• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Said to be Eyeing Singapore for Fab Expansion

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
The rumour mill never seems to stop churning when it comes to TSMC and now the company is said to be looking at the tiny nation of Singapore for a future fab. This time the information comes via the Wall Street Journal rather than the usual Taiwanese sources and although the publication points out that no decision has been made at this point in time, it says that TSMC is apparently in talks with the Economic Development Board of Singapore. The official statement from the TSMC on the matter is that the company "doesn't rule out any possibility but does not have any concrete plan at this time".

The potential Singapore Fab would be producing 28 to 7 nm chips, in other words, quite far from TSMC's cutting edge nodes. However, TSMC is already building a similar facility in the southern city of Kaohsiung in Taiwan that's scheduled for opening in 2024. As such, the nodes used in a future facility in Singapore might change depending on when the fab will open and it might end up producing chips on more advanced nodes as well. As these fabs take a few years to get going, they're not projects that are started on a whim. We should also mention that TSMC already has a joint venture in Singapore together with NXP, called SSMC, which also produces for third parties.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I still say TSMC is making a huge mistake building in drought ridden states in USA, when instead they should have contacted right wing tax haven states near the five great lakes... TSMC will regret it in the end, when they see how expensive it will be to get fresh water to their factory in the southwest. Might be ok now, but its going to get bad, really bad. I think it will anyway, we'll see.

Singapore is probably a mistake, if I am not mistaken they have close ties to China, so if anything ever happens with China and Taiwan, Singapore will probably go with China and as we have seen Russia seize other countries factories recently, Singapore will probably do the same to TSMC in the allied spirit with China...

TSMC is a rich company, but not a very smart or strategic one, meh.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I still say TSMC is making a huge mistake building in drought ridden states in USA, when instead they should have contacted right wing tax haven states near the five great lakes... TSMC will regret it in the end, when they see how expensive it will be to get fresh water to their factory in the southwest. Might be ok now, but its going to get bad, really bad. I think it will anyway, we'll see.
Why is Intel building fabs right next door though? Not saying you're wrong here, just curious why both companies picked Arizona, outside of tax cuts.
Singapore is probably a mistake, if I am not mistaken they have close ties to China, so if anything ever happens with China and Taiwan, Singapore will probably go with China and as we have seen Russia seize other countries factories recently, Singapore will probably do the same to TSMC in the allied spirit with China...
They do indeed, but Singapore has the workforce, as there are a lot of foundries there already. It means it's easier to hire the right staff.
Well, where else do you suggest they should build fabs that has the kind of workforce that's trained to operate a semiconductor fab? It's not something you get into at night school exactly. They're always going to have to "poach" some people from the competition where they set up, to have some senior staff that can teach the n00bs. There are only so many places that offer this kind of talent in the world.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Why is Intel building fabs right next door though? Not saying you're wrong here, just curious why both companies picked Arizona, outside of tax cuts.

They do indeed, but Singapore has the workforce, as there are a lot of foundries there already. It means it's easier to hire the right staff.

Well, where else do you suggest they should build fabs that has the kind of workforce that's trained to operate a semiconductor fab? It's not something you get into at night school exactly. They're always going to have to "poach" some people from the competition where they set up, to have some senior staff that can teach the n00bs. There are only so many places that offer this kind of talent in the world.

Intel is also stupid, for the same reasons. They will regret the lack of fresh water in the next ten years in Arizona. I believe Indiana/Wisconsin/Minnesota, etc would have matched the tax benefits to TSMC to build there next to the Great Lakes, as far as the talent pool goes, I would argue a lot of people are getting sick of big city life, and could easily be enticed with large hiring bonuses and moving fees covered to relocate to smaller cities/towns near wherever they build the factory. I may be very wrong about that assumption though.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Intel is also stupid, for the same reasons. They will regret the lack of fresh water in the next ten years in Arizona. I believe Indiana/Wisconsin/Minnesota, etc would have matched the tax benefits to TSMC to build there next to the Great Lakes, as far as the talent pool goes, I would argue a lot of people are getting sick of big city life, and could easily be enticed with large hiring bonuses and moving fees covered to relocate to smaller cities/towns near wherever they build the factory. I may be very wrong about that assumption though.
I don't think you're wrong, especially now with the crazy inflation, on top of many people realising that living in a tiny flat near the centre of the city isn't all what it was cracked up to be when you can't go outside. The pandemic had changed people's priorities.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home

Singapore pretty much is the golden spoon child of SE Asia. Not just China but everyone pours money and talent into it. Just China does indeed have major influence over it. Been there a few times. The surrounding nations could be better off but they often bow out on deals to benefit Singapore. They get the pick of things, the rest get the scraps. The influence of such a tiny city state in the region is nuts.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The entire state of California...
Well, California seems to be having a wide range of issues that has cause the perfect storm for a lot of people there I'd say. Firestorm that is.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Well, California seems to be having a wide range of issues that has cause the perfect storm for a lot of people there I'd say. Firestorm that is.
"Wide range of issues" may be insufficient terminology...
I am surprised that TSMC is not moving to less politically dangerous/unstable areas in general.

System Name Personal rig & Folder
Processor R9 5900X (VRM-B2) @ 180W/160A/140A | Mfg Wk03/2022
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120 w/ 3x P12, MX-6
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 8Gbit Rev.E (DR) @ 3800CL15-18-8-17-34-54-540-1T @ 1.45v, 1900MHz FCLK
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil 6600XT @ C2800MHz/M2300MHz (Samsung) @ 192W TGP | MX-6, TP-3
Storage 1x SK hynix Gold P31 1TB (boot), 1x 2TB TeamGroup MP33 Pro, 1x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD 5900RPM
Display(s) 1x Gigabyte M27Q, 1x Dell 2007WFP, 1x Dell E152FPg
Case Phanteks P500A (non-digital) w/ 4x 140mm Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K-TC (USB) -> beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm)
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Core RGB
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/machinelearning/ ~ https://hwbot.org/team/warp9_systems/
I am surprised that TSMC is not moving to less politically dangerous/unstable areas in general.
Me too. China absorbing Taiwan (whether slowly or by force) is more likely and imminent than ever. Regardless of anyone's feelings on that, it's hard to argue that TSMC would be allowed to have anywhere near the same amount of western business that it currently does. TSMC is irreplaceable right now, which is very frightening.