• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you use Linux?

Do you use Linux?

• Total voters
I've set up the OS myself and hold the keys to the admin account -> it is Linux
I bought it with the OS preinstalled and locked down -> it isn't Linux
That's your personal perspective and while it might be true for you personally, but that is not what a professional viewpoint is based on.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
My explanation of why some people think Android is not Linux.

I've set up the OS myself and hold the keys to the admin account -> it is Linux
I bought it with the OS preinstalled and locked down -> it isn't Linux
Why Huawei can't use android?
if it's linux, if it's opensource, then how can one big fat guy say others shouldn't use it?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
if it's linux, if it's opensource, then how can one big fat guy say others shouldn't use it?
They can use it. They can't use any of the propietary bits that make it "google" though (The play store etc)

Processor i7-13700kf
Motherboard MSi Z690-A
Cooling cuplex kryos full copper @ Xylem D5 PWM + EK 360mm + 4xNB-eLoop B12-4 @ Aquareo6
Memory 2X16GB 6600Mhz CL34 G.Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT Ref.
Storage Samsung (980 PRO 1TB + PM951 512GB)
Display(s) Benq XL2540K + Benq EX2510 + Sony 50W805b
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Beyerdinamics DT990 600ohm & Dali Zensor 5 @ Cambridge Audio CXA60
Power Supply Sharkoon CoolZero Silent Storm 850W
Mouse Zowie FK1
Keyboard Leopold Fc900r
I used to play on PC with my old build (i5-4690k+r9-290x) I had the 290x from the beginning back in 2014 (before a 6950) then sold it for buying ps5, lucky I got it at launch and not from scalper, I like console gaming its so easy and relaxing but I still use m/k on fps games.
Recently I'm getting again into pc, I need a pc in my house for some things even if smartphone+console was ok, but so, few month ago I cannot stand anymore and I bought a Pentium Alder Lake dual core g6900 for 50€ also bought a 200€ case but its another story xD For gaming still using my ps5 so I didn't need Windows anymore, Firstly I got Debian but lately I had a lot of problems and the lack of AUR wasn't good. So I got Arch Linux, imho the best distro also it got installed in 10minutes with archinstall I use openbox +tint2 its my way to go. When I was young I used to install linux on my pc, It was hard but my dreams back in the days was arch linux you didn't had "archinstall" in that and it was hard as hell it was 2008/2009 I still have pages of me writing down the all arch wiki on paper (i didn't had a good smartphone for sure) and openbox was the way to go. more lately more the years passed I got into halo2 and Ut back in the day with friends so I had to use Windows and didn't got back to use linux Anymore till this summer.
TLDR yes i use arch linux on my main pc because I don't game anymore on pc but use PS5

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I use Linux on the media pc in the living room. The main pc has two spectate drives, one Linux and one windows, because MS keeps royally screwing with UEFI boot partitions…

I swear if someone ever gets EAC working on proton without game dev input I’m ditching windows 11.
CLI is the better idea, for those cases when you absolutely cannot get the graphics subsystem up at all. From the CLI, you can load drivers and even start X, if needed. But I've never needed that, whenever I went into safe mode, all I needed was to trigger some package repair or reinstall something. A GUI wasn't really needed.

Yeah, it feels cluttery and annoying. Until you need that other kernel ;)
every time I hear this argument, I can feel the neckbeard hairs growing.

yes, the CLI is powerful. If that works for you, fantastic. But most people are not going to memorize CLI commands and package names for if their system goes horribly wrong, the whole point of windows safe mode is that a normal end user can fix it without needing to type war and peace into thei CLI to make it work.

It’s one of those things that sets windows and Mac OS X apart from Linux, and it flies right in the face of “well you don’t need to memorize CLI to use Linux” arguments.

They can use AOSP. They just can't use Google Services.

They can use it. They can't use any of the propietary bits that make it "google" though (The play store etc)
Oops.. I replied before reading this.. my bad..

I use Linux on the media pc in the living room.
Really? XBMC? Or something else?(No offense was intended here, only curious.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lei

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Just a small hint, but back when I was using it, Kubuntu was about the worst KDE distro. Neon (also Ubuntu based, albeit paired with up-to-date Qt and KDE is miles better).
I just needed something that works, it doesn't have to be the best. All my daughter really uses on it is a web browser. She probably could have gotten away with a chromebook, but I already had a decent low-power laptop laying around that she could use and it feels a bit more friendly than Gnome.

Reactions: bug
System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Really? XBMC? Or something else?

XBMC has been known as Kodi since 2014 when the name changed.

Kodi is the user-facing media box application. While it can run on Linux systems Kodi itself has nothing to do with Linux as it runs on a variety of platforms (Xbox, Windows PC, Macs, various iDevices, FreeBSD, etc.). Remember that the original XBMC project was for Xbox (custom Pentium III running custom Windows NT). Linux support came later.

The operating system that I am running Kodi on is LibreELEC which is a great OS choice if you don't want to run anything but Kodi and you want to keep Linux at an arm's distance and not have to look at it.

LibreELEC is technically Linux (as in it runs the Linux kernel) but it's not a full fledged distribution. It's really an embedded device operating system like the Linux that runs my DSL router and my Super NES Classic. Gas pump POS terminals, et cetera. There is very limited functionality in LibreELEC beyond its support for Kodi and associated add-ons. Even some very common terminal commands like 'history' are missing from LibreELEC.

The pollster didn't include a poll choice that accommodates these embedded device situations. In my house there's a Roku and unused Chromecast (2nd gen) which might have Linux kernels. Not sure what my MFP (HP DeskJet printer) runs. My LG TV uses webOS which is also technically Linux but I don't think of myself as "running Linux" when I turn it on.

Despite the fact that I use devices every day that have Linux kernels, I don't feel like I am "running Linux" because I don't have to interact with it as a desktop operating system, something I'd like to keep. I boot Raspbian twice a year to check for Raspberry Pi 4's firmware updates and that's more than enough contact with desktop Linux for me.

Last edited:
System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
So I see Kodi as Emby. Just saying. I switched to Emby from plex

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I still call it XBMC. Old habit.

That's fine but this is a Linux discussion and poll. There's no way for me or anyone else here to know whether or not you were aware the name changed eight years ago. And if some random reader decides to search for XBMC, they will soon learn that the name changed making your recommendation look possibly outdated.

Again, it's important to distinguish between the media center application and the operating system. XBMC/Kodi is not Linux.

It's just like Mozilla/Firefox isn't Linux either.

Last edited:
That's fine but this is a Linux discussion and poll. There's no way for me or anyone else here to know whether or not you were aware the name changed eight years ago. And if some random reader decides to search for XBMC, they will soon learn that the name changed making your recommendation look possibly outdated.

Again, it's important to distinguish between the media center application and the operating system. XBMC/Kodi is not Linux.

It's just like Mozilla/Firefox isn't Linux either.
Hmmm...
The creator of Linux disagrees with you. But whatever, carry on.

Case Apple proprietary
Well Linus isn't always right. The world isn't black and white and no one is right all of the time.

No matter what Mr. Torvalds says, XBMC/Kodi aren't Linux. And neither is Mozilla/Firefox.

Go look at the Kodi source code and see if you can find the Linux kernel code. Trust me, whoever is compiling Kodi for iOS isn't building a Linux kernel along with it. Hell, I doubt if Apple's App Store guardians would let a foreign OS kernel into the downloadable binary. It likely violates their App Store T&C.

We've already covered the origin of XBMC. Mozilla traces its lineage to NCSA Mosaic which first ran on proprietary Unixes back in the early Nineties. It too did not run on Linux at its start.

Again,

KODI ISN'T LINUX. IT'S A MEDIA PLAYER.

LibreELEC is Linux.

Sorry to disappoint you.

"Act accordingly."

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Case Apple proprietary
Kodi doesn't include a Linux kernel unless you download a Kodi-focused Linux build like LibreELEC or GeeXboX.

If you go to kodi.tv/download, those packages don't include the operating system.

Again, Kodi is not dependent on the Linux kernel nor does the Kodi source code include the Linux kernel. Remember that the Linux kernel by itself is not enough to provide full functionality for Kodi.

I think the main problem is that some people here don't understand fundamentally what an operating system actually is.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I swear if someone ever gets EAC working on proton without game dev input I’m ditching windows 11.

every time I hear this argument, I can feel the neckbeard hairs growing.

yes, the CLI is powerful. If that works for you, fantastic. But most people are not going to memorize CLI commands and package names for if their system goes horribly wrong, the whole point of windows safe mode is that a normal end user can fix it without needing to type war and peace into thei CLI to make it work.

It’s one of those things that sets windows and Mac OS X apart from Linux, and it flies right in the face of “well you don’t need to memorize CLI to use Linux” arguments.
Well, you're arguing fewer users are able to use the CLI, whereas my argument was that the CLI can actually get you out of situations where a GUI won't start.

And yes, I'm fully aware in the user friendliness department Linux is the last of the three major operating systems.

I’m actually gaming on Linux exclusively at the point. Steam plus disinterest in most modern era AAA games made it rather easy.

Reactions: bug
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Nope

I have tried and used Mint a long time ago probably 8+ years? With the way windows 11 is going, and more games getting Linux support and more legacy systems piling up, I have been thinking of putting Mint, or Ubuntu or Zorin OS lite on some of them though.

Anyone here try/use Zorin Pro OS??

Nope

I have tried and used Mint a long time ago probably 8+ years? With the way windows 11 is going, and more games getting Linux support and more legacy systems piling up, I have been thinking of putting Mint, or Ubuntu or Zorin OS lite on some of them though.

Anyone here try/use Zorin Pro OS??
I’m the opposite. WinOS at work but Linux at home for quite a number of years now. After lots of distro hopping (which I’d recommend as there’s a distro out there that will seem spot on to your taste), I’d recommend on one partition going with stock Ubuntu for Steam et al., as you can get whatever hand holding you’d ever want with it. That’s what I do for gaming, and then spend 99% of my non-gaming time in a different distro.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Hi,
He's a rebel :cool:
FreeBSD is actually less rebel and more like old school unix mainline hardcore compile your shit from source type stuff, but sure. I think a rebel would use something goofy like one of those oddball OS/2 distros that can boot on modern hardware. Why? Who knows. Because rebel.

FreeBSD is actually less rebel and more like old school unix mainline hardcore compile your shit from source type stuff, but sure. I think a rebel would use something goofy like one of those oddball OS/2 distros that can boot on modern hardware. Why? Who knows. Because rebel.
I've hardly ever compiled anything, except for 'automatic compilations' that happen when installing default packages.
I used to use Arch and therefore also the AUR and then I always lost a lot more time because of the AUR packages.

What I mean is that FreeBSD has more default packages than the popular Arch:

13597 matching packages found

Port count 57482

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I have been using it more now to run some scientific computing software on a lab computer, but I am not fluent in it yet.