• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metal computer desk keyboard tray broke/is stuck shut

DBDigital

Hi all,
I have a older Dainolite model DCT-214-SV-SV computer desk/workstation/server (here is an image https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dainolite-Lighting-Silver-Powder-Coated-Computer-Desk/4695359). It has wheels and a compact footprint which is what I need for my currently limited space. I have looked around and haven't found anything else that fits my needs. (metal, the size, powder coated, etc). It is wonderful except for this keyboard tray problem.

What happened is at one point the keyboard slider stuck shut. The rails seemed to "drift" after a period of time. Meaning that it would still stick out further than it used to when in the fully closed position. What I did was push it a little more and it would realign it. Well one day I was doing this and I heard a click/thunk and now it won't open or budge (it is stuck at about 2 inches from full closure). Something locked inside the rails and so far I haven't been able to find out exactly what happened. Due to how it is made, I can't remove the rails from the legs of the desk. I can remove the tray, but if I do that one nut will fall off and stay inside the rail as I can't get to it. But even then, I can't see inside the rail to see what jammed/locked.

The rails/tray do have a lock in the fully extended position and you pushed on little metal fingers to release that. Perhaps they got stuck on something (only one side though not both), but again I can't see what.

I feel there must be a way to fix this. Anyone else run into this kind of a problem? I see these kinds of trays and rails all over so someone must have seen it before. The desk is really solid/heavy and well built, I just hope I can fix this somehow.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Hmm did you buy it assembled?

Can you take the hutch part off so you can flip the rest upside down on to the desk surface? Then you might be able to see what you are doing a little easier.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
They look like typical bearing sliders on the KB tray. Measure the length and hit up a hardware store for replacements. a few screws and you should be good to go.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
They look like typical bearing sliders on the KB tray. Measure the length and hit up a hardware store for replacements. a few screws and you should be good to go.
I agree but I think his problem is getting the old sliders off.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yeah screws tend to loosen up after a while of use so just use a flat bar lightly and pull as you've always done.
If it pops loose just tighten screws once all the way out.

DBDigital

Nope, I didn't buy it assembled. Which is how I know I can't replace the sliders. They are either welded or something else to the frame. At least I don't see any signs of screws or anything else to attach them to the two legs on either side. I can remove the top part no problem and flip it. But hasn't helped me figure out what went wrong. The whole thing is held together with screws EXCEPT for these sliders. :( It is the one part I can't seem to take apart and fix.

I agree but I think his problem is getting the old sliders off.
I agree they look like a lot of sliders (and are ball bearing type), if I could find a way to get off the old, I would do that. And yes that is my main problem. And if I could get them apart I bet I could fix it. The rails look like they are in good shape, like new even.
Hi,
Yeah screws tend to loosen up after a while of use so just use a flat bar lightly and pull as you've always done.
If it pops loose just tighten screws once all the way out.
As for the screws loosening up, I don't think it is that it. Unless there are screws inside somehow but if there are, again even with the tray removed, I don't see how to get to them. The ones attaching the tray itself to the rails are tight. And the rails aren't loose on the legs either.

I did try to stick a old-fashioned straightened wire coat hanger in there and feel around see if I could find something that got hung up. Didn't feel anything. A bar might be a better idea, if I could find one the right size. It seems funny there isn't a way to take these sliders apart.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Remove everything from the desk, then topple it over. Then again, in different positions. Try moving the tray. Maybe gravity can help you by moving some loose part out of the wrong place. Easier said than done, sure, but that's probably what I would do next in this situation.

DBDigital

So far no go. I will try moving it around again on different sides. Whatever it was is tight. It wasn't a loose part that jammed something up. Felt and heard a THUNK when it happened. I always thought it should pop right back if I pulled and wiggled, but it is locked/jammed but good.