• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon Pro WX 4150/4170 Mobile - custom VBIOS FOR HP ZBook + iMac

I have attached some schematics, I have the full set, but let me know if this one helps. The card should arrive next Wednesday or Thursday.

This laptop has the 120hz eDP panel so Intel iGPU is not enabled at all. I also have a 60hz LVDS panel laying around, that one enables intel iGPU but I have unlocked BIOS so I can turn it off as well.
Mxm connector schematics?

I suppose that used A B C D? Ports? Same as at Zbook 15 G3, G4

EDP is C port

Lvds is not supported on Polaris gpus, only DP and DP+

ssj92

EDP is C port

Here is the full file. Hopefully it has everything you need to see.

Attachments

• m17xr3.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 40

ssj92

EDP is C port

Hi, received my RX 580 MXM card today. Stock vBIOS causes 8 beeps (no post).

Tried the "Dell RX 580 Mobile" vBIOS on TPU database and that one doesn't cause 8 beep but there's nothing on the screen.

I think they need to be modified as you were saying to work with my eDP display.

Attachments

• rx580stock.bin
    256 KB · Views: 38
  • Dell.RX580Mobile.8192.170419.rom
    256 KB · Views: 48
Hi, received my RX 580 MXM card today. Stock vBIOS causes 8 beeps (no post).

Tried the "Dell RX 580 Mobile" vBIOS on TPU database and that one doesn't cause 8 beep but there's nothing on the screen.

I think they need to be modified as you were saying to work with my eDP display.
Hey, how’s it going?

ssj92

Hey, how’s it going?
No luck flashing any of the RX 580 mobile vBIOS on TPU database.
I attached stock vBIOS card came with along with the schematic of laptop if you could take a look when you have time.
I wonder if the vBIOS just needs editing for my eDP display or if there’s a bigger issue.

there is someone with same laptop who has rx 560 mxm type-a card working. It was a hp wx4150 and he flashed dell rx 560 mobile vBIOS and got it working so I assume I just need vBIOS mod.

rx580stock+GOP+CHK.bin.zipNo luck flashing any of the RX 580 mobile vBIOS on TPU database.
I attached stock vBIOS card came with along with the schematic of laptop if you could take a look when you have time.
I wonder if the vBIOS just needs editing for my eDP display or if there’s a bigger issue.

there is someone with same laptop who has rx 560 mxm type-a card working. It was a hp wx4150 and he flashed dell rx 560 mobile vBIOS and got it working so I assume I just need vBIOS mod.
Do you have high res images of GPU?
I can't find Rx580, or you have WX7100? Coz the best way is to find original vbios which works without (8 Beeps). If GPU is Dell or HP, or other subvendor

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 12.57.12 PM.pngYour Subvendor is 1787
For SubDevice is 2378

Also stock vbios doesnt have a GOP. Your platform is GOP compatible?

First of all check if rx580stock+GOP+CHK.bin will post. If it does, great

Secondary: rx580stock+GOP+CHK+DP(A,B,C,D).bin
This vbios is build to support DP(A,B,C,D) ports. If it Post, should work correctly with displays

Attachments

• rx580stock+GOP+CHK.bin.zip
    109.7 KB · Views: 72
  • rx580stock+GOP+CHK+DP(A,B,C,D).bin.zip
    109.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

ssj92

I can't find Rx580, or you have WX7100? Coz the best way is to find original vbios which works without (8 Beeps). If GPU is Dell or HP, or other subvendor

View attachment 257431Your Subvendor is 1787
For SubDevice is 2378

This vbios is build to support DP(A,B,C,D) ports. If it Post, should work correctly with displays
Thank you so much! I will try these after work today and report back.

I've attached some images of GPU, let me know if you need better ones.

It is an RX 580 as far as I know. Seller listed it as RX 580 as well. The stock vBIOS I posted is what it had come with.

Yes the vBIOS had no GOP, which might be a good thing? You see this BIOS is weird, it does not have full UEFI support. Instead, it has some sort of UEFI wrapper. This is the reason 980/970M GPUs do not work with this M17x R3 (Sandy Bridge) but those GPUs work fine with M17xR2 (1st Gen i7). Someone in our Alienware group chat told me they got M5000M (980M Quadro) working by removing UEFI gop from vBIOS. I tried this on my 970M using hex editor and just removing UEFI portion and padding with FF but it still didn't post (I had given up on that GPU for the time being and got RX 580).

880M and older GPUs with older GOP seem to post fine on this laptop so no idea what was changed with 900M+ cards.

It has an Insyde BIOS (attached) if that helps in any way possible in this process.

Is there also DP_E and DP_F? I saw somewhere a MXM card saying something like "DP_E Displayport 1.4 & eDP (internal)" but need to find that text.

View attachment 257431Your Subvendor is 1787
For SubDevice is 2378

Tried both. Both cause 8 beeps. Is it possible to get these without GOP? Just to rule that out.

Also the DellRX580Mobile vBIOS I uploaded earlier seems to not cause 8 beeps. I don't think computer is passing post because I don't hear windows 7 startup sound, but it doesn't 8 beep at least. Maybe this one is better to work on? I made one with the original clocks as well attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7257FA.jpg
    IMG_7257FA.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7258FA.jpg
    IMG_7258FA.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Alienware_M17x_R3_BIOS_A12_[unlocked]_&_'SATA_fix' (1).zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 63
  • dellrx580mod.zip
    108 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will try these after work today and report back.

I've attached some images of GPU, let me know if you need better ones.

It is an RX 580 as far as I know. Seller listed it as RX 580 as well. The stock vBIOS I posted is what it had come with.

Yes the vBIOS had no GOP, which might be a good thing? You see this BIOS is weird, it does not have full UEFI support. Instead, it has some sort of UEFI wrapper. This is the reason 980/970M GPUs do not work with this M17x R3 (Sandy Bridge) but those GPUs work fine with M17xR2 (1st Gen i7). Someone in our Alienware group chat told me they got M5000M (980M Quadro) working by removing UEFI gop from vBIOS. I tried this on my 970M using hex editor and just removing UEFI portion and padding with FF but it still didn't post (I had given up on that GPU for the time being and got RX 580).

880M and older GPUs with older GOP seem to post fine on this laptop so no idea what was changed with 900M+ cards.

It has an Insyde BIOS (attached) if that helps in any way possible in this process.

Is there also DP_E and DP_F? I saw somewhere a MXM card saying something like "DP_E Displayport 1.4 & eDP (internal)" but need to find that text.

Tried both. Both cause 8 beeps. Is it possible to get these without GOP? Just to rule that out.

Also the DellRX580Mobile vBIOS I uploaded earlier seems to not cause 8 beeps. I don't think computer is passing post because I don't hear windows 7 startup sound, but it doesn't 8 beep at least. Maybe this one is better to work on? I made one with the original clocks as well attached.
8 beep codes. What do they mean?

950m not working at all as primary gpu at desktop Haswell for me. But users succeed it on Zbook G2, which is also a Haswell. I think that the problem is in memory enumeration.

If dell vbios is working fine no beeps, but OS is stalls?

Use lighter to confirm that it has output but not a backlight

ssj92

8 beep codes. What do they mean?

950m not working at all as primary gpu at desktop Haswell for me. But users succeed it on Zbook G2, which is also a Haswell. I think that the problem is in memory enumeration.

If dell vbios is working fine no beeps, but OS is stalls?

Use lighter to confirm that it has output but not a backlight
8 beeps = LCD failure. It can happen due to bad lcd, no lcd recognized but also gpu failure. Is there difference in vBIOS to enable eDP vs DP? Or it’s same?

the dell vbios , I am not sure if it’s actually working. It is stalling somewhere I believe. But it doesn’t cause 8 beep so it’s better than the stock vBIOS. I tried hooking up hdmi with dell vbios but no video output (internal display has to at least be recognized by system). Ill check today if there was any picture on lcd but I don’t think there was.

sorry I’m not sure what it means by memory enumeration, is it related to VRAM amount on new gpu?

maxwell GM107 works but GM204 has 8 beeps. The RX560 (wx4150 flashed with dell rx560 vbios) is working on the other person’s computer so this one should work. I have hope for it

8 beeps = LCD failure. It can happen due to bad lcd, no lcd recognized but also gpu failure. Is there difference in vBIOS to enable eDP vs DP? Or it’s same?

the dell vbios , I am not sure if it’s actually working. It is stalling somewhere I believe. But it doesn’t cause 8 beep so it’s better than the stock vBIOS. I tried hooking up hdmi with dell vbios but no video output (internal display has to at least be recognized by system). Ill check today if there was any picture on lcd but I don’t think there was.

sorry I’m not sure what it means by memory enumeration, is it related to VRAM amount on new gpu?

maxwell GM107 works but GM204 has 8 beeps. The RX560 (wx4150 flashed with dell rx560 vbios) is working on the other person’s computer so this one should work. I have hope for it
EDP is a DP but with pwm signal and backlight enable 3.3v signal.

Try to use a magnet to imitate closed lid on poweron, or close lid in one second, so imagine will go on external hdmi screen and system will recognize laptop as non lcd device

ssj92

Try to use a magnet to imitate closed lid on poweron, or close lid in one second, so imagine will go on external hdmi screen and system will recognize laptop as non lcd device
Just tested this using dell vBIOS. Nothing on internal screen, checked to see if there is picture without backlight but it's completely empty.

Tried HDMI out with lid closed, no picture on external display.

Interestingly, if I smash F2 the computer beeps everytime I press it. So it must be stuck somewhere in BIOS before post or something.

ssj92

Is there anything else left we can try?

if not, could you try doing the chk+dp(a,b,c,d) mod to the dell vbios? and maybe one without gop as well using dell vbios?

victoramm

Just got into real trouble.

I have pegatron wx4150 and working PERFECT for months. Integrated graphis DISABLED and everything, using nebula VBIOS

but some days ago I was checking some hard drives and enabled UEFI with CSM so I can boot some drives that still have MBR.

After changing to uefi with CSM the graphics adapter does not show video on pre-boot and bios, albeit it boots fine into the hard drive and shows image on OS.

But now my bios is not acessible by any means, Zbook 15 G1 does not have any way to clear cmos, even removing battery and etc the bios will always save settings. So i cannot adjust boot order, enable/disable bios options, grub OS selection, etc...

Is there any bios that works with integrated graphics disabled, with uefi with csm, so I can revert back to my working settings? Or I am stuck right now forever without bios access? maybe buy an used k610m just do boot in bios...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just got into real trouble.

I have pegatron wx4150 and working PERFECT for months. Integrated graphis DISABLED and everything, using nebula VBIOS

but some days ago I was checking some hard drives and enabled UEFI with CSM so I can boot some drives that still have MBR.

After changing to uefi with CSM the graphics adapter does not show video on pre-boot and bios, albeit it boots fine into the hard drive and shows image on OS.

But now my bios is not acessible by any means, Zbook 15 G1 does not have any way to clear cmos, even removing battery and etc the bios will always save settings. So i cannot adjust boot order, enable/disable bios options, grub OS selection, etc...

Is there any bios that works with integrated graphics disabled, with uefi with csm, so I can revert back to my working settings? Or I am stuck right now forever without bios access? maybe buy an used k610m just do boot in bios...:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Hi! I am not sure that this gpu support CSM. But you can try ZBOOK15_G3+G4_WX4150_HP_PEGABUILD.rom vbios version. Because mine build NEBULA, actually, for iMacs or Hackintoshes and about 8-12Kb of Legacy vbios was deleted, because at my testing gear it was working good so far, and it saves a lot time on waking or initialization of gpu. But PEGABUILD is modification of original "OEM" vbios but with some powermanagment improvements, some new initialization timeouts, connectors modifications and other stuff to work better on Zbook G3 and G2.

victoramm

Hi! I am not sure that this gpu support CSM. But you can try ZBOOK15_G3+G4_WX4150_HP_PEGABUILD.rom vbios version. Because mine build NEBULA, actually, for iMacs or Hackintoshes and about 8-12Kb of Legacy vbios was deleted, because at my testing gear it was working good so far, and it saves a lot time on waking or initialization of gpu. But PEGABUILD is modification of original "OEM" vbios but with some powermanagment improvements, some new initialization timeouts, connectors modifications and other stuff to work better on Zbook G3 and G2.
Thanks did the trick, I'm using the pegatron bios, worked on all bios modes and I my laptop is working like a dream

4800mq turbo disabled -60m undervolt with 32gb ddr3l 1600
wx4150 limited to 20W (could not find on how to realiably undervolt)
notebookfan to control the fan speeds correctly (wx4150 not hw modded)

Gaming dota2 on linux at 1080p at 60gps without hiccups and with very good temperatures! I think is not much more to be optimized here :clap: