• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dream Machine bad brand? good brand?

HiddenStupid

Processor x2 4400+
Memory 3gig
Video Card(s) 8800 gts 512mb
Power Supply 500w zumax
Dream Machine, bad brand? good brand?

What is your Dream Machine? I mean spec... but realistic example not a time machine and what component brand you have bad experience with and what brand you very worship?

heres my Dream Spec:
- AMD Athlon64 FX-74 quad-core
- dual 300gb internal hdd, 15,000rpm, 16mb cache
- Blue Ray burner
- 8gig Buffalo Firestix rams
- dual 2900XT 1gig version in crossfire mode
- E-Mu 1616M 16 channels sound card
- Physx card
- Killer Nic card
- Altec Lansing FX5051 89 watts 5.1 surround sound system
- 1000watt Antec TruePower Quattro psu
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
- liquid cooling
- custom see through hard plastic glass case
- gigantic fan that cover each side of the case
- red lighting fancy neon colors
- every components all red color like ram, video card, mobo etc....
- Machine name: The Blood Demon

I chose amd processor cause so far I have no problem with amd cpu. I have bad experience with intel cpu's..... got celeron 466mhz and it auto reboot often and sometimes wont boot. got pentium3 1.10ghz on laptop and it is out of order for less than 3 years of purchase. got pentium4 3.0ghz 630 and going to folder full of pictures seems slower than my athlon64 3200+ winchester.

chose dual 300gb instead of one piece 1tb hdd is cause as i study theres no 1tb that has 15,000rpm so ill go with dual 300gb 15,000rpm, 16mb cache instead.

chose blu ray over hd dvd is... just felt like it.

chose buffalo firestix ram is cause i really admire and worship buffalo brand! last time i bought a used, dirty, no antena, junk looking buffalo router at ebay.... and it works flawlessly! no random disconnect! nothing at all! before i bought a Dlink router brand new sealed and it disconnect me randomly! and oftenly! like evry 10min! it disconnect me and auto connect itself... even i bought brand new sealed! i never deal with Dlink again and buffalo really made me proud! so buffalo brand got my credit... so now i am pretty sure all their product are reliable and good! although it dont seems that they are not a pure specializing ram company such like crucial or kingston but i really think they are great on ram too! 8gig ram to assure no sudden hicup lagg exist! stable and steady performance! oh yeah I bought PNY ram and inside wasnt PNY ram! it was something else! will never tust PNY again and will never deal with PNY product again. Buffalo is the most trusted brand for me.

chose ati radeon hd2900xt is cause i have always use ati cards and have never have a problem! been using x300se, x700pro and x850xt and no problem at all! also i notice myself that ati has better image quality, sharp and brilliant colors! i mena usually i always hear ati has great image quality but never see it for myself and now i experience myself that ati is truly have superior image quality! i took game screenshots and compare with others with 6800 ultra and 7800gt on max settings and mannn my ati x850xt card are indeed superior image quality! deep, sharp and brilliant color! also ati tends to have more shader power than nvidia cards so its a crysis proof since crysis diffinitely eats alot of shader power... and ati card will be perfect for crysis!

chose E-Mu for sound card is that.... I have bad experience with creative lab. I bought the basic 30 bucks creative lab sound card 24bit.... it have driver problem.... like sometimes it will randomly set itself to 2 channel when i already set to 5.1 it did it often. and sometimes it made one of the speaker dont work, I had to reboot to make it work. Will never deal with Creative Lab again... although i have not try their high end sound card but still i have a feeling that i dont trust it.

chose Physx card.... for realistic atmosphere and physics... movements...

chose Killer Nic card to boost up connection.... reduce connection lagg especially a great idea if you playing a mmorpg that the server located at Malaysia and you're from USA... such as a mmo called Perfect World.... connection lagg like the sound of attacks will delay.... and the attack animation are delay. I always have connection lagg problem when playing games that hosted in malaysia when im in USA and im sure Killer Nic will help.

chose antec psu is cause... its just top of the line psu brand in my opinion! Ultra is a good acceptable quality and affordable while antec is superb quality! Ultra is good quality... Antec is superb quality!!!!

chose windows vista is cause.... duhh its the latest windows! and also im choosing the 64bit since 64bit will surely take 8gig ram to the fullest!

Last edited:
Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
celeron = guano

try a core2 processor and you never want to hear about that other brand again ..

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
Not much for a dream machine come on go EXTREME :laugh: I've had more problems with AMD cpus than intel.

Id have a Phenom in my pc obviously they arnt out yet.

Id swap those hard drives for some of those hybrid drives with flash memory they could work great in the future but only if the software and drivers are right, plus id get a soundcard just because its a dream machine and should have a soundcard maybe a creative because of support for thier soundcards but ive heard there are better soundcard manufactuers out there.

Oh and id get a blu ray burner and a hd dvd drive im not sure if you can get combo at the moment or even if you can get a hd dvd burner but its good to have those so you can backup large amounts of data like all your pirate games lol or large videos to one disk.

GO AMD i have had a 1.2ghz Duron or was it 1.1ghz in an old pc i had and it worked like a dream got me great speeds in Half life 2 and never stopped working untill last month i put it 2 rest in the garage so i could bin it hmmn you make me want to set it up see if she runs so i can use it for surfing the net and shit downstairs.

My other pc in the house has a 3200+ Athlon and it was a great pc guess what in the back of the Far Cry manual it says to buy a Athlon for best performance.

My new x2 4600+ only cost me £45 can you get an intel for that price that would kick ass no!

Id also have a physx card just for the fact this pc has everything else in it, and id have an internal card reader handy for the camera and ds flashcard!

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
heres my Dream Spec:
- 2 Top of the line XEONS
- dual seagate 7200.10 300gb internal hdd, 15,000rpm, 16mb cache
- 4gig Mushkin (top of line) rams
- dual 2900XT 1gig version in crossfire mode
- 1000watt PCPOWER & COOLING psu
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit or xp
- phasechange 24/7
- some lian li case
- physx card

HiddenStupid

Processor x2 4400+
Memory 3gig
Video Card(s) 8800 gts 512mb
Power Supply 500w zumax
Id have a Phenom in my pc obviously they arnt out yet.

Id swap those hard drives for some of those hybrid drives with flash memory they could work great in the future but only if the software and drivers are right, plus id get a soundcard just because its a dream machine and should have a soundcard maybe a creative because of support for thier soundcards but ive heard there are better soundcard manufactuers out there.

Oh and id get a blu ray burner and a hd dvd drive im not sure if you can get combo at the moment or even if you can get a hd dvd burner but its good to have those so you can backup large amounts of data like all your pirate games lol or large videos to one disk.

GO AMD i have had a 1.2ghz Duron or was it 1.1ghz in an old pc i had and it worked like a dream got me great speeds in Half life 2 and never stopped working untill last month i put it 2 rest in the garage so i could bin it hmmn you make me want to set it up see if she runs so i can use it for surfing the net and shit downstairs.

My other pc in the house has a 3200+ Athlon and it was a great pc guess what in the back of the Far Cry manual it says to buy a Athlon for best performance.

My new x2 4600+ only cost me £45 can you get an intel for that price that would kick ass no!

Id also have a physx card just for the fact this pc has everything else in it, and id have an internal card reader handy for the camera and ds flashcard!

you mention things I miss... will update

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Most here would say QX6850, dual 8800 ultras, etc... not me. I want a good performing, yet economical solution.

Keeping AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (probably OC to 3GHz)
Keeping DFI Lanparty 590 SLI
Ditching case, getting an Antec 900
Ditching PSU, getting Corsair 620HX
Ditching cooling, getting Arctic Freezer 64 Pro
Ditching video card for sure, getting SLI 8800GT 512MB when they come out.
Ditching my DDR2-533 memory, getting some Crucial Ballistix DDR2-667 (running at 800+ speeds)
Ditching my monitor for sure, getting a square 17" LCD.
Ditching my crappy headset, getting a nice one
Keeping my hard drives, my WD Caviar 250GB scored 250MB/s, my 120GB Maxtor scored 122MB/s.
Keeping DVD burner, keeping floppy dirve.