signal strength/loss. I commented on this and he agreed, saying they finally learned their lesson. That is, it is cheaper in the long run to use quality connectors and do proper testing the first time around than having to send a tech out again. No duh! It didn't fix my problem (I needed a new box) but still nice to know I have a good cable and signal.

Not necessarily. Symptoms of faulty cables and connections often first appear as intermittent problems that eventually result in total failure as the connection further deteriorates. A loose connection on the exterior of the house, for example, may result in worse problems when it is windy and/or rainy outside that then clear up after the storm passes and the connector dries out. Even things like the expansion and contraction of matter due to rising and falling air temperatures can result in intermittent problems.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I doubt overheating would cause the video signals to be distorted, it would probably just turn itself off. My guess is that it's something else.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
put a house hold fan blowing on it and see if the problem goes away, if it does maybe get a PC fan and attach a USB cable to it and hook it up to a hub.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is not "it". There are 3 of them. How likely is it that 3 separate devices in 3 different parts of the house would all fail at the same time with the same symptoms due to heat?

Why is it only certain channels though? The channels don't correspond to certain frequencies that are more affected by the deteriorating cable are they?
I think I'm going to call Cox cable and get them to come out and check the cabling. It'll be a 1970's nightmare I'm sure.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Why is it only certain channels though? The channels don't correspond to certain frequencies that are more affected by the deteriorating cable are they?
Cable characteristics absolutely do affect frequencies. That's one reason in radio electronics, antenna cables are often called transmission lines. And waveguides, which are ridged, use specific sizes and bends and turns have to be at precise angles, correlating exactly to the frequency or more accurately, the wavelength.

You say deteriorating cables - unless there is physical damage to the actual cable (rodent damage, kinks, cut insulation, etc), it more likely is problems with the connectors, as well as the number and quality of the splitters.

Is it always the exact same channels?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I asked if your neighbors are having the problems too - did you check?

Another reason to make your own cables - or at least install your own terminations (connectors).

I have to say, however, that 2 years ago I had a problem with my DVR/cable box. A Cox tech came out and re-terminated the cable into the box. I was surprised at the quality of the connector used - it what top quality. And then he tested the cable for signal strength/loss. I commented on this and he agreed, saying they finally learned their lesson. That is, it is cheaper in the long run to use quality connectors and do proper testing the first time around than having to send a tech out again. No duh! It didn't fix my problem (I needed a new box) but still nice to know I have a good cable and signal.

Not necessarily. Symptoms of faulty cables and connections often first appear as intermittent problems that eventually result in total failure as the connection further deteriorates. A loose connection on the exterior of the house, for example, may result in worse problems when it is windy and/or rainy outside that then clear up after the storm passes and the connector dries out. Even things like the expansion and contraction of matter due to rising and falling air temperatures can result in intermittent problems.

Bill, I was repairing the techs screw up.

Cable characteristics absolutely do affect frequencies. That's one reason in radio electronics, antenna cables are often called transmission lines. And waveguides, which are ridged, use specific sizes and bends and turns have to be at precise angles, correlating exactly to the frequency or more accurately, the wavelength.

You say deteriorating cables - unless there is physical damage to the actual cable (rodent damage, kinks, cut insulation, etc), it more likely is problems with the connectors, as well as the number and quality of the splitters.

I remember Channel 11 in Houston would always give my grandfather fits on Uverse, had nothing to do with his service but the output from the station itself.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Bill, I was repairing the techs screw up.
I gathered and totally believe that!

I remember Channel 11 in Houston would always give my grandfather fits on Uverse, had nothing to do with his service but the output from the station itself.
I expect the satellite feeds the cable providers get from all the stations come in a different levels. But I would hope :rolleyes: they equalize them before dumping those channels on to their cable networks.

Yes it is always the exact same channels WRT the room (AMC is problematic in my room depending on time of day), but the channels affected differ in different rooms (in my room channel 310 always works, but downstairs it never does).