• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone seen these or read about the ballstix

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017

read this wow great price if true

Pros: This bargain makes me snicker. Obviously, if one were to resell these, they wouldn't command the same price as the same modules with the original Crucial Ballistix "Tracer" badge. What else could these be, but re-badged Tracers? These "LanFest" and those "Tracer" kits are both model XXXKIT12864AL804. "NE" stands for "NewEgg," and "2KIT" stands for dual-channel kit. The Tracers are "BL" instead of "NE" -- and one must conclude that BL" stands for "Ballistix." But with the same SPD/EPP latency specs, the LED lights and frequency spec, what are these, but re-badged Tracers? For approximately $30+ less per kit? You gotta GRAB these babies if you're interested in high-performance at a low price. High performance does not necessarily mean top speed in Mhz, either.
Cons: You can't resell them as "Crucial Ballistix Tracers," unless you call them "NewEgg LanFests which are really rebadged C__B___ Tracers." But why would you want to do that, when you can squeeze countless gaming hours out of these gems?
Other Thoughts: "Guessing" at the performance potential of prospective memory-kit purchases is almost fun. On one machine, I'm running Ballistix DDR2-1000 modules, with latency-specs 5-5-5-15 for that speed. I've got them running at 3-3-3-6-1T at DDR2-667 speed, or 3-4-4-8-1T at DDR2-720. The bandwidth benchmark is every bit as good as running them at DDR2-800 or beyond (with looser latencies.) Reviews for the DDR2-1000's suggest latencies of 4,4,4,12 when run at DDR2-800. Since the "LanFest" DDR2-800 modules are rated at 4-4-4-12, what latency settings might give stability and dependability at DDR2-720? And much of that may depend on your motherboard and processor, as