• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cryptocoin Value and Market Trend Discussion

Eventually, there will be THE stablecoin, backed by nothing, with a forever fixed price. When such coin comes and when fiat gets replaced by cbdc, the fall of every asset that doesn't serve a purpose will be imminent and there will be no more competing cryptocurrency technologies and networks.

Low quality post by MentalAcetylide
pump and dump?
:oops: I must admit I'm guilty of this behavior myself. I pump myself up with food & then later hit the bathroom.
I still think crypto is a bad investment & only for whales with money to burn. Fun to play around with, but not something I would risk any significant amount of money on. Its hard to say where its going to go for certain. With the push towards globalism and consolidating markets, I think some form of it is going to end up becoming a single widely accepted currency.

Low quality post by R-T-B
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Low quality post by The red spirit
System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
I don't touch the stuff myself, but casually observe from afar out of interest. BTC was named Bitcoin, after all, and has broadly been referred to as a cryptocurrency its entire existence. So it was presumably designed with the intent to function as such, and currently does to a limited extent. A stable valuation would (again, presumably) help that function.

If a given crypto[currency/coin/token] doesn't stabilize and become transactable or useful in some other fashion, then it's just a plaything in this bizarre trading game we're currently watching.
But is it really that bizarre? People pay top dollar for some Pokemon cards and other "valueless" stuff.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
But is it really that bizarre? People pay top dollar for some Pokemon cards and other "valueless" stuff.
MtGox stood for "Magic The Gathering Online eXchange"

Because they literally started out trading physical cards. So yeah.

Low quality post by Bomby569
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
MtGox stood for "Magic The Gathering Online eXchange"

Because they literally started out trading physical cards. So yeah.

and nintendo started selling physical cards, what's your point

Low quality post by The red spirit
System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Not always, and that's not cash.

Let's get back on topic folks..
If you use MasterCard or Visa card, you pay a fee, it's just already included in product price. And it's not negotiable, you always pay. That's how those companies make money. It's little known fact, but fact nonetheless. Not to mention that banks themselves have various small fees everywhere and for almost anything, but that's besides the point I was trying to make.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
and nintendo started selling physical cards, what's your point
I guees just that apparently valueless cards can have value and the tie in with crypto there is stronger than many realize.

But honestly there wasn't really a point. Just fun trivia supporting the prior statement.

I did admitedly forget this is the value thread again, though...

Eventually, there will be THE stablecoin, backed by nothing, with a forever fixed price. When such coin comes and when fiat gets replaced by cbdc, the fall of every asset that doesn't serve a purpose will be imminent and there will be no more competing cryptocurrency technologies and networks.

Yes. Its called a bank account. In fact, you can have many "stablecoins" today. Such as savings accounts, checking accounts, high yield savings accounts, money market accounts, and money market funds.

Oh, but the "stablecoin" of the cryptocoin world is high risk, as per economic theory. You cannot peg a currency with more yield than the risk-free rate... unless you take on risk. Even money market funds have more risk than savings accounts (and you get paid a higher rate on MMFs like VMFXX).

But yeah. Lets say I wanted something "pegged" to a dollar. I'll use VMFXX and SWVXX (these can only be bought/sold at 4pm during market hours however). If I needed something that was "faster", maybe I'd use a checking account instead.

----

Stablecoins are absolutely possible. But they're somewhat uninteresting, because all they've done is recreate risky bank accounts of the days of yore. To guarantee that these bank-accounts remain stable, you need strict government regulation ensuring that their assets are truly backed by something behind the scenes. Otherwise, the banks will lie to their customers.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Yes. Its called a bank account. In fact, you can have many "stablecoins" today. Such as savings accounts, checking accounts, high yield savings accounts, money market accounts, and money market funds.

Oh, but the "stablecoin" of the cryptocoin world is high risk, as per economic theory. You cannot peg a currency with more yield than the risk-free rate... unless you take on risk. Even money market funds have more risk than savings accounts (and you get paid a higher rate on MMFs like VMFXX).

But yeah. Lets say I wanted something "pegged" to a dollar. I'll use VMFXX and SWVXX (these can only be bought/sold at 4pm during market hours however). If I needed something that was "faster", maybe I'd use a checking account instead.

----

Stablecoins are absolutely possible. But they're somewhat uninteresting, because all they've done is recreate risky bank accounts of the days of yore. To guarantee that these bank-accounts remain stable, you need strict government regulation ensuring that their assets are truly backed by something behind the scenes. Otherwise, the banks will lie to their customers.

It's not at all reasonable to compare crypto to bank accounts, i don't even understand how people can make statements like these. Bank accounts are nothing, the value is the currency they held.

There can be a stablecoin, if there is trust in the system. The problem is all the shitcoins, the thefts, the scams. Bitcoin if it was the only crypto i bet could be a stable asset.

Pegging is stupid, crypto was created exactly to avoid the fiat problems.

It's not at all reasonable to compare crypto to bank accounts, i don't even understand how people can make statements like these. Bank accounts are nothing, the value is the currency they held.

There can be a stablecoin, if there is trust in the system. The problem is all the shitcoins, the thefts, the scams. Bitcoin if it was the only crypto i bet could be a stable asset.

Pegging is stupid, crypto was created exactly to avoid the fiat problems.

The USDC stablecoin "promises" that 1000 USDC == $1000 USD.

A savings account "promises" that 1000 in the bank account == $1000 USD. In fact, this trust is so strong, saying "I have $1000" implies that its in a savings account, because no one even bothers with physical cash anymore. The USD is already digitalized in practice.

The value of a bank account is the trust in our banks. When a bank says it has $1000 USD, no one denies that trust. If Celsius says it has 1000 USDC, do you trust it?

if there is trust in the system

There in lies the rub. How do you build trust?

Banks have built their trust over the past 100 years. Since the Great Depression, no one has lost money in their savings account. There are very few people left alive who even remember when banks lost our money. Even MMFs (the riskiest of the accounts I talked about earlier), have an incredible streak of reliability, only ~2 times they ever lost the peg in the last 100 years. A "stablecoin" loses its peg like every month or two, so its not like we can trust those pegs.

Meanwhile, all the hacks and rugpulls show that Cryptocoins are fully untrustworthy. Earning trust is the one and only legitimate thing about being a bank, and all these crypto-financial services are failing at it.

There's a reason why the historians are saying that "Cryptocoin community is speedrunning financial theory". Its because they keep making the same mistakes made 100 to 200 years ago, repeating all the mistakes of the financial systems of the past one by one. Its not "how" you hold money that's important, its the TRUST that's important. But no one is working on the trust part yet. So... I guess we'll just wait around and see how long it takes for the community to figure that out.

The Stablecoin dudes are at least on the right track. They leverage pre-existing trust with pre-existing institutions (IE: USD) to build a veneer of trust. But its not enough, because that veneer is broken during bankruptcies and other issues (see Celsius).

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
The USDC stablecoin "promises" that 1000 USDC == $1000 USD.

i think there's a miscommunication, i think there can be a stablecoin but not pegged to a fiat currency, because it's exactly to avoid it that crypto was created, it makes no sense, it's like having green energy produced with coal.

i think there's a miscommunication, i think there can be a stablecoin but not pegged to a fiat currency, because it's exactly to avoid it that crypto was created, it makes no sense, it's like having green energy produced with coal.

No one is buying cryptocoins for a stable value. That's my point. People have savings accounts for that. Or money-market accounts, or money-market funds if you wanna get a bit fancier / riskier than that. Or bonds if you want to get even riskier.

Yes, the cryptocoin community has rediscovered the thousand-year-old idea of asset securitization through some form of contract. The question is what they do with it, and whether it makes something useful. It doesn't actually matter what's on the contract per se. It can be a futures contract, a bond payment (either 1 year duration or even infinite duration), it could be a stock / equity, promise of future profits, corporate structures, preferred security (debt that slowly turns into equity), call options, CDOs, CDS that protects CDOs of CDOs or whatever. Then you can cut these instruments up, pass them around and make money with them.

You can even back it with a billion computers running a "mining" program. But the fundamentals kinda-sorta don't matter. Its about trust.

-------

The cryptocoin community is buying cryptocoins right now because they hope to "ride the next bull wave" in 5 years or whatever. As long as the community _wants_ volatility, they will get volatility.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
No one is buying cryptocoins for a stable value. That's my point.

Every asset has speculation, even wheat.
Anyway sure until there is trust it's mostly speculation, but is not the end goal or shouldn't be, wasn't suppose to be

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
bad things seem to be happening in the crypto world.. how bad is yet to be seen..

trog

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
bad things seem to be happening in the crypto world.. how bad is yet to be seen..

trog

Something exploded, making a big mess. The least impacted crypto here is -4.75%. Maybe the start of a black swan event.

1667885552166.png

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots

Well, the image I posted earlier would say it is. 4-9% losses on 95%+ crypto is what that showed.

And now it does start to look like a black swan event. The vast majority of these are >= 10% loss (far right column is % down) :

1667933622219.png

Except that's what seems to be happening.

I thought the FTX issue was fixed now that Binance is buying them out?

Well, consider myself fully confused on today's price actions. If anyone has a better theory for what the hell is going on, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Wait, FTX Token is still dropping? Is FTX Token about to drag down Binance?

I think something interesting is going on.

Old news, by like... a few hours.

Current news is:

Hard to keep up. A lot of hour-by-hour news events going on right now.