• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Now Available, Starting $1200

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
The SAM debarkle - making an unused part of an existing spec seem like their invention and originally gatekeeping support.
Ryzen 5000 on pre 5 series chipsets debarkle and caving
The 6500XT. What an insult.
Zen 3 and 4 pricing for 6 core models
7900XT pricing to upsell the 7900XTX

And that's all since Lisa Su took the reigns.

Look I won't get drawn into an argument with you about it, because I'm sure from your perspective nvidia is heaps worse right? There must be great reasons AMD did those things, and more, and people have an intense desire to defend then. I'm coming from the perspective that they all do shitty, greedy things, pretty much solely in the desire of increased revenue and profits.

So I stand by my general approach, weight each products unique proposition against your needs, and buy accordingly. If I was to draw a moral line on who to buy a GPU from, I wouldn't but it from any of them.

This one just seems especially daft, I'm sorry. They had to single handedly create this new wave of Upscaling and generate massive appetite for it both in competitors and consumers, before some people like to accuse them of holding the industry back, I reject that entirely.

Plus look at hubs coverage of xess, its plainly obvious why it only works on RTX cards, nobody would benefit, not nvidia, not the customers.

So they introduced Resizable Bar...a function that was always there, to the forfront....and that is a problem?
"making it seem like their invention"...yeah I dont get the issue there either, so what? 3 seconds later others can say its just resizable bar and again, COMPETITION CAN and did follow suit, its not like AMD blocked it from being used by anyone else.
"originall gatekeeping support", what exactly do you mean by that?

"Ryzen 5000 on pre 5 series chipsets debarkle and caving" You do understand why this was not originally a thing right? the fact that motherboards were never made with this much cpu support in mind? literally not having enough memory to store profiles for all different processors so you have to do some odd stuff to get that to work which can easily leave users with an unusable board unless they buy/borrow a compatible cpu real quick to fix it?
And yeah, consumers complaining and a company as a reaction complying with their wishes....what a horrible thing to do...thank god most companies just give consumers the middle finger....

6500XT is an insult but then the entire cryptocurrency/Covid19 period was a big insult, it shouldnt have been released, that is indeed a strike against them.

Zen 3 pricing being an issue is just nonsense, AMD sold their stuff super cheap in order to get some mindshare back from YEARS of Intel domination, when they finally convinced enough people (including the very companies they need to work with for example with motherboards) that they are worth a damn again, they are still not allowed to ask a bit more? they have to stay in this super low bracket even though their products beat the competition? come on now.
Zen 4 pricing, yes, that is too high, Intel is winning there and AMD should have answered with a slight price drop, heck I dont even get that AMD did not start with some 3DX models to keep/take the performance crown, just odd all around.

literally mentioned the 7900xt vs 7900xtx thing in the post you are replying to.

"from your perspective nvidia is heaps worse right?" yes and I backed that up with arguments.

On DLSS, they HAD to because they are heavily banking on selling the world the RTX brand and tech, and I dont mind that at all, what I mind is them then locking it exclusively for their hardware and shoveling buckets of cash to developers to PLS PLS PLS implement it, which they have to do because that is a lot of effort a developer has to go through purely to appease the Nvidia buyers, it wont help for the AMD buyers (ok thats barely 15% of the market if we look at steam) nor the console crowd (that is a much bigger market).
If they just made it open and asked simply to have mentioned in the settings DLSS by Nvidia, advertisment for them, gamers know where its from, heck it would even be optimised for their hardware and the competition just has to work to see if they can make it run decently on their hardware (same as XESS), then all would be fine, but nope, typical Nvidia, proprietory nonsense that cant last.
Gsync is dead because Freesync/Adaptivesync/VRR is here, PhysX is dead because we moved on to generic solutions that work for all, we cant have games in the future that have an entire page of the exact same tech just for every vendors version of it....that would just be stupid and man, think of the waste of human effort and energy for AMD and Intel to now have to make their own versions of something that already exists.......
So yeah, I dont think im daft, I think Nvidia is the one being daft and like I said, anti consumer and anti progress.
Hell if they just shared the tech, who knows what extra improvements maybe AMD and Intel could have brought to the table.

"Plus look at hubs coverage of xess, its plainly obvious why it only works on RTX cards, nobody would benefit, not nvidia, not the customers."

that last sentense I dont get, intel's xess only works on RTX cards? and nobody would benefit if that was not the case?

And yes mods, we are getting off topic, ill leave it for DM's after this.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440
The SAM debarkle - making an unused part of an existing spec seem like their invention and originally gatekeeping support.
Ryzen 5000 on pre 5 series chipsets debarkle and caving
The 6500XT. What an insult.
Zen 3 and 4 pricing for 6 core models
7900XT pricing to upsell the 7900XTX
Half of this seems to be pure "I don't like the pricing", which all the vendors have had their "issues" with.

It's not like they have made a partnership program with AiB's that exclude their competitor.... (https://www.techpowerup.com/243921/nvidia-ends-controversial-geforce-partner-program-gpp)
or paid OEM not to use the competitor(https://fortune.com/2007/02/15/suit-intel-paid-dell-up-to-1-billion-a-year-not-to-use-amd-chips/)

The exact same upsell argument I've seen loads more on next gen AMD's (XT/XTX) and Nvidia (4080/90)

Pricing in general, from tech sites and MSRP. I really can't care about.
MSRP can be somewhat sometimes almost usable for a price indicator, but 3000-series release+crypto show have shown that doesn't necessarily matter (inb4 AMD fanboy)

prices in general doesn't match, and I need to check local anyways. It's all make believe in regard to MSRP (+tax) anyways

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
lol.

Nvidia site stock appeared in UK at 14:00. I watched. Never pressed 'buy' because I'm not interested in buying at that price. Out of stock within 20 seconds. Cue eBay sales.

Glad I got my 3080ti for way under MSRP, when new cards were selling at their lowest (which is NOT now, sadly).

The only reason I'd upgrade is to get full resolution (instead of 50% resolution scale) playing Assetto Corsa with rain and weather effects in VR on my Reverb G2 V2 at a constant 90fps.

Currently I'm hooked on Red Dead Redemption 2, which will take a while and even runs fine at 4k (gotta love VRR/Gsync compatibility on some TVs) with DLSS on my 3070ti.

NVIDIA is nuts selling the 4080 at this price.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Nvidia is trying to get suckers to buy this before ATI can get theirs to market and I hope they do sell a lot.

System Name Custom
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X 3D
Motherboard Asus Prime
Cooling Li Lian All in One RGB
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
Display(s) Samsung 8K 85inch
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Samsung Dolby Atmos 7.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W Power Supply
I hope you scrolled purely indeed for that availability info, I cant imagine anyone willing to risk their hard earned cash with Newegg again.....good luck never getting your multiple hundred dollar product and not being able to do anything about it.....
I actually brought my 4090 from Newegg at launch and sold my 3080 10gb on ebay for $700 after the 4090 arrived. So the net cost of the 4090 was $1000, cheaper than the $4080.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Well, 6 plus hours after they went live, Scan (UK) has plenty in stock. This hints at a far lower level of bot-scalping. Perhaps other sites had minimal inventory? Regardless, I sit with my wallet (as such) closed and await the 7900 XT(X).

Or the possible inevitability that Nvidia will have to drop prices if the AMD cards are competitve and several hundred pounds cheaper.

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270bmiix & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Unless you play at 4k, I see no reason to even consider such a purchase price. All I see are cartoon online games coming out.
You would still lose frames from poor server support and dropouts on most always-online games. The guys that stream GTA 5
as "racing games" have all kinds of lag spikes and dropped frames with 30 players in a race.
You don't look very hard then do you.

I feel sad mostly for the work put in to reviewing in detail all those untouchable products.
Maybe there are more ppl like me who stuck to their 1080TI for so long just to be excited as seeing a rock when looking at those disgusting products.
You buy, you feed the massive greed of those despicable individuals.

ARF

I feel sad mostly for the work put in to reviewing in detail all those untouchable products.
Maybe there are more ppl like me who stuck to their 1080TI for so long just to be excited as seeing a rock when looking at those disgusting products.
You buy, you feed the massive greed of those despicable individuals.

Maybe if you a bit more patient, push the purchase back some months and see the Navi 32 or Navi 33 offerings like Radeon RX 7700 XT / Radeon RX 7800 XT / Radeon RX 7600 XT something.
I see that currently even the Radeon RX 670(5)0 is a 30% performance upgrade for you.

1668633605715.png

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Plus look at hubs coverage of xess, its plainly obvious why it only works on RTX cards, nobody would benefit, not nvidia, not the customers."

that last sentense I dont get, intel's xess only works on RTX cards? and nobody would benefit if that was not the case?
No, it's that xess on cards that don't have arc architecture and xmx instructions, is terrible. It performs badly and has visual shortcomings. Compared to the xmx instruction version, the dp4a version perofms and looks so much worse that it's not worth using on dp4a (anything other than Intelc ards) for people and that hurts the xess name, because the good version and bad version are called the same thing. For non arc owners, using it makes virtually no sense, and it would be the same situation for dlss. Makes perfect sense why they didn't open up their market leading solution, as is business.
originall gatekeeping support", what exactly do you mean by that?
They they tried to gatekeep it working on only their CPU's, or at the very least mislead people into believeing that.
And yes mods, we are getting off topic, ill leave it for DM's after this.
I'm done, I made my point, you think Nvidia is worse, I think AMD does shit things too, I'm equally as disgusted, and would easily take advantage even more if they had the outright lead, my bar for corporate bullshit is low, and all 3 players have somersaulted right over it, so I don't really care all that much, I just look at the products and don't self impose a restriction on who I'll buy from, or I'd buy from none. I certainly won't just not criticise AMD when they do shit things either, or NVidia (fuck the 4080 price!), or Intel.

Happy to agree to disagree.
Half of this seems to be pure "I don't like the pricing
And the other half? None of y'all have to agree, but I have certainly seen the BS they're capable of too, and that's when they're not in the lead.., so I suppose living in NVidia's shadow has its benefits, nothing they do looks as bad and can be excused it would seem.

Everything they do is geared to maximise profits, even the things that appear to be brimming with good will, its all in hopes they get more of your money. So again, I look only at individual products and base my assessment of the performance, price, features merits etc and don't really consider the rest.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Day isn't over yet, but according to my local MicroCenter's site, they still have 4080 stock.
Capture.PNG

I wonder how accurate their site is and how many of these actual cards they have of each model.

Hopefully they don't sell out and cards sit to collect dust....eh, but who am I kidding? Lots of stupid people out there, they'll all sell by tomorrow.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Update at my local Micro Center. They still have 55 4080s in stock. Either they got a crap ton of them and sold a bunch and are left with a small amount or people haven't shown as much interest in this card. I'd like to think that my local Micro Center only sold about half of what they got in and hopefully the rest just sit and fester.

Capture.PNG

**UPDATE**
Looks like people must have been returning their 4080s because 4 hours after Micro Center has opened their doors today, they now have more in stock. HAHAHA!
(okay, okay....logic dictates that Micro Center probably got another shipment in of more cards)
Capturenew.PNG

Last edited:
Nobody said about 12VHPWR cable stability.... No claims, same RTX 4090 (30 registered melted cable at the moment)?

Maybe if you a bit more patient, push the purchase back some months and see the Navi 32 or Navi 33 offerings like Radeon RX 7700 XT / Radeon RX 7800 XT / Radeon RX 7600 XT something.
I see that currently even the Radeon RX 670(5)0 is a 30% performance upgrade for you.

View attachment 270243
Thank you for the advice!
I waited for this amount of time because I wanted a replacement that will push at least 60FPS at 4K.
Meanwhile the PS5 was a solid companion in my demon carving training.