• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia

D

Deleted member 185088

You're not looking at the big picture when you say "most games". Anything that's not a fast-paced FPS or arcade game, can easily deal with the added latency.
Agreed, the issue was Google pushing for this kind of games, have they focused on more casual games it would've made more sense.
Plus the image quality, the bandwidth is very low compared to native, games need to look simple as well.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
PC Gamer is reporting that Stadia game developers were caught off guard at today's announcement:

So it's not just Google employees who were kept in the dark. It was also Stadia partners. One developer even said that their game was due to launch in 2 days time on Stadia.

Google can offer new positions for displaced Stadia employees but they can't do anything for game developer employees who are part of teams assigned to a dead platform.

:(
If anyone at those studios kept up with any Stadia news they shouldnt have been surprised that it was going to happen sooner or later. My guess is management had a hint but kept such news from its employees intentionally to keep production moving forward.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Agreed, the issue was Google pushing for this kind of games, have they focused on more casual games it would've made more sense.
Plus the image quality, the bandwidth is very low compared to native, games need to look simple as well.
The issue was they didn't have a solution on their hands first. They floated a half-baked service, hoping users will flock to it giving them leverage to strong-arm publishers into adding their titles to Stadia. When that didn't pan out, the whole thing crumbled.
Plus, this time people actually expected Stadia to fail. or otherwise be killed by Google for whatever reasons.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Plus, this time people actually expected Stadia to fail. or otherwise be killed by Google for whatever reasons.
Like all things outside of Google's core business of advertising and the hoovering up of personal information yes, most of us expected Stadia to not be around long. And here we are proving just how right we all were.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Like all things outside of Google's core business of advertising and the hoovering up of personal information yes, most of us expected Stadia to not be around long. And here we are proving just how right we all were.
This may just a feeling of mine, but I think this is bigger than us proving Google we were right. I think Stadia is the tipping point where the public told Google we will not flock to their products anymore, before they prove they're willing to commit first.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
the public told Google we will not flock to their products anymore, before they prove they're willing to commit first.
And unfortunately, anything new, no matter what it is, is going to face that kind of criticism from the public because they, themselves, did it to themselves. They've essentially ruined their reputation.

And unfortunately, anything new, no matter what it is, is going to face that kind of criticism from the public because they, themselves, did it to themselves. They've essentially ruined their reputation.
I disagree. The failure of Stadia has nothing to do with Google's reputation. No one wants to do game streaming, it's a sub-par experience at best, under optimal conditions, unplayable at worst. No one is immune. NVidia's streaming service is just as unacceptable.

System Name Firestarter
Processor 7950X
Motherboard X670E Steel Legend
Cooling LF 2 420
Memory 4x16 G.Skill X5 6000@CL36
Video Card(s) RTX Gigabutt 4090 Gaming OC
Storage OS: 2TB P41 Plat, 2TB SN770, 1TB SN770
Display(s) FO48U, some dinky TN 10.1 inch display.
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) PC38X
Power Supply GF3 TT Premium 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard OG Razer Black Widow
Why did it take so long? Cloud gaming is horrible.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I disagree. The failure of Stadia has nothing to do with Google's reputation. No one wants to do game streaming, it's a sub-par experience at best, under optimal conditions, unplayable at worst. No one is immune. NVidia's streaming service is just as unacceptable.
I believe Google's reputation had a lot to do with how Stadia performed.
Streaming can be perfectly fine for playing something like Fallout or Witcher. However, after Googled screwed my with Google Play Music (for no particular reason), I decided that even if I was curious about Stadia, I would sit it out and see how it plays.

Where everybody hits a wall, is publishers that refuse to let you pay once, play everywhere. If someone manages to build a solid user base, that may change. But it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Nvidia seems to have taken a different path: tell people GPUs are too expensive and they should rent rendering services instead (see Mr. Huang recent statements). Personally, I have no idea where this will all end up.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I disagree. The failure of Stadia has nothing to do with Google's reputation.
I'm talking about the "Google Situation" from a more than just Stadia. Go ahead and look at the Google Graveyard - Killed by Google and tell me, would you trust Google to come out with something and keep at it long term? Nope. Nope. Nope.
However, after Googled screwed my with Google Play Music
Exactly. This is what I'm talking about here. Google has no staying power in whatever they've done. If it wasn't for how Android is basically a walking spy OS, they'd probably have killed it off years ago.

Remember, if it doesn't practically print the green stuff, Google shuts it down. And now that mentality is killing any possibility of Google getting anything new because who the hell will trust Google? Not me.

I believe Google's reputation had a lot to do with how Stadia performed.
Streaming can be perfectly fine for playing something like Fallout or Witcher. However, after Googled screwed my with Google Play Music (for no particular reason), I decided that even if I was curious about Stadia, I would sit it out and see how it plays.

Where everybody hits a wall, is publishers that refuse to let you pay once, play everywhere. If someone manages to build a solid user base, that may change. But it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Nvidia seems to have taken a different path: tell people GPUs are too expensive and they should rent rendering services instead (see Mr. Huang recent statements). Personally, I have no idea where this will all end up.
I'm talking about the "Google Situation" from a more than just Stadia. Go ahead and look at the Google Graveyard - Killed by Google and tell me, would you trust Google to come out with something and keep at it long term? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Exactly. This is what I'm talking about here. Google has no staying power in whatever they've done. If it wasn't for how Android is basically a walking spy OS, they'd probably have killed it off years ago.

Remember, if it doesn't practically print the green stuff, Google shuts it down. And now that mentality is killing any possibility of Google getting anything new because who the hell will trust Google? Not me.
And both of those expressions are examples of experience based bias. I too had a large Google Play Music library. It was my goto place to buy music. However, times change and Goggle wasn't making money from the Music side of things. That's hardly no reason.

The reality is Google is a pioneering company. They try things and take risks. This means they have a lot of failures. Stadia was an easy one to pick out.

As for the other comments expressed, I'm just not touching them except to say that you are welcome to your opinions.

Last edited:
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
However, times change and Goggle wasn't making money of the Music side of things.
And yet if you go over to the Apple side of things, Apple Music is making money. Spotify makes money too. Sometimes you have to go in it for the long term and potentially lose a hell of a lot of money in order for something to take off.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Those are both primary music streaming services..
And yet if Google had decided to keep at it, they too may've been in the position of making money hand over fist in the music streaming business. However, they didn't.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yep google couldn't compete with candy crush :laugh:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
And both of those expressions are examples of experience based bias. I too had a large Google Play Music library. It was my goto place to buy music. However, times change and Goggle wasn't making money of the Music side of things. That hardly no reason.
Except that didn't kill Google Play Music, they folded it into that YouTube Music abomination. For no reason at all.
The reality is Google is a pioneering company. They try things and take risks. This means they have a lot of failures. Stadia was an easy one to pick out.
How about their endless stream of IM applications? They not pioneering anything wrt to IM.
From what I have read, it's all about groups gaining (and losing) influence within Google and shoving their projects over anyone else's. A phenomenon management either doesn't want or cannot manage.

And, as I've said it before, I'm not against software evolution, even it's radical from time to time. But do it Apple's way: rip the guts out of everything and anything you want, just don't change the UI without a good reason. You don't have to announce (and market) a new IM or video call project, just because you've changed your internal architecture on the server or something like that.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Well this certainly came out of left field. I've only heard positive news about the service...minus the in house studio shut down, constant rumors of service shut down, lack of significant customer base...but other than that all positive news

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
And both of those expressions are examples of experience based bias. I too had a large Google Play Music library. It was my goto place to buy music. However, times change and Goggle wasn't making money of the Music side of things. That hardly no reason.

As for the other comments expressed, I'm just not touching them except to say that you are welcome to your opinions.
The reality is Google is a profiteering company, if it wasnt it wouldnt need your personal information for profit. Clearly STadia was not making the money Google expected. What no touched on was that fact that Stadia was announced along side the other game streaming services, bias has everything to do with choice of which one to subscribe to. I said at that time Google is not know for its gaming expertise, that players will take that into consideration too. Reputation cannot be dismissed and will always a factor until whatever being sold has been proven worthy of accessing your wallet.

Stadia would have had a bit more longevity if there was a more powerful Chromecast device could at least also act like a full Android device; install some games onto it and just play it on the screen. Basically a much better version of the Ouya (which used a proprietary library instead of a common Android library). I wonder if there will be any way to repurpose the controller once Stadia shuts down.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
No matter all the evidence some will still believe the future of PC gaming is cloud based. It reminds me of 12 years ago when the chicken littles were crying out that PC gaming was dying. Now look at us. Growing by billions of dollars every year. Larger revenue than either Xboxes or Playstations. It's the opposite of dying. It's so ridiculously lucrative that MS and Sony have started porting over their former console exclusives to PC just to cash in on the fortune of yearly PC gaming revenue.
as long as people are stuck with crap internet looking at cable with low uploads with Data caps, low speed DSL etc Latency will always make cloud gaming a non starter. People that actually play games understand this the general public does not.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
as long as people are stuck with crap internet looking at cable with low uploads with Data caps, low speed DSL etc Latency will always make cloud gaming a non starter.
Yeah. DOCSIS 4.0 is supposed to solve a lot of the issues with cable Internet, but I have a feeling that many people are going to be waiting years to have that deployed in their area.

As for xDSL, it's pretty much dead and even the likes of AT&T who bet heavily on VDSL/VDSL2 with FTTN is waking up to the idea that it's time to deploy FTTH. In my area, AT&T is deploying FTTH as fast as they possibly can. The only hindrance is that according to an AT&T tech that I know, even with installers working 60-hour weeks they can't keep up with the workload. Apparently, installations are two weeks out. I had my service (500/500) installed back when people were only waiting a week to have service installed.

Last edited:
System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Yeah. DOCSIS 4.0 is supposed to solve a lot of the issues with cable Internet, but I have a feeling that many people are going to be waiting years to have that deployed in their area.

As for xDSL, it's pretty much dead and even the likes of AT&T who bet heavily on VDSL/VDSL2 with FTTN is waking up to the idea that it's time to deploy FTTH. In my area, AT&T is deploying FTTH as fast as they possibly can. The only hindrance is that according to an AT&T tech that I know, even with installers working 60-hour weeks they can't keep up with the workload. Apparently, installations are two weeks out. I had my service (500/500) installed back when people were only waiting a week to have service installed.

I was today years old when I learned about VDSL2, so perhaps this is a naive take, but wouldn't VDSL2 be tenable with FTTC?

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I was today years old when I learned about VDSL2, so perhaps this is a naive take, but wouldn't VDSL2 be tenable with FTTC?
VDSL2 was meant to be used in a FTTC type setup but AT&T stupidly used it in a FTTN type setup where they were using it on loops as long as four thousand feet. I don't think I need to tell you how that idea worked out. Hint... it didn't work well at all.

Back when I had VDSL2 service from AT&T I had a loop length of less than eight hundred feet where I was able to get 100/20 service quite easily. Now, I have FTTH service with 500 Mbps symmetrical speeds that (due to overprovisioning) acts like anywhere from 600 to 650 Mbps symmetrical.