• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce (non OC version) is it possible to increase a little bit performance?

rom64k

Hello.

I have a Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24Gb and I am very happy with it. I have it undervolted with Afterburner and it consumes and heats up very little.

Since I don't know how to Overclock, I have a couple of questions.

Is there any way to increase the fps of this card with Afterburner? Or is it already so limited from the factory that it is impossible.

Could I change the bios of this card for another one that gives it a little more performance?

I don't expect to get much more out of it, it's just to learn how to do it.

Thank you very much in advance.

System Name 4K 144hz gaming PC :)
Processor Ryzen 9 7950X
Motherboard ASrock X670E Steel Legend
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 6400 CL38 @ 6200 CL32
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom @ GS
Storage WB Black 1TB Pcie4
Display(s) iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win 11 PRO
Benchmark Scores Time Spy: 34857 Time Spy Extreme: 19629 Port Royal: 28542 Speed Way: 11257 (Hall of Fame)
You could try to either lock the core clock to 3000mhz at 1050mv and overclock the memory +1300 to +1500 (can also try +1800), or just set the core offset to +260-290, depends on where it crashes. But it will result on a couple of FPS, depending on what you play, more increase will be in benchmark scores.

If you have the 3x8 cable version that goes up to 450W and can't increase power limit, you could try to flash the OC version bios and get tge 4x8pin cable to make it the OC version. But again, that would be maybe 3% for 150W more.

Overclocking for these cards doesn't make much sense as they boost to what they can already as stock. It's better to undervolt as much as you can and retain stock performance, like 2745mhz@ 950mv. Maybe a little +500 memory and you can have 80W less, probably 5°C less core and maybe 0.5% performance gain, which at let's say Portal RTX is nothing.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Since you've already undervolted I really wouldn't worry about the extra 4% you might get after tweaking for a few hours.

rom64k

You could try to either lock the core clock to 3000mhz at 1050mv and overclock the memory +1300 to +1500 (can also try +1800), or just set the core offset to +260-290, depends on where it crashes. But it will result on a couple of FPS, depending on what you play, more increase will be in benchmark scores.

If you have the 3x8 cable version that goes up to 450W and can't increase power limit, you could try to flash the OC version bios and get tge 4x8pin cable to make it the OC version. But again, that would be maybe 3% for 150W more.

Overclocking for these cards doesn't make much sense as they boost to what they can already as stock. It's better to undervolt as much as you can and retain stock performance, like 2745mhz@ 950mv. Maybe a little +500 memory and you can have 80W less, probably 5°C less core and maybe 0.5% performance gain, which at let's say Portal RTX is nothing.

I know that the increase in performance is very small compared to the increase in power. That's why I have done undervolting (where the consumption drops a lot and the temperature too) and it goes very smoothly without noticing the difference.

I ask this just to learn.

From what you tell me I could flash the OC version. I bought a 3x8 cable from Cablemod that they say is good for 600w and that for it to work, the 3 terminals have to be plugged to the source.

I will see how to make a backup of the current bios and then try to flash the OC version and play with the values you indicate.

Thank you very much.

Since you've already undervolted I really wouldn't worry about the extra 4% you might get after tweaking for a few hours.

Yes, what happens is that I never overclocked and I'm afraid of breaking something.

This is just the opposite of undervolting, the most that can happen is that it does not work, but nothing breaks.

Thanks.

System Name 4K 144hz gaming PC :)
Processor Ryzen 9 7950X
Motherboard ASrock X670E Steel Legend
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 6400 CL38 @ 6200 CL32
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom @ GS
Storage WB Black 1TB Pcie4
Display(s) iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win 11 PRO
Benchmark Scores Time Spy: 34857 Time Spy Extreme: 19629 Port Royal: 28542 Speed Way: 11257 (Hall of Fame)
I know that the increase in performance is very small compared to the increase in power. That's why I have done undervolting (where the consumption drops a lot and the temperature too) and it goes very smoothly without noticing the difference.

From what you tell me I could flash the OC version. I bought a 3x8 cable from Cablemod that they say is good for 600w and that for it to work, the 3 terminals have to be plugged to the source.

I will see how to make a backup of the current bios and then try to flash the OC version and play with the values you indicate.

Thank you very much.

I see, if that CableMod cable can pull 600W, then you just need to get the OC Bios, maybe it's in the database or if not, someone on overclock.net should have it. NVflash can make a backup of your current BIOS.

Then it will be trial and error, maybe you should try my values first as that is what a non OC card should be able to do, and an OC card can probably do 3050-3100mhz at 1.1v, maybe more on water cooling.
Or just set power slider limit to max over 100% that you can and then core clock offset to probably +300, you can try 3Dmark port royal and see where it fails, it's lower then the other benchmarks usually by around +30mhz.

You probably won't break anything by overclocking, just be careful when flashing the BIOS.

Last edited:
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15

Thank you very much.

Yes, what happens is that I never overclocked and I'm afraid of breaking something.

This is just the opposite of undervolting, the most that can happen is that it does not work, but nothing breaks.

Thanks.

Well... if you try flashing other bioses, stuff can definitely brick/break.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Hello.

I have a Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24Gb and I am very happy with it. I have it undervolted with Afterburner and it consumes and heats up very little.

Since I don't know how to Overclock, I have a couple of questions.

Is there any way to increase the fps of this card with Afterburner? Or is it already so limited from the factory that it is impossible.

Could I change the bios of this card for another one that gives it a little more performance?

I don't expect to get much more out of it, it's just to learn how to do it.

Thank you very much in advance.

What wattage PSU are you running? A 4090 typically requires a minimum of 900W, but most recommend at least 1000W to allow for overhead. Many are putting 1200w units in if they OC them. I would also not even attempt any OC unless you have a PSU with the 16 pin connector made for the 4090s. The poorly made adapters Nvidia has supplied have been known to catch fire.

The Gen 5 ready ATX 3 PSU issue is worth noting, because Nvidia rushed these behemoth GPUs to market before PSU manufacturers could even supply proper units to power them with the reliable 600w connectors that they need. I still see only 3 MSI models, only two of which have adequate power for a 4090, and they're all typically out of stock. Supposedly ASUS has some Tuf models coming, but none of their staff know when, and Seasonic's Vertex units designed for such use have been pushed back a month to January.

Last edited:

rom64k

What wattage PSU are you running? A 4090 typically requires a minimum of 900W, but most recommend at least 1000W to allow for overhead. Many are putting 1200w units in if they OC them. I would also not even attempt any OC unless you have a PSU with the 16 pin connector made for the 4090s. The poorly made adapters Nvidia has supplied have been known to catch fire.

The Gen 5 ready ATX 3 PSU issue is worth noting, because Nvidia rushed these behemoth GPUs to market before PSU manufacturers could even supply proper units to power them with the reliable 600w connectors that they need. I still see only 3 MSI models, only two of which have adequate power for a 4090, and they're all typically out of stock. Supposedly ASUS has some Tuf models coming, but none of their staff know when, and Seasonic's Vertex units designed for such use have been pushed back a month to January.

Hi.

My PSU is a Corsair RM850x 850w, but right now there is plenty of power everywhere.

The card never goes over 450w (normal is around 350w with undervolt) and the CPU, a 5800x3d does not consume more than 80w. There is no HDD consuming, only NVMe.

Right now (and for this consumption) I have the card connected to the nvidia 4-wire adapter that came with the card but actually each pair of wires is joined in a single plug to the PSU (I had no other way to connect it with the cables I have). Bottom line. The PSU only has two 8-pin sockets plugged into the card.

I am now waiting for a cable from Cablemod, specific for this card and PSU that has three 8 pin plugs going to the PSU and according to Cablemod is perfectly capable of delivering 600w.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Hi.

My PSU is a Corsair RM850x 850w, but right now there is plenty of power everywhere.

The card never goes over 450w (normal is around 350w with undervolt) and the CPU, a 5800x3d does not consume more than 80w. There is no HDD consuming, only NVMe.

Right now (and for this consumption) I have the card connected to the nvidia 4-wire adapter that came with the card but actually each pair of wires is joined in a single plug to the PSU (I had no other way to connect it with the cables I have). Bottom line. The PSU only has two 8-pin sockets plugged into the card.

I am now waiting for a cable from Cablemod, specific for this card and PSU that has three 8 pin plugs going to the PSU and according to Cablemod is perfectly capable of delivering 600w.

Well, like I said, that is a risky scenario, especially if you want to OC using a bare minimum required wattage PSU with Nvidia's cheesy adapter. Quite frankly I did a lot of worrying and checking to see if the 1000W made for Gen 5/ATX 3 PSU I want to use would be enough for the ASUS TUF RTX 4090 I plan to buy. It never hurts to have at least 100W overhead, regardless what your wattage usage readings are. In fact it's pretty much the norm for avid gamers. There's a reason wattage requirement recommendations for GPUs are stated conservatively, and I really don't think the 850W many are stating for the 4090 is conservative enough. I'm also not sure any wattage usage you're seeing is even accurate when not using the proper 600W capable connector, as the adapter could be bottlenecking it, but let us know if that changes when you get the new 16 pin one. ;)

Last edited:

rom64k

Well, like I said, that is a risky scenario, especially if you want to OC using a bare minimum required wattage PSU with Nvidia's cheesy adapter. Quite frankly I did a lot of worrying and checking to see if the 1000W made for Gen 5/ATX 3 PSU I want to use would be enough for the ASUS TUF RTX 4090 I plan to buy. It never hurts to have at least 100W overhead, regardless what your wattage usage readings are. In fact it's pretty much the norm for avid gamers. There's a reason wattage requirement recommendations for GPUs are stated conservatively, and I really don't think the 850W many are stating for the 4090 is conservative enough. I'm also not sure any wattage usage you're seeing is even accurate when not using the proper 600W capable connector, as the adapter could be bottlenecking it, but let us know if that changes when you get the new 16 pin one. ;)

Thank you very much.

Anyway, yhe only thing I want is to learn. Maybe I'll do some simple tests out of pure curiosity and learn how to do it.

But the goal is to stay as I am with my undervolt done. The temperatures here in the long summer are very high and the price of energy is skyrocketing as well. Two very good reasons to do undervolt.

I wanted to squeeze my card a little bit to see if it is possible to get it to behave in a similar way as the OC model does. But once I satisfied my curiosity, I'd go back to leaving everything cool as it is now.

Regards

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
So if you undervolt your frame pacing will go to crap.

Try it out - leave the card at stock with a power limit, and then apply your undervolt -- you will feel the stutteriness and 60fps will feel like 40.

You don't want to undervolt 4090s since it affects the video clocks (a different clock domain) -- just OC w/ +200mhz and add a power cap at 80%, then OC memory, it will feel much better and run much faster. I've tried this out first hand, touching the voltage curve at all sends it into weirdo mode.

Edit - Im running mine fine on a 750W plat PSU - at 80% it caps at 360W and I get higher than stock scores in benches and games. game clock is usually around 2950 mhz and I have a +1200 memory OC in afterburner probably about 5% perf above stock on average at less power. Not undervolting using a curve and instead using a power feels much smoother (it's night and day in some games) than sitting at the same clocks @.975v for instance.

Last edited: