• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cubic boron arsenide semi conductors

System Name i5 Raket Meer -S
Processor i5 11600KF @ 5.3ghz (all cores active) 5.5ghz (3 cores active) Idle: 1.4615v load: 1.4850v
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX
Cooling Enermax Liqmax III 360 ARGB
Memory Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2x8GB | Stock: 2667mhz 19-19-19-43 1.2v |@ 19-19-19-43 3733mhz 1.45v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060TI
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb Gen4 || Samsung EVO 850 1 TB
Case Fractal Design S2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 V2, 80 Plus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Logitech MX keys
Software Win 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Data not available.
I just read an article on tomshardware about researchers finding a promising new kind of semi conductor, composition in the title. Promising a big improvement, lower temperatures, better electrical conductivity, and improved performance. Silicon just has a really bad thermal conductivity, that's why the nodes keep getting smaller and smaller but with way more transistors than the previous gen nodes, thus improved performance with lower power required, thus lower thermals.
But, i assume, everything has a limit. The smallest node currently is 18A or 1.8nm, think it was samsung that has the current lead in terms of smallest node.
The article does continue on saying it will probably take decades to replace it as an industry standard. Then there's quantum computing, destroying any classical binary computing system by to the power of 10 in terms of raw computing power.
But nothing in our current digital world is ready for quantum computing, security being the biggest problem, if a quantum computer can hack a 2048 bit satellite encryption in seconds it's a big big problem, but I digress.

Do you guys think this new type of semi conductor will be the next silicon with classical computing systems ? And if so, would it really take decades for it be commercially available?

Last edited:
Then there's quantum computing, destroying any classical binary computing system by to the power of 10 in terms of raw computing power.
That is a myth. Quantum computers do some work very fast, but they will never replace traditional computers. Even if someone comes up with a room temperature QBit IC, they still will not replace transistors. They don't work the same way.

Do you guys think this new type of semi conductor will be the next silicon with classical computing systems ?
Who knows. Some thought Gallium Arsenide would be the Silicon replacement, then Gallium Nitride and so on. We need something though. Silicon is reaching it's limits very quickly.

Processor i5 11600KF @ 5.3ghz (all cores active) 5.5ghz (3 cores active) Idle: 1.4615v load: 1.4850v
Memory Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2x8GB | Stock: 2667mhz 19-19-19-43 1.2v |@ 19-19-19-43 3733mhz 1.45v
Case Fractal Design S2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Win 11 pro
That is a myth. Quantum computers do some work very fast, but they will never replace traditional computers. Even if someone comes up with a room temperature QBit IC, they still will not replace transistors. They don't work the same way.
They don't work the same way because no one has written an foundation algorithm yet. BMW for example did use its own quantum dwave hybrid system to calculate the best position for sensor location in their vehicles, a task that would've taken 70 times slower when done with a classical supercomputer. But if IBM already has an 127 qubit (albeit not at room temperature) they are going to replace classical systems, china's Zuchongzhi 2.1 performs quantum computing 10 million times faster than google's sycamore computing system, and Google sycamore did a task in 2019 in 200 seconds that Google claimed, would take a conventional binary system 10.000 years to complete.
Yes, there is no practical use for quantum computing yet. So all that computing power is useless for the most part right now. But, how many practical use was there for binary computing back in 1945 when The ENIAC was created? I'm guessing not alot. It's a matter of time in terms of quantum computing. They will replace classical systems, they just have to find a way to have it function with room temps.
Who knows. Some thought Gallium Arsenide would be the Silicon replacement, then Gallium Nitride and so on. We need something though. Silicon is reaching it's limits very quickly.
Yeah I assume TSMC, Intel, Qualcomm, Micron, Samsung, all the major chip makers have an R&D department that probably have dozens more semi conductor candidates lined up.

Last edited:
Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Just reading from wikipedia, "Chemical synthesis of cubic BAs is very challenging and its single crystal forms usually have defects", looks like the defects are a big blocker for it.
With large amounts of defects, integrated circuits in small dimensions won't be possible, this is also the issue for gallium arsenide semiconductors.
Unless some day we develop a new process to sythesize BAs with minimal defects, it won't be able to replace silicon

Case Fractal Design S2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Win 11 pro
Just reading from wikipedia, "Chemical synthesis of cubic BAs is very challenging and its single crystal forms usually have defects", looks like the defects are a big blocker for it.
With large amounts of defects, integrated circuits in small dimensions won't be possible, this is also the issue for gallium arsenide semiconductors.
Unless some day we develop a new process to sythesize BAs with minimal defects, it won't be able to replace silicon
Ofcourse, but you're describing production problems and practical use of the semi conductor. Those are challenges that can be overcome, silicon was far from perfect when the Micral N was launched back in the 70's. Im guessing the increasing silicon shortages will probably motivate the private sector to innovate.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I just read an article on tomshardware about researchers finding a promising new kind of semi conductor, composition in the title. Promising a big improvement, lower temperatures, better electrical conductivity, and improved performance. Silicon just has a really bad thermal conductivity, that's why the nodes keep getting smaller and smaller but with way more transistors than the previous gen nodes, thus improved performance with lower power required, thus lower thermals.
Thermal conductivity of silicon sure is an issue but I don't think it's already a limiting factor. Even if it conducted heat with zero thermal resistance, transistors would still generate as much heat, therefore, consume as much electrical power. We'd still need to have monstruous cooling systems and equally monstruous power delivery - just think about the Cerebras whole-wafer computer. We'd still be dealing with the fact that some power is lost even before it reaches the transistors - in the PCB tracks on the substrate and in the metal layers on the chip. A significant part of power I believe, but can't find any hard data.
But, i assume, everything has a limit. The smallest node currently is 18A or 1.8nm, think it was samsung that has the current lead in terms of smallest node.
You understand that if you use this kind of nanometers consistently then Mr. Pat Gelsinger is about 8 inches tall, right?
Do you guys think this new type of semi conductor will be the next silicon with classical computing systems ?
I think smart people will find materials and structures that are a little better. Or significantly better. Not fundamentally better. BAs is supposed to have much higher electron mobility than Si, that's good. Hole mobility equal to electron mobility, that's good too - it's a real technical issue in Si transistors, you can't build perfectly symmetrical CMOS pairs because of that.
And if so, would it really take decades for it be commercially available?
Yes. It doesn't seem like something that can bring prices down in, like, a decade. No matter what materials we use, and even if we employ nanotubes and nanosheets and whatnot, we only have one method that can mass produce transistors - lithography and deposition and chemical processing, each repeated many times over. That's how we manage to make a ~1 n$ (nanodollar) transistor, and I see no indication that it's going to become much cheaper, and the price of materials is probably a small fraction of total manufacturing cost.

Case Fractal Design S2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Win 11 pro
Thermal conductivity of silicon sure is an issue but I don't think it's already a limiting factor. Even if it conducted heat with zero thermal resistance, transistors would still generate as much heat, therefore, consume as much electrical power. We'd still need to have monstruous cooling systems and equally monstruous power delivery - just think about the Cerebras whole-wafer computer. We'd still be dealing with the fact that some power is lost even before it reaches the transistors - in the PCB tracks on the substrate and in the metal layers on the chip. A significant part of power I believe, but can't find any hard data.

You understand that if you use this kind of nanometers consistently then Mr. Pat Gelsinger is about 8 inches tall, right?

I think smart people will find materials and structures that are a little better. Or significantly better. Not fundamentally better. BAs is supposed to have much higher electron mobility than Si, that's good. Hole mobility equal to electron mobility, that's good too - it's a real technical issue in Si transistors, you can't build perfectly symmetrical CMOS pairs because of that.

Yes. It doesn't seem like something that can bring prices down in, like, a decade. No matter what materials we use, and even if we employ nanotubes and nanosheets and whatnot, we only have one method that can mass produce transistors - lithography and deposition and chemical processing, each repeated many times over. That's how we manage to make a ~1 n$ (nanodollar) transistor, and I see no indication that it's going to become much cheaper, and the price of materials is probably a small fraction of total manufacturing cost.
Solid answer! Thanks. But I disagree on you saying that smaller nodes are producing just as much heat per mhz as previous generations. It's a fact that the voltage needed to achieve the same frequency (and often with more cores) have dropped with each new generation. The fact that most cpus today are still generating massive amounts of heat is mainly because of the heat sinks which on intel hasn't really changed alot the past few generations, looking at AMD, their zen 2/3 and now 4 chips have heatsinks that evolved with the rest of the chip, intel is lagging behind on this.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Yes, there is no practical use for quantum computing yet. So all that computing power is useless for the most part right now.
Even today it's pretty clear that quantum computers will be exceedingly good at simulating physical processes, which is what supercomputers and HPC clusters are often used for. That may include machine learning.
But, how many practical use was there for binary computing back in 1945 when The ENIAC was created? I'm guessing not alot. It's a matter of time in terms of quantum computing.
Hm. That's not a good analogy. Mechanical and electromechanical digital computers were a common occurence before electronic digital computers appeared. The theory and usability were well known and probably not horribly hard to grasp even to an engineering or mathematics student at the time. Digital communication and storage was even more common - think Morse code and telegraph and musical boxes. Quantum communications? Maybe I'm ignorant but I'm not aware of even an attempt to make a quantum computer exchange quantum data (whatever that is) with another quantum computer. Yes, there are digital optical communications secured by quantum effects but that's not the same.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Solid answer! Thanks. But I disagree on you saying that smaller nodes are producing just as much heat per mhz as previous generations. It's a fact that the voltage needed to achieve the same frequency (and often with more cores) have dropped with each new generation. The fact that most cpus today are still generating massive amounts of heat is mainly because of the heat sinks which on intel hasn't really changed alot the past few generations, looking at AMD, their zen 2/3 and now 4 chips have heatsinks that evolved with the rest of the chip, intel is lagging behind on this.
The cooler attached has little influence in the capacity of a chip to heat it.
New smaller nodes give off more heat IN the circuit simply because of smaller transistors being more tightly arranged in a ever smaller package, and usually significantly more transistors each generation.
Dropping the volts used might help, but it cannot fully mitigate the heat saturation issues that abound now.

There's just too much happening in too small a space.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
When you design transistors 5nm big*, that's like 25 Si atoms side by side. When you're looking at compounds, there's even less of them. So the alternative needs to be a good deal better than Si, if it is to work with fewer molecules.
Also keep in mind that, for 100 things that work in a lab, there's maybe 1 product out there built on an industrial scale.

*good thing transistors aren't actually nm yet, some of their features are.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Then there's quantum computing, destroying any classical binary computing system by to the power of 10 in terms of raw computing power.

There are very few things a quantum computer can do exponentially faster and even then, without error correction it will not scale.

Grover's search algorithm is generic, but not exponentially faster.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
There are very few things a quantum computer can do faster and even then, without error correction it will not scale.
The technology is still in its infancy, have patience and give it time. :) It really will live up to the promises when it's matured.

I read an article only the other day about research scientists making great advances with the decoherence problem. Essentially extending it from something like half a second to the full time of the experiment of 5.5 seconds. If I find the article I'll post it here.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Very impressive, but I remain skeptical.

Here is why: there is an error correcting scheme by Shor, but it presupposes that the support bits are error free; I find this a mathematical contradiction, to admit errors, but not in all qbits involved.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Very impressive, but I remain skeptical.

Here is why: there is an error correcting scheme by Shor, but it presupposes that the support bits are error free; I find this a mathematical contradiction, to admit errors, but not in all qbits involved.
You have to read that article to understand how. It's new research and hard to remember the details off the top of my head, but I seem to remember it used extra "sacrificial" qubits to increase the coherence time. It certainly didn't violate any laws of physics.

Memory 16GB DDR3
I should have been more careful; I am not skeptical about the increased coherence time, but rather what it is aimed at, namely error free calculation. There is a reason analog computing is all but dead (error accumulation).

But this is off topic; perhaps there should be a thread on quantum computing?

Last edited:
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Gan found it's place and perfect commercial applications.
And is in use today, hopefully they are quicker with this though.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Did it? in the sense that they are good for power ICs and blue LEDs, but not so much high-density integrated circuits.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Did it? in the sense that they are good for power ICs and blue LEDs, but not so much high-density integrated circuits.

Correct me if I am wrong.
I said it has its place, not that it took over the world and is competing with silicon.

And it does, in the right use case it makes silicon look bad.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Silicon is reaching it's limits very quickly.
including supply.

This article about Silicon output dropping significantly causing a potential shortage. There are other sources talking about this, any shortage will be because of bigger demand vs mining production.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
Ah, due to a shortage of energy to process it; it is after all the main component of sand.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Ah, due to a shortage of energy to process it; it is after all the main component of sand.
Yea and its costs will escalate high enough to make it necessary to put more effort into mass producing other materials as was mentioned already.

Last edited:
Yeah I assume TSMC, Intel, Qualcomm, Micron, Samsung, all the major chip makers have an R&D department that probably have dozens more semi conductor candidates lined up.
Most do, but it's slow going because most do not see the writing on the wall yet. My guess is that whatever it is will have some form of Arsenide as a substrate material.

This article about Silicone output dropping significantly causing a potential shortage.
You meant Silicon..

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H