• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Capcom Announces Reimagined Resident Evil 4

A re-imagined Resident Evil 4 is coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC on March 24th, 2023! Dirt compressed into a makeshift path from years of foot traffic. A lone crow alights on a branch in the distance, staring out into a bleak, surreal sky. The wooden skeleton of a tree that no longer grows, yet seems to cast a growing shadow over the road ahead. A little shack in the distance where a man is milling about inside, stoking embers in the fireplace as the crow makes a single, lonesome caw…

For many fans, including myself, it only takes a moment to conjure up memories of Resident Evil 4. From the game's slow-burn introduction to its final moments of thrilling escape, Resident Evil 4 was a turning point for the franchise. Today, we're proud to announce that the timeless classic will be reborn in 2023 using the RE engine, delivering truly next-gen visuals, modernized gameplay, and a re-imagined, deeper storyline while faithfully preserving the essence and maintaining the legacy of the original.

Set six years after the events of Resident Evil 2, an older and significantly toughened Leon S. Kennedy has been shaped by his experiences of enduring the disaster that wiped Raccoon City off the map and events beyond. Now reporting directly to the President of the United States of America, Leon is given a new assignment: To locate and rescue the President's kidnapped daughter.

Tracking her location to a secluded village in the European countryside, Leon prepares to take his first steps into another nightmare that reaches far past reason. Both long-time fans of the original Resident Evil 4 and newcomers who are experiencing the events of RE4 for the first time will explore a horror beyond belief.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
One of the best Resident Evil games. There is unfortunately a potential for a lot to go wrong with a remake but I'm hoping for the best.

delivering truly next-gen visuals, modernized gameplay, and a re-imagined, deeper storyline while faithfully preserving the essence and maintaining the legacy of the original.

I hope this means not only shiny/blurred shadow things but also enhancements in advanced MoCap/animation (facial, hair/clothes, animated water puddles, not black-iced puddles , and motion) MUCH BETTER cover/stealth (e.g. hiding and crawling under beds/tables/closets, jumping in and out of windows and jumping over tables/objects,) using the world as a weapon, a much better combat skill tree rather than the lame melee crap that all RE titles seem to inherit (especially him being labeled a so-called well-trained elite agent because he is not always full of ammo or around objects).

CAPCOM has from now and the remaining of this year (and a month or so in '23 before RE4r goes gold) to get this right, so, TECHNICALLY, RE4 should not be another RE3r disaster, technically!

BUT... As a rule of thumb for TODAY's devs... is to keep expectations vErY low and hope for the best but, ALWAYS, be prepared for the worst.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I liked the original, finished it on PC when it came out originally back in what? 2007? It was the first RE game that I actually started and finished. Remake will be handled by the same team that worked on RE2 so that's a plus.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
"Leon! HEEEEEEELP!", but now in 4k

CAPCOM has from now and the remaining of this year (and a month or so in '23 before RE4r goes gold) to get this right, so, TECHNICALLY, RE4 should not be another RE3r disaster, technically!
To tell you the truth i haven't even played RE3r while you seem to have invested some time, but from videos i saw the graphics seemed excellent and the performance up there with the best (very similar 1080p performance with DOOM Eternal, but heavier scaling in the higher resolutions).
I don't know, maybe my impression was influenced by the outfits lol :p

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
To tell you the truth i haven't even played RE3r while you seem to have invested some time, but from videos i saw the graphics seemed excellent and the performance up there with the best (very similar 1080p performance with DOOM Eternal, but heavier scaling in the higher resolutions).
I don't know, maybe my impression was influenced by the outfits lol :p
It was a rushed release with cut down features.

System Name Lenovo V14
Processor Athlon Gold 3150U (2C4T 2.4 - 3.3 GHz)
Motherboard Lenovo
Cooling Laptop Cooling
Memory 4 GB onboard + 8 GB DDR4-2400 MHz Hynix
Video Card(s) Onboard Radeon Graphics
Storage 256 GB WD NVMe SSD + 480 GB Sandisk SSD Plus SATA
Display(s) Shitty 768p TN Panel
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply 65W Laptop Charger
Mouse Logitech Mini Mouse
Keyboard Lenovo
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores As long as enough for animu
Ah I remember playing the pirated PC version back in the day. Didn't finish it iirc since the kid always died and I just went rage quit.
Only around $4 on my currency on Steam, I actually tempted to buy and try to finish it this time. :rolleyes:

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
RE4 didn't need a remake it still looks good for me... heck even N64 and PSX era games look perfectly good for me even to this day. Anyway, i would much rather had a remake of RE-Code Veronica instead. A lot of people will get instantly triggered by what i'm about to say... but i find RE4 one of the WORST RE games ever. I played this like 8 months because i recently played RE7m RE8 and RE3 Remake, then went and played RE1, RE2 and RE3 on my PS Classic Mini, so it placed me in a very RE mood for a while, and i remember everyone and their dog saying how good RE4 was when it was first released, and without playing it i genuinely had the impresion that it was THE best RE ever because of how everyone keep saying how good it was. So i finally played and oh boy! what a sh*t show... The game itself was ok, but it was a mindless Action adventure game with few Survival Elements here and there. You fight TONS of dudes armed with machetes yelling in to you in spanish... oh gee that's very scary... ammo is scattered everywhere and even get regularly dropped from downed enemies, this took away the management of picking your fights from RE1-RE3.

You just shoot at everything that moves... in waves and waves, over and over. They also over did it the QTE, god those things are awful and extremely annoying... you barely start the game and you are meet with QTE of a Rock, you advance a bit and you get more in cave... then again against some lake monster... and then again, and again in the railway... and then again against the giant statue robot. What were they thinking!?

You are basically a super hero shooting tons of enemies in the face and then performing a Chuck Norris-esque kick, rinse and repeat for instant kills while doing matrix esque dodges. For me only RE6 was worst than RE4, while RE5 was kinda enjoyable because the Coop is super fun. So yeah, i got no idea why RE4 is considered as THE best RE game ever, let lone one of the Greatest games of all time.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
RE4 didn't need a remake it still looks good for me... heck even N64 and PSX era games look perfectly good for me even to this day.

I agree that RE4 still looks pretty good but Capcom isn't doing a remaster. They are doing a remake or as some would say a re-imagining of the game. That's where the potential comes in to possibly bork the game.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
Anyway, i would much rather had a remake of RE-Code Veronica instead.
Me too! Now there is a gaping hole in the series of being able to play them on a modern PC. Every main line game has a remaster/reimagining or came out recent enough they run on modern systems. Cannot pick up a copy of Code Veronica and install it on your latest Windows machine though. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, revelations 1 and 2.....all can be had....but not Code Veronica... it's like the red headed step child no one respects or wants to acknowledge

RE4 didn't need a remake it still looks good for me... heck even N64 and PSX era games look perfectly good for me even to this day.
excuse me? lol I like these consoles too but early 3D console graphics have not aged well
and in all fairness they aren't making this game as a simple up the graphics remaster, or basing decisions on how the original looks today. they already did up the graphics a couple times with the HD remaster and VR versions. this is going to be like the RE2 and RE3 re-imaginings from 2019 and 2020. I wouldn't be against this release if they pulled their heads out of their rears and went in chronological order with CV instead.

But we both know why is was skipped, it was released when RE was starting to loose some of it's immediate appeal and it doesn't have as big of a fan base by comparison. From a business perspective, RE4 being reimagined was inevitable, but it doesn't give them an excuse or a pass to forever forget about reimagining CV. This RE4 annoucement is Capcom stopping just short of saying "we will never reimagine CV" and for that....I am a sad RE fan.

RE4 didn't need a remake it still looks good for me... heck even N64 and PSX era games look perfectly good for me even to this day. Anyway, i would much rather had a remake of RE-Code Veronica instead. A lot of people will get instantly triggered by what i'm about to say... but i find RE4 one of the WORST RE games ever. I played this like 8 months because i recently played RE7m RE8 and RE3 Remake, then went and played RE1, RE2 and RE3 on my PS Classic Mini, so it placed me in a very RE mood for a while, and i remember everyone and their dog saying how good RE4 was when it was first released, and without playing it i genuinely had the impresion that it was THE best RE ever because of how everyone keep saying how good it was. So i finally played and oh boy! what a sh*t show... The game itself was ok, but it was a mindless Action adventure game with few Survival Elements here and there. You fight TONS of dudes armed with machetes yelling in to you in spanish... oh gee that's very scary... ammo is scattered everywhere and even get regularly dropped from downed enemies, this took away the management of picking your fights from RE1-RE3.

You just shoot at everything that moves... in waves and waves, over and over. They also over did it the QTE, god those things are awful and extremely annoying... you barely start the game and you are meet with QTE of a Rock, you advance a bit and you get more in cave... then again against some lake monster... and then again, and again in the railway... and then again against the giant statue robot. What were they thinking!?

You are basically a super hero shooting tons of enemies in the face and then performing a Chuck Norris-esque kick, rinse and repeat for instant kills while doing matrix esque dodges. For me only RE6 was worst than RE4, while RE5 was kinda enjoyable because the Coop is super fun. So yeah, i got no idea why RE4 is considered as THE best RE game ever, let lone one of the Greatest games of all time.
A 97 metacritic game, wtf were they thinking? Oh the humanity....

One of the best Resident Evil games. There is unfortunately a potential for a lot to go wrong with a remake but I'm hoping for the best.
your same comment with the same lvl of iq and intel is.... "there is fortunately a lot that can go right im hoping for the best"... as a pro cynical... a cool trailer is you being super worried?!?!? the tech now over the 2001 gamecube (so posssibly started om 1999 pre smart phones has you worried? Is HUUUGE keep in mind a med end smartphone has 6-8gbs of ram the game cube had 48 mb of ram yes mbs high end phones can have 12 - that is 4x the swtich (from 2017)... your new name is debbie downer

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
your same comment with the same lvl of iq and intel is.... "there is fortunately a lot that can go right im hoping for the best"... as a pro cynical... a cool trailer is you being super worried?!?!? the tech now over the 2001 gamecube (so posssibly started om 1999 pre smart phones has you worried? Is HUUUGE keep in mind a med end smartphone has 6-8gbs of ram the game cube had 48 mb of ram yes mbs high end phones can have 12 - that is 4x the swtich (from 2017)... your new name is debbie downer

Do you know the difference between a remaster and a remake?

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
A 97 metacritic game, wtf were they thinking? Oh the humanity....
lol i just checked RE4 Metacritic score, it's actually a 96 (as if that matters anyway) There is only a single absolute zero Score from a dude called "Rob J" from 2006, this dude score is silly and absurd, it isn't THAT BAD... but i have to agree with everything else this person wrote. I still think RE4 is one of the weakest RE games because of how Action oriented it is. It really has very little "Survival or Horror" elements in it, and that's what kills it for me. RE4 is the title started the trend which killed the franchise with RE5 and 6 until RE7 brought the franchise back. It was only surpassed by RE6 as the worst of the bunch. But hey, you're all entitled to love it and consider it the best game of all time. I got no argument there.

After recently playing most of the RE games out there, i found the first 3 + Code Veronica to be the best and most fun to play. There is something super charming about early 3D polygon games from the 90's... the weird camera angles, the super low polygons, the prerendered scenes and even the controls! i really find them fascinating and unique. I wish that modern games were released with this type of N64 and PSX graphics. I'm also loving all those N64 ports for PC by fans, i can only hope more will be ported.