• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to move from 128 GB microSD card to a 256 GB one

System Name Main PC/OldPC/3rd PC
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge/Core i3-4330 Haswell
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V/ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen1/ASUS H81M2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/Intel Box cooler/Intel Box cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance/32GB ADATA/16GB ADATA
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB/MSI RX 480 8GB/SAPPHIRE R9 390 8GB
Storage 2x1TB ADATA SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/2xCrucial 1TB SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/Samsung 1TB SSD+8TB+4TB HDDs
Display(s) Philips 274E5QHAB@HDMI + Philips 273EQH@DVI (both 27")
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium
Audio Device(s) Kenwood Mini HiFi system/Microlab speakers/Philips HDMI (main)+LG TV monitor HDMI + Apple headphones
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent ProM 600 W (modular)
Mouse Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)@Razer Goliath mousepad (Medium speed)
Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)
Software Win10 64-bit (Main PC v.1809 RTM Enterprise/2nd PC v.1903 Insider Preview Pro/3rd PC - same as 2nd)
Using a Xiaomi Mi A1 phone with Android OS 9.0 Pie, internal flash storage being only 64 GB.
To work around the limited storage, currently a 128 GB microSD card is formatted as Internal, i.e. it is sharing storage with the built-in flash memory, allowing lots & lots of extra apps/games to be installed, while leaving space for photos/videos too.
Still, despite having plenty of storage free, it is slowly running out due to adding more photos & videos, and sometimes - more Android games for my 6-year old. :)

Tried to do this via a USB 3.0 SD card reader on my Windows 10 PC, but it seems Android phone/tablet SD cards formatted as Internal are not formatted to any known Windows OS file system.
I am using a Kingston reader that allows for TWO SD cards to be inserted at once - has one full size SD card slot, plus a microSD slot too.

My Windows 10 PC shows the new 256 GB card fine (it is mostly empty), but prompts to reformat the other, Android phone card. (which I cancel, of course, as it would lose all data i.e. apps/games/etc)
So, the Android phone SD card format is not any of the common FAT32, NTFS, nor exFAT.
Seems to be a customized Linux/Unix file system format, because even on Ubuntu Linux only the new 256 GB card partition shows, the other card seems to have 2 partitions on it, but my Ubuntu Linux cannot show the files on it, and does not mount it as an accessible drive.

So, is this possible at all?
Maybe a raw image format creating from OLD card then restoring that image to NEW card could work?
I will still need to change the NEW card/partition size to use all the 256 GBs though, as if not, the extra space won't be usable.

If this is possible, which approach to best use? Use Windows 10 OS, or Ubuntu Linux/etc?
OR try to do it via phone, skipping any computers?
It seems I am able to connect to the Android phone without taking card out, via WiFi -- I am using Total Commander on the PC, and Software Data Cable app on the phone, but copying from phone to a local drive on the PC is quite slow, and I am not sure even if I copy it all to my PC, how/if I could then copy it back to the NEW 256 GB card?

I am also waiting for a Android OTG USB adapter to come, maybe that could be a viable way too?

Last edited:
System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional
I think the only safe option is to copy out as much stuff as possible from both the internal flash and 128gb micro sd via cable connected from the phone to a computer. Then with more space on the internal flash storage and less space used on the 128gb microsd, you can migrate back to using only the internal flash storage. Then insert the 256gb microsd, migrate all your stuff again and copy back whatever stuff you removed previously.

edit: clarified abit.

Last edited:
System Name Sierra ~ Server
Processor Core i5-11600K ~ Core i3-12100
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC ~ MSI PRO B760M-P
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition ~ Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 ~ 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD ~ 2TB Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD + 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz ~ N/A
Case Asus Prime AP201 - Open Frame Chassis
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W ~ Thermaltake Smart 500W
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ Proxmox VE
Benchmark Scores Laptops: Dell Latitude E7270, Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5420.
I think the only safe option is to copy out as much stuff as possible from both the internal flash and 128gb micro sd via cable connected to the phone. Then with more space on the internal flash storage and less space used on the 128gb microsd, you can migrate back to to using only the internal flash storage. Then insert the 256gb microsd, migrate all you stuff again and copy back whatever stuff you removed previously.
Yup unfortunately I believe this is your only option.

System Name Main PC/OldPC/3rd PC
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge/Core i3-4330 Haswell
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V/ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen1/ASUS H81M2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/Intel Box cooler/Intel Box cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance/32GB ADATA/16GB ADATA
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB/MSI RX 480 8GB/SAPPHIRE R9 390 8GB
Storage 2x1TB ADATA SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/2xCrucial 1TB SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/Samsung 1TB SSD+8TB+4TB HDDs
Display(s) Philips 274E5QHAB@HDMI + Philips 273EQH@DVI (both 27")
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium
Audio Device(s) Kenwood Mini HiFi system/Microlab speakers/Philips HDMI (main)+LG TV monitor HDMI + Apple headphones
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent ProM 600 W (modular)
Mouse Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)@Razer Goliath mousepad (Medium speed)
Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)
Software Win10 64-bit (Main PC v.1809 RTM Enterprise/2nd PC v.1903 Insider Preview Pro/3rd PC - same as 2nd)
Okay, thanks guys for the replies. :) I will see how this works out.

IF I try the change to Portable while free Internal storage space is still NOT quite sufficient, what will happen?
Will it fail gracefully, or will it make the phone and/or some apps not working?

Will it say "Not enough Internal space to switch SD card to Portable, please free more space and try again"?
Or will it attempt the change no matter how much GBs of storage are free?

(Remember, the phone is using Android OS 9.0 Pie, thankfully no MiUI with crap apps included by default by Xiaomi, as it is an Android One/Pure device.
Only the default Google apps are present.)

Also, most of my apps - except those that do not support it - are using External memory now.
(A little bunch are Internal, as they won't allow changing to External storage.)

If I format the SD card as Portable, what happens with those apps/games?
I know ideally no apps/games should be External before I attempt this, but doing that will take a really LOT of time.
I am moving some apps/games to Internal now, and deleting the largest unused ones.
(A few games that nobody plays took 1-2, even 5 GB of space each! OUCH.. :) )

RE pics & videos, thankfully almost none exist, as I offloaded them recently to my Windows 10 PC when I did the change from 128 GB SD card as Portable to same card as Internal storage. :)

Last edited: