• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with an RX 6600 I might've completely messed up while overclocking (without messing with voltage)

DoctorVoltabolt

I tried overclocking my new RX 6600 following the simplest of OC guides (increment clock by small amounts in MSI Afterburner, stress test after every increment). I was doing this for all of today, and got from 2684mhz to 2810mhz (24mhz increments) with zero problems both in MSI Kombustor's and 3DMark's stress tests (Time Spy and Fire Strike Extreme). Then I had to use the computer for other stuff, so I stopped there and turned it back down temporarily. Temperatures during the tests peaked at 70C.

After that, I turned on a game, and immediately encountered heavy stuttering. Steam's FPS counter showed the usual FPS for that game, but I couldn't even turn the camera around without it semi-freezing (despite the FPS counter not reacting to that in any way). At this point, all my Afterburner settings were back to the way they were initially.
I tried another less demanding game. 99% normal, very slight stuttering sometimes.

I tried launching another game that is much, much less demanding than the previous two, I think it could easily run on an Intel HD graphics (osu!). It was literally unplayable. 10fps, and the cursor freezes every half a second. Of course I tried fiddling with the game's settings, to no avail.

What I tried so far, in order :

1. Restarting computer, obviously did not work
  2. Reinstalling drivers the normal way, did not work
  3. Deleting MSI Afterburner and then reinstalling drivers the normal way, did not work
  4. Deleting my drivers via DDU in Safe Mode, then reinstalling drivers (22.5.2) through AMD's Adrenalin Software. This fixed all problems...for several hours. I changed absolutely nothing, and in ~6 hours everything went back to being exactly the way I described above. I'm completely stumped now.
  5. Deleting my drivers via DDU in Safe Mode again, then reinstalling a different version of the drivers (tried both 22.5.1 and the beta drivers Windows installs automatically). This didn't work at all, not even temporarily.
To sum it up, DDU worked once temporarily, and doesn't work anymore.

I also thought about inserting the card into a different PC to check if it works fine. If not, then the card itself is somehow damaged, and if it does then the only thing I can think of doing is reinstalling Windows completely.

If anyone has any better ideas on what to do or what I could've messed up during the OC process, I'll be very thankful...my process was as described above, with power limit at +20% (maximum allowed by the card), temp limit unchanged (card doesn't allow tweaking it) and custom fan curve with fans at 100% after 75C, it never got that high though. The only thing I changed was the core clock, I haven't touched the voltage or even the memory clock. Could I have even messed up the hardware this way?

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus B550-F Gaming WiFi
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 6600 Eagle (de-shrouded)
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2
Display(s) 2 x Asus 1080p 60Hz IPS
Case Antec P101 Silent
Audio Device(s) Ifi Zen DAC V2
Power Supply Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 650W Platinum
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
Keyboard Akko 3108 V2 (Akko Pink linears)
Have you run HWInfo64 and just observed what the GPU clocks are doing during the game? I've tried overclocking my RX 6600 and personally I've never even seen the clocks reach that high, so increasing clock speed never really made a difference.

DoctorVoltabolt

Have you run HWInfo64 and just observed what the GPU clocks are doing during the game? I've tried overclocking my RX 6600 and personally I've never even seen the clocks reach that high, so increasing clock speed never really made a difference.

It wasn't with HWInfo64, but I did look at the clocks through MSI Afterburner when running Kombustor which isn't full-screen. They indeed never went that high, max was 2480 or so if I remember right. Which is why I'm even more confused as to why the OC screwed it up...

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec P101 Silent
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
It wasn't with HWInfo64, but I did look at the clocks through MSI Afterburner when running Kombustor which isn't full-screen. They indeed never went that high, max was 2480 or so if I remember right. Which is why I'm even more confused as to why the OC screwed it up...

HWInfo64 sensor monitoring tends to be the most accurate. And if you're getting huge stutters during gaming, it might be showing up as big clock speed drops. It just helps to narrow down what the cause of the problem might be. If it's the GPU or the game itself.

DoctorVoltabolt

HWInfo64 sensor monitoring tends to be the most accurate. And if you're getting huge stutters during gaming, it might be showing up as big clock speed drops. It just helps to narrow down what the cause of the problem might be. If it's the GPU or the game itself.
Okay, this is extremely weird.

I tried logging the GPU clocks while opening the most problematic game (literally unplayable, feels like 5fps while being extremely easy to run), and this is what I got :

How is that even possible? I'm not sure what effective means in this context but either way it's at least 5 times less than it should be

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec P101 Silent
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
Okay, this is extremely weird.

I tried logging the GPU clocks while opening the most problematic game (literally unplayable, feels like 5fps while being extremely easy to run), and this is what I got :

How is that even possible? I'm not sure what effective means in this context but either way it's at least 5 times less than it should be

Yeah so the GPU core isn't even trying to boost. Even at 1080p in basic games you can expect to see higher clocks than that.

Can you grab a screenshot of the GPU sensors like this? Under a gaming load if you can. Just interested to see what the GPU is doing. (Edit: This is my own RX 6600 with externally-powered fans, it gives an idea of what a working card should look like)

1655985532459.png

DoctorVoltabolt

Yeah so the GPU core isn't even trying to boost. Even at 1080p in basic games you can expect to see higher clocks than that.

Can you grab a screenshot of the GPU sensors like this? Under a gaming load if you can. Just interested to see what the GPU is doing. (Edit: This is my own RX 6600 with externally-powered fans, it gives an idea of what a working card should look like)

View attachment 252083

Weird, the GPU clock seems to be fine...but there's no statistic for the Memory Clock.

The screenshot is from a much more GPU-intensive game which behaves very strange - as long as I don't spin the camera everything renders fine, but the moment I move the camera more than a few degrees it instantly freezes for a second, with the camera turning a lot further than I wanted after.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec P101 Silent
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
Weird, the GPU clock seems to be fine...but there's no statistic for the Memory Clock.

The screenshot is from a much more GPU-intensive game which behaves very strange - as long as I don't spin the camera everything renders fine, but the moment I move the camera more than a few degrees it instantly freezes for a second, with the camera turning a lot further than I wanted after.

Yeah that looks more like it. At least in terms of maximum values it all seems fine, you've got higher power draw values but that's only because you're running the card under a heavier load.

Something that jumps out at me is that you don't have any entries for memory-related information in the lower-half of the window. You've got memory temperature and power draw, but nothing else. Is it showing any information further down for memory clocks, memory usage, any of that?

DoctorVoltabolt

These seem to be the only memory-related settings in the lower half. Could that mean the card's memory is faulty?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec P101 Silent
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
These seem to be the only memory-related settings in the lower half. Could that mean the card's memory is faulty?

I wouldn't call it just yet without further testing, but it could definitely be that the memory is faulty. I haven't had memory-related issues myself so I'm not familiar with the symptoms, but maybe you could try limiting VRAM usage while gaming by dropping texture settings down. And see if that reduces the heavy stuttering.

I also notice that the maximum VRAM usage is 2085 MB, which is very low and awfully close to a rounded 2GB of usage. Maybe only 2GB is accessible or something.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
It looks like a possible memory issue, when you did the original overclocking did you max out the power limit slider because even in the TPU review there were all kinds of issues relating to overclocking and power limits, many relating to negative performance?

DoctorVoltabolt

Yes, I did...every guide recommended to do that up to the maximum limit allowed by the card (in my case, +20%).

Could I have bricked the memory by doing so?
It looks like a possible memory issue, when you did the original overclocking did you max out the power limit slider because even in the TPU review there were all kinds of issues relating to overclocking and power limits, many relating to negative performance?

I wouldn't call it just yet without further testing, but it could definitely be that the memory is faulty. I haven't had memory-related issues myself so I'm not familiar with the symptoms, but maybe you could try limiting VRAM usage while gaming by dropping texture settings down. And see if that reduces the heavy stuttering.

I also notice that the maximum VRAM usage is 2085 MB, which is very low and awfully close to a rounded 2GB of usage. Maybe only 2GB is accessible or something.
Unfortunately the game I'm having the most trouble running (osu!) doesn't have any graphics options, it's an extremely simple game that even an Intel HD graphics should be able to handle, so it most likely doesn't even use that much VRAM. This is what's most confusing for me, there's no consistency in what runs and what doesn't.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Maxing the power limit should not cause this issue, board manufacturers set their power limits based on card model and therefore quality of components for each model, they will always set safety margins, if only because they don't want thousands of cards requiring RMA because of the cards failing within spec.

I think in our review there was the ability to set minimum and maximum boost clocks within the Radeon software, what does it show for you?

If not with your game you should be able to drop resolutions within the benchmarking apps you have been testing with.

As a matter of interest, can you let us know your specific card model plus other system specs such as CPU, motherboard, memory and PSU etc.

First of all you can't brick just the memory, if anything it will be the whole card. You could try a variety of workloads from 3dmark, games & even other synthetic benches to see if there really is a problem or not.

Memory corruption in my experience is pretty consistent, if it's gone really awry pretty much all workloads will show a little bit to a lot of issues on screen.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Most likely the card had some problem to begin with, what you did was making it manifest.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec P101 Silent
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
Yes, I did...every guide recommended to do that up to the maximum limit allowed by the card (in my case, +20%).

Could I have bricked the memory by doing so?

Unfortunately the game I'm having the most trouble running (osu!) doesn't have any graphics options, it's an extremely simple game that even an Intel HD graphics should be able to handle, so it most likely doesn't even use that much VRAM. This is what's most confusing for me, there's no consistency in what runs and what doesn't.

Generally no, it's hard to kill or damage a card just by playing with overclock settings. On mine I've moved the memory clock slider all the way to 1900MHz because that's the hard limit AMD has bestowed upon this card to limit performance.

Have a look at Afterburner and grab a screenshot of it. If it's a memory issue, I wonder if the memory clock slider is even showing up on yours.

1656021429582.png

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I damaged a card once when running multiple software based OC utilities, it pushed the vcore to its maximum and damaged the memory controller when I had it set where I wanted but was trying to see values shown by Afterburner.

If a complete uninstall of the drivers and utilities and reinstall of the drivers doesn't do it it may be the same issue.

Why not try using the official software for it - you can oc there. You can also reset back to default settings - I would try it and not use afterburner.

Afterburner is a great utility but if you want a better idea of what's going with your AMD GPU use Radeon Settings, along with HWinfo64