• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3080TI undervolting advice?

Right now I'm trying to undervolt my GPU and I'm following this guide: https://github.com/LunarPSD/NvidiaOverclocking/blob/main/Nvidia Overclocking.md#undervolting

I'm just a bit confused as to why I have to increase my core clock to +125 before messing with the curve? I'm not overclocking since my GPU is factory overclocked and I don't want to mess with it for hours to get a 0.5fps boost, so is increasing the core clock to +125 necessary for the undervolt? Does the amount of voltage I should lower it to depend on what my core clock is?

If you're wondering what I'm referring to in the guide, there's a link that shows what I'm talking about here:

SPECS:
MB: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x16gb 3600mhz DDR4
CPU: i5-12600k
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Gaming OC 12G
SSD: Samsung 790 EVO 2TB

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
its not about another .5 fps but getting the most out of what you're undervolting to.

however never knew i had to, because i don't always. though fwiw, some nut jobs save undervolt/+clockspeeds profiles for different games. :kookoo:
:D

ir_cow

Staff member
The goal is to get the highest frequency with the lowest voltage. In that video, after editing the clock curve, the voltage is now capped at 925mv (0.925v). If left alone the video card will peak frequency at 1980Mhz. However the Curve is only working off NVIDIA boost. This means that the frequency is governed by voltage, temperature and total power draw allowed. By undervolting it, you use less power, generate less heat and therefore if done correctly can achieve a decent clock frequency at a lower power draw.

Regardless of your curve, the GPU still needs X voltage to reach X frequency. So you might be able to for example reach 1900 Mhz with .900mv, but 2000Mhz would need 1.05v. These numbers aren't exact, but you get the point.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
There are multiple ways to undervolt, that is one method where you up the core clock, and lower the maximum power target. I use a method where you pick one spot in the curve to be your top clock and can leave power untouched.

CTRL+F brings up the voltage curve. What I do is then hold CRTL and grab a point and drag the entire line down, then choose your undervolt target point, lets say its 825mv, drag that single point up to the desired speed, lets say 1830mhz and hit apply on the main MSI AB window, every point to the right of the one you applied should now be a flat line.

Companies like NVIDIA need to design and ship the cards with settings that work for absolutely everyone. So they need to have a clock/voltage curve that errs on the side of caution for stabilities sake. This does not take into account individual GPU variances and your win in the 'silicone lottery'. It's very easy with Ampere cards to achieve stock performance with a good undervolt.

There are multiple ways to undervolt, that is one method where you up the core clock, and lower the maximum power target. I use a method where you pick one spot in the curve to be your top clock and can leave power untouched.

CTRL+F brings up the voltage curve. What I do is then hold CRTL and grab a point and drag the entire line down, then choose your undervolt target point, lets say its 825mv, drag that single point up to the desired speed, lets say 1830mhz and hit apply on the main MSI AB window, every point to the right of the one you applied should now be a flat line.

Companies like NVIDIA need to design and ship the cards with settings that work for absolutely everyone. So they need to have a clock/voltage curve that errs on the side of caution for stabilities sake. This does not take into account individual GPU variances and your win in the 'silicone lottery'. It's very easy with Ampere cards to achieve stock performance with a good undervolt.
The goal is to get the highest frequency with the lowest voltage. In that video, after editing the clock curve, the voltage is now capped at 925mv (0.925v). If left alone the video card will peak frequency at 1980Mhz. However the Curve is only working off NVIDIA boost. This means that the frequency is governed by voltage, temperature and total power draw allowed. By undervolting it, you use less power, generate less heat and therefore if done correctly can achieve a decent clock frequency at a lower power draw.

Regardless of your curve, the GPU still needs X voltage to reach X frequency. So you might be able to for example reach 1900 Mhz with .900mv, but 2000Mhz would need 1.05v. These numbers aren't exact, but you get the point.
Right, so to be more specific; do I need to up the overclock anything to undervolt? Is there any benefit to upping the clocks before undervolting? And if I do overclock, would I need to choose a higher voltage during the undervolt?

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Best way to explain undervolting is you can get the same Clocks with lower voltage, therefore keeping the same performance but using less power.

Let say at default, your 3080Ti reach a stable clocks of 1950mhz @ 950mV, undervolting it down to 1950Mhz @ 850mV would reduce the power consumption by 50-70W, making your card run cooler&quieter.

Here is 3090 at stock
stock.png

Here is undervolting (-125mV)
undervolt.png

Right, so to be more specific; do I need to up the overclock anything to undervolt? Is there any benefit to upping the clocks before undervolting? And if I do overclock, would I need to choose a higher voltage during the undervolt?

Yes you need to overclock so you can keep the stock clocks but lower voltages, Ampere has plenty of overclocking headroom so try +180mhz overclock in conjunction with undervolting

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Right, so to be more specific; do I need to up the overclock anything to undervolt?
I don't often use that method but yes to make it an effective undervolt (without drastic underclocking too), you up the core clock by say 150mhz, then drop the power target, maybe start with +150mhz and 90% power target and see where it lands you? Or you can try the other method I gave if you have a specific clock frequency in mind.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Leave the clocks alone, start lowering the volts till you are unstable, then bump it up 1 or 2 notches from where you were unstable, if you were OC'd you'd start from stock volts and then lower it the same, so for stock clocks your volts may be lower than volts for an oc state

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
NV cards with Turbo Boost 3.0 will boost to whatever highest frequency and voltage (in this exact order), they see on F/V curve (limited to Vrel on BIOS side per NV spec).
You can't have ANY points on frequency higher than what your desired voltage is (flat line).
Otherwise your card can boost to max Vrel regardless of what you will set.

Increasing lower voltage point to be higher frequency than all points after it - is the simplest way to do this.
If you don't like it, just lower frequency on all points after certain one, so that they won't have higher frequency than it. That way, card will bypass them when boosting, and voltage GPU will use will be limited to value from that "certain poi
nt" (as can be seen on video you pointed to in first post).

Here's example of my downvolt F/V curve (it's "oc'ed", because it's stable at this frequency and this voltage) :

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

NV cards with Turbo Boost 3.0 will boost to whatever highest frequency and voltage (in this exact order), they see on F/V curve (limited to Vrel on BIOS side per NV spec).
You can't have ANY points on frequency higher than what your desired voltage is (flat line).
Otherwise your card can boost to max Vrel regardless of what you will set.

Increasing lower voltage point to be higher frequency than all points after it - is the simplest way to do this.
If you don't like it, just lower frequency on all points after certain one, so that they won't have higher frequency than it. That way, card will bypass them when boosting, and voltage GPU will use will be limited to value from that "certain poi
nt" (as can be seen on video you pointed to in first post).

Here's example of my downvolt F/V curve (it's "oc'ed", because it's stable at this frequency and this voltage) :

^ I also do it this way
You *must* have a flat line for it to work. Reset your clocks in AB, set it to minus clocks (as low as it goes) and then you can use ctrl-click and drag to raise the voltage you want, to the clocks you want.
1652852558939.png

1.6GHz lets me run every game at 120FPS+ (most need FPS capped to prevent it passing the 165Hz my monitor can display anyway)

I get crazy performance and drop from 350W to 210W:
(Values are max readings over the last 5 hours, most demanding game was dying light 2. i cropped the min/avg out)
1652852655503.png

Last edited:
So are the clock numbers and the voltage numbers equivalents? Let's say I up the clock speed by 25. Would lowering the voltage curve by 25 be an effective undervolt? And if they are, wouldnt it just the same as stock if I lowered it by the same amount as I overclocked it?

Also, if I decide to overclock before undervolting, would undervolting reduce the stability or performance gain from the overclock?

Thanks for the help everyone.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
1) So are the clock numbers and the voltage numbers equivalents?
2) Let's say I up the clock speed by 25.
2a) Would lowering the voltage curve by 25 be an effective undervolt?
2b) And if they are, wouldnt it just the same as stock if I lowered it by the same amount as I overclocked it?

3) Also, if I decide to overclock before undervolting, would undervolting reduce the stability or performance gain from the overclock?

Thanks for the help everyone.
It's kind of complicated... but I try to explain.
Ad. 1. Not from GPU side, it always checks Frequency value on F/V curve first, and compares that to a point it operates at now.
Ad. 2. It increases frequency across ALL voltage points by 25MHz (standard "slider" OC)
a) You can't lower the voltage the same way as you lower the frequency.
Voltages are "fixed" on x-axis, and can't be adjusted on their position.
Lowering a point on the curve by 25MHz may either make it slower (because frequency is lower), or it will be skipped during standard turbo boost 3.0 card operation (ie. when it's frequency value is lower than the previous point on the curve).
It does not undervolt it, in anyway.
b) N/A (not applicable)
Ad. 3. If you are overcloking by using core frequency slider on MSI Afterburner - undervolting makes it pointless as it bypasses it completely (you can have one profile for "standard OC", and second one for undervolting).

Y = Frequency, X = Voltage, "+1" = next voltage point :
If (Y+1 > Y), use X(Y+1) as new GPU voltage, repeat "If";
else Y+1 = Y, use Y(X) as new GPU voltage (ie. don't change anything), repeat "If";
else Y+1 < Y, Y = Y+1 (skip this frequency/voltage point), repeat "If".
^This is boosting 3.0 in a nut shell.
(with negleted points about Vrel being Ymax/Xmax, if Power or Thermals get out of hand lower Y [throttling], etc. which aren't needed for undervolting discussion)

Last edited: