• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

James Webb Space Telescope News

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
It's fully aligned now
The mirrors are fully alligned but the instruments have their own optical systems that aren't aligned yet.

Attachments

• 52061788279_3eecae882b_o.png
    52061788279_3eecae882b_o.png
    993.7 KB · Views: 103

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm really pleased that the JWT telescope is such a resounding success. Look forward to some great science from it.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
The JWT is epic. I'm so glad it's a resounding success.

This achievement is all the greater, because space-living devices like this can't be designed, developed and tested like normal things such as a car, no matter how complex. This is the equivalent of the first prototype going out into the field, live. Just how does one develop that and ensure it works first time? Astounding! What a superb achievement by everyone involved. :cool: :cool:

And now the whole world gets to benefit from the increased scientific understanding about the universe that this will bring. Can't wait. :)
There is no assurance that it will work. It's a game of probabilities and risk tolerance.

Remember that Mars lander that died on impact because some design measurements (Imperial vs. metric) were screwed up? And there have been plenty of astronaut casualties. Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia are the best known to Western space exploration fans.

If you look at film footage of early rocket development, there are tons of failed launches, explosions, etc.

These missions have a number of targets and milestones. Until the telescope starts generating real scientific data, it's really just warming up. If it dies a day after it starts recording real scientific data, it's not a success.

Success for the Watt telescope will be measured in years after it is fully operational. Like Hubble.

Hubble is considered fabulously successful despite its bungled deployment because it was ultimately fixed and continues to operate far beyond its original mission.

Look at the Space Shuttle Orbiter. Six were built, five were deployed as manned operational craft (the Enterprise never made an operational mission, ended up being a prototype). Of those five, two were destroyed during missions killing their crew. If there are degrees of success, where would you place the Space Shuttle program? Some people referred to it as a delivery van.

I am not certainly belittling the achievements of the people involved in the Space Shuttle program but I'm not convinced it was one of NASA's best efforts when compared to other programs.

In the same way I'm not denigrating those involved in the JWT, I'm just saying that it's way to early to light the fireworks and hold a victory parade. I'm sure the scientists and engineers actively involved in the project would largely agree that it is WAY too early to declare JWT a "resounding success" when it hasn't yet sent a single byte of scientific data as part of its mission. It's mostly just sending deployment activity telemetry.

You might be proud of your toddler who stands up on his/her own legs the very first time, but it's not like winning the Olympic marathon. There's a lot more work to reach that accomplishment.

That's what NASA missions are: marathons.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Please stick to the topic, which is the JWST and not a general discussion about NASA. Thanks.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Please stick to the topic, which is the JWST and not a general discussion about NASA. Thanks.
Yes, sure.

The main point here is that it's a little premature to declare success for JWST since it hasn't started its actual mission (the one American taxpayers are funding.) If you are Scottish you didn't fund this mission.

Using the analogy of a toddler learning to walk is a very useful illustration where JWST is in its progress.

Declarations of JWST success concerning its science mission really need to be shelved for 5-10 years. Like I said, if the telescope dies a month after sending its first scientific data back to Earth, it's not a success based on the program's budget and anticipated mission duration.

Trust me, I paid my tax obligation to the IRS so some of my dollars sent this thing into space. I want it to succeed. But declaring victory now is crazy.

Last edited:
System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I follow this thread just to know when more pictures will come along. I can't wait, seriously I can't wait for all the calibration to complete and they start turning it around taking more pictures. I checked on the telescope's website and if I understand correctly the last stage is ongoing. I wonder if they will point it to "close" objects as well.

Case Apple proprietary
I follow this thread just to know when more pictures will come along. I can't wait, seriously I can't wait for all the calibration to complete and they start turning it around taking more pictures. I checked on the telescope's website and if I understand correctly the last stage is ongoing. I wonder if they will point it to "close" objects as well.
I want to see the pictures too.

The easiest way to stay up to date is to follow one of JWST's social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, whatever) not this TPU thread.

I'm following the JWST on one of their social media channels but the science mission won't start for months so I muted notifications for a month after the last update.

If you follow any general science/astronomy content authors on social media, they will do a pretty good job at highlighting key moments in JWST's progress: Neil deGrasse Tyson is one such online character. He is American, if there are any notable Bulgarian astronomers you admire, you may want to follow them as well.

From the JWST website

you can see that there are Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and Instagram feeds. Most of these should provide more timely updates than this thread.

The last major update (within the past 24 hours) was that the telescope passed an alignment test.

Per NASA's news bulletin:

It will take a couple of months for the JWST to prep and test science instruments, what NASA refers to as instrument commissioning, before Webb releases its first photos.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
There is no assurance that it will work. It's a game of probabilities and risk tolerance.

Remember that Mars lander that died on impact because some design measurements (Imperial vs. metric) were screwed up? And there have been plenty of astronaut casualties. Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia are the best known to Western space exploration fans.

If you look at film footage of early rocket development, there are tons of failed launches, explosions, etc.

These missions have a number of targets and milestones. Until the telescope starts generating real scientific data, it's really just warming up. If it dies a day after it starts recording real scientific data, it's not a success.

Success for the Watt telescope will be measured in years after it is fully operational. Like Hubble.

Hubble is considered fabulously successful despite its bungled deployment because it was ultimately fixed and continues to operate far beyond its original mission.

Look at the Space Shuttle Orbiter. Six were built, five were deployed as manned operational craft (the Enterprise never made an operational mission, ended up being a prototype). Of those five, two were destroyed during missions killing their crew. If there are degrees of success, where would you place the Space Shuttle program? Some people referred to it as a delivery van.

I am not certainly belittling the achievements of the people involved in the Space Shuttle program but I'm not convinced it was one of NASA's best efforts when compared to other programs.

In the same way I'm not denigrating those involved in the JWT, I'm just saying that it's way to early to light the fireworks and hold a victory parade. I'm sure the scientists and engineers actively involved in the project would largely agree that it is WAY too early to declare JWT a "resounding success" when it hasn't yet sent a single byte of scientific data as part of its mission. It's mostly just sending deployment activity telemetry.

You might be proud of your toddler who stands up on his/her own legs the very first time, but it's not like winning the Olympic marathon. There's a lot more work to reach that accomplishment.

That's what NASA missions are: marathons.
It has returned test data showing that it's working even better than expected, so yes, that shows that it's a resounding success. The probability that it will keep working well into the future is therefore very high.

Well, things COULD go wrong at any time, so fair enough if we're cautious to call it a resounding success yet, but everything is going swimmingly so far. Let's hope it keeps up for actual missions.

Here they are:

I'm personally most excited about possible exoplanets data, it's so hard to get tons of data on such relatively small objects so far away. Superior parameters of JWST could be real game changer here!

Yes, sure.

The main point here is that it's a little premature to declare success for JWST since it hasn't started its actual mission (the one American taxpayers are funding.) If you are Scottish you didn't fund this mission.

Using the analogy of a toddler learning to walk is a very useful illustration where JWST is in its progress.

Declarations of JWST success concerning its science mission really need to be shelved for 5-10 years. Like I said, if the telescope dies a month after sending its first scientific data back to Earth, it's not a success based on the program's budget and anticipated mission duration.

Trust me, I paid my tax obligation to the IRS so some of my dollars sent this thing into space. I want it to succeed. But declaring victory now is crazy.
And his point was that this is a NEWS thread, not a "meritless silly option" thread. Take your nonsense elsewhere.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Yes, sure.

Thanks for taking a big steamy piss all over everyone else's excitement here.
You're not saying anything new or that anyone here doesn't know already for themselves.

As they say in hippie culture, "Stop harshing our mellow".
Let us enjoy it - We'll worry about the rest if and when that time comes.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
It's space. Things can go wrong at any time, practically goes without saying... nothing is a victory until the end etc. That being said things are looking positive thus far.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Case Apple proprietary
For US residents, this coming Wednesday July 13 at 9pm PBS will premiere a NOVA episode "Ultimate Space Telescope" about the James Webb Space Telescope.

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's an amazing photo, but there's a ton of distortion going on. They still have some work to do.

That's not distortion as such, but gravitational lensing. One can correct it, but it's something the telescope will not do.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Here is the uncompressed image of the first image:

The first image was actually this. Same part of the sky but another image sensor, which is monochrome.

That's not distortion as such, but gravitational lensing. One can correct it, but it's something the telescope will not do.
Apart from that, the only distortion I see are the spikes. I'm wondering if they can reduce them in software.

The spikes also aren't simple white lines, they contain some kind of colourful diffraction patterns. It's possible that the scientists can extract some useful information regarding the spectrum of light.

Also, this is infrared, so it's false colour. Do we know what wavelengths was this image taken in?

That's not distortion as such, but gravitational lensing.
I am very familiar with gravitational lensing. However if you look closely, there are areas of the image where distorsions are taking place but not where they should be and not where there is an apparent source.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I am very familiar with gravitational lensing. However if you look closely, there are areas of the image where distorsions are taking place but not where they should be and not where there is an apparent source.

I would wager it’s due to the image being a wide field and the center of the image is where the focal point is, it looks like it’s had a bubble filter applied.

The spikes may be simply due to the wavelength of light that sensor picks up VS the infrared wavelengths the deep field sensors use, or just an expected abberation from multiple diffraction angles for objects not in the center of the focus.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems NASA may think this is 'gravitational lensing'.

Last Updated: 12th July, 2022 18:37 IST
James Webb Space Telescope's Image Distortion Explained; What Is Gravitational Lensing?
According to NASA, which has tirelessly worked with its partners - the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) - in commissioning the Webb telescope, this picture shows the SMACS 0723 as it was 4.6 billion years ago. Moreover, it is made from images at different wavelengths in 12.5 hours and if seen carefully appears to be weirdly distorted, something which cannot be blamed on the $10 billion telescope but on the featured galaxies that warped the space around them and the phenomenon of 'gravitational lensing'.