• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon extremely low market share, only 8% in Q3 2022?

What do you want from AMD to improve, so that makes you buy a Radeon?

• Add maximum mining performance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
that makes no sense, on one side console users don't care about the components, like i said they would buy consoles with a coca cola APU, and sony and microsoft would never go for it, they are paying for a component not marketing a company, maybe if AMD made a big discount
We dont know but fact is thats where they could win mindshare. Other facts are mentioned above. The Radeon wishlists are as old as I am, and never materialized.

System Name The Phantom in the Black Tower
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 AM4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism, 5 x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm
Memory 64GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3600 CL18 (4×16GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB
Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Display(s) Haier 55E5500U 55" 2160p60Hz
Case Ultra U12-40670 Super Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova 1kW 80+Gold-Certified
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
No nVidia's prices are ridiculous as well but as a leader they define them.
Only if people are such sheep that they're willing to pay that. I was a sheep myself and paid way more for my card than I should have. In my defence, I've learnt my lesson and will never do it again. The customers define the prices based on what they're willing to pay. People are fed up and so only the cards that give "not horrible" performance for the money are getting sold (RTX 4090, RX 7900 XTX). Cards like the RTX 4080, RX 7900 XT and even the RTX 4080 12GB4070 Ti are already gathering dust.
AMD responds to them, shouldn't follow them.
Why shouldn't AMD follow them? If consumers are such sheep that they'll slit their own throats for an nVidia card, why shouldn't AMD demand that they slit their wrists for one of theirs? If you're running a business and your competitor raises their prices to pie-in-the-sky levels, then not increasing your own prices to both beat theirs and increase your own margins would get you removed as CEO by the shareholders.
Let alone when they can't compete.
This sentence reveals that nVidia's marketing has successfully programmed you. You say that they can't compete and yet nVidia is the younger of the two GPU makers. If Radeon couldn't compete, it wouldn't have kept AMD afloat during the FX-era and would be dead today so actual events prove your words false. You have failed to see through nVidia's marketing BS. I have to admit that it's very effective marketing BS because it seems that most people have fallen for it and what it does is set a parameter in your brain that is illogical, a parameter that will always show nVidia as better no matter what. This is why a lot of people in marketing are psychologists, they know how to change the way people think.

What nVidia wants is for you to be unable to separate the card from the branding. The truth is that the competition is not between AMD and nVidia, in fact, it never was. The competition is between the individual cards at the individual performance tiers and/or price points. Like, the RTX 4090 and RX 7900 XTX don't compete with each other because they're too far separated in price and performance tier. I'll use some scenarios to reveal the illogical parameter that nVidia put in your subconscious, the one that makes you believe that nVidia is "just better, because". You won't be able to deny my result in the end.

Your statement is that Radeon can't compete with GeForce which means that the RX 7900 XTX can't compete with the RTX 4080 so let's examine those two cards.

The RX 7900 XTX's GPU is faster than the GPU of the RTX 4080:

The RTX 7900 XTX's RT engine is inferior to that of the RTX 4080:

Average price at Microcenter:
RX 7900 XTX - $1,063.64
RTX 4080 - $1,314.21

The RX 7900 XTX is, on average, $250.57 less expensive than the RTX 4080.

So, you say that AMD can't compete, period which makes this scenario valid. Therefore, your parameters are that a card with a faster GPU can't compete with a card that has a more robust RT engine, even if it is, on average, $250.57 less expensive. I'm not judging, I'm just revealing the parameter that nVidia has implanted in your subconscious mind. You'll see the glaring flaw soon enough.

Now, let's look at the RX 7900 XTX vs the RTX 4070 Ti because your statement also means that the RX 7900 XTX can't compete with the RTX 4070 Ti so we'll examine that scenario as well.

The RX 7900 XTX's GPU is faster than the GPU of the RTX 4070 Ti:

The RX 7900 XTX's RT engine is superior to that of the RTX 4070 Ti:

RTX 4070 Ti - $824.89
RX 7900 XTX - $1064.64
The RTX 4070 Ti is, on average, $239.75 less expensive than the RX 7900 XTX.

Now we evaluate the results:
Parameter #1 - The RX 7900 XTX has the faster GPU
Scenario #1 - YES
Scenatio #2 - YES
Parameter #1 remains valid.

Parameter #2 - The RX 7900 XTX's RT engine is inferior
Scenario #1 - YES
Scenario #2 - NO <- The RX 7900 XTX's RT engine is superior

Parameter #3 - The card with the slower GPU and superior RT engine is at least $250.57 more expensive

Scenario #1 - YES
Scenario #2 - NO <- The RX 7900 XTX has the faster GPU, superior RT engine and is only $239.75 more expensive than the RTX 4070 Ti.

What these scenarios show is that the RTX 4070 Ti is the uncompetitive product because it loses to the RX 7900 XTX in all performance types and is closer in price to the RX 7900 XTX than the RX 7900 XTX is to the RTX 4080, despite the fact that the RX 7900 XTX's GPU is faster than that of the RTX 4080.

Because your parameters more than reverse themselves when the cards are switched, your parameters comparing the two brands are irrational and will always end with an nVidia win. You can't deny that the RX 7900 XTX and RTX 4080 are far more similar in peformance than the RX 7900 XTX and the RTX 4070 Ti, even though the RX 7900 XTX and RTX 4070 Ti are actually closer in price. Looking at this objectively, the RTX 4070 Ti is actually competing against TWO Radeon cards because we've accepted that the RX 7900 XTX competes with the RTX 4080. Since the competitive price radius is ~$250, the RTX 4070 is facing the RX 7900 XTX and so there's no reason whatsoever to buy the RTX 4070 Ti.

Can you now see what an illogical mess that nVidia has managed to fool you into believing? I'm not showing this to insult you I'm showing you this to set you straight, to show you what nVidia has done to you, not for your benefit but for theirs. Now, if you want to be pissed off about it and go hide without responding, then you're a whiny baby and aren't worth the time that I took to do this. However, if you accept the obvious and objective reality of the situation, then you're a man and I'm glad I could help because that's all that I'm trying to do. I've been building PCs since 1988 and I've literally seen it all at this point.

In any case, I know that someone else reading this will be nodding their head at what I wrote and if it helps them, it was worth the time and effort.
It's bad because after years of high prices, performance stagnation and nVidia's behavior, people want to buy a 7900XT/XTX at the right price.
Nah, nVidia's bad behaviour has been going on for decades but only people who pay attention to tech are even remotely aware of it. For most people, they know as much about GeForce vs Radeon as they do about GE vs Whirlpool.

It's the people who DO know and still support companies like nVidia and/or Intel who I say are self-centred psychopaths. This is of course restricted to people who only game because it's reasonable to give people who need specific Intel or nVidia features for professional applications a pass.

that makes no sense, on one side console users don't care about the components, like i said they would buy consoles with a coca cola APU, and sony and microsoft would never go for it, they are paying for a component not marketing a company, maybe if AMD made a big discount
Actually it makes perfect sense because it gives them more brand awareness. Just because someone owns a console doesn't mean that they'll never own a PC and if they're familiar with AMD, they'll happily use it. That's why the "Intel inside" sticker was so successful. It put the brand into people's heads.

So, AMD feels their prices are ok...loool
Imagine if RTX 4080 instead of being 4% behind in 4K raster vs 7900XTX was 4% faster and Nvidia was going with the message "Fastest GPU under $1200" it would have been equally ridiculous...

------------------------------------------------------
Anyone remember seeing prices in Newegg (way before Black Friday) like $219 RX 6600 entry models (when RTX 3050 which isn't even comparable in raster was at $259 or more) or $535 ASRock RX 6800XT Phantom Gaming - not an entry model - (when at the same time entry RTX 3080 models was going for $699 at best in the same store) or $369 RX 6700XT entry models etc. (all these without mail-in rebates, for example RX6600 was going $189 with $30 mail-in rebates...)
Now it makes sense why (8% market share in Q3) AMD partners was willing to sell at so low prices... (of course at these prices it was easy to recommend only AMD cards to my friends!)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Only if people are such sheep that they're willing to pay that. I was a sheep myself and paid way more for my card than I should have. In my defence, I've learnt my lesson and will never do it again. The customers define the prices based on what they're willing to pay. People are fed up and so only the cards that give "not horrible" performance for the money are getting sold (RTX 4090, RX 7900 XTX). Cards like the RTX 4080, RX 7900 XT and even the RTX 4080 12GB4070 Ti are already gathering dust.

Why shouldn't AMD follow them? If consumers are such sheep that they'll slit their own throats for an nVidia card, why shouldn't AMD demand that they slit their wrists for one of theirs? If you're running a business and your competitor raises their prices to pie-in-the-sky levels, then not increasing your own prices to both beat theirs and increase your own margins would get you removed as CEO by the shareholders.

This sentence reveals that nVidia's marketing has successfully programmed you. You say that they can't compete and yet nVidia is the younger of the two GPU makers. If Radeon couldn't compete, it wouldn't have kept AMD afloat during the FX-era and would be dead today so actual events prove your words false. You have failed to see through nVidia's marketing BS. I have to admit that it's very effective marketing BS because it seems that most people have fallen for it and what it does is set a parameter in your brain that is illogical, a parameter that will always show nVidia as better no matter what. This is why a lot of people in marketing are psychologists, they know how to change the way people think.

What nVidia wants is for you to be unable to separate the card from the branding. The truth is that the competition is not between AMD and nVidia, in fact, it never was. The competition is between the individual cards at the individual performance tiers and/or price points. Like, the RTX 4090 and RX 7900 XTX don't compete with each other because they're too far separated in price and performance tier. I'll use some scenarios to reveal the illogical parameter that nVidia put in your subconscious, the one that makes you believe that nVidia is "just better, because". You won't be able to deny my result in the end.

Your statement is that Radeon can't compete with GeForce which means that the RX 7900 XTX can't compete with the RTX 4080 so let's examine those two cards.

RX 7900 XTX - $1,063.64
RTX 4080 - $1,314.21

So, you say that AMD can't compete, period which makes this scenario valid. Therefore, your parameters are that a card with a faster GPU can't compete with a card that has a more robust RT engine, even if it is, on average, $250.57 less expensive. I'm not judging, I'm just revealing the parameter that nVidia has implanted in your subconscious mind. You'll see the glaring flaw soon enough.

Now, let's look at the RX 7900 XTX vs the RTX 4070 Ti because your statement also means that the RX 7900 XTX can't compete with the RTX 4070 Ti so we'll examine that scenario as well.

RTX 4070 Ti - $824.89
RX 7900 XTX - $1064.64

Scenario #1 - YES
Scenatio #2 - YES

Scenario #1 - YES

Parameter #3 - The card with the slower GPU and superior RT engine is at least $250.57 more expensive

Scenario #1 - YES
Scenario #2 - NO <- The RX 7900 XTX has the faster GPU, superior RT engine and is only $239.75 more expensive than the RTX 4070 Ti.

What these scenarios show is that the RTX 4070 Ti is the uncompetitive product because it loses to the RX 7900 XTX in all performance types and is closer in price to the RX 7900 XTX than the RX 7900 XTX is to the RTX 4080, despite the fact that the RX 7900 XTX's GPU is faster than that of the RTX 4080.

Because your parameters more than reverse themselves when the cards are switched, your parameters comparing the two brands are irrational and will always end with an nVidia win. You can't deny that the RX 7900 XTX and RTX 4080 are far more similar in peformance than the RX 7900 XTX and the RTX 4070 Ti, even though the RX 7900 XTX and RTX 4070 Ti are actually closer in price. Looking at this objectively, the RTX 4070 Ti is actually competing against TWO Radeon cards because we've accepted that the RX 7900 XTX competes with the RTX 4080. Since the competitive price radius is ~$250, the RTX 4070 is facing the RX 7900 XTX and so there's no reason whatsoever to buy the RTX 4070 Ti.

Can you now see what an illogical mess that nVidia has managed to fool you into believing? I'm not showing this to insult you I'm showing you this to set you straight, to show you what nVidia has done to you, not for your benefit but for theirs. Now, if you want to be pissed off about it and go hide without responding, then you're a whiny baby and aren't worth the time that I took to do this. However, if you accept the obvious and objective reality of the situation, then you're a man and I'm glad I could help because that's all that I'm trying to do. I've been building PCs since 1988 and I've literally seen it all at this point.

In any case, I know that someone else reading this will be nodding their head at what I wrote and if it helps them, it was worth the time and effort.

Nah, nVidia's bad behaviour has been going on for decades but only people who pay attention to tech are even remotely aware of it. For most people, they know as much about GeForce vs Radeon as they do about GE vs Whirlpool.

It's the people who DO know and still support companies like nVidia and/or Intel who I say are self-centred psychopaths. This is of course restricted to people who only game because it's reasonable to give people who need specific Intel or nVidia features for professional applications a pass.

Actually it makes perfect sense because it gives them more brand awareness. Just because someone owns a console doesn't mean that they'll never own a PC and if they're familiar with AMD, they'll happily use it. That's why the "Intel inside" sticker was so successful. It put the brand into people's heads.
Well done. And that's why AMD needs that sticker on 'their' consoles. Or something, somewhere, as a strong reminder every time this 'runs on AMD'.

Nvidia commands a premium because AMD has shit marketing, and this has been going on for at least two full decades, if not longer.
Nvidia also commands a premium because the perception is that they're having less (or smaller) problems. And, again, a part of that reality is marketing. Another part is consistency. Said it a lot before... consistency = trust. Consistent releases, product stacks, etc. That's why we have the x80/x70ti shitstorm as it is. Nvidia damaged its consistency. People strongly dislike that, from what used to be 'a reliable party'.

Note how I'm not saying a thing about the GPUs themselves. The 7900 line up is fine. RDNA2, is fine. But the stuff around it, shows us a company unwilling to really make a dent. That goes for the vapor chamber fail as much as it goes for its pricing compared to Nvidia, but also the volume they put out in the market, and also the late AIB showings.

Last edited:
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit

RX 7900 XTX - $1,063.64
RTX 4080 - $1,314.21

RTX 4070 Ti - $824.89
RX 7900 XTX - $1064.64

Scenario #1 - YES
Scenatio #2 - YES

Scenario #1 - YES

Scenario #1 - YES

....a hell of a reading mate!!

At first, AMD cannot compete with nVidia in general, that's why their 7900XTX competes with the 4080 and not the 4090. The last time they competed was in 7970 era.

Second, the 7900XTX is 5% faster than the 4080 and 16 (up to 35+) in raster and RT, respectively.
So it cannot compete with it. And that's why it costs less.
For me it's not cheaper enough to justify the difference in performance. I remind you that anyone can find similar RT performance in a used 3080/3090 or less money.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the AMD pricecut.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I think they need more X's in the names of cards.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
clearly the 6900xt was vaporware and never actually existed
What world do you live in? The 6900Xt was one of the most readily available cards you could buy retail.

System Name Self-built
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B550 Plus
Cooling Scythe FUMA 2 + various case fans
Memory 16GB: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 at 3800C16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Eagle RTX3070
Storage 2x WD Black m.2 nvme 1TB, WD HDD 6TB, Crucial 750MX300,
Display(s) LG 27GN950
Case DeepCool E-Shield
Audio Device(s) Int: RealTek ALC892, NVidia GA104 HD Ext: LG 27GN950, Behringer DEQ2496, DCX2496, A500. etc
Power Supply Seasonic Core GM-650SRM
Software Linux Mint + Windows11 pro
Benchmark Scores Not worthy of attention
Personally, I buy the 'best' card for my needs, when I need them (not very often).

Traditionally, I bought ATI/AMD since the old VGA Wonder days and wrestling with the dreaded Catalyst Command Center. How I hated that software, which insisted on being the only method for installing ANY graphics driver! Needing a half-height low (75w) wattage card, the GTX1050Ti made by MSI was outstanding for its small graphics card. I suggest that the 10-series from nVidia was what really launched them into the lead. I even managed to get it to play MSFS (at low frame rates with all the eye-candy turned off).

At the end of 2020 I needed a new build, and chose the RTX3070, bought on launch day, at MSRP. Sure, it was probably double the price I'd have liked to have paid! On the other hand, it pretty much kept up with a 2080, which cost double - at least that's how I justified it to myself. Like many others who have splashed out during Covid, I don't expect to buy a graphics card for years to come.

So sorry, AMD, but you can't do anything to get me to buy a Radeon card (short of blowing up my 3070).
Now, an X3D.........
(I bet those have better margins, too)

I think AMD will be in a difficult spot with its graphics division. AMD is getting better at diversifying, so that income and opportunity are better managed as a whole. But I don't think it really needs to compete at the top-end of the graphics card space.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Well done. And that's why AMD needs that sticker on 'their' consoles. Or something, somewhere, as a strong reminder every time this 'runs on AMD'.

Nvidia commands a premium because AMD has shit marketing, and this has been going on for at least two full decades, if not longer.
Nvidia also commands a premium because the perception is that they're having less (or smaller) problems. And, again, a part of that reality is marketing. Another part is consistency. Said it a lot before... consistency = trust. Consistent releases, product stacks, etc. That's why we have the x80/x70ti shitstorm as it is. Nvidia damaged its consistency. People strongly dislike that, from what used to be 'a reliable party'.

Note how I'm not saying a thing about the GPUs themselves. The 7900 line up is fine. RDNA2, is fine. But the stuff around it, shows us a company unwilling to really make a dent. That goes for the vapor chamber fail as much as it goes for its pricing compared to Nvidia, but also the volume they put out in the market, and also the late AIB showings.
I thought this old ATI (pre AMD) ad was particularly tasteless considering the trend of SWATing streamers

I think AMD marketing works well for what it is, they seem to create a large die hard forum fan base using astroturfing, though it can get a bit cringe conspiracy theory oriented. I've never seen any Nvidia or Intel purchasers willing to shill as hard for their respective purchased product's manufacturer.

Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
....a hell of a reading mate!!
You have my respect my friend. I wasn't sure if you'd reply but here you are and that shows you're solid. ;)
At first, AMD cannot compete with nVidia in general, that's why their 7900XTX competes with the 4080 and not the 4090. The last time they competed was in 7970 era.
Actually, the last time that AMD competed in the top-end with nVidia was with the R9 Fury and Fury-X because they toppled the GTX 980 from its perch and nVidia had to scramble to release the GTX 980 Ti to take the crown back.

What I think you mean is that Radeon can't compete with GeForce at the very top-end, which I do agree with, but I don't know if it's a matter of "can't" or "can't be bothered". Producing a card like the RTX 4090 probably costs a mint and honestly, if I were VP in charge of ATi, I doubt that I'd be interested enough to incur the cost of producing such a niche product, especially since the relatively few people that do buy those cards generally want nVidia anyway because of brand perception. I can just hear people saying, "I'm not spending $1,600 on a Radeon!" which would make it a financial disaster for AMD.

What I meant was that AMD competes very well at the price points that most people are willing to spend (sub-$1000). Sure, nothing can touch the 4090 but I have absolutely ZERO interest in a card like that, even if I were rich (because I'd feel stupid buying it) and I'm pretty sure that 99% of the GPU market feels the same way. When you think about it, what does the RTX really offer that can't be achieved with the RTX 4080 or RX 7900 XTX? Maybe RT gaming at 4K without using DLSS or FSR? Definitely not worth $600 to me, not even close. Maybe it has some professional-level capabilities, but if I'm a graphics professional, I'm not looking for GeForce, I'm looking for Quadro.
Second, the 7900XTX is 5% faster than the 4080 and 16 (up to 35+) in raster and RT, respectively.
So it cannot compete with it. And that's why it costs less.
That's only true if you care about RT. I don't care about RT (because I can't tell the difference anyway) and so, for me, the RTX 4080 cannot compete with the RX 7900 XTX because the RX 7900 XTX is still the faster card. It's really just a matter of perspective. When you look at it the other way, like I showed with the RTX 4070 Ti, it also cannot compete with the RX 7900 XTX unless someone literally can't afford anything better. Now, the RX 7900 XT is a completely different story altogether because that's as useless as the RTX 4070 Ti but still costs more. That card's a real $hit-show! :laugh:
For me it's not cheaper enough to justify the difference in performance. I remind you that anyone can find similar RT performance in a used 3080/3090 or less money.
You're not wrong and in those situations, that's what people should do because they'll get a lot more for their money that way.
Anyway, I'm still waiting for the AMD pricecut.
It's coming, of that there can be no doubt. However, if you have an RTX 3090, just keep using that until the pricing fixes itself and it will fix itself. The way things are right now just isn't sustainable. I guess that we can call this the "GPU Bubble" and like all bubbles, sooner or later, it's going to burst. I actually see PC tech in general having a price bubble which is why I grabbed an R7-5800X3D on sale. I'm going to stick with my X570 mobo, 32GB of DDR4-3200 and my RX 6800 XT for as long as I can. When you don't need something, you can pick and choose the most advantageous time to buy it. I'm going to watch how the AM5 platform shapes up and then decide what to get and when to get it. I might not need to though because by the time my R7-5800X3D is no longer really viable for gaming, AM6 might be out!

Here's to hoping, Cheers! :peace:

I thought this old ATI (pre AMD) ad was particularly tasteless considering the trend of SWATing streamers

I think AMD marketing works well for what it is, they seem to create a large die hard forum fan base using astroturfing, though it can get a bit cringe conspiracy theory oriented. I've never seen any Nvidia or Intel purchasers willing to shill as hard for their respective purchased product's manufacturer.
I don't shill for AMD, I just refuse to support Intel or nVidia because of the first-hand experiences I got when I worked for Tiger Direct. The only reason that I buy Radeon cards and Ryzen CPUs is because there's nothing else. If VIA started making CPUs, chipsets and S3 GPUs again, I'd be looking just as hard at them as I do towards AMD. I'm not a fanboy, I'm a hater. Having said that, my all-AMD experience that started with a Phenom II X4 940 and an XFX Radeon HD 4870 has been extremely positive. If it sucked as bad as the Intel and nVidia fanboys try to claim, there's no way I would have kept going back.

BTW, if you say that you've never seen Intel or nVidia shills, you're either lying or you're blissfully blind to it. The thing is that Intel and nVidia marketing is better than AMD's so they get reviewers and "influencers" to shill for them because it's far more effective. You don't see what they do because they make it very subtle, like putting Radeon cards at the bottom of a chart even when they're out-performing their GeForce counterparts. Little things like that add up in people's brains and do influence their thought patterns. Marketing is just another form of psychology and the ones most affected by it are generally the ones most likely to buy into religion. The more intelligent people are much harder to fool.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA + Logitech G840 XL K/DA
Keyboard Logitech G Pro TKL K/DA
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
It's coming, of that there can be no doubt. However, if you have an RTX 3090, just keep using that until the pricing fixes itself and it will fix itself. The way things are right now just isn't sustainable. I guess that we can call this the "GPU Bubble" and like all bubbles, sooner or later, it's going to burst. I actually see PC tech in general having a price bubble which is why I grabbed an R7-5800X3D on sale. I'm going to stick with my X570 mobo, 32GB of DDR4-3200 and my RX 6800 XT for as long as I can. When you don't need something, you can pick and choose the most advantageous time to buy it. I'm going to watch how the AM5 platform shapes up and then decide what to get and when to get it. I might not need to though because by the time my R7-5800X3D is no longer really viable for gaming, AM6 might be out!

That's the conclusion I am coming to. With AMD's incessant technical issues and NVIDIA's crappy pricing, I might as well just try and hold with my 3090 through this generation, and just buy the 5090 when it's out. Or, the 8900 XTX/RDNA 4, if AMD ever gets their things straight.

Ugh. It's the first time I ever, and I mean ever, in over 15 years, that I feel the market and the situation is so utterly bad, it can't be salvaged, and I should just stay put.

Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
That's the conclusion I am coming to. With AMD's incessant technical issues and NVIDIA's crappy pricing, I might as well just try and hold with my 3090 through this generation, and just buy the 5090 when it's out. Or, the 8900 XTX/RDNA 4, if AMD ever gets their things straight.
The driver issues that occur with Radeon cards are REALLY overblown and I can say that because I've been gaming happily with Radeons since 2008. If they were really that bad, I'd have stopped buying them. My RX 6800 XT has NEVER had a driver issue and for that matter, neither did my RX 5700 XT. I did have to RMA the 5700 XT (first Radeon I ever had trouble with) but it wasn't the drivers, it was the power delivery system. I know this because when I was getting system stability issues, the issues immediately stopped when I popped back in one of my R9 Furies. I didn't even re-install the drivers, I just used the same installation and it worked perfectly. If drivers are bad, they're bad for all cards. Needless to say, when I got my replacement RX 5700 XT from XFX, I didn't re-install the drivers because I wanted to see how they'd react. They worked perfectly.
Ugh. It's the first time I ever, and I mean ever, in over 15 years, that I feel the market and the situation is so utterly bad, it can't be salvaged, and I should just stay put.
Well, being able to stay put is one of the perks of buying a higher-end card, eh? ;)

Personally, I buy the 'best' card for my needs, when I need them (not very often).

Traditionally, I bought ATI/AMD since the old VGA Wonder days
There's a blast from the past! The first video card I ever owned was the EGA Wonder! Ah, I feel old as dirt now! :laugh:

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
that really has nothing to do with the survey, does it.
actually yes, since the original post depict a "grim" outcome, where theres is hardly one in view, in the end

and that does not change the fact that these console have a Radeon GPU in the SOC :p just not a discrete one

and i mentioned it nonetheless
well actually no, since it only focus on discrete ... oh well nothing really grim in the end, just logical follow up of these awful and weird time we got recently since 2020.

anyway, AMD did not have to do single thing for me to buy a Radeon, that RX 6700 XT i am rocking atm is the best bang for buck i had in years ... well i could have gone 3060Ti or a 3070 for the same performances, but the price was quite a bit higher (disclaimer, i do not rally care about RT ) thus i voted with my budget and wallet.

as i said in my first post on the thread: "i am glad and satisfied that i bough a Radeon GPU" :laugh:

The driver issues that occur with Radeon cards are REALLY overblown and I can say that because I've been gaming happily with Radeons since 2008.
same here ... while i had only one real issue with and ATI/AMD cards since 1991 (ATI Mach64 VT :laugh: ) i had countless rollback on Nvidia (starting with a TNT1 till a 1070 )

Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
clearly the 6900xt was vaporware and never actually existed
Well, his definition of competition seems to be trading the top spot back and forth and the RX 6900 XT and RX 6950 XT weren't right at the top of the pile with the RTX 3090 and 3090 Ti but they were damn close and cost about $500 less. They were still rip-offs because they were themselves $350 more expensive than the RX 6800 XT but only like 9% faster. They did completely out-perform the RTX 3080 though, there's no doubt about that. Every time I see some "expert" trying to compare the RTX 3080 with the RX 6900 XT I'm like "The RTX 3080 competed with the RX 6800 XT!". This is a part of how nVidia's marketing machine works, make subtle inferences that are nonsensical to other tech experts because the average Joe won't know better and there aren't enough honest tech experts to make that big of a difference.

IIRC, the last time that the fastest card in the world was a Radeon was when the R9 Fury and Fury-X both toppled the GTX 980. They held the #1 and #2 spot until nVidia managed to release the GTX 980 Ti. They then held the #2 and #3 spot for the rest of the generation. To me though, competition is about offering a product that people think is worth buying over your competitor's product. The fact that Radeon has survived this long means that they have been able to compete successfully against nVidia.
What world do you live in? The 6900Xt was one of the most readily available cards you could buy retail.
Selaya is referring to gffermari's assertion that Radeon hadn't competed with GeForce since the HD 7970. The RX 6900 XT definitely DID compete with nVidia's RTX 3090/Ti because it was faster at 1080p and 1440p but it was slower at 2160p. I could never understand why that was, but it was.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA + Logitech G840 XL K/DA
Keyboard Logitech G Pro TKL K/DA
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
The driver issues that occur with Radeon cards are REALLY overblown and I can say that because I've been gaming happily with Radeons since 2008. If they were really that bad, I'd have stopped buying them. My RX 6800 XT has NEVER had a driver issue and for that matter, neither did my RX 5700 XT. I did have to RMA the 5700 XT (first Radeon I ever had trouble with) but it wasn't the drivers, it was the power delivery system. I know this because when I was getting system stability issues, the issues immediately stopped when I popped back in one of my R9 Furies. I didn't even re-install the drivers, I just used the same installation and it worked perfectly. If drivers are bad, they're bad for all cards. Needless to say, when I got my replacement RX 5700 XT from XFX, I didn't re-install the drivers because I wanted to see how they'd react. They worked perfectly.

Well, being able to stay put is one of the perks of buying a higher-end card, eh? ;)

There's a blast from the past! The first video card I ever owned was the EGA Wonder! Ah, I feel old as dirt now! :laugh:

It's not the drivers I am referring to, for once. I agree, Radeon driver issues are overblown (though they were very much real in the RDNA 1 days), but... it's the whole nonsense with zero availability of custom design AIB cards and the defective reference design cooling that will most certainly end in a recall, no matter how much AMD fights it.

I just don't feel it... and NVIDIA's product stack is an insult to their customers and to their own engineering team. Ada truly is a quantum leap in microarchitecture engineering - the only problem is that there is no product in the market, much less any product that customers can actually purchase, that display this achievement. The RTX 4090 is the closest to it, but with 14 SMs plus all associated L2$ disabled, and with the improvements that are on tap for the year, I refuse to bestow that product the award it deserved for best in class, as it simply does not display the Ada architecture's true potential. It's a shame, and triple shame on NVIDIA for trying to pass that -60 class turd as a 4080 12 GB, and then finally releasing it as a 4070 Ti with a $100 cut - they still make money!

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I don't shill for AMD, I just refuse to support Intel or nVidia because of the first-hand experiences I got when I worked for Tiger Direct. The only reason that I buy Radeon cards and Ryzen CPUs is because there's nothing else. If VIA started making CPUs, chipsets and S3 GPUs again, I'd be looking just as hard at them as I do towards AMD. I'm not a fanboy, I'm a hater. Having said that, my all-AMD experience that started with a Phenom II X4 940 and an XFX Radeon HD 4870 has been extremely positive. If it sucked as bad as the Intel and nVidia fanboys try to claim, there's no way I would have kept going back.

BTW, if you say that you've never seen Intel or nVidia shills, you're either lying or you're blissfully blind to it. The thing is that Intel and nVidia marketing is better than AMD's so they get reviewers and "influencers" to shill for them because it's far more effective. You don't see what they do because they make it very subtle, like putting Radeon cards at the bottom of a chart even when they're out-performing their GeForce counterparts. Little things like that add up in people's brains and do influence their thought patterns. Marketing is just another form of psychology and the ones most affected by it are generally the ones most likely to buy into religion. The more intelligent people are much harder to fool.
Well, tiger direct is/was pretty sleazy.

Well, his definition of competition seems to be trading the top spot back and forth and the RX 6900 XT and RX 6950 XT weren't right at the top of the pile with the RTX 3090 and 3090 Ti but they were damn close [ ... ]

wdym it was exactly trading blows w/ the 3090; basically all reviews had at least one title that outperformed the 3090 generally, and a lot outperformed the 3090 @1080p

So im curious why people always talk bad about amd drivers.. ive had ati/amd and nvidis cards for 20+ years.. besides some bad drivers back in the ati radeon days.. i havent had issues ? Ever... and this is 20+ years of owning... 9700pros R9 fury.. 4870s and now a 6900xt...

In fact i remember nvidia cheating in the past lowering details via drivers to inflate framerate..

What im more worried about is AMD graphics devision not being funded properly anymore.. and them fading away... Then we will all be stuck with nvidia.. Market manipulated by 1 brand isnt fun.. Its why the gov forced Intel to have AMD as competition back in the early days when they were formed.

But if nvidia has 88% market share.. then i guess everyone loves buying overpriced cards

Low quality post by eidairaman1

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hmm interesting

Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
You have my respect my friend. I wasn't sure if you'd reply but here you are and that shows you're solid. ;)

Actually, the last time that AMD competed in the top-end with nVidia was with the R9 Fury and Fury-X because they toppled the GTX 980 from its perch and nVidia had to scramble to release the GTX 980 Ti to take the crown back.

What I think you mean is that Radeon can't compete with GeForce at the very top-end, which I do agree with, but I don't know if it's a matter of "can't" or "can't be bothered". Producing a card like the RTX 4090 probably costs a mint and honestly, if I were VP in charge of ATi, I doubt that I'd be interested enough to incur the cost of producing such a niche product, especially since the relatively few people that do buy those cards generally want nVidia anyway because of brand perception. I can just hear people saying, "I'm not spending $1,600 on a Radeon!" which would make it a financial disaster for AMD.

What I meant was that AMD competes very well at the price points that most people are willing to spend (sub-$1000). Sure, nothing can touch the 4090 but I have absolutely ZERO interest in a card like that, even if I were rich (because I'd feel stupid buying it) and I'm pretty sure that 99% of the GPU market feels the same way. When you think about it, what does the RTX really offer that can't be achieved with the RTX 4080 or RX 7900 XTX? Maybe RT gaming at 4K without using DLSS or FSR? Definitely not worth $600 to me, not even close. Maybe it has some professional-level capabilities, but if I'm a graphics professional, I'm not looking for GeForce, I'm looking for Quadro.

That's only true if you care about RT. I don't care about RT (because I can't tell the difference anyway) and so, for me, the RTX 4080 cannot compete with the RX 7900 XTX because the RX 7900 XTX is still the faster card. It's really just a matter of perspective. When you look at it the other way, like I showed with the RTX 4070 Ti, it also cannot compete with the RX 7900 XTX unless someone literally can't afford anything better. Now, the RX 7900 XT is a completely different story altogether because that's as useless as the RTX 4070 Ti but still costs more. That card's a real $hit-show! :laugh:

You're not wrong and in those situations, that's what people should do because they'll get a lot more for their money that way.

That thing about RT. We are in 2023 and most AAA games will have or even require RT acceleration. You can't say you don't care about RT. Atomic Heart, The Witcher, Alan Wake 2, Control 2, Cyberpunk 2, whatever with Unreal Engine 5 etc. will require strong RT performance.
Don't you care for these titles? Only for simply developed competitive MP fps?

AMD cannot charge that amount of money when their cards do not perform in RT. I don't care if they spit 2000fps in 1080p in COD or any other simple game. These games are playable anyway with ancient cards as well, like mine and worse.
I care how they perform where it matters. At 1440p/4K+RT.

By the way, the 7900XTX RT performance is very good. Not just acceptable.
Only in specific nVidia titles, like Portal RTX, it performs poorly.
AMD just had to price it at 799 or 849 max and kill the entire nvidia lineup.
The price should be mostly defined by the RT performance. The raster one is so excessive that it doesn't matter anymore. No matter what card from 3060Ti and above you have, the raster performance is ridiculously high.

I wrote it again. AMD should work with Epic on Unreal Engine 5's software/hardware ray tracing, so their cards perform on RTX level and better. Most next gen titles are being developed using UE5.
AMD has already a small advantage by accelerating the consoles but both of them are painfully slow on RT and the developers will cut features from their games.
The pc ports could take the most of the RDNA3 architecture if AMD work together with Epic.
Or nVidia will pay to make use of their tech and screw AMD once again.

So im curious why people always talk bad about amd drivers.. ive had ati/amd and nvidis cards for 20+ years.. besides some bad drivers back in the ati radeon days.. i havent had issues ? Ever... and this is 20+ years of owning... 9700pros R9 fury.. 4870s and now a 6900xt...

In fact i remember nvidia cheating in the past lowering details via drivers to inflate framerate..

What im more worried about is AMD graphics devision not being funded properly anymore.. and them fading away... Then we will all be stuck with nvidia.. Market manipulated by 1 brand isnt fun.. Its why the gov forced Intel to have AMD as competition back in the early days when they were formed.

But if nvidia has 88% market share.. then i guess everyone loves buying overpriced cards

I have various issues with AMD cards(5700XT temps, RX470 bios, R9 Nano spikes, 7970Ghz Crossfire gpu usage, 6950/70 stability after core unlocking, 4850 none, X1950Pro, 9600XT...don't remember) but never with their drivers.

The DIY pc gamers need a strong nVidia competitor. But AMD and consoles are ...some years behind nVidia.
Radeon department will not exist if they lose selling tech to the consoles and being 1 gen behind on the pcs for a 3-4 gens.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
That thing about RT. We are in 2023 and most AAA games will have or even require RT acceleration. You can't say you don't care about RT.
The thing is, from your very first line your totally wrong, I have a vega64, not the best at RT, I have yet to hear of any issue running any game, that will change in time Im sure But that "most" bit is a laughable stretch.

Second you can say you don't care about RT, lots of games and game moments at this point are little better than pre baked or the pre baked were at a level that was adequate, car games Never seen to gain much for example.

Plus given the performance Deg on competent path tracing it's still, not worth it for some.

And I own a lot of games now, probably near 500 minimum, the percentage of those that have RT isn't great, effectively I'm quite happy with the 2060 for a look into RT without much cost and to be fair, with dlss 2 even that GPU can use RTX effectively,. obviously with some compromise.

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%

RX 7900 XTX - $1,063.64
RTX 4080 - $1,314.21

RTX 4070 Ti - $824.89
RX 7900 XTX - $1064.64

Scenario #1 - YES
Scenatio #2 - YES

Scenario #1 - YES

Scenario #1 - YES

When you start comparing prices, that by itself proves that amd cant compete. The prices can drop the 7900xtx on the other hand can't get faster. Nvidia dictates amds prices cause they do in fact have a better product. It has nothing to do with marketing

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

that can't help at all