• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Liquid cooling but without water?

I'd like to go with a liquid cooled build but my luck with computer hardware is so bad I'm sure it would be a disaster if I used water. I used to go off-roading a lot and baja bugs and thumpers used to use oil coolers. Why can't something similar be adapted to computers?

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
There was a time I never used liquid cooling to besides a aio that is.
It's not all that tough just take your time assembling...

Not sure I'd simplify it as "water" seeing water alone would get pretty funky fairly quickly

Comparing a baja buggy oil cooling to a computer well oil doesn't really care what parts is in aluminum/...
Computer cooling is a tad more complicated

But I have used a verity of fluids
Car antifreeze about 15% for 1 liter distilled water.

Also tried distilled and and additives but this was a pita to maintain ph7-8

Premixes in the beginning just my luck got some bad ek cryocrap stuff which was worse than V.D. to get rid of :laugh:

Now I'm on mayhems x1 clear concentrate with local distilled no issues so far it comes around ph8 and good for one year

Tried mayhem premix same x1 clear and on one machine it turned greenish seems hardware labs radiators there is a chance it will do this
Another mach did not with same rads and premix so I only batted 50-50 on that fluid.

ir_cow

Staff member
distilled water is non-conductive. I've gotten it everywhere on a powered on computer before no issues. After a few months I think the ions start to charge and it become conductive. You will have to do more reading on that one.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Water cooling PCs isn't for people with sloppy habits, poor construction skills, or a marked lack of attention to detail. It's up to the individual to assess where they fall in the spectrum of those character traits.

The main reason why water is used is because it has superb thermal capacity just by itself. Additives usually reduce water's thermal capacity and add more complexity to the system (corrosion, expense, reactions with materials, etc.).

Things like automotive antifreeze in a custom cooling loop make zero sense. You add antifreeze to your car's radiator because your car is subject to more extreme operating conditions (i.e., lower temperatures). That's not applicable for typical desktop PCs which live a decidedly cushy life in the same temperature ranges that human beings find comfortable. Your PC isn't parked in the driveway during a snowstorm. So don't add automotive antifreeze to your PC's custom cooling loop. It's pointless and dumb.

Really all you need for a PC custom cooling loop is distilled water and a few drops of biocide to prevent algae from forming, sort of like the chlorine added to swimming pools and water fountains.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Water cooling PCs isn't for people with sloppy habits, poor construction skills, or a marked lack of attention to detail. It's up to the individual to assess where they fall in the spectrum of those character traits.

The main reason why water is used is because it has superb thermal capacity just by itself. Additives usually reduce water's thermal capacity and add more complexity to the system (corrosion, expense, reactions with materials, etc.).

Things like automotive antifreeze make zero sense. You add antifreeze to your car's radiator because your car is subject to more extreme operating conditions (like freezing temperatures). That's not applicable for typical desktop PCs which live a decidedly cushy life in the same temperature ranges that human beings find comfortable. Your PC isn't parked in the driveway during a snowstorm. So don't add automotive antifreeze to your PC's custom cooling loop. It's pointless and dumb.

Really all you need for a PC custom cooling loop is distilled water and a few drops of biocide to prevent algae from forming, sort of like the chlorine added to swimming pools and water fountains.
WRONG!!!

There are reasons why adding antifreeze to a custom system CAN be a good thing to do under the right conditions.
Has NOTHING to do about antifreeze being for an auto because it can be used for many other things too - It's not something that's exclusive to autos alone.

Yes - It's an additive yet it can also help against corrosion, some of which can be induced by having dissimilar/different metals in the system, causing corrosion issues such as a rad and block made of different materials that are reactive to each other.

I will agree that for most desktops it's not required at all, however in certain circumstances it can help things such as helping to reduce the effects of what I just described. I will also agree that water on it's own is better in terms of cooling efficiency, anytime you add something to water it's efficiency goes down but used correctly antifreeze in the system doesn't impact it much.

And I will say I've used it with good success in the past in mine, just know my watercooling setup is in an outside building here and it's required during the cooler months of the year or I'll have a busted block and whatever else if I don't use it during those times.

So yes, there are at least a few reasons why it could be used that does make sense if one thinks about it.

As for using it being dumb - That's just your own personal opinion of it which only matters to your own situation, not for anyone else.

Folks should determine their own individual needs and requirements, these will let them know what they'd need and what to do because it's their situation - Another's situation like yours or even mine need not apply to theirs because each and everyone is different.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Okay, okay, next time I'll profusely litter my post with weasel words and heavy use of "usually", "often", "generally" and "normally".

:D

That said, some people here (and other tech forums) enjoy making things as complicated as possible. With some thoughtful consideration beforehand, one can eliminate most of these complications that require specialized solutions. When you add more variables to a given system, you're going to end up with more possibilities for problems (perhaps some unforeseen). Making beef Wellington is more complicated than grilling a steak.

I know that additives or alternate cooling liquids are useful in extreme situations, some of which certain PC builders put themselves into.

The International Space Station uses radiators with ammonia but I'm not going to recommend any PC builder to use ammonia. I wouldn't be surprised if some YouTuber has tried but not everything people do on YouTube should be copied.

So yeah, there's usually an exception to every rule. We all know that.

That said, for someone exploring custom cooling loops for normal PCs, it's best to keep things simple rather than to jump off into the deep end.

There are tons of tutorials and videos that describe custom cooling loops for PCs (many of them poorly authored and inaccurate). There are really a handful of basic guidelines to follow to make this a relatively simple project.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Okay, okay, next time I'll profusely litter my post with weasel words and heavy use of the words "usually", "often", and "normally".

:D

That said, some people here (and other tech forums) enjoy making things as complicated as possible. With some thoughtful consideration beforehand, one can eliminate most of these complications that require specialized solutions.

I know that additives or alternate cooling liquids are useful in extreme situations, some of which certain PC builders put themselves into.

The International Space Station uses radiators with ammonia but I'm not going to recommend any PC builder to use ammonia. I wouldn't be surprised if some YouTuber has tried but not everything people do on YouTube should be copied.

So yeah, there's usually an exception to every rule. We all know that.

That said, for someone exploring custom cooling loops for normal PCs, it's best to keep things simple rather than to jump off into the deep end.

There are tons of tutorials and videos that describe custom cooling loops for PCs (many of them poorly authored and inaccurate). There are really a handful of basic guidelines to follow to make this a relatively simple project.
Please do. :D

What I'm saying is stating it as an absolute isn't correct, I used the above to demonstrate that.

Whatever is needed is needed, no getting around it and such rigid thinking limits, if not eliminates options.... Some of them being good ones too, even if they seem "Out There".
Something I had to learn along the way myself.

I do agree that keeping it KISS is the way to go for beginners, stick to the basics, let them learn and go from there.

Case Apple proprietary
We all crawl before we walk.

Yes, it's dumb to recommend advanced specialized options to a beginner. It's needlessly confusing. It's like teaching brain surgery to kindergarteners.

In the context of advanced custom cooling discussions, yes, there is a place for additives. However it's helpful to answer questions contextually. It is not constructive for me to launch into a deep dive into laminated doughs to someone who wants to put a simple breakfast on the table.

People on tech site forums (not just TPU) frequently dive off into the deep end without thinking about context.

Anyhow back to the original topic. If the OP wants to try a custom cooling loop, it might work out better for him to find a friend who has experience doing this and working on a build together. In the same way, lots of excellent cooks learned from family members in their early years.

Watching a few YouTube videos from random vloggers doesn't provide the same one-on-one guidance.

System Name EA-ZEN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D with -50mW UV
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Memory 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080 Ti Strix highly OC’ed
Storage 1 TB NVME, 500 GB SSD etc
Display(s) 2x 27”, main: curved 144Hz SVA with BLS and HDR
Case Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Z906 5.1 and Audeze Headphones, Shure SM7B mic
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Keyboard Mechanical Cherry Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
The good thing about antifreeze is that you can put the radiator outside during winter. Or use it with dry ice. Funny things.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
It's pointless and dumb.

Been using Anti Freeze Car coolant in my loops for 15+ years and never looked back! The best stuff I have ever used. Sorry...

*Edit: Probably close to 20 years now :rolleyes:

The good thing about antifreeze is that you can put the radiator outside during winter. Or use it with dry ice. Funny things.

Or it wont boil. Water boils.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
1656797392665.png

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Why use oil over distilled water? Nothing to worry about, especially since they make sealed AIO's that you install and forget about it.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
I'd like to go with a liquid cooled build but my luck with computer hardware is so bad I'm sure it would be a disaster if I used water. I used to go off-roading a lot and baja bugs and thumpers used to use oil coolers. Why can't something similar be adapted to computers?
what advantages oil has might be disadvantages in PC cooling. i'm sure dune buggies have higher temps that oil's higher boiling point is desirable but with much larger (flow/pressure) pumps and larger radiators (at least in surface area) with air flow and static pressure that idk if noctua's leaf blowers could match.

just food for thought.

but whats the deal? you dangerous with a screwdriver of something? if thinking custom - soft tubing with compression fittings is easy peasey. just don't overtighten (two fingers!) and you'll be fine :)

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Water has a very high specific heat and oil coolers are to cool the oil, not the engine.

Cooling the oil does cool the engine in air-cooled engines.

I was hoping there might be alternative mediums for liquid cooling that were non-conductive, but I suppose the pumps, blocks and radiators are all designed for water, not say, mineral oil.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
The thing with oil is that it acts as a heatsink, I guess you already know this if you worked in bugs or other vehicles.

An oil cooling system would be too big for a desktop computer.

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot

I was hoping there might be alternative mediums for liquid cooling that were non-conductive, but I suppose the pumps, blocks and radiators are all designed for water, not say, mineral oil.
Someone cooled a whole pc once by submerging it into oil, but I don’t think that’s practical.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

No, AIR cools the engine in air-cooled engines. Those cooling fins and some cases a big ass fan to flow air over them aren't there for decoration.

ir_cow

Staff member
Someone cooled a whole pc once by submerging it into oil, but I don’t think that’s practical.
A few people over the 20+ years I've known about it have done long term studies with this. It seems that anything solder on will fall off after awhile. Now this might be due to using low-grade oil. I don't know, but its a thing. Plus you can pretty much never clean it off. Once its submerged that is it.

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
A few people over the 20+ years I've known about it have done long term studies with this. It seems that anything solder on will fall off after awhile. Now this might be due to using low-grade oil. I don't know, but its a thing. Plus you can pretty much never clean it off. Once its submerged that is it.
Yea I've only seen it done once with cooking oil, it was just a dumb experiment.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
I say go for it, just use plain distilled water with a bit of biocide (and dye if you like) added separately. Leak test with external pump power and the computer turned off. There are a number of tips available, just look around a bit.

A couple of links if you are interested in submersion cooling:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The best coolant phase changes. In CPU cooling form, that ends up looking like this:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I mean there is that icegiant cooler thats pumpless and uses something like 3m novec
heavy AF tho so plan on figuring out how to brace it

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The best coolant phase changes. In CPU cooling form, that ends up looking like this:
Or uh, heatpipes.

That's how they work, and all their talk about phase changed vapour chambers and other fancy names for "liquid evaporates and recondenses"

As for the OP: as a beginner, stick with the common options.
Why? Because theres a lot of things only experience can teach you, and the moment you go off into unusual choices you simply don't know what will go wrong.

Oh sure, use anti freeze... but is it safe with soft tubing? Do you need specific O-rings in your fittings? Will it still be safe to use with all the common biocides and dyes?

You wont be able to google it and get reliable answers, since no one really screws around with that except people who have nothing to lose on their sponsored builds that get torn down or never touched again after the builds are done.

No, AIR cools the engine in air-cooled engines. Those cooling fins and some cases a big ass fan to flow air over them aren't there for decoration.
Have you ever run a baja bug or an off road motorcycle? The oil acts as the coolant and the oil cooler cools the oil and thus the engine.